Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business playing in the National Championship Game"
-Nick Saban 2003

There are questions as to the veracity of the quote.

It was sited in a Wikipedia article (that bammers have since removed, but was there last night) that referenced:

Burwell, Bryan (2003-12-08), Saban Ready for Oklahoma, St. Louis Daily Dispatch

Apparently their online archives don't go that far back.

OSU fans are apparently contacting Mr. Burwell to confirm or deny.

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/twit-world-lights-up-on-saban-quote-of-2003.133613/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: "Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »
"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business playing in the National Championship Game"
-Nick Saban 2003

There are questions as to the veracity of the quote.

It was sited in a Wikipedia article (that bammers have since removed, but was there last night) that referenced:

Burwell, Bryan (2003-12-08), Saban Ready for Oklahoma, St. Louis Daily Dispatch

Apparently their online archives don't go that far back.

OSU fans are apparently contacting Mr. Burwell to confirm or deny.

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/twit-world-lights-up-on-saban-quote-of-2003.133613/

I hate to do it but I just can't subscibe to that logic. If the 2 best teams are in the same conference or further more the same division, only 1 of them CAN possibly win the conference. 1 team has to be the lesser of the two in regards to the conf title, but its still possible that they can both be the 2 best teams in the country. The objective of the BCS is still to pit the 2 best teams in the country against each other. Taking off my orange glasses, right now - I think LSU and Bama are the 2 best. And yes, regardless of that fact, I would hate a rematch.

With Oklahoma it was a little different. They got blasted in their loss. And it was not to the number 1 team in the country either. This year is just a very rare and strange situation.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:50:28 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
I hate to do it but I just can't subscibe to that logic. If the 2 best teams are in the same conference or further more the same division, only 1 of them CAN possibly win the conference. 1 team has to be the lesser of the two in regards to the conf title, but its still possible that they can both be the 2 best teams in the country. The objective of the BCS is still to pit the 2 best teams in the country against each other. Taking off my orange glasses, right now - I think LSU and Bama are the 2 best. And yes, regardless of that fact, I would hate a rematch.

With Oklahoma it was a little different. They got blasted in their loss. And it was not to the number 1 team in the country either. This year is just a very rare and strange situation.
I would argue that because of that very fact, the #1 and #2 teams should never be from the same conference after the season has played out.

In order to win your conference, you have to emerge with the best record over other teams in your conference in the closest thing to a fair playoff system we have: the conference championships. The SEC in particular is set up so that you have to play everyone in your division head-to-head, and then the "best" team from the other division. If you can't win your division, then you shouldn't be the national champion, because you had your shot, and were eliminated.

We've already seen this movie. We know how it ends. We have not seen OSU-LSU. Period.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:44 AM »
I would argue that because of that very fact, the #1 and #2 teams should never be from the same conference after the season has played out.

In order to win your conference, you have to emerge with the best record over other teams in your conference in the closest thing to a fair playoff system we have: the conference championships. The SEC in particular is set up so that you have to play everyone in your division head-to-head, and then the "best" team from the other division. If you can't win your division, then you shouldn't be the national champion, because you had your shot, and were eliminated.

We've already seen this movie. We know how it ends. We have not seen OSU-LSU. Period.

^^^^THIS^^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »

I would probably agree with you 100%, iron clad IF Bama's one loss wasn't by 3 points, in OT  to the #1 team in the country and the conf champion (assuming they beat UGA). Like I said, its just a weird phenomenon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »

If you can't win your confrence you shouldn't be able to play in the BCS championship.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »
"If you can't win your confrence you shouldn't be able to play in the BCS championship."  -Jumbo 2011
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »

Agree. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »
I wish Auburn fans would follow my lead and pay zero attention to the BCS this year. Auburn's not in it so I don't care.

If they (the BCS/Media/Etc.) want a "rematch" fine. Don't care. Not watching.

I'm more concerned about Auburn's lack of push on the defensive line, the swinging gate offensive line, the shoddy QB play, and Trooper Taylor making more of an ass out of himself than am I with anything going on in Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Boise, or Stillwater.

/rant
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »
If there is a rematch, IMO LSU beats the shit out of em this time.  Think back to AU/USCe last year in the SEC Championship game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »
If there is a rematch, IMO LSU beats the shit out of em this time.  Think back to AU/USCe last year in the SEC Championship game.
I don't know about the shit, but I do believe LSU wins.  not to mention it might as well be their home stadium.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »
I don't know about the shit, but I do believe LSU wins.  not to mention it might as well be their home stadium.

Idk, I kinda think LSU puts the hammer down this time too. I saw a team this last Friday that basically mucked around for a quarter and then decided to get serious. Once this happened, LSU looked crazy good. I know that the Hogs D is nowhere close to bamas but its almost like LSU is just toying with people because they are bored.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 03:05:06 PM »
Idk, I kinda think LSU puts the hammer down this time too. I saw a team this last Friday that basically mucked around for a quarter and then decided to get serious. Once this happened, LSU looked crazy good. I know that the Hogs D is nowhere close to bamas but its almost like LSU is just toying with people because they are bored.

Plus this time bammer will have to deal with Jordan Jefferson the entire game.  Say what you want to about him, but he is pretty damn good.  Friday was his first interception of the year.  And yes I know he missed some games to start the season but he had thrown many passes before finally gettting picked off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »
Honey Badger is just sick.  Don't know if I can watch the Second Greatest Game Ever To Be Played.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:07:31 PM »
Honey Badger is just sick.  Don't know if I can watch the Second Greatest Game Ever To Be Played.

Kinda takes away all the build up from the first one doesn't it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »

That dude has some serious get-up. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran a 4.0 to 4.1 40 as fast as he ran that kickoff back against Arkansas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »
That dude has some serious get-up. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran a 4.0 to 4.1 40 as fast as he ran that kickoff back against Arkansas.

Your employer obviously doesnt drug test.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
Your employer obviously doesnt drug test.

One word.........Synthetic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
I would probably agree with you 100%, iron clad IF Bama's one loss wasn't by 3 points, in OT  to the #1 team in the country and the conf champion (assuming they beat UGA). Like I said, its just a weird phenomenon.

Irrelevant. 

By adopting that position you have declared unequivlocally that there is no scenario in which Iowa State beats Alabama in Ames or Oregon beats Alabama in Tuscaloosa or Georgia Tech beats Alabama in Atlanta any other team in the country beats Alabama in any other venue. 

Since those games were not played you cannot state that for certain.  The only things we know for a fact are:

LSU can beat Alabama.  Did that. 

Unless you can somehow prove that Alabama would absolutely, undisputably not lose to ISU, OU or GT then your entire supposition is invalid. 

Games aren't played on paper.  Got to go with what's played on the field.   Alabama had a chance at home.  Doesn't matter what the score was, they didn't get the job done. 

Next. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I think LSU wins simply because of George Jefferson moving on up to the starting spot again.  He was the difference in that first game and he looked pretty damn good this past Friday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."