Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: American Horror Story
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »
*Spoilers Below*

So this is sort of why I watch.

Precious mates with a bull.
Dirty mom jerks Frankenstein off and is later trophied to death.
Woman envisions voodoo fertility rite that ends with masturbation tease and goat's blood.
Tears over negro presidents.
Jessica Lange gnaws on scenery like the queen diva she should be.
The younger Farmiga girl is a better actress than her older sister.
A jizz reference from Julia Roberts' neice.

A couple of snappy one-liners.

And......

Why I feel like I shouldn't watch

Cartoonish characterization of Christians.

Not horror, but an interesting show. Is more about social misfits finding their place in the world than it is horror. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
*Spoilers Below*

So this is sort of why I watch.

Precious mates with a bull.
Dirty mom jerks Frankenstein off and is later trophied to death.
Woman envisions voodoo fertility rite that ends with masturbation tease and goat's blood.
Tears over negro presidents.
Jessica Lange gnaws on scenery like the queen diva she should be.
The younger Farmiga girl is a better actress than her older sister.
A jizz reference from Julia Roberts' neice.

A couple of snappy one-liners.

And......

Why I feel like I shouldn't watch

Cartoonish characterization of Christians.

Not horror, but an interesting show. Is more about social misfits finding their place in the world than it is horror.
Agree.

Precious diddling herself whilst getting caressed by a Minotaur got me hot & bothered...wait, what?

On the real, Eric Roberts' daughter is hot. Hope she's not gone for realz.

As for the Christians thing? I know my opinion is invalidated by most of you, but I don't think that was a generalization of ALL Christians any more than Kathy Bates is supposed to generalize ALL southerners as flagrantly racist evil villain.

It's American horror story, and this season in particular is focusing on the "horrors of the south", so to speak. Slave owners, voodoo, etc. Now they're adding in another element, which is the Westboro Baptist, stand in the French Quarter with a bullhorn and a giant cross and pontificate about how everyone around them are going to hell, type of nuts. I don't think it's their intention to stereotype all Christians this way. But there are those type of people, and they're more based in reality than witches or voodoo. And they're creepy.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:35:06 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
As for the Christians thing? I know my opinion is invalidated by most of you, but I don't think that was a generalization of ALL Christians any more than Kathy Bates is supposed to generalize ALL southerners as flagrantly racist evil villain.

Having read about the people who make this show, I'm pretty sure that's basically how they see all Southerners and Christians. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »
Twisty the Clown, tho.

If y'all gave up on this show for the last two seasons, you may want to give it one more try. Looks creepy as fuck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »
Twisty the Clown, tho.

If y'all gave up on this show for the last two seasons, you may want to give it one more try. Looks creepy as fuck.

Watched it and yes, it is very creepy. This would be a wonderful show for all those who have clown phobias.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »

It's American horror story, and this season in particular is focusing on the "horrors of the south", so to speak. Slave owners, voodoo, etc.

So did this show focus on the evil BLACK slave owners?

Because in LA, there were equal number white and black slave owners....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »
So did this show focus on the evil BLACK slave owners?

Because in LA, there were equal number white and black slave owners....

One of the most ruthless and notorious slave owners in the south was William Ellison.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
Y'all still watching?

I dare say this is better than even the first season. Damn sure creepier.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
Y'all still watching?

I thought this was even more creepier, especially the stuff that comes up on Google when you search this.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
Y'all still watching?

Disagree.  First season was near perfect. Couldn't wait for the next episode because I didn't know what was going to happen next.  It hasn't sustained that, even with the pretty decent Coven. 

A lot of Freakshow is excess for the sake of excess.  Nothing to do with horror.  While the setting is certainly weirder, Coven was better.  This is drifting into Asylum territory and I bailed on it after three episodes. 

The acting is particularly bad so far in this one.  Even Jessica Lange is faltering. 

Yeah the clown is a weirdo, but the rest of the story just isn't getting the job done.  The clown's spoiled brat pal is particularly stupid and grating.  Whenever he's on the screen I'm inclined to turn it off. 

I don't know that adding weirdo creepy next door kid from American Beauty is going to improve the situation, but his "extra face" looks stupid and is poorly executed.  You'd think that in a series that makes me forget there isn't a real two-headed girl, they could have done better with that.   Speaking of two-head?  There's a continuity issue with her neck mole that drives me insane.  Sometimes it's there, sometimes not depending on the shot.  Somebody needs to pay attention. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »
I don't know that adding weirdo creepy next door kid from American Beauty is going to improve the situation, but his "extra face" looks stupid and is poorly executed.  You'd think that in a series that makes me forget there isn't a real two-headed girl, they could have done better with that.   Speaking of two-head?  There's a continuity issue with her neck mole that drives me insane.  Sometimes it's there, sometimes not depending on the shot.  Somebody needs to pay attention.

I'm sure you could care less but apparently that the writers have taken this character out of The Book of Lists.

From the always trusting Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Mordake
Edward Mordrake was the name given to an apocryphal 19th-century heir to an unspecified English peerage who was said to have suffered from a form of Diprosopus. According to sources, he had, on the back of his head, an extra face which could neither eat nor speak out loud, although it was described as being able to laugh and cry. Edward reportedly begged doctors to have his "Demon face" removed, claiming that it whispered to him at night, but no doctor would attempt it. He committed suicide when he was 23 years old. [1]

The story has been disputed in the past and was likely at least enriched with fictional elements.[2] The description of Edward Mordrake's condition is somewhat similar to those of Chang Tzu Ping[3] and Pasqual Pinon. Both Mordrake and Pinon are featured as the "2 Very Special Cases" on a list of "10 People With Extra Limbs or Digits" in 1976 edition of The Book of Lists.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »
I'm sure you could care less but apparently that the writers have taken this character out of The Book of Lists.

From the always trusting Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Mordake

No offense, but what does that have to do with anything?

I know who Mordrake is.  It's the execution of the character on the show that's problematic for me.  The back face looks incredibly fake. 

I've got several problems besides the double face looking phony and stuck on with spirit gum. 

Kathy Bates - Don't like her all that much and her accent is asinine here.  Not sure what she's trying to do with it, but it's not working. 

Michael Chicklits - He was good in The Shield, but not so much anything else.  I'm not buying him as an impotent strongman. 

Lange - Another shitty effort at an accent.  And stop letting her sing.  Stop letting any of the fuckers sing.  Now.  It's not Glee.

Two Head's mole.  It's there. It's not there. It's there. It's not. 

The shows are too long.  Cut out half an hour of talking, PLEASE. 

And even Mordrake.  We're supposed to be scared of this spirit coming to take away a freak?  Yeah... if his method of selecting which one to remove includes BORING IT TO DEATH.  Jesus, he shows up and Bates babbles for 27 minutes in that shitty accent and he doesn't even kill her ass, just says "well, sorry milady"  What a waste.  Nothing to fear from him at all.  So yeah, pfffftttt. 

Make the show about the clown only, cut it to an hour and wrap it the fuck up. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
No offense, but what does that have to do with anything?

I know who Mordrake is.  It's the execution of the character on the show that's problematic for me.  The back face looks incredibly fake. 

I've got several problems besides the double face looking phony and stuck on with spirit gum. 

Kathy Bates - Don't like her all that much and her accent is asinine here.  Not sure what she's trying to do with it, but it's not working. 

Michael Chicklits - He was good in The Shield, but not so much anything else.  I'm not buying him as an impotent strongman. 

Lange - Another shitty effort at an accent.  And stop letting her sing.  Stop letting any of the fuckers sing.  Now.  It's not Glee.

Two Head's mole.  It's there. It's not there. It's there. It's not. 

The shows are too long.  Cut out half an hour of talking, PLEASE. 

And even Mordrake.  We're supposed to be scared of this spirit coming to take away a freak?  Yeah... if his method of selecting which one to remove includes BORING IT TO DEATH.  Jesus, he shows up and Bates babbles for 27 minutes in that shitty accent and he doesn't even kill her ass, just says "well, sorry milady"  What a waste.  Nothing to fear from him at all.  So yeah, pfffftttt. 

Make the show about the clown only, cut it to an hour and wrap it the fuck up.

Well, to be honest I didn't realize that some of these characters actually existed. That makes it a little more creepy imo. My post are on the heels of seeing some of the images of these folks that Google provides. Weird but interesting really.

I agree with you especially on Kathy Bates accent. That bugs me. Also, the spoiled rich kid. He bugs me. I was hoping the black maid lady was going to slap the piss out of him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »
I'll give you Kathy Bates's weird accent and the musical element. The singing is extra dumb because they're clearly anachronistic. Fiona Apple? Lana Del Rey? The show is set in 1952 and the Del Rey song references Jim Morrison in the chorus.

Completely disagree about Dandy Mott. Super creepy and a compliment to the supremely creepy Twisty the Clown.

I also think the Mordrake demon face was pretty well done as well for a network cable TV production. It's not at all stuck on with spirit gum. It's clearly a CGI effect, as the face moves. It's not supposed to look exactly like a normal human face. It's a weird vestigial extra face.

Your strongman critique seems vague and forced.

I haven't noticed the mole continuity thing, but seems pretty minor considering the pretty amazing special effect for, again, a network cable television show.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »
Well, to be honest I didn't realize that some of these characters actually existed. That makes it a little more creepy imo. My post are on the heels of seeing some of the images of these folks that Google provides. Weird but interesting really.
They've done that a lot in the show. Like the Axeman, Marie Laveau, and Delphine LaLaurie from Coven. They also had the Black Dahlia in Season 1 and Anne Frank in Asylum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
They've done that a lot in the show. Like the Axeman, Marie Laveau, and Delphine LaLaurie from Coven. They also had the Black Dahlia in Season 1 and Anne Frank in Asylum.

I didn't watch too much of the first several seasons. I did some of the season where they were in the Asylum but not enough to follow the story line. So far I find it pretty interesting just because they seem to tip toe the company line when it comes to cable TV. To be honest, my interest was peaked watching the intro to the show. I think I saw one of the conjoined skeletons humping the other and the conjoined girls towards then end fingering each other.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
Meep
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2014, 03:43:18 PM »
Where does she fit in?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions