Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: "Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2011, 12:02:46 PM »
Yes but that is only because they played each other.  OKSU did not get a chance to play LSU to see how they would have fared.  If both teams have one loss how can you honestly say that one team is better than the other if they haven't played.  We know that LSU is better than bama, they played the game...LSU won.  So why replay it?  Why not just give LSU the trophy? If bama beats LSU does that make them better? Nope puts the series at 1-1 so then do they deserve to call themselves champs?
I don't want a rematch. I really really don't. I don't want their ilk to even have the chance to scream out "14!!!" from the trailer tops in January. But Bama could not have lost to LSU any closer. Missed FG's and OT. I am not sure how much closer one can get to a win without actually getting it. Maybe a missed xtra point to end a game or something. In the end, the way the system works is based on an educated opinion of who you think are the 2 best teams in the country, not a round robin or who deserves what based on a previous matchup. That's just my perspective.

The 1-1 point you bring up is very valid though and that's where I agree. The system is flawed. A playoff would fix that, as Sani just eluded to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2011, 12:05:11 PM »
Oh, and for any of those coaches/administrators who argue about how extending the season for a playoff would be too much of a burden, blah, blah, blah....Texas High Schools just finished the 3rd week of playoffs.  To win it all....you have to win 6 games.  Yep, 10 week season and 6 playoff games.     
It has never been about that, that was just an excuse they used, to justify.  Actually haven't heard that in awhile because that argument was nixed due to the fact that Div II has a playoff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2011, 12:06:24 PM »
Don't really care, but this is a fail argument.  ISU obviously would not play they are 6-5.
But in the alternate universe, there is no system to regulate who should be there by who they've played, wins/losses, voters in any polls, computers, etc. That's my point. A strawman argument has been made based on a rule that does not exist. It's throwing the system totally out the window, and creating a system custom tailored to keep Alabama out of the NCG in this one scenario. That's why I said if you're throwing the system out the window, throw it out the fucking window. If you're going to make up a rule and insert it here, change that rule, leave that rule, take out that other rule, then you're not going by the system we have in place. You're not going by any system, except some concoction that has been created.

This alternate system is predicated on the fact that Alabama had their shot and lost, but OSU hasn't played LSU, therefore OSU should now play LSU for the championship. But wait, we don't care about anything else except the fact that LSU and Alabama already played. But OSU lost to ISU. We know that ISU is better than OSU, and in this system nothing else matters except if you already played LSU or not. And in that system, if ISU beat OSU, then why couldn't they play LSU? Since logically we know ISU is better than who "should" be the #2 team (OSU), and ISU hasn't played LSU, so who is to say ISU isn't the better team?

This is what you get into when you make up a bunch of shit that doesn't exist, and apply the logic of a system that doesn't exist that is customized to handle one situation and one situation only.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »
My only problem with this is...IF Alabama ends up at #2 and gets the rematch of
THE GREATEST GAME EVER TO BE PLAYEDand just suppose for a moment they win it with a late field goal...or even in OT.  That makes them 1-1 vs LSU.  How does that make you #1?  Can LSU say, let's make it the best of 3?  No.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

RWS

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
The 1-1 point you bring up is very valid though and that's where I agree. The system is flawed. A playoff would fix that, as Sani just eluded to.
A playoff would potentially create rematches of games played during the regular season. NO FUCKING REMATCHES!!!!!11!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

RWS

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:02 PM »
Don't confuse my stance with me wanting you there. I, in no way, want your asses in that game. I don't like rematches. I don't like that you get to sit home this Saturday while LSU has to earn it by beating a hot UGA team.

BUT....if we are throwing out all the "in season fake bracket, round robins" that people have invented, throwing out the non existing conf title rules that people have invented, throwing out the non existing rematch clause that has appeared from nowhere - if you take away all of that, look behind the hype and smoke and mirrors, and look objectively at who the 2 BEST TEAMS are in the country, that is how I am coming up with LSU and BAMA. No one behind Bama, IMHO, would come within a TD of LSU.  Oregon was/is a top 5-7 team and LSU obliterated them with ease. That was without Jefferson and in the 1st game of the year.

Arkansas was the #3 team in the country (or next in line using the logic of why Bama should not be #2 in this thread), and LSU could have hung 60 on them had they wanted to. At the time, Arky was "NEXT IN LINE", just like VT, OSU and Stanford are now. Sure, its conjecture to think those 3 aren't with a TD of LSU, but so is saying that those 3 are a better FB team than Bama. I look at Bama and LSU as 1a and 1b at this point. That game could have went either way. If Bama had half a kicker, it would have. That game was THAT close. 

Frankly, I hope Bama gets dissed and OSU makes it and gets throttled by LSU. That way Bama gets left out AND it proves my point. Win win. I really think if anyone but Bama plays LSU, it is USC/OU 2004 all over again.
I understand you don't want us there. I don't think anybody here wants us there. Which is fine, because alot of our fanbase is fucking annoying and are morons, and will say/do/wear stupid shit. And I'm with you on that. However, it has acted as blinders to some. Like I've said before, if OSU beats Oklahoma by 30 points or something and the BCS says they play LSU, hey, I'm cool with that. Because that's the system we have to work with. And really, them blowing the doors off OK could happen. But if they lose, and the talk switches to Houston should play in the NCG, I'm going to fucking laugh.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »
Why shouldn't Alabama play?

Because I don't care about the BCS.  I want to see a playoff and failing that  I want to see common sense and fairness. 

If LSU and Alabama play again and Alabama wins then they become national champions.  So we are saying that the LSU loss in the Superdome counts more than the Alabama loss in Tuscaloosa?  If they play again and LSU wins what have we proven? That LSU can beat a team that they have already beaten once.  Where is the fairness and common sense in either of those scenarios?  Same thing if Oregon was the one that might be playing against LSU.

Now if LSU plays Okie State or Va Tech and they beat the pants off of them, so what?  At least we got to see someone new in there.

Ed Zachery.  There's no way in hell it's "fair" to tell LSU "Ok, now this time it REALLY counts."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »
I don't want a rematch. I really really don't. I don't want their ilk to even have the chance to scream out "14!!!" from the trailer tops in January. But Bama could not have lost to LSU any closer. Missed FG's and OT. I am not sure how much closer one can get to a win without actually getting it. Maybe a missed xtra point to end a game or something. In the end, the way the system works is based on an educated opinion of who you think are the 2 best teams in the country, not a round robin or who deserves what based on a previous matchup. That's just my perspective.

It's Snaggle...don't get the two confused, one has no balls and the other likes young womenz.

Again though a loss is a loss on their home field.  You saying that they are the best team is subjective. Was OKSU loss to ISU on the road in double overtime with a tragedy affecting them worse? I have no idea.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2011, 12:14:17 PM »
A playoff would potentially create rematches of games played during the regular season. NO FUCKING REMATCHES!!!!!11!!

No, if the system is different, then I understand and accept rematches.  All you hear from purist is how big the regular season is in college football.  How the regular season IS the playoff.  Now Bammer wants everyone to say "the regular season IS the playoffs, unless it's not"

Bammers started chirping about a rematch well before the game.  A sure sign you're a loser.  Looking for a second chance before you've taken your first shot. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
It's Snaggle...don't get the two confused, one has no balls and the other likes young womenz.

Again though a loss is a loss on their home field.  You saying that they are the best team is subjective. Was OKSU loss to ISU on the road in double overtime with a tragedy affecting them worse? I have no idea.

I'll toss this between the crack of yo ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »

Agree....I mean, I can personally say I think Bama is the 2nd best team, but I can see the argument either way. I think you and I are both more in the middle. Whether it is Bama or OSU, I can see the argument from BOTH sides. Bama is deserving. So is OSU. Most though, are taking one hellbent side or another. A lot of my stance is based off the fact that I can logically see how someone can think Bama is #2. I can also see how someone would think OSU is #2, just not as much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
Don't really care, but this is a fail argument.  ISU obviously would not play they are 6-5.

You really shouldn't be arguing about this RWS, it is all subjective. Is bammer the #2 team in the country? Is OKSU? Not sure they both have 1 loss, does it matter who it was to? You say it does, I say OKSU had a bad game with a lot going on surrounding them.  Does that mean they deserve to play anymore than bama? Don't know.  See all subjective.

What Kaos is saying is not subjective, bama lost to LSU.  Your argument is that well bama is ranked number #2 its not like they should be #1.  Bottom line there is controversy surrounding the rematch.  You don't want controversy, y'all should have won the game.  You really have no argument.

Add to the fact that your loss was at home and OKSU was on the road? does that change things? Don't know.  We will never know.

Ummm, yeah........

/thread
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »
Ummm, yeah........

/thread

But you can turn that mirror right back around at OSU. They beat ISU, and this isn't even being discussed. But the way it has setup, its all subjective.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
I'm not in the middle. I don't give a shit, I wish it were VTech and Okie St after the bs coming from both the LSU and bammer fan base last season. Wait.......if I were to say I did want a LSU and bama rematch, can I still get a possible earthquake too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »
But you can turn that mirror right back around at OSU. They beat ISU, and this isn't even being discussed. But the way it has setup, its all subjective.

Not what he has in bold, his entire post is what I am screaming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:36 PM »
I'm not in the middle. I don't give a shit, I wish it were VTech and Okie St after the bs coming from both the LSU and bammer fan base last season. Wait.......if I were to say I did want a LSU and bama rematch, can I still get a possible earthquake too?

Yeah, I just wanted us to beat Bama, Arky to beat LSU and UGA to beat Arky so no one from the SEC would be in it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
See? This is the stupid kind of logically devoid bullshit that proves YOU'RE the one floundering for justification for your predetermined preferred outcome.

IF there was a playoff (which there's not), OSU & Bama (and LSU, and if it's an 8-team playoff then also Virginia Tech, and Stanford, and Houston, and Oregon, and Arkansas) would have a fair shake the championship. In a tournament setting, they can play 7 games each like baseball or basketball finals for all I care. We don't have that. The best teams don't get to compete. Just two do. Two based on subjective opinions. And money. Mostly money.

And you guys want to talk about made up stipulations. Isn't the whole thing vague as shit? Isn't the only thing that's clear is that the purpose of the thing is to add an extra game besides just the other four BCS bowls to determine an "uncontested" national champion? Yes, you have to take the #1 & #2 teams, but A) I don't think whoever came up with that had this kind of scenario in mind in which this much favoritism would be shown to the loser of a head-to-head match-up that they'd actually get a second shot, while others with the same record against a stronger SOS don't even get to try once, and B) as mentioned before #1 & #2 is completely subjective. You can tell me til you're blue in the face that Alabama is beyond a shadow of a doubt better that LSU and Alabama are the two best schools, and I will maintain for eternity that the only thing we know with that degree of certainty is that LSU > Bama, as proven on the field. EVERYTHING else is speculation based on talking heads, their agendas, and the almighty dollar. Houston deserves a shot far more than Bama does, even with the lesser competition they have faced, because THEY DIDN'T ALREADY LOSE AGAINST #1. They could beat Green Bay for all we know, and they'll never get the chance to prove it. Alabama did get the chance to prove they were the best team, and they blew it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »
Yeah, I just wanted us to beat Bama, Arky to beat LSU and UGA to beat Arky so no one from the SEC would be in it.

THAT....I can get on board with.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2011, 12:36:43 PM »
Alabama did get the chance to prove they were the best team, and they blew it.

I thought this was an argument over who was #2? And if it is, they did provide some proof they were #2 by losing narrowly to #1 in OT. How much seperation do you think there should be between 1 and 2?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »
Not what he has in bold, his entire post is what I am screaming.
I'm screaming the bold part.

If OSU beat ISU...we STILL don't know for a fact if they can knock off the giant sitting at #1 or not.

We DO know this about another team who will likely go in front of them...and the answer's NO.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 12:39:15 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions