Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sweaty Ball's Boycott

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Sweaty Ball's Boycott
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
http://bites.today.com/_news/2011/09/21/7876625-parents-call-for-boycott-of-ben-jerrys-schweddy-balls-flavor

Parents call for boycott of Ben & Jerry's Schweddy Balls flavor
Ben & Jerry's
By Vidya Rao
Schweddy Balls ice cream is the latest in frozen threats facing your children, at least according to One Million Moms. The conservative organization, an offshoot of American Family Association, has called for a boycott of the newest Ben & Jerry’s flavor because they find it offensive.

“The vulgar new flavor has turned something as innocent as ice cream into something repulsive,” the group posted on its website. “Not exactly what you want a child asking for at the supermarket.”

The flavor is named after the classic Alec Baldwin sketch on “Saturday Night Live,” in which he plays a bakery owner named Pete Schweddy. The most famous line (and the one most often repeated by drunk frat boys) is his end note: “No one can resist my Schweddy Balls.”

Clearly there is a double entendre here, but is it really worth protesting vanilla ice cream with rum and fudge-covered malt balls? After all, Trix may be for kids, but rum ice cream is for the rest of us.

“We’ve been hearing from many fans. It appeals to those who love our irreverent sense of humor,” Ben & Jerry’s spokesperson Sean Greenwood told Gannett News Service. “If you watch the skit, it’s a lot easier to get the joke,” he said.

Well, One Million Moms watched the skit (they give a play-by-play in their call to action), and they are still not amused. They are asking for people to write to Ben & Jerry’s and ask them to refrain from producing another batch of what’s currently a popular flavor.

They also cite their disdain for the special addition of Chubby Hubby called Hubby Hubby, created in 2009 to celebrate the start of legalized gay marriage. “It seems that offending customers has become an annual tradition for Ben & Jerry's,” One Million Moms writes.

We asked some parents on our TODAY Moms Facebook page what they thought, and here's what a few of them had to say:

Rachel Helie: "That's kind of the point. Tongue in cheek. Sheesh. Just because we are mommies, we shouldn't lose our ability to have a sense of humor. My fave is Karamel Sutra, and that is 'provocative.' As long as they keep making it, I could care less."

Jennifer Dean Martz: "Of course it's vulgar. The SNL skit was intentionally vulgar...what SNL skit is not? I just won't buy it as i would never want to hear my kids say they were eating schweddy balls lol"

Shannon Orton: "I'm mad that I cannot find it in any stores in my town and I want to eat Schweddy Balls! Oh and I'm a mom."

What do you think? Did Ben & Jerry’s go too far with Schweddy Balls, or is this organization overreacting?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Sweaty Ball's Boycott
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:50:44 PM »
Shannon Orton: "I'm mad that I cannot find it in any stores in my town and I want to eat Schweddy Balls! Oh and I'm a mom."
:gig:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:53:59 PM »
 :facepalm:

Really?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
I don't give a flying damn what they call that ice cream.  Those two assholes are two of the most liberal pieces of shit in this country, HUGE donors to the DNC, and I would rather be forced to wear a crimpsum tshirt than give those rat-bastards one penny of my money.  I avoid all of their crap completely - there, problem solved.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
I don't give a flying damn what they call that ice cream.  Those two assholes are two of the most liberal pieces of shit in this country, HUGE donors to the DNC, and I would rather be forced to wear a crimpsum tshirt than give those rat-bastards one penny of my money.  I avoid all of their crap completely - there, problem solved.

So you're saying that you don't like sweaty balls?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
So you're saying that you don't like sweaty balls?

Don't put... uh... words in my mouth...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »
Don't put... uh... words in my mouth...
:thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »

You know they don't actually own the company anymore, right?

BTW - liberal or not, they make ice cream the way it's supposed to be made. Not like a fucking frosty from wendy's that comes from a damn powder. I hate fake ass ice cream. Closest to homemade is the best.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:07:04 AM »

BTW - liberal or not, they make ice cream the way it's supposed to be made. Not like a fucking frosty from wendy's that comes from a damn powder. I hate fake ass ice cream. Closest to homemade is the best.

Cherry Garcia, Chunky Monkey, Half Baked, Chocolate, Peanut Butter Cup, and Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch..............Gotdamn!   I didn't realize there were other Ice Creams but those six. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:30:11 AM »
Cherry Garcia, Chunky Monkey, Half Baked, Chocolate, Peanut Butter Cup, and Vanilla Heath Bar Crunch..............Gotdamn!   I didn't realize there were other Ice Creams but those six.
Phish Food is their best creation imnsho.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 10:36:48 AM »

Half Baked - my personal fav.

They have/had one called Dublin Mudslide too. Actually had Bailey's in it (minus the liquor). Roxxors.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »

i disagree...ben and jerry's is to ice cream as starbuck's is to coffee.  both good but marketing is better.  don't stop for a minute to think that the sales of schweedy balls hasn't increased by a bazillion due to the name and the publicity it created. 

mcdonald's brew is so much better.  the dozen of independent coffee drive-thrus that i pass by each day are far better in coffee and customer service than starbuck's.   ice cream...some of the best come from the regional dairies. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
i disagree...ben and jerry's is to ice cream as starbuck's is to coffee.  both good but marketing is better.  don't stop for a minute to think that the sales of schweedy balls hasn't increased by a bazillion due to the name and the publicity it created. 

mcdonald's brew is so much better.  the dozen of independent coffee drive-thrus that i pass by each day are far better in coffee and customer service than starbuck's.   ice cream...some of the best come from the regional dairies.

I guess the jist of what I was saying is that they actually use cream, butter, milk, sugar. Not a fucking powder (like sonic, wendys, mcdonalds, etc). I can taste the difference between a "frozen desert product" and real ice cream. Ben and Jerry's is about the only mainstream brand that makes it right.

I agree McD's brew is better than Starbucks, but that's a subjective taste thing. Doesn't mean that Starbucks doesnt use quality coffee beans, because they do. Taste is subjective, quality and process is not. I don't care for Starbucks, but I admire their quality. At least I know their product isn't rubbish, even if I don't like it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
i disagree...ben and jerry's is to ice cream as starbuck's is to coffee.  both good but marketing is better. don't stop for a minute to think that the sales of schweedy balls hasn't increased by a bazillion due to the name and the publicity it created. 

I think Starbucks coffee is shit tier coffee.  I don't stop on the 30 coffee shops on the way to work.  I would much rather have a cup of Donut Shop.  Much better coffee to me.  Anyways, I don't really see any commercials, hear or read any adds for Ben and Jerry's.  The only time I see something about it is in the Publix sales paper which isn't very often, b/c it hardly ever goes on sale.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
I think Starbucks coffee is shit tier coffee.  I don't stop on the 30 coffee shops on the way to work.  I would much rather have a cup of Donut Shop.  Much better coffee to me.  Anyways, I don't really see any commercials, hear or read any adds for Ben and Jerry's.  The only time I see something about it is in the Publix sales paper which isn't very often, b/c it hardly ever goes on sale.
I like Dunkin and McD's probably the best of all the chains.

Starbucks, IMHO, is better made at home because their beans are the roxxors. I think they make it so commercially in the stores, that half the time it's "off" by the time it gets to you. Either too weak, too strong, luke warm, bitter, etc
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
It's all in my name.

Case closed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »
I like Dunkin and McD's probably the best of all the chains.

Starbucks, IMHO, is better made at home because their beans are the roxxors. I think they make it so commercially in the stores, that half the time it's "off" by the time it gets to you. Either too weak, too strong, luke warm, bitter, etc

I stopped buying from the chains and mom and pops a while back.  Too expensive.   I buy the K-Kups and use those at home and the office.  I haven't tried it in a long time, but believe it or not Captain D's used to have some damn good coffee, too bad they aren't open in the AM.  A cup of joe doesn't really go good with the Captain's cod though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Captain D's used to have some damn good coffee, too bad they aren't open in the AM.  A cup of joe doesn't really go good with the Captain's cod though.

:puke:  You nasty fuck.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »
If I go to Starbucks, I just get a small cup of the house blend in the hopes that it's the most mellow coffee they have. Drown it in half/half and it's still so strong that I toss it after half the cup.  I've been stopping in Atlanta Bread Co. on the way to work for years.  Nothing compares to their house IMO.  Maybe I'm just so used to it but damn, I gotta' have my ABC coffee every morning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."