Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What's funny to me...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
What's funny to me...
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
For the first time in forever I'm not the one breaking shit and leading the pitchfork parade. 

Yes, it looked bad yesterday to get steamrolled by LSU.  BUT.  (Am I about to be the voice of reason?) I didn't think it was really all that bad.  The score got away, but it really wasn't all that bad. 

1) It was in their house.  Winning on the road is difficult in the SEC. 
2) The penalties were not due to a lack of effort or laziness, they were inadvertent and came because people were trying to make plays.  51 yards in penalties isn't abysmal anyway when you consider two made up 30 yards of that.
3) Despite what you might think, the defense played reasonably well.  Yes it got torched twice on basically the same play.  And yes, once things started to pile up the defense got tired.  But didn't we reasonably expect that?   Their offensive and defensive line is more mature and more experienced than ours.  The hope was that if we could generate some offense and grab a turnover or two we could avoid the slow and steady strangulation of being pounded by the successive waves of linemen.   We didn't generate offense.  We didn't get turnovers. We gave them a short field at least once.  It snowballed.  That's going to happen to a young team. 
4) Defense again... when your offense is standing in the corner trying to fuck a jelly doughnut, what do you expect them to do?  Just a couple of series where we move the ball, change field position, get a first down... and the defense has a pretty good day.  We gave them nothing and asked them to hold the fort against the huns.  Wasn't going to happen.

There were some things that bothered me. 

McCalebb provided a major offensive spark in the first quarter.  His threat kept their defense from just bullrushing the fuck out of us.  Why didn't he touch the fucking ball in the second or third quarter?  He was moving the fucking chains so let's sit him over here because that chain rattling noise bothers us.  What the fuck?

I'm getting seriously fucking annoyed with the way personnel is being managed offensively.   We did that shit last year but were able to overcome it.  Dyer would just vanish for long stretches.  I understand the philosophy behind constant movement, but sometimes I wonder if we just don't completely outwizard ourselves in trying to be wizardly. 

We really don't have a quarterback worth a diddling fuck.  Not a single one.  You could take all three and merge them together and still not have one who can win you games.  Chris Todd? Daniel Cobb? I'm sorry for all the things I said about you.  Miss you.  Wish you were here. 

We won't be the last team LSU chokes to death and then revives to choke again.  This won't be the last team this Auburn squad gets ape raped by either.  Ole Miss is no guarantee.  We'll have to score to beat them and I'm not sure our offense has the confidence to get a first down, much less punch it in the end zone. 

But still.  The sun came up.  Despite the ugliness of the beating I'm not discouraged (except by the offense). 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Re: What's funny to me...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:15:01 AM »
Very well said. 

I agree that this season's offensive gameplan has included too much thinking.  Last year, we wised up to centering the offense around Cam Newton.

This year, we seem to try a player a few plays and then move on to the next.  Sometimes you just have to choose an identity and make it work. 

Is our offense centered around Dyer?  McCalebb?  The quarterback? 

I'm not sure.  I don't think we've really developed an identity on offense.  That's probably due to the shabby offensive line play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »
For the first time in forever I'm not the one breaking shit and leading the pitchfork parade. 

Yes, it looked bad yesterday to get steamrolled by LSU.  BUT.  (Am I about to be the voice of reason?) I didn't think it was really all that bad.  The score got away, but it really wasn't all that bad. 

1) It was in their house.  Winning on the road is difficult in the SEC. 
2) The penalties were not due to a lack of effort or laziness, they were inadvertent and came because people were trying to make plays.  51 yards in penalties isn't abysmal anyway when you consider two made up 30 yards of that.
3) Despite what you might think, the defense played reasonably well.  Yes it got torched twice on basically the same play.  And yes, once things started to pile up the defense got tired.  But didn't we reasonably expect that?   Their offensive and defensive line is more mature and more experienced than ours.  The hope was that if we could generate some offense and grab a turnover or two we could avoid the slow and steady strangulation of being pounded by the successive waves of linemen.   We didn't generate offense.  We didn't get turnovers. We gave them a short field at least once.  It snowballed.  That's going to happen to a young team. 
4) Defense again... when your offense is standing in the corner trying to fuck a jelly doughnut, what do you expect them to do?  Just a couple of series where we move the ball, change field position, get a first down... and the defense has a pretty good day.  We gave them nothing and asked them to hold the fort against the huns.  Wasn't going to happen.

There were some things that bothered me. 

McCalebb provided a major offensive spark in the first quarter.  His threat kept their defense from just bullrushing the fuck out of us.  Why didn't he touch the fucking ball in the second or third quarter?  He was moving the fucking chains so let's sit him over here because that chain rattling noise bothers us.  What the fuck?

I'm getting seriously fucking annoyed with the way personnel is being managed offensively.   We did that shit last year but were able to overcome it.  Dyer would just vanish for long stretches.  I understand the philosophy behind constant movement, but sometimes I wonder if we just don't completely outwizard ourselves in trying to be wizardly. 

We really don't have a quarterback worth a diddling fuck.  Not a single one.  You could take all three and merge them together and still not have one who can win you games.  Chris Todd? Daniel Cobb? I'm sorry for all the things I said about you.  Miss you.  Wish you were here. 

We won't be the last team LSU chokes to death and then revives to choke again.  This won't be the last team this Auburn squad gets ape raped by either.  Ole Miss is no guarantee.  We'll have to score to beat them and I'm not sure our offense has the confidence to get a first down, much less punch it in the end zone. 

But still.  The sun came up.  Despite the ugliness of the beating I'm not discouraged (except by the offense).

After sleeping on it, I have to pretty much agree here.  Cobb?  No.  Todd?  I'd take him today for sure.  I watched UT at Bammer.   UT got beat just about as badly, but they didn't look as bad doing it, at least not in my eyes. 

The offense?  You can imagine something has gone wrong with Gus if you want, but the whole shit bag of offense centers around having no QB.  Dream if you must that "a great coach would coach up a QB" but I can assure you if Gus had me at QB, there's not a damn thing he could do to get me to play the way he wants.  We just don't have one.  Simple as that.   You can talk about "poor play calling".  A. you don't know jack shit about the plays we have in, why or when they're called.  B. If you can't execute due to a personnel issue, no great play call will over come that. If you're Left Guard is weak, then you don't put him in a position to fail, you give him help with the C or LT, and you can manage by not running behind him on crucial downs.  Defenses will still play you the same for the most part.    Have a QB that can't complete a pass beyond the LOS...you got a whole new deal.  Defenses will play you totally different.   We have a glaring personnel weakness at the most crucial spot on the field.   And let's not forget...our OL couldn't block anybody yesterday.  Protecting the weakest link, in the most crucial spot on the team, is a unit that can't (due mainly to being young and inexperience, and not having years to get the weight training needed to compete...you can't coach 2-3 years of experience and weight training in a year...just can't be done) protect, and can't open holes to run through vs. fronts like we saw yesterday.

Is Gus "outwizarding" himself?  I think he's doing all he can to try and make something happen.   He's actually trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
Very well said. 

I agree that this season's offensive gameplan has included too much thinking.  Last year, we wised up to centering the offense around Cam Newton.

This year, we seem to try a player a few plays and then move on to the next.  Sometimes you just have to choose an identity and make it work. 

Is our offense centered around Dyer?  McCalebb?  The quarterback? 

I'm not sure.  I don't think we've really developed an identity on offense.  That's probably due to the shabby offensive line play.

We have an identity...we can't move the ball.  Other teams know we can't throw it, thus our "run first" identity is taken away. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »

The offense?  You can imagine something has gone wrong with Gus if you want, but the whole shit bag of offense centers around having no QB.  ..............You can talk about "poor play calling".  A. you don't know jack shit about the plays we have in, why or when they're called.  B. If you can't execute due to a personnel issue, no great play call will over come that.................
Is Gus "outwizarding" himself?  I think he's doing all he can to try and make something happen.   He's actually trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

You didn't pay attention.  Not one play call was discussed. 

We don't have a QB worth a fizzling drizzling fuck.  It's not that we have three, it's that we have none.  Zero. 

My problem is with the personnel decisions.  If you don't think McCalebb disappearing for most of the game after providing the ONLY offensive fire in the first quarter isn't "outthinking" the situation or in the very least not being in tune with the flow of the game, well... hmmmmm. 

It's been my only complaint about Gus and it's been one since the very beginning.  We've seen Tate just vanish for long stretches when he was our best offensive weapon.  We've seen Dyer hammer out some great runs and start to catch his stride -- and then poof. Doesn't touch the ball for the next quarter and a half.  Yesterday it was McCalebb.  The little guy has the quickness to burn the defense that's attacking up the field  by hitting the outside. Makes some great plays on the first drive.  And then Alex Russo hits him with one of her wacky Waverly Place spells and he turns into a spectator.   

No other coach I've ever seen does that.  Sometimes it works. But there are times it just flat out doesn't. 

When nothing else is working what's wrong with dropping back to the things that were getting positives and taking advantage of them? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »

We don't have a QB worth a fizzling drizzling fuck.  It's not that we have three, it's that we have none.  Zero. 

My problem is with the personnel decisions.  If you don't think McCalebb disappearing for most of the game after providing the ONLY offensive fire in the first quarter isn't "outthinking" the situation or in the very least not being in tune with the flow of the game, well... hmmmmm. 

It's been my only complaint about Gus and it's been one since the very beginning.  We've seen Tate just vanish for long stretches when he was our best offensive weapon.  We've seen Dyer hammer out some great runs and start to catch his stride -- and then poof. Doesn't touch the ball for the next quarter and a half.  Yesterday it was McCalebb.  The little guy has the quickness to burn the defense that's attacking up the field  by hitting the outside. Makes some great plays on the first drive.  And then Alex Russo hits him with one of her wacky Waverly Place spells and he turns into a spectator.   

No other coach I've ever seen does that.  Sometimes it works. But there are times it just flat out doesn't. 

When nothing else is working what's wrong with dropping back to the things that were getting positives and taking advantage of them?

I can't answer why for sure.  I don't know the answer.  I'm sure at times Gus has outthough himself, or been stubborn in not seeing what was there.  I don't know for sure. 

BTW, though I quoted you, the particular paragraph of mine you quoted, was aimed at a number of folks, not you. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:49:54 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »

I'll offer an opinion FWIW.  You know this, but for others...Gus' roots are in the Wing T.  He's a "series play caller".   His game plan is like this:  Run Power and Counter until they start to spill it outside by having the DE step down in the hole, then hit them with Buck Sweep for the home run.  Mix in speed sweep read plays and read the DE.  Play Action when the LBs are biting hard on any of the above.  Run all those plays from multiple formations and motions. 

In general, our "home run play" has been the buck and speed sweep, then the PAP.  Well, we have no passing game.  And DCs are not spilling our power and counter plays to the outside anymore, the DEs are playing contain, choosing to funnel Dyer inside for what tough yards he can get behind the inexperienced and young OL, and forcing a QB keep read for the same results on the speed sweep with OMac.  We're completely one dimensional, and we haven't the OL to pound the ball vs teams like LSU, which would force them to play the DE's differently.  Cam's Heisman run vs LSU, and OMac's long run vs LSU last year were the same play, but they had changed the DEs techniques to force Cam to give, and get the ball out of his hands.   Our OL doesn't have the ability to force that with Dyer running Power and Counter, and we don't have a running QB either.  They can play contain all night.

JMHO, YMMV.       
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:01:18 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »
I didn't think we had a chance in hell of beating Lsu yesterday. We're a 7 win team at best those is my facts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
I can't answer why for sure.  I don't know the answer.  I'm sure at times Gus has outthough himself, or been stubborn in not seeing what was there.  I don't know for sure. 

BTW, though I quoted you, the particular paragraph of mine you quoted, was aimed at a number of folks, not you.

I have no problem with Gus' No Huddle, his play calling or his value as a recruiter.
I have no problem with Trooper Taylor as the Assistant Head Coach or his value as a recruiter.
But we have three very good high school quarterbacks and many highly recruited receivers.
And since Chris Todd and Darvin Adams, both of whom were already on campus, I see no evidence that we possess a QB coach or a receiver coach that can take a high school product and improve upon their ability at this level.

I do not count Cam Newton or Emory Blake among the candidates because these two came to Auburn virtually SEC ready.
It's hard to fuck-up Superman and Flash.

Other than Todd, Adams, Newton and Blake; someone please give me a clear example of a QB or receiver that actually improved his skill set since this staff was assembled.

And Kodi Burns went to both schools.

I'll hang up and listen.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »

I have no problem with Gus' No Huddle, his play calling or his value as a recruiter.
I have no problem with Trooper Taylor as the Assistant Head Coach or his value as a recruiter.
But we have three very good high school quarterbacks and many highly recruited receivers.
And since Chris Todd and Darvin Adams, both of whom were already on campus, I see no evidence that we possess a QB coach or a receiver coach that can take a high school product and improve upon their ability at this level.

I do not count Cam Newton or Emory Blake among the candidates because these two came to Auburn virtually SEC ready.
It's hard to fuck-up Superman and Flash.

Other than Todd, Adams, Newton and Blake; someone please give me a clear example of a QB or receiver that actually improved his skill set since this staff was assembled.

And Kodi Burns went to both schools.

I'll hang up and listen.

So, now they can't coach?   :facepalm: 

Bolded part borders on idiocy. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:07:48 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
So, now they can't coach?   :facepalm: 

Bolded part borders on idiocy.
Didn't say they couldn't coach. I'm saying they both seem to be lacking as far as developing talent. There is a difference.

Hmmm...
Cam this is our offense and these are our plays.
Run it or throw it whatever you think's best.

What else is he going to teach Cam Newton?
Uh, oh yeah you need to get rid of the ball quicker in this league.

Right... he got out of the fucking way and stuck to play calling or series calling as you describe, because there aren't many that can do that better than Malzahn.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »
Didn't say they couldn't coach. I'm saying they both seem to be lacking as far as developing talent. There is a difference.

Hmmm...
Cam this is our offense and these are our plays.
Run it or throw it whatever you think's best.

What else is he going to teach Cam Newton?
Uh, oh yeah you need to get rid of the ball quicker in this league.

Right... he got out of the fucking way and stuck to play calling or series calling as you describe, because there aren't many that can do that better than Malzahn.

I have no fucking clue what that means.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
I have no fucking clue what that means.
It means he let Cam do what Cam does.
How fucking hard is that to understand?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »
It means he let Cam do what Cam does.
How fucking hard is that to understand?

Right, that's exactly what they did!  You nailed it.  Malzahn is a fraud.  Cam was the real offensive whiz out there.    :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Right, that's exactly what they did!  You nailed it.  Malzahn is a fraud.  Cam was the real offensive whiz out there.    :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
NOPE. Counsellor you will not put words into my mouth. I never made such a statement. I maintain that Malzahn is a tremendous asset in every way to the football program of Auburn University...BUT, he might be lacking in the actual tutoring of quarterbacks. Now see if you can twist that statement aided by facepalms. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 04:45:39 PM »
NOPE. Counsellor you will not put words into my mouth. I never made such a statement. I maintain that Malzahn is a tremendous asset in every way to the football program of Auburn University...BUT, he might be lacking in the actual tutoring of quarterbacks. Now see if you can twist that statement aided by facepalms.

This is his first QB failure at the college level.  And you claim he may be lacking in the ability to coach them?  And in support of your notion, you first refuse to give him any credit for Cam, because if you did, well, then your notion has no legs.  What you're saying is the type stuff uttered by morons on Finebaum.  If it's what you think, then oh well.  If you believe that great QB coaches ALWAYS have at least a serviceable QB, then you're living in a different world from the one I live it. 

I'm gonna say this...AGAIN...You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit!  We don't have a serviceable QB on campus.  Frazier MAY be at some point, and I guess if he turns out to be as advertised, you'll say he just needed some time to get used to the speed of the game, Malzahn simply handed him a playbook and let him do the rest. 

Dude, please stop...you're making a fool of yourself. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »
This is his first QB failure at the college level.  And you claim he may be lacking in the ability to coach them?  And in support of your notion, you first refuse to give him any credit for Cam, because if you did, well, then your notion has no legs.  What you're saying is the type stuff uttered by morons on Finebaum.  If it's what you think, then oh well.  If you believe that great QB coaches ALWAYS have at least a serviceable QB, then you're living in a different world from the one I live it. 

I'm gonna say this...AGAIN...You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit!  We don't have a serviceable QB on campus.  Frazier MAY be at some point, and I guess if he turns out to be as advertised, you'll say he just needed some time to get used to the speed of the game, Malzahn simply handed him a playbook and let him do the rest. 

Dude, please stop...you're making a fool of yourself.
I'm saying for all the money Auburn pays Malzahn at least one of the three QBs in the fold should be serviceable.
Homer Smith would find a serviceable QB of the three.
We need to find a QB tutor to work within Malzahn's  "system."
You can try to discredit what I say by comparing me to Finebaum callers because you have nothing to offer in retort beyond personal insults...so you can stop making a fool of yourself JR, it's demeaning to your profession.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 12:34:21 PM »

Disagree here..I think that Moseley is serviceable.  I think we got beat in the trenches, their d-line manhandled (and by manhandled Im talking the way AWK likes it) or Offensive Line.  Moseley didn't have time to throw the ball much less look off receivers.  Besides you are talking about a kid in his first start against the number one team in the nation.  They are far more talented than I gave them credit for.  They made Oregons QB look like shit, if you remember. 

Then again Moseley could turn out to be shit, all I'm saying is that I thought he looked better than Trotter, and I think he will win us some games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
Disagree here..I think that Moseley is serviceable.  I think we got beat in the trenches, their d-line manhandled (and by manhandled Im talking the way AWK likes it) or Offensive Line.  Moseley didn't have time to throw the ball much less look off receivers.  Besides you are talking about a kid in his first start against the number one team in the nation.  They are far more talented than I gave them credit for.  They made Oregons QB look like shit, if you remember. 

Then again Moseley could turn out to be shit, all I'm saying is that I thought he looked better than Trotter, and I think he will win us some games.

I agree.  Mosely was throwing to the right receiver a couple of times but the ball didn't get there or was off target due to his arm getting hit while throwing.  I think Mosely will be just fine when our line can give him some time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »

Have to sort of agree here.  He will at least pull the trigger.  LSU not the best game to try to judge him by in his first start.  I want to see him this week, and with a full compliment of healthy, starting WRs 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions