Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 7

boartitz

Re: Thoughts - Week 7
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
Course Nutt went 9-3 and Tied for 1st in the West his first year, but no credit to Nutt, those were Ford's players...that he went 8-14 with the previous two years.  And of course, Nutt gets the blame for Petrino's 5-7 first year, even though Nutt went 18-8 the previous 2 years. 

Funny, when you hate a coach, how you can find a way to attribute EVERYTHING bad to him, and credit him with nothing.
How did an Auburn fan get membership in the NuttHugger's club? Or are you a Falcon fan? Maybe yall can get Nutt after Gus leaves and Chizik is canned a few years down the road.
Nah, I wouldn't wish that on yall.
3 years after Nutt, we are making progress. Look at what he is doing to Ole Miss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 10:33:05 PM »
How did an Auburn fan get membership in the NuttHugger's club? Or are you a Falcon fan? Maybe yall can get Nutt after Gus leaves and Chizik is canned a few years down the road.
Nah, I wouldn't wish that on yall.
3 years after Nutt, we are making progress. Look at what he is doing to Ole Miss.

You mean back to back 9 win seasons at Ole Miss?  Which, Im sure is a first in modern times.  You mean a 9 win season last year, despite his NFL QB tanking on him?   Hell, Cutcliffe couldn't do it with Manning.  Tubs never did it.  Billy Brewer may have had back to back 8 win seasons. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 10:43:16 PM »
No, asking when he'll do better than Nutt at Ark.  When is Petrino the genius going to have a better record than Nutt the moron?  When will he win the SECC?  If he can't do it with a guy like Mallet...when will he do it?

That depends on how you want to quantify it.

If we win our bowl game, Petrino will have won in three years as many as Nutt won in 10. 

Nutt won 9 in his first season.  The next year he won 8.  The next year, he won 7.  The next year, he won 6.  Petrino won 5.  Then 8.  This year, we should win more than 8.  I like where we're trending.  That's not even getting into the fact that the SEC West is about 1000x more difficult than it was in the late 90s/early 2000s. 

Nutt made two SEC Championship games.  2006 was legit, and we legitimately had a shot in the game against Florida.  Unlike many Hog fans, I give him that one.  But '02 was bull malarkey.  We won a 3-way tie for SECOND and got to go because 1st place Bama was on probation.  So, yeah, he "took us to Atlanta" in the course of having a better conference record than Ole Miss and MSU.   

This was Petrino's first season with the pieces in place.  We lost a heartbreaker to Bama, and we lost on the road to Cam Newton, but I feel good about the prospect of winning out.  Even at Auburn, 9-3 or 10-2 isn't TOO disappointing of a season, is it?  Are you such an elite program that 9-3 makes you feel like you'll never get to the top?  Why should we feel that way at Arkansas?

The "if not with Mallett, when?" is idiotic.  Petrino will always have a top-notch quarterback.  Always.  If you've paid any attention to him at all, you'd know that.  He attracts great quarterbacks, and he also develops them into better quarterbacks.  Look at what he did with Casey Dick in one freaking season.  The question to ask is when Petrino will develop the defense that will enable him to win the conference.  I think it will happen.  You obviously don't.  Time will tell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
Petrino will always have a top-notch quarterback.
This point I would def agree with. The other point about the D would like to illuminate. He is not a D kind of guy, this can be verified by any point in his coaching tenure. You know, many could same the same the last two seasons with Auburn. The funny thing is, both teams are traditionally known to have some serious f'n strong defenses. What I think folks have to realize is that having this type of offense will take a new era type of DC that can capture the same type of SEC defensive capacity mixed with a D that can come back in because the offense has such a quick strike mentality. Auburn and Arkansas will lead this revolution just because of their abilities. This mentality will have to think outside the box just as our offensive minds have done so. Right now, it just so happens that the two leading the charge in this are the two teams that are putting up gaudy numbers offensively. Do I think this is just coincidence? No, I don't think so. Defensively, it can be done to be that SEC level defense but it will take a DC that has been modernized but have the sense to take historic defenses and tweek them for the modern. (see current OC's).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2010, 11:13:01 PM »

If we win our bowl game, Petrino will have won in three years as many as Nutt won in 10. 

Nutt won 9 in his first season.  The next year he won 8.  The next year, he won 7.  The next year, he won 6.  Petrino won 5.  Then 8.  This year, we should win more than 8.  I like where we're trending.  That's not even getting into the fact that the SEC West is about 1000x more difficult than it was in the late 90s/early 2000s. 

Nutt made two SEC Championship games.  2006 was legit, and we legitimately had a shot in the game against Florida.  Unlike many Hog fans, I give him that one.  But '02 was bull malarkey.  We won a 3-way tie for SECOND and got to go because 1st place Bama was on probation.  So, yeah, he "took us to Atlanta" in the course of having a better conference record than Ole Miss and MSU.   

This was Petrino's first season with the pieces in place.  We lost a heartbreaker to Bama, and we lost on the road to Cam Newton, but I feel good about the prospect of winning out.  Even at Auburn, 9-3 or 10-2 isn't TOO disappointing of a season, is it?  Are you such an elite program that 9-3 makes you feel like you'll never get to the top?  Why should we feel that way at Arkansas?

The "if not with Mallett, when?" is idiotic.  Petrino will always have a top-notch quarterback.  Always.  If you've paid any attention to him at all, you'd know that.  He attracts great quarterbacks, and he also develops them into better quarterbacks.  Look at what he did with Casey Dick in one freaking season.  The question to ask is when Petrino will develop the defense that will enable him to win the conference.  I think it will happen.  You obviously don't.  Time will tell.

You were doing pretty good with that post...well reasoned and thought out, not full of fan bullshit like "those were Ford's players", and hate.  But the question of  "if not with Mallet, then when?"  Is a legit question.  Hell, Cutcliffe managed a 10 win season at Ole Miss on the back of Eli Manning.  Petrino might attract great HS QBs...few pan out to be GREAT at this level.  Mallet, could likely be the best he has for a while, which isn't to say that he won't have good ones. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »

Hell, anyone with half a brain can see that wherever Coach Petrino goes, he'll have a really good QB every year.  Just look at this past Saturday as a perfect example, Tyler Wilson is going to be a great QB, Coach Malzahn wanted him at Tulsa.  Coach Petrino and Coach Malzahn both thought he was a good enough player to extend one of their allotted 25 scholarships to.

I agree with what DJ posted, the Defenses will evolve.  It'll, more than likely, take a HS DC to start the evolution in College. I know one thing for sure, you'll definitely need plenty of depth to run a HUNH Defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 11:47:47 PM »
You were doing pretty good with that post...well reasoned and thought out, not full of fan bullpoop like "those were Ford's players", and hate.  But the question of  "if not with Mallet, then when?"  Is a legit question.  Hell, Cutcliffe managed a 10 win season at Ole Miss on the back of Eli Manning.  Petrino might attract great HS QBs...few pan out to be GREAT at this level.  Mallet, could likely be the best he has for a while, which isn't to say that he won't have good ones.

You're not getting it.  Even if Mallett is the most gifted quarterback Petrino ever has, that doesn't mean that Mallett gives Petrino his best shot at an SEC Championship.  There will be 10 other Razorbacks on the field with the QB, whoever it is.  And 11 others on defense.  Besides, football isn't played in a vacuum.  The other teams sort of matter as well.    I suspect you know all this, but were hoping I wouldn't bring it up, since it cuts your original question off at the knees.

The irony of irony is you, an Auburn fan, asking that question after you witnessed Mallett's backup carve your defense to shreds.  And as boartitz said, people are even MORE excited about the third and fourth string.  Brandon Mitchell is a Louisiana prospect nobody had heard of because he was supposed to play basketball.... AT UCONN.  Think he can get up and down the field?  Cannon for an arm, too, supposedly just as strong as Mallett.  And of course, we have a commitment from 4* Brandon Allen, Razorback Asst Coach Bobby Allen's son.  He'll know Petrino's system inside and out before he takes his first freshman practice.

Our quarterback will never keep us from winning the SEC.  Just have to get the other pieces into place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »
You're not getting it.  Even if Mallett is the most gifted quarterback Petrino ever has, that doesn't mean that Mallett gives Petrino his best shot at an SEC Championship.  There will be 10 other Razorbacks on the field with the QB, whoever it is.  And 11 others on defense.  Besides, football isn't played in a vacuum.  The other teams sort of matter as well.    I suspect you know all this, but were hoping I wouldn't bring it up, since it cuts your original question off at the knees.

The irony of irony is you, an Auburn fan, asking that question after you witnessed Mallett's backup carve your defense to shreds.  And as boartitz said, people are even MORE excited about the third and fourth string.  Brandon Mitchell is a Louisiana prospect nobody had heard of because he was supposed to play basketball.... AT UCONN.  Think he can get up and down the field?  Cannon for an arm, too, supposedly just as strong as Mallett.  And of course, we have a commitment from 4* Brandon Allen, Razorback Asst Coach Bobby Allen's son.  He'll know Petrino's system inside and out before he takes his first freshman practice.

Our quarterback will never keep us from winning the SEC.  Just have to get the other pieces into place.
hmmm 1000x more difficult than in the late 90's and early 2000's. How's that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2010, 09:49:06 AM »
And of course, we have a commitment from 4* Brandon Allen, Razorback Asst Coach Bobby Allen's son.  He'll know Petrino's system inside and out before he takes his first freshman practice.

How can we believe anything you say when you put whatever "star" ranking you want on Arkansas' next best QB? Brandon Allen is a "3*" on scout, rivals and ESPN...

Now, I am not saying that he won't be good, but you bumping up just to make him look good, makes the whole rest of your bullshit post look like....well....bullshit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2010, 11:32:19 AM »
How can we believe anything you say when you put whatever "star" ranking you want on Arkansas' next best QB? Brandon Allen is a "3*" on scout, rivals and ESPN...

Now, I am not saying that he won't be good, but you bumping up just to make him look good, makes the whole rest of your bullpoop post look like....well....bullpoop.

Or maybe I made a mistake. I honestly thought he had 4 stars already. I think that's where he's been projected.  But if you want to discount everyhing I said because of that, rock the hell on. Petrino will never find another qb because I said Brandon Allen was a 4* instead of a 3*

Jesus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2010, 11:34:13 AM »
Or maybe I made a mistake. I honestly thought he had 4 stars already. I think that's where he's been projected.  But if you want to discount everyhing I said because of that, rock the hell on. Petrino will never find another qb because I said Brandon Allen was a 4* instead of a 3*

Jesus.

I just find it hard to believe that Arkansas has 2 or 3 QB's better than Wilson...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »
I just find it hard to believe that Arkansas has 2 or 3 QB's better than Wilson...

Me too. Not to say the other QB's are shit, just that Wilson looks too damn good to not be the starter after Mallet. Hell, he might should be the starter this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »
Or on the same level as Mallett, for that matter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »

Mistake, or intentional, neither speaks well of the content of your ramblings regarding your assessment of the Petrino/Ark future QB situation.   It smacks of just popping off with hopes and dreams, not facts.  However, it doesn't have any bearing on whether Petrino will have a good QB or not, just that you won't know it until it happens.  Your last sentence is just plain juvenile.  It hurts your overall cred.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »
Not really saying anything, but we (Auburn) has on few occasions made an avg looking QB look like a Heisman candidate.

See Jarrett Lee in 08
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »
Not really saying anything, but we (Auburn) has on few occasions made an avg looking QB look like a Heisman candidate.

See Jarrett Lee in 08

We just made a backup that nobody's heard of (and probably won't start again once the 4 star that's really a 3 star gets on campus) look like Joe Mother Fucking Montana's and Peyton Fucking Manning's love child.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
We just made a backup that nobody's heard of (and probably won't start again once the 4 star that's really a 3 star gets on campus) look like Joe Mother Fucking Montana's and Peyton Fucking Manning's love child.
Peyton Montana has balls of steel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »
Peyton Montana has balls of steel.

yeah, and he threw them at our pitiful secondazry** for more than 300 yards.

** that was a typo, but after I considered it, it made sense, so I left it in...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »

Nobody knows who is better. Because Wilson has looked overwhelmed in every meaningful snap he's ever had up until yesterday. People are more excited about Brandon Mitchell because he is a better physical specimen. When they both got into the game in mop up early this year, Wilson looked awful while Mitchell threw an absolutely perfect deep route about 40 yards that fell right through a frosh receivers hands.  Best pass thrown by ANY of our QBs this year, Mallett included, and was stone cold dropped. 

SOME people are more excited about Jacoby Walker, who had a better Spring game than Wilson. I didn't se the spring game, so I don't know. 

The knock on Wilson, in addition to not looking good during his limited action, is that he habitually fumbles the snap taken under center.  This poses a problem in a pro style offense.  He would sometimes fumble three or four per practice.  That is a serious issue. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to know all that.  Which is why I don't try to tell you what YOUR backup QB situation is like.  Because I have no idea.

I am really surprised at the reluctance to believe that Petrino could stockpile talent at qb, considering Auburn used to have magazine covers hyping their four-headed running attack.  Why couldn't we be super deep at qb, where most of our yards come from?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
Why couldn't we be super deep at qb, where most of our yards come from?

I'm not sure, but I think the argument, at least for me, is not the fact Petrino can or can't stock pile QB's. The argument is that the other QB's would be better than Wilson, especially as good as he looked Sat. Of course like GF said, AUburn has a way to make opposing QB's look better than great.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:05:33 PM by djsimp41 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions