Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The End of an Era: Paterno is Finished

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: The End of an Era: Paterno is Finished
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
Pulitzer prize winning author now on Finebaum repeating my basic line of thinking and questioning.

Best to not try establishing credibility by using the name Finebaum in the argument.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
Paterno has lung cancer.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/college-football/joe-paterno-has-lung-cancer-son-says-1.3332152

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Former Penn State coach Joe Paterno has a treatable form of lung cancer, according to his son.
Scott Paterno said in a statement provided to The Associated Press by a family representative on Friday that the 84-year-old Joe Paterno is undergoing treatment and that "his doctors are optimistic he will make a full recovery."

"As everyone can appreciate, this is a deeply personal matter for my parents, and we simply ask that his privacy be respected as he proceeds with treatment," Scott Paterno said in a brief statement.

Scott Paterno said the diagnosis was made during a follow-up visit last weekend for a bronchial illness.

Earlier Friday, the Standard-Speaker newspaper of Hazleton, Pa., reported that Paterno had been seen Wednesday visiting the Mount Nittany Medical Center and was treated for an undisclosed ailment and released.

Paterno was fired last week in the aftermath of shocking allegations against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, charged with sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years. He initially announced his retirement effective the end of the season the morning of Nov. 9 before university trustees fired him about 12 hours later.

The lurid scandal tarnished the reputation of a football program that once prided itself on the slogan "Success with Honor." The Hall of Famer's 409 career victories are a Division I record.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
Best to not try establishing credibility by using the name Finebaum in the argument.

Just pointing out that the position I had which so mortified and horrified some has also been taken by some pretty credible folks. 

This guy saying that even somebody of Paterno's stature was coerced by the fear of his program crashing down around him and how others would use it against him in recruiting and in the push to drive him out. 

He made the point  that even had Paterno done exactly the right thing and exposed Sandusky in 1998 or 2002 it would have been the end of Paterno's career.  It would have forever stained the program.  I said that same thing and judging by the reaction of some around here you'd have thought I pissed on the pope's hat.

Despite all the blustering from some, I was confident in that.  Still think it.  Something like that comes out and you're done.  Toast.  Even if he does right it's the end for him.  So he either didn't hear or didn't want to and heard something else.   

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:03:22 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
Looks like the NCAA is involved now.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2011, 06:06:10 PM »
Just pointing out that the position I had which so mortified and horrified some has also been taken by some pretty credible folks. 

This guy saying that even somebody of Paterno's stature was coerced by the fear of his program crashing down around him and how others would use it against him in recruiting and in the push to drive him out. 

He made the point  that even had Paterno done exactly the right thing and exposed Sandusky in 1998 or 2002 it would have been the end of Paterno's career.  It would have forever stained the program.  I said that same thing and judging by the reaction of some around here you'd have thought I pissed on the pope's hat.

Despite all the blustering from some, I was confident in that.  Still think it.  Something like that comes out and you're done.  Toast.  Even if he does right it's the end for him.  So he either didn't hear or didn't want to and heard something else.

I don't think anybody here disagreed with that, we just said that's still a pretty crappy reason to allow a child predator to walk the streets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

JR4AU

« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »
Looks like the NCAA is involved now.

They are, and it's fucking stupid.  Finebaum had Dr. David Ridpath on, and he said this looks like the NCAA simply trying to be relevant in the largest scandal in sports in recent memory. 

Tony Barnhart said, this isn't in their jurisdiction, and is certainly above their paygrade.  Said NCAA legislation is about fundamental fairness of competition, and this has nothing to do with that. 

I said it before they did, and I completely agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2011, 06:22:34 PM »

But, that's why everybody is so pissed. He didn't have the best interest of that child in mind. He was only worried about his career, and his accomplishments. It furthers the point that Paterno more than likely had a hand in a huge cover up. Not that he acted alone in that cover up, but he still participated nonetheless.

Honestly, I think if Paterno did the right thing and came forward to police to let them know this was what was going on, there wouldn't have been nearly the fallout that there is now. The whole reason this has been such a bombshell and newsworthy is because there appears to be a huge conspiracy behind it to bury it. Sure, it would be a hot topic regardless. But when you throw in that Joe Pa was one of the ones that helped cover it up, that's like throwing gasoline on the fire. Reporting it to police wouldn't have stained his personal image at all. If anything, it would show that he had the integrity to stand up for this kid when others didn't. If the administration had taken the same stance and made it very clear that this shit wasn't going to be tolerated, it would be a different ball game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »
But, that's why everybody is so pissed. He didn't have the best interest of that child in mind. He was only worried about his career, and his accomplishments. It furthers the point that Paterno more than likely had a hand in a huge cover up. Not that he acted alone in that cover up, but he still participated nonetheless.

Honestly, I think if Paterno did the right thing and came forward to police to let them know this was what was going on, there wouldn't have been nearly the fallout that there is now. The whole reason this has been such a bombshell and newsworthy is because there appears to be a huge conspiracy behind it to bury it. Sure, it would be a hot topic regardless. But when you throw in that Joe Pa was one of the ones that helped cover it up, that's like throwing gasoline on the fire. Reporting it to police wouldn't have stained his personal image at all. If anything, it would show that he had the integrity to stand up for this kid when others didn't. If the administration had taken the same stance and made it very clear that this shit wasn't going to be tolerated, it would be a different ball game.

tl;ohb (only heard baaaa)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2011, 11:33:36 PM »

I wasn't mortified or horrified.  I just simply believe that you and others like you are pussies if you're more concerned about your image being shattered than you are protecting innocent children.

If one of your employees was caught fucking a 10 year old in the office restroom, and you didn't report it to law enforcement, I'd wish the same outcome for you that I did Paterno.  Including the cancer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »
Pulitzer prize winning author now on Finebaum repeating my basic line of thinking and questioning.

Anna Quindlen and Dave Barry have also won a Pulitzer.  BFD.  There are no - NO - good reasons to allow the predation of children to continue.  None.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »
Anna Quindlen and Dave Barry have also won a Pulitzer.  BFD.  There are no - NO - good reasons to allow the predation of children to continue.  None.

Blippity blah. 

You and Token can spare me the moral outrage.  Nobody said Paterno was a saint.  Just pointed out the truth of the situation and how it comes about.  Why it comes about.   Said way early on that figuring out why was important to understanding how to keep it from happening.  Said early on and repeatedly that I wasn't making pronouncements, merely noting what is and that it happens way fucking more than any of you care to admit.

It happens to good and decent people.  It happens to people you'd never think capable.  They make a decision based on self preservation and it backfires.   They make a decision because what they're told can't make sense in their minds, it has to be something else.  And it snowballs. 

So pfffffffffffftttttttttt on the pious routine and the complete deflection of my point into an opportunity to state that predators are bad and shouldn't be protected.  Well no shit, sherlock.  Pfft.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:20:39 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2011, 12:24:12 AM »
Blippity blah. 

You and Token can spare me the moral outrage.  Nobody said Paterno was a saint.  Just pointed out the truth of the situation and how it comes about.  Why it comes about.   Said way early on that figuring out why was important to understanding how to keep it from happening.  Said early on and repeatedly that I wasn't making pronouncements, merely noting what is and that it happens way fucking more than any of you care to admit.

It happens to good and decent people.  It happens to people you'd never think capable.  They make a decision based on self preservation and it backfires.   They make a decision because what they're told can't make sense in their minds, it has to be something else.  And it snowballs. 

So pfffffffffffftttttttttt on the pious routine and the complete deflection of my point into an opportunity to state that predators are bad and shouldn't be protected.  Well no shit, sherlock.  Pfft.

Pussy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2011, 12:31:37 AM »
Pussy.

Bammer with a badge. 

Came to erase it because I figured the two of you were being purposely obtuse.  Oh well.  Never once said what I would or wouldn't do, only remarked on the situation as it is, not some idealized version. 

Heath Evans, who knows more about the topic than any of us, said that all the bluster about what people would do was nothing but hot air bullshit.  Because when confronted with it in their own lives they don't. 

Doesn't excuse it.  Doesn't make it right. Doesn't indicate what I would personally do.

Again, pfffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.  ttt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2011, 01:24:22 AM »
Bammer with a badge. 

Came to erase it because I figured the two of you were being purposely obtuse.  Oh well.  Never once said what I would or wouldn't do, only remarked on the situation as it is, not some idealized version. 

Heath Evans, who knows more about the topic than any of us, said that all the bluster about what people would do was nothing but hot air bullshit.  Because when confronted with it in their own lives they don't. 

Doesn't excuse it.  Doesn't make it right. Doesn't indicate what I would personally do.

Again, pfffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.  ttt.

I still refuse to believe that most people could walk in on a child being molested and walk away.  But yes, at this point, I'm simply trying to get a rise out of you. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2011, 11:36:57 AM »
At a Ohio State tailgate this morning.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
Found this while looking for Corso quotes.  From a few years ago.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Token

« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »
At a Ohio State tailgate this morning.

#winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Doesn't indicate what I would personally do.
So, what would you personally do?

WWKD?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
Found this while looking for Corso quotes.  From a few years ago.
What about this one from last week?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »
Bill Maher's take on it (from The View):

"Just goes to show you that any institution when there are no women around -- like the church, football, the Middle East, fraternities -- it goes to hell.  You need women as a moderating influence. When men are among men they do stupid things." 

The idiot cows (including Behar and Whoopi) cheered like loons. 

What a fucking IDIOT.

This isn't a "men will be men" issue in any way, shape or form.  Sandusky's behavior is a manifestation of his personal depravity. 

It's offensive for that fuckstick to dismiss Sandusky's actions as part of a "man thing." 

Yeah, when I played baseball all I could think about was that kid in the stands pulling on his cotton candy.  Thank God there were women around later to moderate me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions