Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn running the Green Bay Packer's sweep

Auburn running the Green Bay Packer's sweep
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
I read this article a couple of weeks ago and have been paying attention to Auburn's plays.  Auburn perfectly executed the Packer's Sweep/Buck Sweep from the spread formation on Dyer's first touchdown for 52 yards this week.

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/does-anyone-still-use-vince-lombardis-packers-sweep#more-2305

Article is long and has some embedded video's so I'll just pull out some highlights.  BTW, the link goes to a great website for anyone interested in X's and O's.  The guy even has a tag for Malzahn he references him and Auburn so much in his articles.

Vince Lombardi’s “Packers’ Sweep” is probably the single most famous play in football. And, if it is not the most famous play on the field, it is undoubtedly the most famous play to have ever been diagrammed. Very few football fans cannot recall the famous “seal here, and a seal here and he runs…. in the alley,” even if they don’t even know what was actually being described; such was the magic of Lombardi:

But that was then, the common refrain goes. Whether because of the speed of the game, the evolution of offense, or simply the death of the fullback position (which you can see in the diagrams and video had probably the most crucial block in the whole play), the play is simply no longer relevant, having been replaced by zone blocking. Indeed, Bill Walsh’s 49ers, shown in a photo from 1986, was one of the last major NFL teams to run this play.

And it is kind of true that the play is not nearly as popular as it once was, but it — or at least some very similar concepts — have been making a bit of a comeback. The source of the modern “Lombardi Sweep” is the Wing-T “buck-sweep,” maybe the most important play in the entire Wing-T family.

Since he was at Springdale, [Auburn's Gus] Malzahn has been running a version of the old Wing-T “buck sweep” (also sometimes called the “truck sweep”) from the shotgun. Most teams don’t use this because it’s a kind of slow-developing play to the outside, but Herb Hand once mentioned that it averaged more than 10 yards an attempt at Tulsa for a full season. The play is classic Wing-T: The line, tight ends, and receivers all block “down,” or step to their inside to get an angle to cut off defenders’ pursuit, while both guards pull and lead to the outside. Meanwhile, the quarterback executes a fake, causing the defense to hesitate for just a moment, and off the runner goes. And if the generic buck sweep is classic Wing-T, the Auburn version is classic Malzahn, an age-old concept combined not just with the shotgun but with a funky formation and receiver motion. He can use a variety of sets and looks, but against Mississippi State running back Ben Tate scored on a long touchdown run on this play where Malzahn brought the receiver in a sweep motion and the quarterback, after handing it to Tate, faked giving the ball on the reverse, then faked again as if he was setting up for a play-action pass, all of which is possible in this system.

There’s no magic here, and it’s important to remember Lombardi’s dictum: It’s more important to do a few things well than a bunch of clever things poorly. But, given the prevalence of the zone running game today, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the old Wing-T concepts — and, indeed, the old Vince Lombardi man blocked concepts as well — making a resurgence. Some things just never get old.

Here's the play diagram for the article for the Auburn sweep in article

Here's Dyer's play

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

JR4AU

Re: Auburn running the Green Bay Packer's sweep
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
I read this article a couple of weeks ago and have been paying attention to Auburn's plays.  Auburn perfectly executed the Packer's Sweep/Buck Sweep from the spread formation on Dyer's first touchdown for 52 yards this week.

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/does-anyone-still-use-vince-lombardis-packers-sweep#more-2305

Article is long and has some embedded video's so I'll just pull out some highlights.  BTW, the link goes to a great website for anyone interested in X's and O's.  The guy even has a tag for Malzahn he references him and Auburn so much in his articles.

Here's the play diagram for the article for the Auburn sweep in article

Here's Dyer's play

Malzahn runs wing t version.  Not quite same as Green Bay's version.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »
The guy mentions that in the article, but he also says the Packer's version is a variation of the Wing T play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »

We're trying to accentuate the positive here by focusing on the lineage of the plays on offense that are working.

I suggest you start a thread about defense and how Roof learned his defense from this website.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/football-players-roles-in-team-offense-and-defense.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »
We're trying to accentuate the positive here by focusing on the lineage of the plays on offense that are working.

I suggest you start a thread about defense and how Roof learned his defense from this website.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/football-players-roles-in-team-offense-and-defense.html
Ok.  The offense only scored 3 points in the second half...discuss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »

Pod people replaced our players?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »
Pod people replaced our players?
I agree. Motherfuckers always replacing our shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 12:18:14 PM »

I believe the biggest reason there is because Climpsum ran 475 plays in the second half. 

Granted, Mr. Malzahn did not have one of his more stellar days, but the offense did have 24 points and almost 450 yards in offense.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the defense only stopped Climpsum on downs 3 times the entire day...2 of which were on the first 2 series.  Also, after Trotter threw that last pick deep in their territory, Climpsum used the last 8+ minutes leisurely cramming the ball down Auburn's throats to run out the clock.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »

It helps if they have the ball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »
2nd Half
4 Possessions
Time: 7:37
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »
2nd Half
4 Possessions
Time: 7:37
2 punts, 1 interception, and 1 field goal. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »

You've solved the mystery.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Not sure I get your point?
Even the best team in the NFL doesn't score on every possession.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:15:38 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »

Maybe with a middle of the pack D we have more than 7 minutes to do something other than play catchup?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »
Maybe with a middle of the pack D we have more than 7 minutes to do something other than play catchup?

Thus far, opposing offenses have gotten roughly 50% more offensive snaps per game.  AU's offense would have to be near perfect to keep up, and has in 2 of 3 games vs medocre competition.  God help us if we do the same vs Ark, Fla, USCe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
I blame Trovon Reed
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »
Our O wants to run what, 80 plays?  How can we do that when we only have the ball roughly 8 minutes in an entire half?  If the other team is cramming it down your throat chewing up the clock, then you O has to score almost every possession to maintain an even keel with the opposing teams O and you can't make mistakes b/c your D can't stop them from scoring.

Our D has to get off the field on 3rd down, we do that, they aren't scoring which makes them have to play catch up and get "cute" which results in mistakes that we capitalize on.   We aren't doing that b/c our D sucks and we have to try and get everything out of every offensive possession.  It leads to mistakes.

Even if Gus did have a shitty game and I am not saying he didn't.  He should be able to have a couple of brainfarts and have a D to get him the ball back without the opponent scoring every single time up the field.  Vice Versa for the DC.  Right now, Gus doesn't have that luxury. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »
I blame Trovon Reed
It all starts and ends with the long snapper.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »
It all starts and ends with the long snapper.
Snaggle has suffered enough.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.