AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
ESPN SEC Breakdown
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:23:34 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3398934

Three Things I Can't Wait To See This Fall In The SEC
Ivan Maisel

1. Even with Ryan Perrilloux lining up for I-AA Jacksonville State, the biggest issue that LSU faces this fall is not finding a quarterback. The Tigers must replace 11 senior starters and another three on the two-deep. Sure, LSU has talent, but that kind of experience can keep the ship steady when things go wrong. That experience is why LSU became the first two-loss national champion.

2. Speaking of maturity, let's see how Georgia comes out of the box to play home games against Georgia Southern and Central Michigan. A team that finished No. 2 and has been told for eight months how good it is, can get a swelled head. Ask coach Mark Richt, a volunteer assistant on the 1988 Florida State team that opened the season with a 31-0 loss to Miami.

3. What does Florida coach Urban Meyer have cooked up for Tim Tebow? Does he continue to give him nearly half of the carries (210 of 487, 43.1 percent) as he did in 2007 and hope there's no injury worse than the broken right (non-throwing) hand he suffered against Florida State? Imagine how good Tebow will be if the Gators find a tailback.   

Mark Schlabach

1. Georgia junior Matthew Stafford is considered a can't-miss NFL quarterback by most pro scouts and general managers. The big Texan has an extraordinarily strong arm and prototypical size. Bulldogs' coaches are so confident in Stafford, they often refer to him as the "truth." But after completing only 55 percent of his passes in 2007, Stafford needs to be more accurate if Georgia is indeed going to contend for a BCS championship.

2. New Auburn offensive coordinator Tony Franklin needed only two weeks to install his spread offense before the Tigers beat Clemson 23-20 in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. With seven months to polish the attack during the offseason, Auburn might be poised to unseat defending BCS national champion LSU in the SEC West. Franklin must first decide whether Kodi Burns or juco transfer Chris Todd will start the season under center.

3. Florida receiver Percy Harvin is one of the fastest players in college football. Gators freshman Chris Rainey might be faster. If Harvin can recover from a heel injury that required surgery during the spring, the Gators might have the swiftest one-two punch in college football. Offensive coordinator Dan Mullen plans to use both players in multiple ways, causing sleepless nights for many SEC defensive coordinators.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: ESPN SEC Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:26:33 AM »
Also,

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3398132

Breaking down the SEC West

How will Bobby Petrino fare in his first year in Arkansas? Will Auburn's new offense take off? Can Sylvester Croom build off his first winning season at Mississippi State? Take a look at what questions were answered this spring and what problems linger heading into the fall.

Alabama Crimson Tide
2008 Schedule
Aug. 30 @ Clemson
Sept. 6 Tulane
Sept. 13 Western Kentucky
Sept. 20 @ Arkansas
Sept. 27 @ Georgia
Oct. 4 Kentucky
Oct. 18 Mississippi
Oct. 25 @ Tennessee
Nov. 1 Arkansas State
Nov. 8 @ LSU
Nov. 15 Mississippi State
Nov. 29 Auburn

2007 overall record:
7-6

2007 conference record:
4-4

Returning starters
Offense: 9, defense: 6, kicker/punter: 2

Top returners
QB John Parker Wilson, RB Terry Grant, C Antoine Caldwell, OT Andre Smith, LB Rolando McClain, SS Rashad Johnson, KR/PR Javier Arenas
Key losses
WR DJ Hall, WR Matt Caddell, WR Keith Brown, OG Justin Britt, DE Wallace Gilberry, LB Darren Mustin, CB Simeon Castille
2007 statistical leaders (* returners)
Rushing: Terry Grant* (891 yds)
Passing: John Parker Wilson* (2,846 yds)
Receiving: DJ Hall (1,005 yds)
Tackles: Rashad Johnson* (94)
Sacks: Wallace Gilberry (10)
Interceptions: Rashad Johnson* (6)

Spring answers
1. Grant-in-Aid: Despite offseason hernia surgery, sophomore running back Terry Grant was a blur during the spring. He solidified himself as Alabama 's most consistent playmaker with 108 all-purpose yards in the A-Day spring game, including a 75-yard touchdown reception. Look for the Crimson Tide to use Grant in a number of different ways. He's especially effective catching the ball out of the backfield.

2. McElwain digs in: New offensive coordinator Jim McElwain spent the spring installing his offense after coming over from Fresno State. The tight ends figure to play a larger role in McElwain's offense, and quarterback John Parker Wilson thinks the Crimson Tide will be able to better spread the ball around among the receivers.

3. The Saban touch: Now that Nick Saban has been in charge for two entire spring practices, look for the 2008 team to take on his personality and look more like a Nick Saban team. Saban said he could see a big difference this spring in terms of everybody doing things the way he wants them done. Clearly, that cohesion was missing a year ago when the Tide collapsed down the stretch.

Fall questions
1. In Wilson we trust: It will be interesting to see how much McElwain places on the shoulders of senior quarterback John Parker Wilson, who needs to play well and within himself if Alabama is going to contend this season. His finish to last season mirrored that of the team's, so consistency will be a key.

2. Freshmen to the rescue: All eyes will be on a top-rated recruiting class and how many of those guys can help this fall. Saban is urging as many as possible to be on campus by June, and it's no secret that the Alabama staff is counting on immediate help from the freshmen. Wide receiver Julio Jones and linebacker Jerrell Harris are the crown jewels of the class, and both play positions where Alabama could use some help.

3. Depth at linebacker: Sophomore Rolando McClain is a star in the making after earning freshman All-America honors last season. But his supporting cast at linebacker could be shaky. It's a position that will be brimming with inexperience. Prince Hall was suspended for the spring for behavior issues, and it's unknown when or if Ezekial Knight will be able to return because of a heart condition. 

more importantly...

Auburn Tigers
2008 Schedule
Aug. 30 Louisiana-Monroe
Sept. 6 Southern Miss
Sept. 13 @ Mississippi State
Sept. 20 LSU
Sept. 27 Tennessee
Oct. 4 @ Vanderbilt
Oct. 11 Arkansas
Oct. 23 @ West Virginia
Nov. 1 at Mississippi
Nov. 8 Tennessee-Martin
Nov. 15 Georgia
Nov. 29 @ Alabama

2007 overall record:
9-4

2007 conference record:
5-3

Returning starters
Offense: 8, defense: 7, kicker/punter: 2

Top returners
RB Ben Tate, RB Brad Lester, WR Rod Smith, OG Tyronne Green, DE Antonio Coleman, DT Sen'Derrick Marks, SS Zac Etheridge
Key losses
QB Brandon Cox, TE Cole Bennett, OT King Dunlap, DE Quentin Groves, DT Pat Sims, NG Josh Thompson, CB Patrick Lee
2007 statistical leaders (* returners)
Rushing: Ben Tate* (903 yds)
Passing: Brandon Cox (2,080 yds)
Receiving: Rod Smith* (705 yds)
Tackles: Josh Thompson (67)
Sacks: Antonio Coleman* (8.5)
Interceptions: Patrick Lee/Jerraud Powers* (4)

Spring answers
1. Spreading it out: New offensive coordinator Tony Franklin installed his spread offense this spring, giving Auburn a new look from its traditional run-heavy offense. The Tigers won't completely abandon the run, particularly given their deep stable of running backs, but Franklin's offenses at Troy were renowned for their ability to spread people out and get the ball to a variety of different playmakers in the passing game. Keep an eye on versatile running back Mario Fannin.

2. Defensive muscle: Auburn lost marquee defensive linemen Quentin Groves and Pat Sims to the NFL draft, but don't feel sorry for the Tigers. Juniors Sen'Derrick Marks and Antonio Coleman both have star potential, and Marks can play both end and tackle. Coleman didn't start until the sixth game last season, but still finished with 8.5 sacks. Junior college transfer Raven Gray will also be heard from in the defensive line. Coach Tommy Tuberville said Gray might be as good a defensive lineman as he's signed at Auburn, which is saying something.

3. Paving the way: If it's true that you win up front offensively, Auburn should be in great shape this fall. All five starters return on the offensive line, and it's always nice to have that kind of experience when you're putting in a new offense. The same goes for breaking in a new quarterback. Whoever wins the quarterback job will have the luxury of playing behind a line that's been through its share of SEC battles.

Fall questions
1. Quarterback derby: The battle for the starting job between Kodi Burns and junior college transfer Chris Todd will extend into preseason practice. Franklin said it was too close to call in the spring and held off naming a starter. Burns adds the dimension of being able to scramble and make plays and played well in the spring game, but Todd played in Franklin's offense when he was in high school. Although Todd was slowed some in the spring by a sore throwing shoulder, he was the more consistent of the two throwing the ball.

2. Getting defensive: Franklin isn't the only new coordinator on the Auburn staff. Paul Rhoads takes over on defense after coming over from Pittsburgh, where he was the Panthers' defensive coordinator for the previous eight seasons. Speed has typically been the name of the game for the Tigers defensively on Tuberville's watch, but this is a group that will have to establish its own identity under Rhoads.

3. Staying healthy: The Tigers struggled to keep their running backs healthy in the spring. Fannin battled an injured shoulder, and Ben Tate was also banged up. Brad Lester was the only one of the three to make it through unscathed. Whoever adapts best to what Franklin wants to do will play the biggest role this fall. All three do different things well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

BLS

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
The west is wide open. I've already commented on my opinion of what I expect. It's a three way race , AU,Bama and LSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »
I just don't know how you can objectively include Alabama in a race for the West right now when they went 6-6 last year and they are going to have all the same players on the field...that makes no sense to me...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:31:33 PM »
I just don't know how you can objectively include Alabama in a race for the West right now when they went 6-6 last year and they are going to have all the same players on the field...that makes no sense to me...

Objectivity, logic and reason are concepts foreign to our crimson-necked neighbors.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »

Correction.  It's the same players minus the top play makers on both offense and defense.  7-6...lost 4 of the last 5 including La. Monroe and they're a contender for the West?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

BLS

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 12:56:26 PM »

Well, last year we lost half our starting Oline for 4 games. Any team would lose a game or two like that. (Not making an excuse but that hurts, I don't care what team you are)
Every running back we had was banged up throughout the year. Before Grant was hurt he was SEC player of the week twice. There are other problems too, including a new coaching staff, which means a new system. We shuffled players around to positions they'd never played to try and fit them in because we are stuck with '' some '' players that don't fit what this staff is trying to do. We had an offensive coordinator who shouldn't have been here.
We had a lot of reason for what happened last year. Despite all those problems our biggest loss was by seven points. The others were by 2, 3  4 points. With all the shit that happened last years we were in every game we played till the last. This same team that couldn't get their shit together held on till the last and ran pretty well with LSU, AU, Georgia, beat the hell outta Tenn. Yes we lost to MSU and LaMon. We had and still do have problems but with the things that have happened this off season and the difference the team has made from it's first year under Saban to this spring, it has been a huge leap.
This year the team has had one full year to understand what the coaches want for them.
The coaches, players and rest of the staff have noticed a big difference in strength, stamina and over all attitudes. That's just reports from people who are there. I don't know it to be fact but what else do fans have?
 Any way, LSU will have some problems with a new D coordinator, loss of RP. It will cause Miles to have a few hiccups in a couple games he shouldn't.
AU is coming in with a new Dcoordinator and a whole new Offensive scheme. You don't make big changes like that and expect not to have some problems.
I could break it down a lot more but it's too long already.
 Bottom line is I feel like all three teams have just a good shot as the other for the west. I don't think the question marks for any one of the three teams is anything each can't over come to win it.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »
The west is wide open. I've already commented on my opinion of what I expect. It's a three way race , AU,Bama and LSU.

Cue Hogwally.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

BLS

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »
Also let me be clear , I'm not crowning Bama SEC west winners either.
If any team has an advantage ,of the three, it's LSU.
As for AU and Bama. I don't think one is in any better shape to win the west than the other.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »

Well, last year we lost half our starting Oline for 4 games. Any team would lose a game or two like that. (Not making an excuse but that hurts, I don't care what team you are)
Every running back we had was banged up throughout the year. Before Grant was hurt he was SEC player of the week twice. There are other problems too, including a new coaching staff, which means a new system. We shuffled players around to positions they'd never played to try and fit them in because we are stuck with '' some '' players that don't fit what this staff is trying to do. We had an offensive coordinator who shouldn't have been here.
We had a lot of reason for what happened last year. Despite all those problems our biggest loss was by seven points. The others were by 2, 3  4 points. With all the shit that happened last years we were in every game we played till the last. This same team that couldn't get their shit together held on till the last and ran pretty well with LSU, AU, Georgia, beat the hell outta Tenn. Yes we lost to MSU and LaMon. We had and still do have problems but with the things that have happened this off season and the difference the team has made from it's first year under Saban to this spring, it has been a huge leap.
This year the team has had one full year to understand what the coaches want for them.
The coaches, players and rest of the staff have noticed a big difference in strength, stamina and over all attitudes. That's just reports from people who are there. I don't know it to be fact but what else do fans have?
 Any way, LSU will have some problems with a new D coordinator, loss of RP. It will cause Miles to have a few hiccups in a couple games he shouldn't.
AU is coming in with a new Dcoordinator and a whole new Offensive scheme. You don't make big changes like that and expect not to have some problems.
I could break it down a lot more but it's too long already.
 Bottom line is I feel like all three teams have just a good shot as the other for the west. I don't think the question marks for any one of the three teams is anything each can't over come to win it. 

New O-Coordinator in T-Town has no effect on Bama?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 01:45:32 PM »
Also let me be clear , I'm not crowning Bama SEC west winners either.
If any team has an advantage ,of the three, it's LSU.
As for AU and Bama. I don't think one is in any better shape to win the west than the other.

What the Fuck?  :blink:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »
What the Fuck?  :blink:

I think we have as much a chance as you guys. Luck with injuries and whoever can pick up their new offenses quicker should come out on top.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »
I think we have as much a chance as you guys. Luck with injuries and whoever can pick up their new offenses quicker should come out on top.

Hope springs eternal, I guess.

I might even be tempted into another wager with you regarding Bama's 2008 record.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 02:35:47 PM »
Bama's schedule is brutal.  Clemson is supposedly a pre season top 10 team.  You have to walk before you can sprint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »

I just don't see how you can think that Arkansas doesn't have just as good if not better chance than ya'll?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »
I just don't see how you can think that Arkansas doesn't have just as good if not better chance than ya'll?

Naah, their quarterback's a dick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »
I was listening to JOX today while doing nothing at work, and they were discussing the fact that the bookies on Bodawg.com released the odds for the Heisman trophy winner in 2008.  JPW was on the list and they had a good laugh about that.  The odds are 50 to 1 by the way, if you want to throw a few down.  I think the house might win.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »
Naah, their quarterback's a dick.

Well it used to be a Johnson.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BLS

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »
JPW isn't a heisman. Not even close. He will have a good year though.

I think Petrino will do good at ARK. but this year will be too many mistakes for the team trying to get it all together. They are like AU in that the whole system has to go through a change.
I'm not going to argue on my opinion that I think we have as good a chance as you guys. For every reason you have that you guys can do it one could have for the arguement that we have a chance.
I'm not a koolaide drinking bammer that thinks we will win regardless. I feel like this year the way things happened on the coaching staffs with you guys, Ark, and Miles' situation with RP that it will allow us a little better chance to be more competetive in the west. Had you guys not lost your coordinators I think you'd be the clear favorites. And to answer someones question about our new offensive coordinator making that big of a difference, we will still run very close to the same thing we did last year. Only a few more rolll outs and terminology changed. It's not like the whole system has changed. JPW isn't all world but he does have alot of good game experience and I think that will help this year.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 04:01:09 PM »
Well it used to be a Johnson.

It seemed that Nutt was always right up underneath those two.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions