Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What Happened To The Stoppers?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
What Happened To The Stoppers?
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
In looking at the 2012 class, it's easily apparent that we loaded the wagon on offense.  With a focus on O-linemen, 5 highly rated guys all going 6'6" and 6'7", we solidified that position for years to come when you factor in the 2011 O-line class.  TE is stocked after getting the #2 player in the nation along with 6'7" Darrion Hutcherson.  Again, they picked up 2 at that position last year and Lutz has another year.  The receiving corp just got real exciting with the addition of 2 big time studs...with big being the key word there.  With Bray and Reed and Stallworth etc. we've had a band of speedy dwarfs out there.  Now, we have a 6'2" blazer and 6'4" animal to contend with.  Pike, Prosch and Robinson round out a class that stockpiled talent on that side of the ball. But...

What the hell happened to the defensive recruiting? I guess my theory of Chizik being a defensive guy, bringing in an experienced, highly regarded DC from the NFL and being able to offer playing time in the SEC West just flew the frick out the window.  As I asked earlier, did we get one commit after Van Gorder was announced?  If you're a big time LB, would you not be licking your chops to come to Auburn?  If you're a 6'5" 260 lb. beast of a DE, shouldn't you be kicking down the door of Van Gorder's office.  Lemonier had his moments last year but overall, pressure off the ends wasn't exactly the trademark of last year's D.  Sure, I'm going to follow all the new guys and hope they turn out to be the proverbial diamonds in the rough.  It's not like we didn't get some talent in guys like Holsey and Jones, who by the way is legitimately shitcherpants fast.  However, the 29th ranked this and 42nd ranked that don't exactly raise your expectations of what's to come. 

Is it considered an epic fail with the recruiting on that side of the ball?  As much as we talked about getting coordinators in place, is there some reason that Van Gorder's hiring did nothing to sway even one big time defensive recruit our way?  This is not meant to be a sky is falling take.  But, come on.  We're coming off the worst 3 year stretch of defense in Auburn history and we get a Gimel President and a Tyler Nero on the line..and one and a half linebackers in our class.  What happened?  Negative recruiting?  Didn't focus on that side of the ball?  Van Gorder's been out of the college recruiting game too long?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

Re: What Happened To The Stoppers?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:16:48 PM »
In looking at the 2012 class, it's easily apparent that we loaded the wagon on offense.  With a focus on O-linemen, 5 highly rated guys all going 6'6" and 6'7", we solidified that position for years to come when you factor in the 2011 O-line class.  TE is stocked after getting the #2 player in the nation along with 6'7" Darrion Hutcherson.  Again, they picked up 2 at that position last year and Lutz has another year.  The receiving corp just got real exciting with the addition of 2 big time studs...with big being the key word there.  With Bray and Reed and Stallworth etc. we've had a band of speedy dwarfs out there.  Now, we have a 6'2" blazer and 6'4" animal to contend with.  Pike, Prosch and Robinson round out a class that stockpiled talent on that side of the ball. But...

What the hell happened to the defensive recruiting? I guess my theory of Chizik being a defensive guy, bringing in an experienced, highly regarded DC from the NFL and being able to offer playing time in the SEC West just flew the frick out the window.  As I asked earlier, did we get one commit after Van Gorder was announced?  If you're a big time LB, would you not be licking your chops to come to Auburn?  If you're a 6'5" 260 lb. beast of a DE, shouldn't you be kicking down the door of Van Gorder's office.  Lemonier had his moments last year but overall, pressure off the ends wasn't exactly the trademark of last year's D.  Sure, I'm going to follow all the new guys and hope they turn out to be the proverbial diamonds in the rough.  It's not like we didn't get some talent in guys like Holsey and Jones, who by the way is legitimately shitcherpants fast.  However, the 29th ranked this and 42nd ranked that don't exactly raise your expectations of what's to come. 

Is it considered an epic fail with the recruiting on that side of the ball?  As much as we talked about getting coordinators in place, is there some reason that Van Gorder's hiring did nothing to sway even one big time defensive recruit our way?  This is not meant to be a sky is falling take.  But, come on.  We're coming off the worst 3 year stretch of defense in Auburn history and we get a Gimel President and a Tyler Nero on the line..and one and a half linebackers in our class.  What happened?  Negative recruiting?  Didn't focus on that side of the ball?  Van Gorder's been out of the college recruiting game too long?

We clearly had our sights set on some big time D croots, and we missed.  Goldman, Kwon, Darby.  We missed.  Those would have made this a top 3 class.  I like them swinging for the fences, but sometimes, you strike out.  I wanted Goldman in the worst possible way.  Then Kwon.  We know Saban and Miles can croot.  But it seems Fisher and Coach Boom can too.  Tough out there these days. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:19:41 PM »
And, even though we didn't land those bigger names, we did add a 4 star croot each at DT, LB, and DB.  So, it's not a complete bust defensively.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »
I would have liked to have had another LB and big DL, but oh well. When you recruit the top players in the nation, you miss on a couple. No since in feeling the roster with 2*'s if they aren't going to play any way. We had a good DL recruiting year the past 2 years, so we should be OK. Nero and President should be solid. President is a Parade all-american and I have read good things about Nero.

CB T.J. Davis, 6'1 180

"T.J. is a quality person, an outstanding student. Auburn has a really special guy here," Godby High School coach Ronnie Cottrell said.

"(T.J.) can run, and I think he's a better open field tackler than anything else. He's not afraid to come up and strike you, he's been a four year varsity player and it's because he will come up and hit you. He originally made his name on special teams as a gunner," said Godby assistant Cleon McFarlane.

CB Joshua Holsey, 5'11 175

"He's a big-time film reader," Creekside High School coach Johnny White said. "He likes watching film and going through progressions. A lot of times, he knows what routes teams like to run. He reads the ball very well, and covers ground very well."

CB Jonathan Jones, 5'10 184

"Jonathan has been a three year starter for us. He has great speed and explosion and has really improved his ball skills. He drives on the ball really well and is a sure tackler when he arrives at the ball," said Carrollton High School coach Andrew Fowler. "He is a coachable and disciplined player who works hard in the weight room and at practice. He is a great student athlete who will be a valuable addition to the Auburn football program. Not only is he a great player, but he is a quality young man as well."

LB Cassanova McKinzy, 6'3 233

"We sure are going to miss him around here," said Woodlawn High School coach Bruce Breland. "It's a good fit, I think he definitely has the ability to come in and help them out there. He picks up on the game well, he understands the game. He has explosiveness to the ball, he's capable of being physical, he could dominate physically.

"I know Auburn does a great job of helping athletes mature, not just athletically but emotionally. I expect to see him become a young man and mature. Cassanova has said he wants to get down there as soon as he can after he graduates to start working out with the older guys. He's real enthused about getting started, he doesn't want to be a freshman. He already wants to be thought of as a older kid coming in."

LB Javiere Mitchell, 6'2 209

"The speed of the game won't hurt him, I think his speed is one of his strengths," Leeds High School coach Keith Etheridge. "He'll have to adjust to not having contact right when the ball is snapped, like at defensive line in high school. He'll gain some weight, he was 203 when he left here. He can adjust quick to linebacker, he's going to have great coaching at Auburn. If he puts his mind to it, which I know he will, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting soon. He's a quality kid that will be one of those kids that you won't even know he's down there until practice time and game time. I've never had an issue with him."

DT Tyler Nero, 6'2 290

"There's no doubt in my mind, Tyler is the best defensive tackle in the state of Alabama," Escambia County High School coach Mark Heaton said. "This is a guy that is going to turn some heads at the next level. He's very explosive, he plays with a high motor and he's wide open. He may be a little shorter than other defensive tackles, but he chases the ball from sideline to sideline like a linebacker.

"I'm telling you, Tyler has something about him most kids don't have. It's a God-given ability. He's so quick off the ball and he has natural instincts you can't teach. He has the highest motor I've ever been around."

DE Gimel President, 6'4 250

"Gimel is a tremendous young man that comes from a very supportive and involved family.  They have instilled a strong work ethic and dependable moral character in Gimel," said Wando High School coach James Noonan. "President has all of the athletic tools to be a great player in the SEC.  His body is long, rangy, and explosive.  Gimel has a great first step and has equally quick hands.  He has the potential of gaining mass, giving him the ability to play inside or on the edge."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:43:08 PM »
Come on Snaggle...get your head out of your pooper man.

We got guys named Cassanova and Gimel ...thats fuckin money right there man!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »
Godby High School coach Ronnie Cottrell

Did not know that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »
Godby High School coach Ronnie Cottrell

Did not know that.

Didn't realize that either
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »
We got cleaned by Saban and Jimbo. Fuck how hard is that to admit?
Auburn failed miserably in its recruiting efforts on the defensive side of the ball.
I like who we got but we had immediate needs which should have drawn the elite for quicker playing time...and it didn't.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »
Auburn failed miserably in its recruiting efforts on the defensive side of the ball.
I like who we got but we had immediate needs which should have drawn the elite for quicker playing time...and it didn't.

I think considering how clean Chizik recruits (Not making promises to lesser players he can't keep like fuckstick Saban), he did well. Like he said, it's Russian Roulette. Ive never seen so many coaches get butthurt over not getting a recruit. Saban would kill his children to get a 5 star lineman he really wanted. I like the way our staff goes about their business with some integrity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:20:43 AM »

Not every kid is looking for "immediate playing time" as the primary reason to commit.  If they were, bammer wouldn't land any big time croots.

We missed on some big names we were after, but I can't call it a complete failure when we did land a 4 star DB, 2 4 Star LBs, and a 4 star DT.  We're loaded at DE now as it is, and we got need filling players at every other spot.  Yes, I wanted Goldman, and yes I wanted Kwon.  We missed.  It happens. 

This staff takes a whole different approach to recruiting.  Tubs used to primarily focus on kids within a 4 hour drive, and kids he was virtually certain he would land, regardless talent, or their ability to qualify.  The only star players he got, were usually Auburn locks anyway, and the few he stole, like Cadillac, were in state kids.

Go back and look on Rivals at Auburn's 2002, 03, 04 classes that are littered with 2 star players.  Plenty!  Tell me how many of them turned out to be "diamonds in the rough".  Damn few if my memory serves.  The 2004 class had 29 commits, and 13 fucking 2 star players.  THIRT-MOTHRER-FUCKIN'-TEEN!  Two had NONE!  Over half the class were 2 star and below!  Of those players I recall Blake Field, only because he was a QB, Tyronne Greene who came in as a DT, and wound up being a starting OL, Merrill Johnson and Chris Evans I think were ok LBs, Lorenzon Ferguson I think contributed at DB, and James Swinton a contributing WR.  None of those guys were stars, and the bulk of them did jack shit at Auburn, but hey, Tubs got a huge signing class!  Tubs efforts in recruiting were already declining.  2004 happened because they had worked hard in 2000, 2001, and 2002. 

This staff?  They're getting on planes, and going to California, Wash. DC, Tx. etc.  The only time Tubs ever got on a plane was to go to Miami.  This staff is making legit efforts at kids who would never otherwise consider Auburn.  They've landed a few too.  Yes, as they should, they're still working AL, GA, FL and MS hard, and they're going for the best players there too, not just taking in any kid that will come to fill NSD numbers.  This staff hasn't signed a single 2 star in the last 2 classes, and of the handful they did in 2009 and 2010, one was a good kicker (Steven Clark), and one was Darren Bates, who according to his commitment date just days prior to NSD, was a Chizik recruit, or at least one he honored from Tubs offer. 

We landed a top 12 class.  We finished ahead of every SEC team except bammer, UF, and UGA is one spot ahead of us on the strength of 2 5 star players.

The fact we didn't "round out" the class with 2 or 3 star nobodies, tells me this staff doesn't even fuck with them.

Did we miss on some?  Yes.  Miserable failure on any level?  Not even close. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:44:30 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Oh, and lets not forget the period where we had no coordinators, and everybody was out there convincing kids Auburn was going to have to shut down it's football program because nobody wanted to coach there, not to mention the fact that early recruiting efforts for this class were badly hampered by the shadow of an NCAA investigation with all the rumors, lies, and innuendo that accompanied it.

I'd have to say the job they did was admirable under the attending circumstances.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
The only time Tubs ever got on a plane was to go to Miami.  T

Not true. 
He duck hunted a lot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
Not true. 
He duck hunted a lot.

And Arkansas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
Not true. 
He duck hunted a lot.

What...the man doesn't get a vacation?

It isn't the ducks fault they can only be shot during recruiting season.  Slave drivers the lot of you!

Y'all are obsessed with football..wining...over rated!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:39:48 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »
Not every kid is looking for "immediate playing time" as the primary reason to commit.  If they were, bammer wouldn't land any big time croots.

We missed on some big names we were after, but I can't call it a complete failure when we did land a 4 star DB, 2 4 Star LBs, and a 4 star DT.  We're loaded at DE now as it is, and we got need filling players at every other spot.  Yes, I wanted Goldman, and yes I wanted Kwon.  We missed.  It happens. 

This staff takes a whole different approach to recruiting.  Tubs used to primarily focus on kids within a 4 hour drive, and kids he was virtually certain he would land, regardless talent, or their ability to qualify.  The only star players he got, were usually Auburn locks anyway, and the few he stole, like Cadillac, were in state kids.

Go back and look on Rivals at Auburn's 2002, 03, 04 classes that are littered with 2 star players.  Plenty!  Tell me how many of them turned out to be "diamonds in the rough".  Damn few if my memory serves.  The 2004 class had 29 commits, and 13 fucking 2 star players.  THIRT-MOTHRER-FUCKIN'-TEEN!  Two had NONE!  Over half the class were 2 star and below!  Of those players I recall Blake Field, only because he was a QB, Tyronne Greene who came in as a DT, and wound up being a starting OL, Merrill Johnson and Chris Evans I think were ok LBs, Lorenzon Ferguson I think contributed at DB, and James Swinton a contributing WR.  None of those guys were stars, and the bulk of them did jack shit at Auburn, but hey, Tubs got a huge signing class!  Tubs efforts in recruiting were already declining.  2004 happened because they had worked hard in 2000, 2001, and 2002. 

This staff?  They're getting on planes, and going to California, Wash. DC, Tx. etc.  The only time Tubs ever got on a plane was to go to Miami.  This staff is making legit efforts at kids who would never otherwise consider Auburn.  They've landed a few too.  Yes, as they should, they're still working AL, GA, FL and MS hard, and they're going for the best players there too, not just taking in any kid that will come to fill NSD numbers.  This staff hasn't signed a single 2 star in the last 2 classes, and of the handful they did in 2009 and 2010, one was a good kicker (Steven Clark), and one was Darren Bates, who according to his commitment date just days prior to NSD, was a Chizik recruit, or at least one he honored from Tubs offer. 

We landed a top 12 class.  We finished ahead of every SEC team except bammer and UGA is one spot ahead of us on the strength of 2 5 star players.

The fact we didn't "round out" the class with 2 or 3 star nobodies, tells me this staff doesn't even fuck with them.

Did we miss on some?  Yes.  Miserable failure on any level?  Not even close.

I think I said this with far fewer words already.

But, you are spot on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »

But, you are spot on.
You gotta give JR credit he wasn't a ledge jumper like the majority on here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »

But, you are spot on.

After thinking on it a few days since NSD, you and JR are right. NSD is just frustrating that way. Chiz and staff are doing a great job recruiting, no two ways about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »
You gotta give JR credit he wasn't a ledge jumper like the majority on here.

I admit I was creeping to the ledge as Chizad and Kaos tempted me to join them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »
I admit I was creeping to the ledge as Chizad and Kaos tempted me to join them.
Creeping?!?.... Chizad was already about to hit the ground luckily (for him) an Young awning saved him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 12:50:22 PM »
Creeping?!?.... Chizad was already about to hit the ground luckily (for him) an Young awning saved him.

By that time Kaos had already committed suicide via firearm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE