Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Countdown to Football

Countdown to Football
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:00:11 PM »
In 2007, Auburn started the season 1-2 with losses to South Florida and Miss State.  These were preceded by an embarrassing performance against Kansas State. 

It wasn't until three true freshmen offensive linemen had the gall to call out the veterans in practice.  Rumors surfaced of Ryan Pugh and Chops BlockMcGee being so physical that the coaches decided to play them.

So Lee Ziemba was moved to LT, Chops to RG with Pugh - a true freshman center - manning the RT position. 

From there, Auburn went on to upset Florida in Gainesville, lose to the eventual national champions by a second TD pass, defeat their arch-rival, and win a thrilling New Years Eve bowl game.  They finished 9-4 - not bad for three true freshman linemen. 

This year (as referenced by CFB Live today), the expectations are at an all time low.  We're not even expected to make a bowl game.  6-6 will be respectable.  7-5 a wonderful accomplishment.  8-4 is a homerific prediction. 

What's the #1 reason for these predictions?

Not Cam.  Not Fairley. 

It's the offensive line. 

Bring up Michael Dyer and O-Mac? 

They won't do anything because of the offensive line. 

Bring up the possibility of our QBs being successful?

Not a chance.  They won't have time to get a rhythm because of our offensive line.

Our upcoming season is going to be difficult and frustrating especially after experiencing one of the greatest seasons of all time for all teams. 

But let 2007 be a glimmer of hope.  Sometimes, a hungry young batch of players wanting to prove themselves is all you need to do miraculous things. 

Ask Wes Byrum - true freshmen in 2007.  If it wasn't for that young, inexperienced line in Gainesville, he would have never gotten to run across the field doing the gator chomp. 

68 Days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Countdown to Football
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:26:52 AM »
Yes, I'm sure there will be some true frosh on the OL but Greene and Mosley are no slouches. I also think Sullen and Dismukes will be just fine as well. The first three or four games will be paramount.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:34:04 AM »
Yes, I'm sure there will be some true frosh on the OL but Greene and Mosley are no slouches. I also think Sullen and Dismukes will be just fine as well. The first three or four games will be paramount.
Malzahn and Grimes will get it right. The talent is there though it might take a few games.

My concern is with the defensive depth at tackle and at LB. (lack in numbers, undersized)

We go four deep at DE and in the secondary.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:16:11 AM »
I'm concerned about the QB & LB positions...that's it.  Brandon Mosley came to Auburn as a TE with limited OL playing time.  Against MSU, Ziemba gets hurt midway through the 2nd Qtr, Mosley steps in at Left Tackle and the Offense doesn't suffer at all...I think he played better than Big Z. Then Greene goes out for the season the next week, in comes Mosley at RT...He played as if he should've been the starter at RT all along. Greene was getting smoked by Bowers, not so much against Mosley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »
Yes this is going to be daily.

67 Days

Why should a lack of game time experience be the death of Auburn football? 

Only a few true freshmen players will be relied on.  Reese Dismukes even enrolled in January and went through spring practice, so it's not like he's completely green. 

I understand the lack of experience card being played for most teams.  Those teams are usually wondering about coaching changes.  How is the new coordinator going to work out?  Is this coordinator going to get his act together?  What about the new o-line coach? 

Auburn doesn't have that problem. 

In three years, we've had to replace one coach - the defensive line coach. 

Every position has had consistent coaching from proven coaches, and honestly, I expect to see this well-oiled machine rolling out playmakers every year until we do have a real coaching shake up.

And why should I or anyone worry about Mike Pelton stepping in to replace Tracy Rocker? 

Pelton's notables:
Demarcus Ware
Osi Umenyiora
Ahtyba Rubrin

Pelton was part of a 20 game win streak at Auburn, first team all-SEC, co-captain of the 94 team, and a co-defensive coordinator at Troy where they had tremendous success. 

All of the other coaches should be familiar to you.  They've been at Auburn since 2009. 

While inexperience will slow us down, I see no reason why we shouldn't show signs of being more consistent and more comfortable. 

67 Days. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:30:09 PM »
Yes this is going to be daily.
I look forward to your Daily Affirmations.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
Honestly, this should be front page shit daily with some shit linked here to get some traffic going. I am tired of listening to snaggle's stupid stories talking to the same old people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that we might bite some people in the ass this year.  I love it when the pundits make us such a huge underdog.  Even in some of our worst years, we have never been Ole Miss, or Miss State.

The whole world is trying to make us out to be Vandy and I'm not buying it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
Honestly, this should be front page shit daily with some shit linked here to get some traffic going. I am tired of listening to snaggle's stupid stories talking to the same old people.

Here ya go... Let me give you a 9,345th usage of..

"Listen to him, he's pre-med."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that we might bite some people in the ass this year.  I love it when the pundits make us such a huge underdog.  Even in some of our worst years, we have never been Ole Miss, or Miss State.

The whole world is trying to make us out to be Vandy and I'm not buying it.

Yep. 

And that's precisely the mindset I'm fighting.  At least for now.  I have 66 more posts to make, so I better think of some new material. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »
Here ya go... Let me give you a 9,345th usage of..

"Listen to him, he's pre-med."

And yet, if someone follows that up with "I thought he was pre-law."  "What's the difference?", I automatically smile and think of a simpler time, when Kevin Bacon was a freshman ROTC student, John Belusi was still alive, and this whole world made sense to me.

We are Delta House. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
And yet, if someone follows that up with "I thought he was pre-law."  "What's the difference?", I automatically smile and think of a simpler time, when Kevin Bacon was a freshman ROTC student, John Belusi was still alive, and this whole world made sense to me.

We are Delta House. 

9,345 smiles will do you good then, good sir.  Of course, baby's or the average waterhead will laugh at a serious injury... countless times... regardless of harm done.  That's just pure simple goodness there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Also Pale...

I'm not sure if you use Twitter at all.. (guessing no), but following Jim Gaffigan is great.  His wife just had a baby, and he's tweeting daily demands placed by the newborn.  Classic Gaffigan.  You'd enjoy them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »
Anything that starts with 'tw" is for the gheys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:20 PM »
In 2007, Auburn started the season 1-2 with losses to South Florida and Miss State.  These were preceded by an embarrassing performance against Kansas State. 

It wasn't until three true freshmen offensive linemen had the gall to call out the veterans in practice.  Rumors surfaced of Ryan Pugh and Chops BlockMcGee being so physical that the coaches decided to play them.

So Lee Ziemba was moved to LT, Chops to RG with Pugh - a true freshman center - manning the RT position. 

From there, Auburn went on to upset Florida in Gainesville, lose to the eventual national champions by a second TD pass, defeat their arch-rival, and win a thrilling New Years Eve bowl game.  They finished 9-4 - not bad for three true freshman linemen. 

This year (as referenced by CFB Live today), the expectations are at an all time low.  We're not even expected to make a bowl game.  6-6 will be respectable.  7-5 a wonderful accomplishment.  8-4 is a homerific prediction. 

What's the #1 reason for these predictions?

Not Cam.  Not Fairley. 

It's the offensive line. 

Bring up Michael Dyer and O-Mac? 

They won't do anything because of the offensive line. 

Bring up the possibility of our QBs being successful?

Not a chance.  They won't have time to get a rhythm because of our offensive line.

Our upcoming season is going to be difficult and frustrating especially after experiencing one of the greatest seasons of all time for all teams. 

But let 2007 be a glimmer of hope.  Sometimes, a hungry young batch of players wanting to prove themselves is all you need to do miraculous things. 

Ask Wes Byrum - true freshmen in 2007.  If it wasn't for that young, inexperienced line in Gainesville, he would have never gotten to run across the field doing the gator chomp. 

68 Days.

It all starts up front.  If the OL gets their shit together, then we can be pretty good IMO.  I expect growing pains in the OL.  However, we're not completely devoid of experience there.  Greene, Mosely, and Sullen will bring a bit of needed experience.  The major hole to fill, is at C.  A Fr. there could result in some confusion early.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
You would say that, twat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
twat did you say?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
twat did you say?

I mommy part hear you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:47 AM »
I mommy part hear you.

I have an ear infuction.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »
I have an ear infuction.

You should go to the dicktor and get some peniscillin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions