Cecil Admits to Discussing Under the Table Money - Sources Say

Cecil Admits to Discussing Under the Table Money - Sources Say
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:24:09 PM »
http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/25778803/detail.html

Exclusive: Cam Newton's Dad Admits Money Talks, Says Source
Cecil Newton Stresses Son's Hands Are Clean

Posted: 9:38 pm EST November 12, 2010
Updated: 10:18 pm EST November 12, 2010

ATLANTA -- While Auburn University quarterback Cameron Newton has had to overcome more than tacklers in his well-chronicled, redemptive run to college football stardom, his dad has been scrambling in recent days to explain his own actions.

A source close to the situation exclusively told Channel 2 Action News investigative reporter Mark Winne that the player's father, Cecil Newton, has admitted having conversations with an ex-Mississippi State University player about the possibility of under-the-table money if Cam Newton signed to play football at Mississippi State, though he's steadfastly maintained that no money ever changed hands and said no official at Mississippi State ever made such an offer.

According to Winne’s source, Cecil Newton said his son’s hands are clean, and has made it clear that Cam Newton himself and his mother knew nothing about the money discussions, nor did Auburn University, with whom the Westlake High School grad from College Park eventually signed with out of junior college.

Winne’s source, who acknowledged sympathies on the Newton side of things, said the player and both parents have demonstrated a willingness to cooperate with the NCAA, beyond even the financial records turned over by the family, and from churches Cecil Newton oversees.

Watch Winne's exclusive report on the Channel 2 Action News Nightbeat at 11 p.m.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Token

Re: Cecil Admits to Discussing Under the Table Money - Sources Say
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »
This is the most tangled story I've ever seen. 

So, there was money talks between Cecil and the ex MSU player?  Rogers is telling the truth?  WTF?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »

So, there was money talks between Cecil and the ex MSU player?  Rogers is telling the truth?  WTF?

I mean, it's a weak weak story.

But it's the first on the record article claiming Cecil admits to talking about money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
I agree.  I'm going to need to see Cecil say, with his own lips moving, that he discussed money talks with MSU.  No more fucking sources. 

BUT if that happens.  IF Cecil admits to talking cash for play.  He'll have a lot more to worry about than the FBI or the NCAA. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
I agree.  I'm going to need to see Cecil say, with his own lips moving, that he discussed money talks with MSU.  No more fucking sources. 

BUT if that happens.  IF Cecil admits to talking cash for play.  He'll have a lot more to worry about than the FBI or the NCAA.

What if the offer was brought to Cecil though? What if he didn't really believe that he could get that much money, and thought for a brief second of all the things that the money could do. What if he asked do you really think I could get all that money? What if, after a little bit of thought about it, he realized it was a bad idea and Cam went to Auburn.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:46:18 PM »
What if the offer was brought to Cecil though? What if he didn't really believe that he could get that much money, and thought for a brief second of all the things that the money could do. What if he asked do you really think I could get all that money? What if, after a little bit of thought about it, he realized it was a bad idea and Cam went to Auburn.

Prove it.

Let's say this is how it goes down.  How do you change public perception?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:52:52 PM »
Prove it.

Let's say this is how it goes down.  How do you change public perception?
Audio tapes would be the only way to prove it, other than that it's a "he said-he said" deal.  I'm fed up with "sources", a crackhead that needs their fix could call up ESPN and talk to Joe Schad and give him a "story" for some $$$.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Token

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »

If he talked about money.  If he entertained the ideas of cash from Rogers.  Then he has been telling lies until now.  Forget the FBI.  Forget the NCAA.  This man is an ordained man of God.  And if he admits to discussing cash only after the alleged "tapes" are brought to light, then he has all but destroyed his testimony.  And that, for a Christian, is much worse than anything the world can bring down upon him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »

Exactly.  What was the context?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:37 PM »
There are no tapes, end of story. If there are, well this is no good for MSU; plain and simple. If there are, they will be lost unless it is to give Kenny Rogers the shaft.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:52 PM »
Come to think of it, I think it is great news.  No more "ammo" by the ones trying to bring Auburn down.  The Newtons recently spoke with the NCAA, and they were supposedly satisfied with what was discussed (skreets).  Cam nor his mother knew about the $$$ being talked about.  Therefore, Cecil didn't act on behalf of Cam.  Cam & Auburn are in the clear, unless it can be proven (audio/video) that Cam knew.  Whew, what a week this has been, lol.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »
What does this mean?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »

I mean, it's a weak weak story.

But it's the first on the record article claiming Cecil admits to talking about money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:52:06 PM »
What does this mean?
It means that Auburn finally jumped out in front of the story with one of their own reporters (read, orcrastrated by Auburn) and squashed any hopes of the "Breaking News" bullshit and hopefully put this fuckin soap opra to bed, once and for all.

"This has nothing to do with Auburn."

So, unless Cam says that he knew about the $$$ or there's audio of him claiming it, then Cam & Auburn are clear...10-0, one game away from clinching our first SEC Champioship appearance since '04, and on track to playing in our first ever BCS Championship.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »
It means that Auburn finally jumped out in front of the story with one of their own reporters (read, orcrastrated by Auburn) and squashed any hopes of the "Breaking News" bullshit and hopefully put this fuckin soap opra to bed, once and for all.

"This has nothing to do with Auburn."

So, unless Cam says that he knew about the $$$ or there's audio of him claiming it, then Cam & Auburn are clear...10-0, one game away from clinching our first SEC Champioship appearance since '04, and on track to playing in our first ever BCS Championship.

But I thought this was explained already. 

I thought the NCAA ruled that solicitation is just as bad as accepting/providing extra benefits.  And that it would be ruled as such. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 12:00:29 AM »
We had something beautiful going. 

And if it were orchestrated by Auburn to have Cecil Newton admit to talking about money with Rogers?  After he just went on record last week saying he had no knowledge of such a thing and only knew of Rogers?  Well, someone needs to shoot the orchestrator. 

Cecil's already denied this.  Nothing good will come by changing stories now.  Especially not when every media outlet in the Universe has blamed him more than anyone. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »
We had something beautiful going. 

And if it were orchestrated by Auburn to have Cecil Newton admit to talking about money with Rogers?  After he just went on record last week saying he had no knowledge of such a thing and only knew of Rogers?  Well, someone needs to shoot the orchestrator. 

Cecil's already denied this.  Nothing good will come by changing stories now.  Especially not when every media outlet in the Universe has blamed him more than anyone.

We did have something good going.  I think djsimp's head might have exploded.  And he's probably drunk. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 12:38:36 AM »
But I thought this was explained already. 

I thought the NCAA ruled that solicitation is just as bad as accepting/providing extra benefits.  And that it would be ruled as such.
If Cecil even as much hinted to MSU about being paid, Cam is ineligible, whether he or anybody else in the family knew about it or not. Period. It doesn't matter where Cam ended up playing at. And you are correct on the NCAA ruling. They changed this in 2009. And here's the kicker about proof; the NCAA is kind of like comparing a civil court to a criminal court. The NCAA doesn't even have to have a smoking gun. In their rules, they simply have to find within reason that something probably happened.

Again, I highly highly doubt AU paid Cam. However, it's looking more and more like Cecil solicited something from somebody. If he did, he will be ruled ineligible. Prowler, you can whistle past the greaveyard all you want, but this is fact. While it sucks for AU because they didn't really do anything wrong, they will forfeit or vacate any game Cam played in if they decide Cecil solicited cash.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler