Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 6

Thoughts - Week 6
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:51:02 AM »
Hang on a second.  I need to load this Chuck Mangione CD and put "Feels So Good" on repeat. 

Auburn...  

- Cam Newton Express?  Cam Newton Can?  Yes We Cam?  We've got to eventually come up with some kind of nickname for this demigod.  He only deserves it. 

- This is the difference between last season and this season.  Kentucky is one of the most difficult opponents in the SEC.  Blasphemy, you say?  Well think of it this way - who really cares about playing Kentucky?  It's like playing Vanderbilt or Mississippi State.  It should be an easy win.  It should be a chance to play younger guys and try out a few new plays.  But Kentucky right now is a pretty good football team, and in order to beat them, you have to go in with the same energy and emotions as if you were playing Arkansas or South Carolina. 

- And that's where we made the jump.  Both last year and this year, our team had blank faces plagued by yawns and itchy eyes.  Our team wanted to be anywhere but Lexington last night, and just like last year, Kentucky burned us for it.  But last year, we didn't have the talent or testicular fortitude to get the W.  This year, however, we did.  We reached down deep and put together a beautiful drive led by Cam Newton and kicked the game winning field goal. 

- Let me ask you this - did our team run around crazy with big smiles after the game winning field goal last night?  It almost looked like they said, "Whew.  Alright.  Let's get on the plane." 

- As for the actual game plan, it looked decent on offense.  I still feel like we run Cam Newton too much.  We're not in position to have a running back by committee.  I think even though Dyer is young and will have a few mistakes, it's important to take the risk and give him the ball consistently throughout the game. 

- Defensively, what else would you expect?  And before we crucify Ted Roof and the poor tackling and that ridiculous Randall Cobb run, we all must realize that we experienced what all of our opponents experience when facing Cam Newton.  Randall Cobb is an incredible football player, and he burned us. 

- This team is still on the up and up.  I think we have a good shot to beat Arkansas at home this weekend and head into the LSU game undefeated. 

Alabama...

- Oh how the mighty has fallen.  It wasn't enough for South Carolina to just beat you.  They beat you at your own game. 

- Saban's baby, the "NFL ready" secondary?  Made silly by Stephen Garcia. 

- The front 7 which is dubbed one of the best in college football?  No sacks.  Lattimore got 93 yards.  His back up churned out yards.  Even Garcia got to the next level. 

- The Heisman trophy winner and his more talented back up?  Held to 36 yards.

- If only Lattimore had gotten 7 more yards.  That would have toppled everything Alabama has stood on for the past few years.

- This is a precarious moment for the Alabama season.  In order to regroup and really get back into the NC race, Alabama has to find the right leadership from the right people.  How did the leadership respond?

- Nick Saban (it starts with him) was completely inappropriate if you ask me.  His post game comments nearly...just nearly... threw his team under the bus.  Maybe I missed the context and the exact words, but "This team will learn a lesson from this," and "these guys have to understand how to prepare and understand what it is we're trying to do" sounds an awful lot like, "the players didn't get the job done because we had a good game plan."  But I understand, Coach.  It's all about the process.  And the process has nothing to do with giving the other team credit for beating your ass for 60 minutes. 

- Mark Ingram.  McElroy may be the real leader of this team, but when you're the Heisman trophy winner, everyone on your team is watching you.  When you sprinted off the field without shaking anyone's hand, it definitely conveyed poor sportsmanship.  Maybe you needed to take a big dump.  I don't know.  But it definitely looked like you were being a crybaby bitch, and I promise that kind of behavior doesn't help turn around a football team. 

- Is McElroy committed to getting better?  I heard him call out his team after the game.  I hear he challenged them to either commit to making this team better or to leave.  That's good leadership, but there's an issue here.

- Even though McElroy had the best statistical game of his career, I feel like he greatly contributed to this loss.  He's played with a high level of arrogance his last 8 or 9 games.  He's made a lot of great plays.  He does it with a smile on his face.  He buys time in the pocket.  He scampers for a few extra yards.  And he acts like the biggest badass for doing it.  The rest of us realize that it's Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson making it happen.  The rest of us understand that it's Saban's defense that really shuts down the other team and gives McElroy the chance to make a few cute plays while saying, "I'm fine" with a smile on his face even though he just suffered a mild concussion (see Florida game last week). 

- McElroy has developed into a pretty good quarterback.  But like I've said, he's not all that great.  He missed a few open receivers early in the game, but his worst mistake was taking too many sacks.  He holds onto the ball hoping to make a play, and when you're solely in charge of winning a game, you have to be perfect.  Sometimes, you have to drop back, make your reads, and then throw the ball away.  McElwain put this game on McElroy's shoulders, and McElroy gave South Carolina a lot of momentum by taking those sacks. 

- And the real culprit was McElwain.  How do you not run Ingram and Richardson more than 17 times?  That's a horrible game plan.  But I really dislike McElroy, so I'll just pick on him. 

- Here's the kicker - it doesn't get easier from here.  Ole Miss is dangerous.  They still have a few talented guys on defense, and Masoli could be coming around at just the right time.  It will be interesting to see how Alabama responds against an opponent they may want to overlook. 

LSU...

- It looked so dumb.  I laughed a lot when it happened.  My wife said, "That was stupid!"  But it was genius. 

- That LSU kicker wasn't going to make a 54(ish) yard field goal in Gainesville to clinch the win against Florida.  Calling the fake and it working is genius.  It always is.  But only if it works

- Lucky Les gets it done again.  The Mad Hatter is the real River Boat Gambler. 

- Now, LSU gets to continue to get better on offense as McNeese St travels to Baton Rouge next week.  Just great.  LSU will now be a really tough game for Auburn in two weeks.

Florida...

- Is Urban Meyer ok?  I mean, can his heart handle that kind of an ending?

- Florida has a lot of work to do.  Their offense is horrible, and it's not going to be all that easy to get by an emerging Miss State team next week.

South Carolina...

- This team is the real deal.  Honestly, I'm surprised we beat them.  They have all the tools to run through the rest of their schedule and compete for the SEC title. 

- As long as Stephen Garcia continues to play well, this team really could be an NC contender.  A strong, tough defense with a solid running game and big play receivers.  What more do you need?

- I'd like to point out, once again, that we beat this team.  And honestly, besides a few mistakes that gave them great field position early in the game, we beat their ass.  But that's a bit homerish of me because the score was only 35-27 with Auburn earning 338 rushing yards. 

Ohio State...

- Yawn.  What's it like being an Ohio State fan?  It has to be boring. 

- New #1.  Whooossoavoagb. 

Oregon...

- You can't lose your quarterback and win...oh wait.  Maybe you can.  And he's a white guy that can run fast?  Is there something in the water up there? 

- I see Lache Seastrunk on the sideline every time I turn on an Oregon game.  Why isn't he at least returning punts or kicks or taking an end around?  The guy was a huge recruit with Olympic speed.  Is he a bust?  Did he get hurt?  Seriously, I'm asking. 

USC...

- You're right.  Lane Kiffin really did win that game.  The players lost it at the end.  He won't hurt your program at all.  Sanctions?  Please.  You eat sanctions for breakfast. 

Stanford...

- My buddy is getting his doctorate from Stanford.  Yesterday, he watched Alabama get beat.  Then he watched Auburn win.  Then he sprinted over to Stanford's stadium and watched USC put together an impressive drive to take the lead.  And then he watched Stanford drive down and kick the game winning field goal.  Then he rushed the field and slapped hands with Andrew Luck. 

- Not a bad day of football for him. 

Tennessee...

- Before everyone laughs at them, their roster is about 50% freshmen. 

Michigan...

- Michigan causes me to have nightmares.  They are very similar to us.  Not so strong defense.  A do-it-all quarterback with some surrounding talent.  When Michigan State shut down Denard Robinson, Michigan couldn't keep up.  Nightmares....

Boise State...

- You let Toledo get 14 points?  Damn.  That's horrible.  Who would ever vote you in the top 15?  Not me.

Final Thought...

- Expect anger this afternoon.  The rankings won't make sense.  How could they?  So many different people each with their own justifications and most of them probably didn't watch any football besides what they saw on Gameday Final. 

- How could one objectively rank each team when the season now looks a little like this:

1. Alabama lost to South Carolina who lost to Auburn.  But Alabama started #1 and we don't like to drop #1's too far down no matter what, so they probably won't drop out of the top 5.

2.  Auburn defeated South Carolina, who at the time was a top 12 team, who defeated the #1 team Alabama.  But Auburn is #8 right now, and no one else lost in the top 7 besides Alabama and we already know Alabama isn't dropping too far, so Alabama, who lost to South Carolina, who lost to Auburn, will still be ranked ahead of Auburn. 

3. LSU, who had to get extremely lucky to defeat Tennessee, who was blown out by Georgia, who was only 1-4 at the time, will still move up into the top ten because #9 Arizona lost and LSU will get credit for narrowly defeating #14 Florida, who has looked terrible all season. 

4.  Nebraska, who has played absolutely no one of note (Washington is BY FAR their toughest opponent), is getting NC type respect and will most likely remain ahead of Auburn despite Auburn facing some stiff competition.  Nebraska only beat South Dakota State 17-3.  People seem to be overlooking that.  And why not?  Nebraska looked great on Thursday night against Kansas State, who was technically undefeated. 

5.  Ohio State will move up to #1 despite having one quality win on their schedule against Miami, who was blown out by Florida State, who was blown out by Oklahoma.

6.  Since Oklahoma didn't play yesterday, no one cares, and no one will move them anywhere. 

- Angry yet? 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:03:42 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

Re: Thoughts - Week 6
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »
Lots of good stuff to digest there...

I have lots of thoughts, but this is the one I'll put out here...

This now sets up a scenario where the SEC Champ could be left on the outside looking in (And Auburn is in a prime spot to get screwed...again) when you consider that 4 teams in the 3 other BCS conferences are all undefeated, AND looking good enough to stay that way, at least until OU and Neb play at some point, plus the likes of TCU and Boise remaining undefeated, and that's a likely scenario.  Then Utah made some BCS Buster noise yesterday too, and Neb has an emerging Heisman hopeful, and looked good Thurs.  With bammer losing by 2 TDs, and not looking particularly good, it's possible Bammer could fall more than 5 slots.   Not likely, but possible...everybody saw that game yesterday and watched bammer get manhandled.

NOT predicting any of the above, and you can bet there'll be more upsets in the future...just sayin'.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »
We get a chance to see UCLA at Oregon this Thursday.

Saturday:
Ohio State has to travel to Madison to play some tough Badgers.
Nebraska rolls out the welcome mat to twice beaten Texas in Lincoln
and of course
Auburn plays host to the Razorback pass attack.

There just aren't many games to highlight this week.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »
In the post-game comments I heard from Saban on the radio, he said he and his coaching staff took full responsibility for not getting them ready.

Honestly, I think it is an all around fail. We were outcoached, outplayed, just flat out beat down from start to finish. That is everybody's fault, imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:46:32 AM »
If Bama doesn't drop more than five places, there is no justice whatsoever in college football. It ain't like a trap team they didn't prepare for slipped in a last second field goal for a one point victory. This was the Game Day game of the week against a ranked opponent and they manhandled them in every facet of the game.

Auburn ahead of SC, ahead of Bama. Anything else would fly in the face of logic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
In the post-game comments I heard from Saban on the radio, he said he and his coaching staff took full responsibility for not getting them ready.

Honestly, I think it is an all around fail. We were outcoached, outplayed, just flat out beat down from start to finish. That is everybody's fault, imo.

Coach speak, nothing more.  The players will pay for the coaching fuck up this week, bank on that.  A fellow coach on my youth team who is a typical bammer though a pretty decent youth coach, said to him bammer looked tired...tired legs.  I didn't see that, but I didn't see a team mentally ready to play a team that was willing to stand toe to toe with them and suffer the beating it would take to win.  Like someone said, USCe beat bammer at their own power game. Bammer would have beaten any of the teams outside the top 10 yesterday, other than USCe.  Whats so bad for bammer now, is they're like the old pride Alpha Male lion, that has been somewhat challenged but not really, that just got injured on a hunt.  If you thought bammer was getting everybody's best game before yesterday, you aint seen shit yet.   Just like coaches seem to burn out at around 10 years...the grind is tough, TOUGH...this bammer team has a ring and just lost and has 2 more current top 10 teams left on the schedule...will this team pick itself up or will they coast out the remainder.  It's hard enough to keep a satiated team hungry...wonder how hard it will be now, or will the loss re-energize them?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 10:52:22 AM »
If Bama doesn't drop more than five places, there is no justice whatsoever in college football. It ain't like a trap team they didn't prepare for slipped in a last second field goal for a one point victory. This was the Game Day game of the week against a ranked opponent and they manhandled them in every facet of the game.

Auburn ahead of SC, ahead of Bama. Anything else would fly in the face of logic.

:wartim:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
:wartim:
The fuck?

No part of me can see any justification to think otherwise.

Please, try to justify it. I could use a laugh.

By the way, speaking of the infallible coaching abilities of Lord Saban, what the fuck was up with faking a field goal on 4th and fucking 11? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't try that on X-box.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 11:16:51 AM »
By the way, speaking of the infallible coaching abilities of Lord Saban, what the fuck was up with faking a field goal on 4th and fucking 11? Are you kidding me? I wouldn't try that on X-box.

That was totally uncharacteristic of Saban.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »
Yesterday was fake field goal day in the SEC. Didn't yall get the memo?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
The fuck?

No part of me can see any justification to think otherwise.

Please, try to justify it. I could use a laugh.

It can't be justified, which was the whole point in my  :wartim: response.  It's bammer and the polsters...they ain't dropping bammer as far as you're claiming they should. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »

Said a lot about where he thought they were in that game, and where he thinks this team is as a whole JMHO.

I thought when I saw it yesterday that he did that out of desparation, or thinking that bammer is SO good I can make this fucked up call and we'll pull this outta our asses even doing stupid XBox shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 11:29:27 AM »
It can't be justified, which was the whole point in my  :wartim: response.  It's bammer and the polsters...they ain't dropping bammer as far as you're claiming they should.

And to add - Gameday Final last night (maybe it was Kirk and Brent) discussed where Alabama would fall to, and they mentioned Bama only falling to 3 or 4 and maybe falling all the way to 5.  That's what I was thinking about when I made my post. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 11:30:21 AM »

Sarcasm? 

It was weird for Saban to do that, but he has a history.  See dumbass fake punt call in the BCSCG. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 11:32:04 AM »
BTW, if y'all think this isn't a crazy season...going in to yesterday there we're 16 unbeaten teams.  Same time last year, there were 12.  For you non math majors, that's 33% more this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 11:34:13 AM »
And to add - Gameday Final last night (maybe it was Kirk and Brent) discussed where Alabama would fall to, and they mentioned Bama only falling to 3 or 4 and maybe falling all the way to 5.  That's what I was thinking about when I made my post.

That's the whole debate on ESPN today.  It's a question of how many TCU/Boise lovers are voting IMO.  Plus what will they now do with LSU at 6-0, and Nebraska after looking very strong Thurs.  It is primed for a REAL shakeup if the pollsters are nutsy enough.  Mich. State is for real too. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
Sarcasm? 

It was weird for Saban to do that, but he has a history.  See dumbass fake punt call in the BCSCG.

No sarcasm. With the exception of one here and there, Saban typically doesn't make calls like that. I don't that is a part of his "process". I agree with JR, that kind told me that Saban was out of sync and ready to push the panic button.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »

Well yes and that was what I attempted to convey from the start of the game. Dr. Lou reiterated it later on. Alabama's calling card is its run game, mixed with play action, a tad of wildcat, Julio on some out patterns the TE drags and a long ball or two for good measure. When Nick did an about face putting the game in McElroy's hands, it actually pumped-up the South Carolina defense, because they were expecting to take it in the mouth and stay out on the field until their tongues were dragging. But Saban chose not to break their will.

McElroy, for as good a field general as he is IMO is out of his element as a gunslinger. He manages, and he is very adepth at it, perhaps better than anyone, because I think that Hanks and Maze are just above average although they both block well downfield.

As for the defense, it would be easy to just  to just slough it off and say they are young and inexperienced which they are but the way the game unfolded was a telltale sign of what was to come.
We often see two distinctly different halves in a game but Spurrier knew he had you guessing and had to keep the hammer down of he was going to lose it as evidenced by the failed first possession of the second half.
Still, what we would normally expect with so much time left is Bama grinding it with a controlled short passing game however the South Carolina D was rested and the Bama offensive line looked ordinary and Greg is rattled in spite of having to hear Gary Danielson repeatedly say otherwise.
He held the ball too long and the sacks just worsened the field position.

I thought Bama would have adjusted better at the half, show more patience and  pull this one out based on the offensive line pummeling a good South Carolina defensive line with Mark and Trent. They had not failed before as a group and yet the plan never really changed. Alabama beats them seven times out of ten, just not yesterday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »
BTW, if y'all think this isn't a crazy season...going in to yesterday there we're 16 unbeaten teams.  Same time last year, there were 12.  For you non math majors, that's 33% more this year.
  :vn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »
Well surprise surprise.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/10/auburn_moves_up_to_no_7_in_the.html

Someone can make this a new thread if they like.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions