Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
It takes a lot to bring down a thick-skinned, fire-breathing winged monster. Dragons appear at random in Skyrim and, if they spot you running across the snow-crusted face of a mountain, will veer from their course in the sky, drop to the ground, and proceed to do their best to melt you with flame. They'll swipe at you, take off mid-fight and launch fireballs from the sky, and dive back down at you with high speed. Even if you're in a town you won't be safe from dragons.

Many times the best idea is to run and take shelter in houses or crash through the nearest dungeon door. Other times it's best to go for the kill, since slaying a dragon allows you to absorb its soul for beneficial effects. It seems like this could be a fairly common occurrence in Skyrim, because there isn't a set cap on the number Bethesda is including. The encounters aren't supposed to be easy, either, but function in many cases like optional bosses you can choose to tangle with or flee from. If you want to have a chance against these things, you'll need to be smart about building your character, embarking on quests to gain rewards, clearing dungeons, and more in Bethesda Game Studios' upcoming role-playing epic.

It all starts with creating your character, a process that's been trimmed down in Skyrim as compared to previous Elder Scrolls games. You'll still get to pick from one of 10 fantasy races, customize your physical appearance, and select a gender, but after that it's right into the game you go. The eight attribute categories from the previous Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion, have been cut out. Now you only have to worry about your Magicka to cast spells, Health for your hit points, and Stamina, which serves as a limiting factor when pulling off axe slashes and mace bashes in combat.

Much of the leveling system you might be used to has been reworked. In Skyrim, all skill increases fill an overall leveling gauge, just as experience points tend to do in most role-playing games. So if you use one-handed swords all the time, your one-handed swords skill will continue to increase and gradually fill the level gauge. When the gauge is full, you level up, which nets you a point to unlock additional abilities -- Fallout-like perks -- within each skill tree.

Much of the interface has been redesigned for Skyrim to feel more interactive. All items, including weapons, shields, plot items, and plants can be zoomed in on and inspected within the inventory screen. This can be taken advantage of for superficial reasons to marvel at the level of detail on each piece of armor, but also for practical reasons like opening and reading the various books you'll find in Skyrim or inspecting plot items adventure game-style to reveal information useful in solving dungeon puzzles. Meanwhile, the skill readout isn't a list but a bright, polychromatic display of star constellations, where each star serves as an unlock node for perks. The overwold map has been given an upgrade too, as it's a three-dimensional representation of Skyrim presented in a way that's similar to strategy games like Civilization V and Total War: Shogun 2.

When you engage in conversation the game no longer pauses – time continues normally, there's no more persuasion mini-game to worry about, and the overlay of conversation options takes up only minimal space onscreen. By hovering around NPCs while they're engaged in chatter you'll pick up bits of information that can lead to new quests that may differ depending on which NPCs are still alive as well as a host of other variables tracked by the game, including whether or not it's been a while since you've fought a dragon.

The number of dragon shouts you learn and the tiers you unlock isn't a pre-set thing. It's dependent on how willing you are to explore all of Skyrim's 120 or so dungeons. In some you'll find word walls, giant slabs of stone upon which are etched symbols written in the dragons' language that can be interpreted and added to your dragon shout collection. You've got to be careful in these areas though because, as tends to be the case when you combine subterranean valuables and fantasy settings, powerful creatures will try to stop you. You'll face off against frost trolls, spell-slinging skeleton priests that can summon frost atronachs, as well as Draugr, basically zombified Nord (the original residents of Skyrim) and giant spiders.

It's clear Bethesda's spent time working on the animations with its new Creation engine, as the sword swings and mace slams of combat have a more natural look. Bandits stagger and sway and your screen and equipped gear shake as slashes are exchanged. Notifications of skill gains from combat are also displayed with a flashier presentation, as you'll get a visual notification of each skill up and how that affects your leveling progress, paired with audio cues to make it feel more rewarding. But perhaps the best effect of all is, after you manage to bring down a dragon, how its corpse erupts into flame and slowly disintegrates while wisps of magical energy flow into your character to underline how your skill in battle was enough to silence something seemingly invincible.

Clearly there's a lot going on in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which like all Elder Scrolls games is absolutely enormous. From what's been shown off so far, it looks like a role-playing game fan's dream come true, and one of the most beautiful virtual fantasy worlds in existence.[/i]

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »
Gameplay trailer

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
I sooooooooooooooo want to buy this game, but it comes out the same time as MW3.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:12:58 PM »
!
Not going to lie, pretty fucking awesome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
Closing Comments

It's difficult to ever feel completely satisfied with a play session of Skyrim. There's always one more pressing quest, one more unexplored tract of land, one more skill to increase, one more butterfly to catch. It's a mesmerizing game that draws you into an finely crafted fictional space packed with content that consistently surprises. The changes made since Oblivion are many, and result in a more focused and sensible style of play, where the effects of every decision are easily seen. Featuring the same kind of thrilling freedom of choice The Elder Scrolls series is known for along with beautiful visuals and a stirring soundtrack, playing Skyrim is a rare kind of intensely personal, deeply rewarding experience, and one of the best role-playing games yet produced.

9.0 Presentation
An elegant menu system and a huge amount of story content to dig into. Bugs and stability issues do exist, however.

9.5 Graphics
Stunning environmental detail make exploring Skyrim all the more rewarding. Some character models and animations look unnatural.

10 Sound
An incredible soundtrack and great sound design help make Skyrim feel like a real place.

9.5 Gameplay
Though the up-close weapon combat is still awkward, customizing your character and conquering all Skyrim's challenges is consistently satisfying.

10 Lasting Appeal
A game of staggering size and filled with content, so there's always a reason to return.

9.5 OVERALL
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:23:01 AM »
If you pick this game up, don't plan on playing anything else for the next few weeks.

Put about 5 hours into it last night, and I've only scratched the surface.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:37:44 AM »
If you pick this game up, don't plan on playing anything else for the next few weeks.

Put about 5 hours into it last night, and I've only scratched the surface.

From what I have read it is about 65 hours of gameplay if you do nothing except the main quest and a little more than double that if you do all the side ones.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
I want to play this, but I don't know If I can handle the MW3 addiction along with a Skyrim addiction.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »
I want to play this, but I don't know If I can handle the MW3 addiction along with a Skyrim addiction.
You love it like a fat kid love cake.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »
Is there any multiplayer aspect to this game?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
Is there any multiplayer aspect to this game?

No.  There was talk of it but it never came to pass.  I think that is the logical next step in console RPGs though.

I picked up my copy yesterday but refuse to open it until I finish getting ranked up in MW3, plus there is a whole new lot of children that i have not had the opportunity to cuss out yet.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:04:54 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
No.  There was talk of it but it never came to pass.  I think that is the logical next step in console RPGs though.

I picked up my copy yesterday but refuse to open it until I finish getting ranked up in MW3, plus there is a whole new lot of children that i have not had the opportunity to cuss out yet.
Amen, my new favorite is just to yell "Sandusky" at them as I play. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
Do I need to have played the previous Elder Scrolls games to play this one?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
Do I need to have played the previous Elder Scrolls games to play this one?

Negative ghost rider.  Completely stand alone game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »
Okay this game is the finest crystal methamphetamine that has ever been put out on a console if you like RPGs. 

Side note to those that did not play the first one.  They do not explain this part very well/at all in the new one.  You will find items in this game called soul gems.  You need these to recharge your magical items so do not sell them.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 01:23:15 PM »
Okay this game is the finest crystal methamphetamine that has ever been put out on a console if you like RPGs. 

Side note to those that did not play the first one.  They do not explain this part very well/at all in the new one.  You will find items in this game called soul gems.  You need these to recharge your magical items so do not sell them.

Stop giving me boners.  My Xbox is currently broken...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »
Stop giving me boners.  My Xbox is currently broken...
Saniflush gives VV Boners.

You giving up on MW3 already Sani?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »
Saniflush gives VV Boners.

You giving up on MW3 already Sani?

Not at all. 
Just was pushing to get ranked up before I tore into Skyrim so whenever I get on MW3 I still have all my shit.   Screw prestiging!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions