Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: "Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
But Jesus Christ on ice skates, it really IS that simple! Fucks sakes, even OSU's head coach said Alabama should be ranked #2. Alabama is #2 because the BCS, which is the system used to determine BCS rankings, says they're #2. If it comes out next week and says OSU is #2, then OSU is #2. Because the BCS says so.
Fuck me. If you've been arguing for 10 pages as to whether or not the BCS currently has Alabama at #2 or not, you are dumber than I could have imagined.

This would have sufficed.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

The argument is, who should be #2, dipshit.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:56:50 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
A system like that would encourage everybody to play shitty teams all the time, and would encourage decent teams to stay away from other decent teams. Every decent team would be racing every other decent team to sign the shittiest teams to their schedules as quickly as possible, because you won't be factoring SOS into any kind of formula. Then you're going to have a fuckton more undefeated, 1 loss, 2 loss teams. Then that creates that much more of a problem when trying to decide who goes to the championship game, and by the way, you've eliminated SOS out of the equation. So, now instead of having to decide from (hypothetical) two no loss teams, you have to pick from 20. Not sure how that solves the problem.

Do you want to watch shitty football all season long?

It already happens.  Bama played Penn State out of conference.  The other 3 opponents were Kent State, North Texas and Georgia Southern.  Auburn played Climpsum....Utah State, FAU and Samford.  You can go down the list of BCS teams and see pretty much the same thing everywhere.  I don't think anyone in the SEC is playing that one big game OOC to prop up their schedule.  Those are money games. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »
It already happens.  Bama played Penn State out of conference.  The other 3 opponents were Kent State, North Texas and Georgia Southern.  Auburn played Climpsum....Utah State, FAU and Samford.  You can go down the list of BCS teams and see pretty much the same thing everywhere.  I don't think anyone in the SEC is playing that one big game OOC to prop up their schedule.  Those are money games.
So, why doesn't Alabama just go join C-USA and play a total schedule of shit teams? Why doesn't Arkansas join the Sun Belt conference, and play a total schedule of shit teams? All of the "better" teams could just join separate shitty conferences, not have to play each other, not have to beat each other to death in the SEC every week, and be one of the 20 undefeated teams at the end of the season. And then how are you going to decide which two of those 20 undefeated teams go, because you have effectively eliminated SOS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

RWS

« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
The argument is, who should be #2, dipshit.
Alabama. Because the BCS says they should be.

Funny how OSU gets all of this credit for having a better SOS than Alabama, but nobody wants to penalize them for losing to a shitty unranked ISU. But by God, Alabama should be penalized for losing to the #1 team in the country. That's great that OSU's SOS is better. But when you lose to ISU, what does it all mean?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

noxin

« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
fudges sakes, even OSU's head coach said Alabama should be ranked #2.

He said "right now."  He is setting himself up to motivate his players and say "Now that we've beaten Oklahoma, we should be #2."

It's simple, really.  The "playoff" system we have is that teams are divided into conferences.  Each conference decides how they determine their champion, and that champion should be compared to the other conference champions to determine the championship game participants. I know that this is not stated in the "rules" of the BCS, but the voters were given more weight in the formula a few years back so they could correct situations like this where the computers fucked it up.

Who's to say bama would have been better than 9-3 in the Big Texas conference anyway?  It's considered the best conference this year, and the weekly grind may have been too much for bama to come out unscathed.  I don't know if bama could beat Iowa State in Ames, but I know for certain that LSU can beat bama in Tuscaloosa.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »
I don't know if bama could beat Iowa State in Ames, but I know for certain that LSU can beat bama in Tuscaloosa.

Comedy.

This guy knows it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
So, why doesn't Alabama just go join C-USA and play a total schedule of shit teams? Why doesn't Arkansas join the Sun Belt conference, and play a total schedule of shit teams? All of the "better" teams could just join separate shitty conferences, not have to play each other, not have to beat each other to death in the SEC every week, and be one of the 20 undefeated teams at the end of the season. And then how are you going to decide which two of those 20 undefeated teams go, because you have effectively eliminated SOS.

Easy, because eventually 100K+ will stop showing up to watch you play La. Tech and Memphis.  Because CBS and ESPN will stop awarding multi-million dollah contracts to consistently show Tennessee play Western Kentucky.  The SEC and Big 12 and Pac 29 are not going to disban in order to play shitty teams. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
F'n THIS^^^^

With our current system, you can basically take about 60% of the teams in Division 1 and tell them at the start of the season, "You can go out and beat everybody on your schedule 87-2 this year....but you still aren't sniffing the championship game.....but have a great season".

I don't know why they don't do this.  Set the Mtn. West, Sun Belt, WAC, etc up in another Division, have a championship for them, and the Big Boy League consists of about 60 teams that all have a legit shot to win it all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
I know that this is not stated in the "rules" of the BCS, but the voters were given more weight in the formula a few years back so they could correct situations like this where the computers fucked it up.
In the coaches poll, OSU is ranked #5, and is behind Va Tech and Stanford. In that poll, LSU has 1,475 points, Alabama 1,411 points, and OSU 1,245. In the Harris Poll, OSU is ranked #5, and is behind Stanford and Va Tech. LSU has 2,875 points, Alabama 2,756 points, and OSU has 2,414. Those two polls comprise 66% of the selection process. So, if you're saying the computers are total bullshit, and the voters are the correction to that bullshit, then cool. But if you're saying the computers should be right, at this point, 4 out of 6 computer models used for placement put Alabama ahead of OSU as well. But the computers, as a whole, only have 33% say in placement anyway. Overall in the BCS, Alabama is at .9551 and OSU is at .8712. That is a pretty sizeable gap.

Who's to say bama would have been better than 9-3 in the Big Texas conference anyway?  It's considered the best conference this year, and the weekly grind may have been too much for bama to come out unscathed.  I don't know if bama could beat Iowa State in Ames, but I know for certain that LSU can beat bama in Tuscaloosa.
I don't know if OSU could beat Bama, so how can you definitively say that they are better than Alabama? If ISU could beat OSU, I could just say that Bama would beat OSU. I know that Alabama couldn't beat LSU in Tuscaloosa as well, but that doesn't have anything to do with determining whether or not Alabama is the second best team in the country.

Something else I find interesting is, I bet if LSU and Alabama's roles were reversed, you guys would be saying LSU should get a rematch because they proved in a game so close that they're probably the only ones deserving since it was so close. (Translation: They have the best chance of beating Alabama)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:04:36 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2011, 12:09:08 PM »
We just don't like your team and don't want them in the title game.  How is this so hard to understand?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2011, 12:14:31 PM »
We just don't like your team and don't want them in the title game.  How is this so hard to understand?

Synopsis of the entire thread.

Lock the bitch down NOW.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2011, 12:18:02 PM »
TL; DR
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2011, 12:20:08 PM »
Yall still fighting about this?

bammer has always been #2 in my book.  /thread
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »
Synopsis of the entire thread.

Lock the bitch down NOW.

While true, for the record, I was against it when FSU and UF rematched too.  Don't like, never have.  Since it's bammer, I have 2 reasons to be against it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
So you are saying that 91% of college football coaches, the guys who you constantly remind us know 100000000000000 times more about football than us monday morning armchairs,  are absolutely wrong for voting Alabama as the #2 team in college football.  Right? 

Because you guys keeping pointing at the media, like it's some type of ESPN orgy to have a rematch, but not a word is said about the voting of 33% of the equation?

Oklahoma State had a shot, and they shit the bed AGAINST AND UNRANKED 6-5 TEAM.  But hey, that shouldn't matter, because they didn't have LSU on their schedule.

A. Unless a coach played against bammer this season, I doubt many have, if any, have seen bammer play.

B. Your reading comprehension is bad.  I said it's subjective.  There's no rules.  If the voters, media or coaches suddenly decide they don't want to see a rematch, and vote bammer down to #3, they can, and it ok.   If they simply are of the mindset that they'd like Ok. State to get a shot, so be it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
In the coaches poll, OSU is ranked #5, and is behind Va Tech and Stanford. In that poll, LSU has 1,475 points, Alabama 1,411 points, and OSU 1,245. In the Harris Poll, OSU is ranked #5, and is behind Stanford and Va Tech. LSU has 2,875 points, Alabama 2,756 points, and OSU has 2,414. Those two polls comprise 66% of the selection process. So, if you're saying the computers are total bullshit, and the voters are the correction to that bullshit, then cool. But if you're saying the computers should be right, at this point, 4 out of 6 computer models used for placement put Alabama ahead of OSU as well. But the computers, as a whole, only have 33% say in placement anyway. Overall in the BCS, Alabama is at .9551 and OSU is at .8712. That is a pretty sizeable gap.
I don't know if OSU could beat Bama, so how can you definitively say that they are better than Alabama? If ISU could beat OSU, I could just say that Bama would beat OSU. I know that Alabama couldn't beat LSU in Tuscaloosa as well, but that doesn't have anything to do with determining whether or not Alabama is the second best team in the country.

Something else I find interesting is, I bet if LSU and Alabama's roles were reversed, you guys would be saying LSU should get a rematch because they proved in a game so close that they're probably the only ones deserving since it was so close. (Translation: They have the best chance of beating Alabama)

Here is the main difference that we are argueing. The people that want Alabama to have a rematch, want to justify that Alabama is the #2 team in the nation. It's subjective and we can debate why or how or whatever all day long.

What you guys don't see, is the people that don't want a rematch, don't want a rematch for one reason. We want the National Championship to clearly define a national champion. It will do that if either V. Tech, OSU or even Houston play LSU. If Alabama plays LSU, and Alabama wins, there is absolutely zero chance that a clear cut national champion will be crowned...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »
Here is the main difference that we are argueing. The people that want Alabama to have a rematch, want to justify that Alabama is the #2 team in the nation. It's subjective and we can debate why or how or whatever all day long.

What you guys don't see, is the people that don't want a rematch, don't want a rematch for one reason. We want the National Championship to clearly define a national champion. It will do that if either V. Tech, OSU or even Houston play LSU. If Alabama plays LSU, and Alabama wins, there is absolutely zero chance that a clear cut national champion will be crowned...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^FUCKING THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #217 on: November 30, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »

I get that, but how is it different if Oklahoma State gets in and gets beat by LSU?  We still don't have a clear cut national champion, because Stanford, Boise and Virginia Tech could still finish with one loss.  Who says they couldn't beat LSU?  Not to mention the undefeated Houston team. 

Rarely have we ever had the chance at a clear cut national champion, this year is no different. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2011, 05:33:15 PM »
I get that, but how is it different if Oklahoma State gets in and gets beat by LSU?  We still don't have a clear cut national champion, because Stanford, Boise and Virginia Tech could still finish with one loss.  Who says they couldn't beat LSU?  Not to mention the undefeated Houston team. 

Rarely have we ever had the chance at a clear cut national champion, this year is no different.

You have to rank the "equal" teams some way. And that is what the BCS is for. The BCS is designed to have a clear cut champion. Hell, in 2004, there is a clear cut champion even if Auburn finished 14-0. There will NOT be a clear cut champion if ALabama wins, because LSU and Alabama will have split games.

Stanford, Boise, OSU...whoever besides Alabama and Oregon...will be clear cut champions if they beat LSU. That's the deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
BamaBoy McChestTattoo scoffs at LSU's SOS.

@AJMcCarron: LSU didn't have a particularly difficult schedule this season. #justsaying

Pussy deleted the tweet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions