Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Law makes babies cry

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Law makes babies cry
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »
http://blog.al.com/live/2011/09/foley_elementary_students_pare.html

FOLEY, Alabama -- Many of the 223 Hispanic students at Foley Elementary came to school Thursday crying and afraid, said Principal Bill Lawrence.

Nineteen of them withdrew, and another 39 were absent, Lawrence said, the day after a federal judge upheld Alabama’s strict new immigration law, which authorizes law enforcement to detain people suspected of not being U.S. citizens and requires schools to ask new enrollees for a copy of their birth certificate.

Even more of the students -- who are U.S. citizens by birth, but their parents may not be -- were expected to leave the state over the weekend, Lawrence said.

"It’s been a challenging day, an emotional day. My children have been in tears today. They’re afraid," he said. "We have been in crisis-management mode, trying to help our children get over this."

Foley Elementary has the area’s largest percentage of Hispanic students, about 20 percent of its student body.
Under the new immigration law, schools must check the citizenship status of any student who enrolls after Sept. 1.
The students must present a birth certificate. Those who cannot do so have 30 days to submit documentation or an affidavit signed by a parent or guardian saying that they are here legally.

If they don’t, schools would enter a notation in the statewide computer system saying that no proof of citizenship was provided.

Interim state schools Superintendent Larry Craven sent a letter to local superintendents Thursday detailing that process. But it remained unclear what might happen after the notation is made in the computer system.

"We just key it in. That’s all we do. We are not the enforcers. We just put it in the system. What happens from there, I don’t know," Lawrence said.

Federal law states that schooling cannot be denied based on immigration status. Also, Alabama’s new law lists public schooling as one of a few things — including immunizations, soup kitchens and prenatal care — that are exempted from proof of citizenship.

On Thursday, Lawrence said he wanted to get a message across to his students that they are safe at Foley Elementary.

He sent out an automated telephone message to all parents, explaining that the law applies only to newly enrolled students and that "no one’s going to come here and search through your child’s folder to find out if he’s legal or not."

Lawrence said that parents are afraid that they’ll get arrested and detained, and be cut off from their children.
"Many have made arrangements with American citizens in case they are separated from their children," Lawrence said. "One of our mothers has agreed to accept seven families’ worth of children, just in case."

Only 3 percent of the students in Mobile County are Hispanic, and the population is scattered about, so Superintendent Roy Nichols said he doesn’t expect the new law to have much of an impact here.

"There is some fear out there," though, he said. "There are probably a few families that will leave."

School employees won’t be asked to do any policing, but he said they will have to report students who do not offer up proof of citizenship.

There’s "no question" that the schools will follow the law, he said. Some school employees, such as registrars, might feel torn when they sit down with families they know and have to mark that no documentation has been provided.

"Knowing that what they’re doing may cause them to be deported may cause them to be in a moral dilemna," he said, "but I would tell them that as long as they’re accepting a paycheck from Alabama, they have to follow the law."

Lawrence said he’s sad for the families and for these children.

"I can’t imagine what I would do if I were in that situation. I’d be pulling my children close to me as well, doing whatever I needed to do," Lawrence said.

"The reality is, that’s why they’re here. They’re here for their children. They want the best for their children, and that’s the tragedy in this piece.

"We’re going to continue to work with the children who stay here, make this a safe environment for them to learn."

Well boo fucking hoo. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Law makes babies cry
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
Sorry, but their parents are the ones that chose to be illegal. Blame the lawbreaker, not the law.

No deportation will be necessary if every state does this. They will all go back home. If they want to come back bad enough, they will do it the right way. The same legal way my folks came over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
They're fleeing everywhere!

http://blog.al.com/wire/2011/09/immigration_law_impact_hispani.html

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama — Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.  Fucking A!

Education officials say scores of immigrant families have withdrawn their children from classes or kept them home this week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

There are no precise statewide numbers. But several districts with large immigrant enrollments — from small towns to large urban districts — reported a sudden exodus of children from Hispanic families, some of whom told officials they would leave the state to avoid trouble with the law, which requires schools to check students' immigration status.  How about they leave the fucking country?

The anxiety has become so intense that the superintendent in one of the state's largest cities, Huntsville, went on a Spanish-language television show Thursday to try to calm worried parents.

"In the case of this law, our students do not have anything to fear," Casey Wardynski said in halting Spanish. He urged families to send students to class and explained that the state is only trying to compile statistics.

Police, he insisted, were not getting involved in schools.

In Montgomery County, more than 200 Hispanic students were absent the morning after the judge's ruling, and a handful have withdrawn. In tiny Albertville, 35 students withdrew from school in one day. About 20 students either withdrew or told teachers they were leaving in Shelby County, in suburban Birmingham.  Don't have enough money for schools?  Here's an easy solution.  Don't educate illegals.

Local and state officials are pleading with immigrant families to keep their children enrolled. The law does not ban anyone from school, they say, and neither students nor parents will be arrested for trying to get an education.

But so far, many Spanish-speaking families aren't waiting around to see what happens. Fucking A!

A school worker in Albertville — a community with a large poultry industry that employs many Hispanic workers — said Friday many families might leave town over the weekend for other states. About 22 percent of the community's 4,200 students are Hispanic. Adi-Fucking-os

"I met a Hispanic mother in the hallway at our community learning center this morning, where enrollment and withdrawal happens. She looked at me with tears in her eyes. I asked, 'Are you leaving?' She said 'Yes,' and hugged me, crying," said the worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not an authorized spokeswoman.

In Russellville, which has one of the largest immigrant populations in the state because of its poultry plants, overall school attendance was down more than 2 percent after the ruling, and the rate was higher among Hispanic students.

There's "no firm data yet, but several students have related to their teachers that they may be moving soon," said George Harper, who works in the central office.

Schools in Baldwin County, a heavily agricultural and tourist area near the Gulf Coast, and in Decatur in the Tennessee Valley also reported sudden decreases in Hispanic attendance.

Related report: After immigration ruling at Foley school with Hispanic population, students cry, withdraw, no-show
The law does not require proof of citizenship to enroll, and it does not apply to any students who were enrolled before Sept. 1. While most students are not affected, school systems are supposed to begin checking the status of first-time enrollees now.

The state has distributed to schools sample letters that can be sent to parents of new students informing them of the law's requirements for either citizenship documents or sworn statements by parents.

In an attempt to calm fears that the law may lead to arrests, the letter tells parents immigration information will be used only to gather statistics. Whoever wrote the letter should be fired

"Rest assured," the letter states, "that it will not be a problem if you are unable or unwilling to provide either of the documents."  Rest assured it should be. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
Cause that's the problem with those Mexican immigrants. They're too damn educated. What we need is the a law that forces their children to grow up illiterate so that they're even more of a drain on society than their parents.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
Cause that's the problem with those Mexican immigrants. They're too damn educated. What we need is the a law that forces their children to grow up illiterate so that they're even more of a drain on society than their parents.

Illiterate...literate...in their own country. 

I'll tell you what we really need.  We need to be extra-sensitive to these illegal immigrants and just ignore the fact that American citizens' education is depleting because we can no longer afford it.

I'll tell you what we really need.  We need to keep telling the kids in Algebra that they have to share a textbook with another student because the county is literally too bottomed out to buy new ones.  We need to tell teachers who have 35 kids in a room that there's no money to hire new teachers.

We need to ignore the fact that for every student enrolled, it costs the state $10k per year just to fund that student in the classroom.

And ignore the fact that at my school, we have 76 (as of the first week of school) illegal immigrant children in our school. 

Since education is depleting in this country, I'll do the math for you - that's about $76,000  just at my school alone.  $76k that isn't being repaid through taxes. 

Sorry, but my sensitivity is shot.  At this point, our country has to right the wrong it's committed to itself.  We can't waste a generation of our own children just because we don't want to hurt an illegal immigrant's feelings.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:31:38 PM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »
As has been discussed, as long as we keep up the giveaway programs, they'll continue to take advantage of them.  Education is a very small piece of this mess. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Token

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »
As has been discussed, as long as we keep up the giveaway programs, they'll continue to take advantage of them.  Education is a very small piece of this mess.

My thing is, if we're going to stop the giveaway program (we should), why stop at illegal immigrants?  Why not take e-verify a little further.  I promise you we have many, many more Americans taking advantage of giveaway programs than we do illegals.  If we're finally to the point where it's socially acceptable to cut off welfare programs, why stop with the Hispanic community?

I know a 58 year old grandmother, who COULD draw disability, but doesn't, because she found a job that she could perform with her disability.  If she can, so can 90% of the people drawing government checks now.  If we're going to do this, we should see it all the way through.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
My thing is, if we're going to stop the giveaway program (we should), why stop at illegal immigrants?  Why not take e-verify a little further.  I promise you we have many, many more Americans taking advantage of giveaway programs than we do illegals.  If we're finally to the point where it's socially acceptable to cut off welfare programs, why stop with the Hispanic community?

I know a 58 year old grandmother, who COULD draw disability, but doesn't, because she found a job that she could perform with her disability.  If she can, so can 90% of the people drawing government checks now.  If we're going to do this, we should see it all the way through.

I understand what you're suggesting, but these are two very different issues requiring two completely separate solutions.  Also, as a point of correction, this is NOT focused on Hispanics.  It's focused on illegal immigrants. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Token

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »
I understand what you're suggesting, but these are two very different issues requiring two completely separate solutions.  Also, as a point of correction, this is NOT focused on Hispanics.  It's focused on illegal immigrants.

I disagree.  The law covers illegal immigrants, but is most definitely focused on Hispanics.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 12:50:38 AM »
I disagree.  The law covers illegal immigrants, but is most definitely focused on Hispanics.   
Which is why it will be found unconstitutional ultimately.  There are so many better ways to handle the problem...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 01:34:34 AM »
Which is why it will be found unconstitutional ultimately.  There are so many better ways to handle the problem...

Constitutional protection does not apply to people who are here illegally.  The Constitution is for Americans.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
Constitutional protection does not apply to people who are here illegally.  The Constitution is for Americans.
That has nothing to do with the Constitutionality, it would be how it negatively effects/targets legal Hispanic citizens.  It deems to give police officers probably cause to pull over whomever they like and use this law as a scapegoat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:31 PM »
That has nothing to do with the Constitutionality, it would be how it negatively effects/targets legal Hispanic citizens.  It deems to give police officers probably cause to pull over whomever they like and use this law as a scapegoat.

I support profiling.  Stereotypes exist for a reason.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
It makes me cry knowing that my tax money is going to illegals while Mant Americans still have a hard time getting aid from the government. Round them up and send them home. It has been done here before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:40:04 AM »

Because they are 90% of the illegal population.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »
A police officer can pull me over now and ask for ID with very little reason/cause. If I have my ID, I am ok. What is so unconstitutional about asking for ID from ANYONE, at the State Level? If you are legal, you have nothing to worry about. What part of a someone's Constitutional rights are violated by getting ID asked? Please tell me this. I have to show it for EVERYTHING I do.

And it doesn't target Hispanics. It targets anyone who is illegal. Show me in the law where it says hispanic or Mexican and I will agree with you. You guys think with too much empathy and not enough IQ. And you are making huge inferences that are not there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:45:07 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »

Where does it say anything about Hispanics in the law?  Did the drafters of the legislation have a problem with Hispanics?  (Wasn't that first arrest for someone from Yemen?)  And, if there are "so many better ways" to address this, please correct all of us knuckle-draggers... 

Continuing to tip-toe around this issue and crying "unconstitutional" eveytime we try to do something is just authorizing theft by foreign invaders...  And YES...  They are foreign invaders. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
Where does it say anything about Hispanics in the law?  Did the drafters of the legislation have a problem with Hispanics?  (Wasn't that first arrest for someone from Yemen?)  And, if there are "so many better ways" to address this, please correct all of us knuckle-draggers... 

Continuing to tip-toe around this issue and crying "unconstitutional" eveytime we try to do something is just authorizing theft by foreign invaders...  And YES...  They are foreign invaders.
Yeah, lulz... It's about the illegal Lithuanian population.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
Yeah, lulz... It's about the illegal Lithuanian population.

Oh, I see...  You people have got to make this about race.  Nevermind the fact that the first person arrested under the new law was from Yemen.  That must be a border town in Mexico...  Que?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
More sad wailing...

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/10/baldwins_hispanic_business_own.html

FOLEY, Alabama — On a typical day, Guadalupe Pineda-Rios might sell one bus ticket to Mexico.
On Thursday, he sold 25.  Make 'em one way, multiply that by 100 and we'll have something.

Since 2006, the 61-year-old Pineda-Rios has owned the Foley La Michaoacana market, which caters to Hispanic customers.

Along with the bus tickets, he sells myriad items such as phone cards, soccer shirts, CDs, dolls, snacks, dresses, tortillas and sodas.

Alabama’s strict immigration law, much of which was upheld in a Wednesday ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Sharon Lovelace Blackburn, has driven away as much as 50 percent of his business.

For years Pineda-Rios, a Mexican immigrant himself, had worked odd jobs for little pay — in a field for $15 a day, in a market for $7 an hour — until he had saved enough to start his own business, he said Saturday through interpretation from his 13-year-old son, Jose Carlos Pineda.   English motherfucker.  You live here.  Do you speak it?

In a small strip mall just off Ala. 59, he owns the market, a butcher shop and a restaurant.

"That was his dream of all his life," Jose said. "From night to the morning, his dream went away."
Now, the family’s future is uncertain.

"If the law keeps going," the son said, "he might have to close. And if the business closes, he has to leave." 

Afraid to leave home 

Pineda-Rios’s brother, 52-year-old Clemente Pineda-Rios, who owns a La Michaoacana in Robertsdale, estimates his customer base has dropped by as much as 75 percent.

Standing with his daughter, Jessica Pineda, 18, behind the counter of the store, which also holds a butcher shop and a restaurant, he rubbed his forehead under his baseball cap in frustration. In the past, he saw at least 100 customers a day. These days, he might get 20 to 25.  Yes, the immigration law -- which merely upholds what's legal -- has turned the economy sour.  Well fuck me running.  That's all it is?

Many of his daughter’s closest friends have left the state, and she now rarely leaves home, except to go to work. She stays in Alabama because it’s where her family stays.

"I was born in the United States," she said. "I know I have my American rights. But if I go outside people are going to think I’m illegal. I get scared because we have the color."

Baldwin County has one of the fastest-growing Hispanic populations in the state, with 224 percent more recorded in 2010 — 7,992 — than the 2,466 in 2000, according to the latest Census figures.

The Foley area’s population grew from about 3 percent Hispanic to nearly 8 percent during that same time.

By comparison, Mobile County’s Hispanic population grew by about 125 percent during that decade. 

Business plummets 

For seven years, Jesse Martinez, a 30-year-old Texas native, has owned the Panaderia y Abarrotes (Bakery and Grocery), known by regulars as San Blas, in Foley.

He’s building a home in town for his wife, two sons, ages 8 and 14, and 19-year-old stepdaughter.

In the past, they would make up to 1,000 baked goods a day, including their specialty Tres Leches (three milk) cake, a traditional dessert popular for birthdays, baptisms and weddings.

But in recent months, he said his business is down by as much as 90 percent.  It's the fucking economy, Jose.  You know, that thing your illegal compadres are fucking up.

Two of the four cupboards were completely empty Saturday, with a pile of bananas at front of the store turning black.

Martinez is unsure what he might do if he has to close his business.

"Whatever doesn’t go to waste, we’ll take to the flea market," he said. 

Looking for help from the federal government 
Lunchtime is typically busy at nearby Margarita’s, owned by Robert Iniguez and his wife, Margarita, the restaurant’s namesake.

They serve authentic Mexican cuisine, which their daughter Elizabeth Iniguez, says is hard to find elsewhere in southwest Alabama.

But at noon Saturday, only one table was occupied.   Bullshit.  Don Carlos was full.

Most of the regulars who have left were friends, she said.

While the family hasn’t noticed an increase in police activity since Gov. Robert Bentley signed the immigration law in June, Elizabeth Iniguez said they might have to leave the state as well.

They have thought about opening a market in Mississippi.

Margarita Iniguez, who speaks little English, asked through her daughter whether the federal government would help businesses like hers.

"It’s really hard for our family now," Elizabeth Inguez said.

The U.S. Department of Justice has appealed Blackburn’s ruling, saying Alabama’s law is too far-reaching and encroaches on federal authority over immigration.

"We’re just waiting on Obama," Jessica Pineda said, "to see what he can do."  Fuck this.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions