Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Triple the "Fun" (Playoff Discussion)

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Triple the "Fun" (Playoff Discussion)
« on: June 09, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-expansion-plan-043900023.html

The inevitability of the College Football Playoff expanding has been embraced around every corner of the sport. From the academic ivory towers to the athletic departments to the locker room, an evolution of some type has long been an expectation.
The next three weeks offer a critical period in charting what the future of the College Football Playoff will look like. A pair of CFP meetings are expected to decide a specific recommendation, with a final decision, details and television contract determined later in the fall.
Yahoo Sports spoke to more than a dozen stakeholders Monday on every side of the playoff decision – university officials, athletic directors, media executives and others around college sports. Amid those conversations, a surprise emerged — officials on campuses, in conference offices and in the television world have expressed an openness toward a 12-team playoff as the most likely result.
While it’s unfair to say momentum has built toward a 12-team playoff before models have been presented to the commissioners or presidents, the 12-team model has emerged as the favored outcome over the eight-team playoff within the industry.
“The reason that you go to 12 is because you can develop the road of least resistance toward a good result,” said a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the process.

Officials familiar with the CFP process stress that an entire process still needs to play out. The first step will come in Chicago on July 17 and 18 when the four-member working group, tasked for nearly the past two years with exploring expansion, reports its findings to the CFP management committee. The four-member working group will present the finding to a group made up of SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick and Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson.

12? Really?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Re: Triple the "Fun" (Playoff Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 01:03:42 PM »
I don’t know how hard is is just to do 6 and the group of 5 has a play in game for the 6th spot. Call me crazy, but the top 5 spots go to conference champions. 

Is it really that hard for this format? Or do we need to keep it subjective just in case Alabama or UGA ever has to prove their the best 1 loss team in the country and needs a little help getting in. 

Heck, why even play the SEC championship?  This isn’t football, it’s ESPN manipulating a game for the results they want. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 01:35:50 PM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-expansion-plan-043900023.html

12? Really?
Actually sounds like a great idea.  I thought 16, but 12 gives the top 4 a benefit if they do it right.  Drop the regular season back to 11 games like it used to be, then higher seeds get home games in rounds 1 and 2.  Then use the same format as now for the top 4 teams left.

Round 1:
5v12
6v11
7v10
8v9

Round 2:
1 vs winner of 8/9
2 vs winner of 7/10
3 vs winner of 6/11
4 vs winner of 5/12

Round 3:
Winner of 1 vs winner of 4
Winner of 2 vs winner of 3 

Round 4:
Championship game
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »
Huge fan of expansion.  The current format makes it too easy to ride the press clippings into the top four.  If you're undefeated, but not a blue-blood, now you have a path to get into the discussion for real.  Hell, if you're a 1-2 loss SECW team you can still be in the conversation.  This will fight Bama/OSU/Clemson/Oklahoma fatigue.

Either that or blow the whole thing up, leave it to the many and varied computers and assign BCS-style rankings to everyone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 02:50:55 PM »
I was told there would be no math.  

Absolutely a fan of expanding.  It gives even more meaning to the regular season and a lot of the top players won't be opting out when the season winds down.

College football is the one and only sport I can think of that the winner is decided on a subjective basis.  Who plays for all the marbles is based solely on the eye test.  Think about this.  The way things are set up right now, you could say to every group of 5 team, "Good luck in the upcoming season; however, just know that you can go undefeated and win every game by an average of 30 points, but you ain't sniffin' of the playoffs.  So have fun guys."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »
I was told there would be no math. 

Absolutely a fan of expanding.  It gives even more meaning to the regular season and a lot of the top players won't be opting out when the season winds down.

College football is the one and only sport I can think of that the winner is decided on a subjective basis.  Who plays for all the marbles is based solely on the eye test.  Think about this.  The way things are set up right now, you could say to every group of 5 team, "Good luck in the upcoming season; however, just know that you can go undefeated and win every game by an average of 30 points, but you ain't sniffin' of the playoffs.  So have fun guys."

Yup yup.

Plus...more football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 08:33:50 PM »
Is there a flaw in the 5 p5 winners plus 3 at larges in an 8? Seems the Perfect solution to me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 10:52:24 PM »
Why can't we just go back to what it was before the BCS?  

I don't like any of this shit at all. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »

I don't like any of this shoot at all.
They can change whatever they want. Outcome will still be the same. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and some 4th team as a sacrifice. Rinse. Repeat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 09:44:01 AM »
Is there a flaw in the 5 p5 winners plus 3 at larges in an 8? Seems the Perfect solution to me.
Not enough extra foosball!

I don't like any of this shit at all.
Yeah, we get it.  You haven't liked shit since Andy Griffith got colorized.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 03:45:58 PM »
In other words, the SEC wanted to make sure bammer and fuga got in every year at least.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 12:56:16 AM »
Yeah, we get it.  You haven't liked shit since Andy Griffith got colorized.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 08:08:58 AM »
6 Conference Champions, 6 At Large Bids.

That means Alabama will NEVER miss a playoff. Never. Those foghats won't ALLOW anyone to keep them out of the top 12. And when they win it at 10-2 on a bench loaded with enough steroids to make the Ultimate Warrior scared, what then? 32 team playoff?

This is more of the same, boring, predictable story. Just like WWE.

F this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 10:02:50 AM »
The proposal of going to 12 was a bit surprising, but I have no problem with it at all.  Even though part of the selection process is still subjective, I think that makes it a lot more fair.  Everyone who could reasonably make some claim that they should get a shot will get their chance.

However, let me throw some Debbie Downer on the situation.  I think we enjoy this while we can, because the changes to the system being pushed right now are going to wipe college sports off the map.  The new biggie that's on the table is the programs paying for health insurance....for life!!!  Do the math.  Crunch the numbers.  Then let that sink in.

Remember, that's every scholarship athlete across the board.  For life!  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 10:57:31 AM »
The proposal of going to 12 was a bit surprising, but I have no problem with it at all.  Even though part of the selection process is still subjective, I think that makes it a lot more fair.  Everyone who could reasonably make some claim that they should get a shot will get their chance.

However, let me throw some Debbie Downer on the situation.  I think we enjoy this while we can, because the changes to the system being pushed right now are going to wipe college sports off the map.  The new biggie that's on the table is the programs paying for health insurance....for life!!!  Do the math.  Crunch the numbers.  Then let that sink in.

Remember, that's every scholarship athlete across the board.  For life! 
They don't have a Players Association (like the NFL, for instance) to ever get that done.

The biggest threat to football is the fears (warranted and overblown) about the physical toll it takes to play the game.

Money won't ruin it but politicians will.

Also, the Chi-Comms set to take us over after they complete the full infiltration of our society aren't big fans of the pigskin. Our only hope is that the Mehicans rise up to help us. In other words, we furked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 09:25:31 PM »
They don't have a Players Association (like the NFL, for instance) to ever get that done.

Money won't ruin it but politicians will.
These two statements are conflicting. 

They don’t need a union because they have liberals supporting there goals. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.