Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: "Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business..."
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
Irrelevant. 

By adopting that position you have declared unequivlocally that there is no scenario in which Iowa State beats Alabama in Ames or Oregon beats Alabama in Tuscaloosa or Georgia Tech beats Alabama in Atlanta any other team in the country beats Alabama in any other venue. 

Since those games were not played you cannot state that for certain.  The only things we know for a fact are:

LSU can beat Alabama.  Did that. 

Unless you can somehow prove that Alabama would absolutely, undisputably not lose to ISU, OU or GT then your entire supposition is invalid. 

Games aren't played on paper.  Got to go with what's played on the field.   Alabama had a chance at home.  Doesn't matter what the score was, they didn't get the job done. 

Next.

Agree, not saying I can prove it. But in my opinion (and thats what polls are really), no one else in the country can beat Bama aside from LSU. If they were playing anyone BUT LSU, I know where my money would go in Vegas. Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
I think LSU wins simply because of George Jefferson moving on up to the starting spot again.  He was the difference in that first game and he looked pretty damn good this past Friday.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »
Fucking zebras

I don't think the refs cost us that game.. I think they...hey, wait......you were talking about......damn, why is it always about race with you people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
Irrelevant. 

By adopting that position you have declared unequivlocally that there is no scenario in which Iowa State beats Alabama in Ames or Oregon beats Alabama in Tuscaloosa or Georgia Tech beats Alabama in Atlanta any other team in the country beats Alabama in any other venue. 

Since those games were not played you cannot state that for certain.  The only things we know for a fact are:

LSU can beat Alabama.  Did that. 

Unless you can somehow prove that Alabama would absolutely, undisputably not lose to ISU, OU or GT then your entire supposition is invalid. 

Games aren't played on paper.  Got to go with what's played on the field.   Alabama had a chance at home.  Doesn't matter what the score was, they didn't get the job done. 

Next.

It's like you're in my head. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »
I know that none of you will agree with me, and I'm fine with that, but I'm going to put my opinion out at least once.

If ANY team from any major conference is undefeated (for argument's sake I don't consider Houston in that category), then I would absolutely say that they deserve to play against LSU in the BCS.  If Oklahoma State stays undefeated?  They should play.  If Stanford stays undefeated?  They should play. 

They didn't.  They lost to teams who weren't ranked #1.  Oklahoma State lost to a shitty Iowa State team that will likely finish 6-6.  Stanford at least lost to a highly ranked team, but it was a highly ranked team who got their ass pounded by the only team Alabama lost to.  Virginia Tech?  Lost to a 3 loss team.  Can you really say that either of those teams have a better 1 loss than Alabama?

There isn't a rule that says Alabama can't play without winning their division.  Nebraska and Oklahoma have already done it.  Quite frankly, that's the only reason this is even a discussion....because Alabama is in the same division with LSU.  If you can get past conference titles and rematches (which you should because those stipulations aren't in the rules), Alabama has the strongest statement to be the #2 team. 

What I wish would happen is a 4 team playoff between Alabama, VT, Oklahoma State and Stanford.....assuming VT and OSU remain as 1 loss teams after this weekend.  But that's not going to happen, and like it or not, the top 2 teams this time next week will likely be LSU and Alabama. 

But I don't blame yall for being pissed.  Not because your hated rival is getting a chance to play for the BCS.  But because IF they get in next week, you're going to have to hear an ungodly amount of bullshit from dumbass Alabama fans talking shit about Auburn not getting in as undefeated in 2004, but Bama gets in with one loss.  It's a fucking retarded comment, and because of that, I'm sure there will be a fucking retarded Alabama smack shirt printed up soon after. 

Now, call me biased or whatever.  But there isn't one of you who honestly believes Alabama isn't the 2nd best team in college football.  You might say it, but you don't believe it. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 07:19:53 PM »
Now, call me biased or whatever.  But there isn't one of you who honestly believes Alabama isn't the 2nd best team in college football.  You might say it, but you don't believe it.

I don't believe they are.

Got no basis to believe as much. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »
I don't believe they are.

Got no basis to believe as much.

Who do you think is #2? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
Who do you think is #2?
Anybody but Alabama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
I know that none of you will agree with me, and I'm fine with that, but I'm going to put my opinion out at least once.

If ANY team from any major conference is undefeated (for argument's sake I don't consider Houston in that category), then I would absolutely say that they deserve to play against LSU in the BCS.  If Oklahoma State stays undefeated?  They should play.  If Stanford stays undefeated?  They should play. 

They didn't.  They lost to teams who weren't ranked #1.  Oklahoma State lost to a shitty Iowa State team that will likely finish 6-6.  Stanford at least lost to a highly ranked team, but it was a highly ranked team who got their ass pounded by the only team Alabama lost to.  Virginia Tech?  Lost to a 3 loss team.  Can you really say that either of those teams have a better 1 loss than Alabama?

There isn't a rule that says Alabama can't play without winning their division.  Nebraska and Oklahoma have already done it.  Quite frankly, that's the only reason this is even a discussion....because Alabama is in the same division with LSU.  If you can get past conference titles and rematches (which you should because those stipulations aren't in the rules), Alabama has the strongest statement to be the #2 team. 

What I wish would happen is a 4 team playoff between Alabama, VT, Oklahoma State and Stanford.....assuming VT and OSU remain as 1 loss teams after this weekend.  But that's not going to happen, and like it or not, the top 2 teams this time next week will likely be LSU and Alabama. 

But I don't blame yall for being pissed.  Not because your hated rival is getting a chance to play for the BCS.  But because IF they get in next week, you're going to have to hear an ungodly amount of bullshit from dumbass Alabama fans talking shit about Auburn not getting in as undefeated in 2004, but Bama gets in with one loss.  It's a fucking retarded comment, and because of that, I'm sure there will be a fucking retarded Alabama smack shirt printed up soon after. 

Fuck you...you can't trap me bammer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
Who do you think is #2?

Any one loss team that didn't already lose to LSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
Any one loss team that didn't already lose to LSU.
So, Alabama's loss to LSU is less than OSU's loss to ISU? ? Stanford's loss to Oregon? Va Tech's loss to Clemson? Last I checked, LSU was #1. For those screaming about this is why we need a playoff (not that I'm opposed to it), in a playoff scenario, would Alabama not play LSU again at some point anyway? If the two best teams in the nation happened to have played during the regular season, but they're still the two best teams in the nation at the end of the season, then what's your point? The purpose of the BCS is for the two best teams in the nation as determined by the BCS standings to play.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:48:10 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
"We're the elite team in the league right now. LSU is good, but we're gooder." -- Alabama's Trent Richardson on CBS, making the case for a Crimson Tide-LSU rematch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
"Anyone who doesn't win their conference has no business playing in the National Championship Game" -Nick Saban 2003

"Who's the best two teams? That's the question. If the decision gets made on that, I'll be fine with that. If it gets made on some of this other stuff, that's not fair. It's not fair to the players, and it wouldn't be fair to their players either (...unless it is). It wouldn't be fair to anybody (...unless it is)." - nick sabbin 2011.

I wonder what he would've said if "anyone who didn't win their Division?"  Oh that's right, it doesn't matter since it's his team that did neither.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:55:53 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2011, 08:57:59 PM »
I would argue that because of that very fact, the #1 and #2 teams should never be from the same conference after the season has played out.

In order to win your conference, you have to emerge with the best record over other teams in your conference in the closest thing to a fair playoff system we have: the conference championships. The SEC in particular is set up so that you have to play everyone in your division head-to-head, and then the "best" team from the other division. If you can't win your division, then you shouldn't be the national champion, because you had your shot, and were eliminated.

"Eliminated" suggests that there is some sort of bracket going on.  The system that we have now doesn't utilize any form of elimination.  Rather, it ranks teams based upon win-loss record, point differential in wins/losses, strength of schedule, etc.

Of course, the human polls may or may not take into account those factors, but generally speaking, the voters are supposed to consider everything they've seen in order to determine how the teams should rank.  Being "eliminated" by having one loss doesn't mean you can't be ranked #1 or #2.

Considering that you can lose any given game during the regular season and still be ranked first or second, I don't see why we should treat the conference championship games (or a team's inability to reach the conference championship game) differently than any other game.  Especially in a situation such as this, where the team not going to the conference championship is in the same division as the #1 team in the nation.

There is no logic in stating that Alabama should be viewed as a less worthy team simply because it's not going to the SEC championship game; their record is still their record, and their quality wins are still quality wins.  If we had a playoff system with brackets that organized games according to who won their conferences, then your idea would make sense.  But as it stands now with the voting and computer systems, all that matters is the win-loss record and how the team compares statistically to others.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Yoda

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2011, 09:08:52 PM »
Like everything else follow the mighty dollar, that is why there will be a rematch.  Never mind that they have already beaten Bama, never mind that there is no doubt that LSU has by far proved numerous times that they are the best team this year.

To be honest, there should not even be a BCS championship game, LSU has already proven that they are the best team.  Don't agree with that?  Well let's see they beat Bama in the regular season and they beat Oregon in the regular season.  They don't need to play OSU or Stanford because they are not any good they both have one losses that were not to LSU. That is basically the point the pollsters are making.  Polls they are opinions who ever gets it right?  This is just another reason that there should be a play off but there is not one so Bama will get another shot.   In my opinion, which yes probably is biased, they do not deserve it.  They already lost.  I don't give a shit what the score was a L is a L.  If Oregon had one loss they would not deserve to play them again either.

There are years when an extra game is needed to determine who the best is, usually when two teams have not played one another so they prove it on the field.  There are years when there are more than two teams that are in question and one gets left out.  This year is neither, one team in the country has proven every Saturday on the field that they can and have beaten the other team in front of them. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

Yoda

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2011, 09:16:25 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention a rematch is inevitable.  Bama and LSU you are NFL teams so them playing again is normal.  They do it every year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »
"Eliminated" suggests that there is some sort of bracket going on.  The system that we have now doesn't utilize any form of elimination.  Rather, it ranks teams based upon win-loss record, point differential in wins/losses, strength of schedule, etc.

Of course, the human polls may or may not take into account those factors, but generally speaking, the voters are supposed to consider everything they've seen in order to determine how the teams should rank.  Being "eliminated" by having one loss doesn't mean you can't be ranked #1 or #2.

Considering that you can lose any given game during the regular season and still be ranked first or second, I don't see why we should treat the conference championship games (or a team's inability to reach the conference championship game) differently than any other game.  Especially in a situation such as this, where the team not going to the conference championship is in the same division as the #1 team in the nation.

There is no logic in stating that Alabama should be viewed as a less worthy team simply because it's not going to the SEC championship game; their record is still their record, and their quality wins are still quality wins.  If we had a playoff system with brackets that organized games according to who won their conferences, then your idea would make sense.  But as it stands now with the voting and computer systems, all that matters is the win-loss record and how the team compares statistically to others.
Listen just because you threw a fucking ring into a volcano, doesn't give you any right to impose your BCS bullshit logic on me.  bama sucks! Go take a walk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »
So here is a realistic question and the problem I have with a rematch.  If bama wins they win the BCS title, even though the series is now tied 1-1, something doesn't seem right about that. Whatever though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »
Listen just because you threw a fucking ring into a volcano, doesn't give you any right to impose your BCS bullshit logic on me.  bama sucks! Go take a walk.

At least I'm not snapping pictures of men's junk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin