Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 6

jmar

Re: Thoughts - Week 6
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
I kept hearing the word dominating when describing Alabama all week long. How far did the great Texas fall after it's first embarrassment? Even Phillip Fulmer wouldn't guess but 5th of 6th for Alabama. How far did Florida fall after the Bama loss?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
Well yes and that was what I attempted to convey from the start of the game. Dr. Lou reiterated it later on. Alabama's calling card is its run game, mixed with play action, a tad of wildcat, Julio on some out patterns the TE drags and a long ball or two for good measure. When Nick did an about face putting the game in McElroy's hands, it actually pumped-up the South Carolina defense, because they were expecting to take it in the mouth and stay out on the field until their tongues were dragging. But Saban chose not to break their will.

McElroy, for as good a field general as he is IMO is out of his element as a gunslinger. He manages, and he is very adepth at it, perhaps better than anyone, because I think that Hanks and Maze are just above average although they both block well downfield.

As for the defense, it would be easy to just  to just slough it off and say they are young and inexperienced which they are but the way the game unfolded was a telltale sign of what was to come.
We often see two distinctly different halves in a game but Spurrier knew he had you guessing and had to keep the hammer down of he was going to lose it as evidenced by the failed first possession of the second half.
Still, what we would normally expect with so much time left is Bama grinding it with a controlled short passing game however the South Carolina D was rested and the Bama offensive line looked ordinary and Greg is rattled in spite of having to hear Gary Danielson repeatedly say otherwise.
He held the ball too long and the sacks just worsened the field position.

I thought Bama would have adjusted better at the half, show more patience and  pull this one out based on the offensive line pummeling a good South Carolina defensive line with Mark and Trent. They had not failed before as a group and yet the plan never really changed. Alabama beats them seven times out of ten, just not yesterday.
Well, when SC got up pretty big, and you can see they're not going to let off the gas, you kind of have to put it in your QB's hands and start making some throws. The problem? We don't really stretch the field. If we pass it, it's going to be a screen, drag Julio or a TE across the middle, or something like that. McElroy whiffed on reading some wide open guys on post and go routes yesterday. I mean wide-the-fuck-open guys.

Bottom line: outcoached, and outplayed in every way possible. I can explain a million different things that went wrong, but that is the best way to sum it up. We got punked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 01:48:49 PM »
Well surprise surprise.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/10/auburn_moves_up_to_no_7_in_the.html

Someone can make this a new thread if they like.

Color me completely shocked.  I honestly thought Alabama would be sitting at #4 or #5, just based on all the media love.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 01:53:36 PM »
Color me completely shocked.  I honestly thought Alabama would be sitting at #4 or #5, just based on all the media love.

I'm right there with you. I was thinking #6 at absolute worse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I'm right there with you. I was thinking #6 at absolute worse.

Not completely shocked, but from the whole big picture deal, I don't think the pollsters had much choice if they wanted it to have any validity at all. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »
Not completely shocked, but from the whole big picture deal, I don't think the pollsters had much choice if they wanted it to have any validity at all.

True that, but with the massive hand jobs going with the media and bama, I just didn't this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 02:59:54 PM »
True that, but with the massive hand jobs going with the media and bama, I just didn't this.
Florida dropped 7 places after we stomped them, so I think Alabama's drop to 8 is appropriate. Wouldn't have shocked me to see us go 9 or 10, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

djsimp

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
Florida dropped 7 places after we stomped them, so I think Alabama's drop to 8 is appropriate. Wouldn't have shocked me to see us go 9 or 10, though.

What I am wondering is if they were gonna drop bama, why not two more spots right behind SC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »
What I am wondering is if they were gonna drop bama, why not two more spots right behind SC.

6 to 8 spots is normal if you get beat, not lose on a fluke or whatver.  Sometime a couple more if it's a home loss, a couple less if it's a close road loss.  This was a sure nuff loss for bammer, and not a close one.  Pollsters got it about as right as they could.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »
We went from the top one loss team in the country to the 3rd place one loss team in the SEC while winning our game.
At this point in time, I feel like the rankings are pretty fair as per the SEC teams.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »
We went from the top one loss team in the country to the 3rd place one loss team in the SEC while winning our game.
At this point in time, I feel like the rankings are pretty fair as per the SEC teams.

Yeah, Arkansas actually dropped in the polls. Weird
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »
6 to 8 spots is normal if you get beat, not lose on a fluke or whatver.  Sometime a couple more if it's a home loss, a couple less if it's a close road loss.  This was a sure nuff loss for bammer, and not a close one.  Pollsters got it about as right as they could.   
If we lose to OM, we will probably be close to #20. If it happens, they should just go ahead and take us out of the poll.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
If we lose to OM, we will probably be close to #20. If it happens, they should just go ahead and take us out of the poll.

No way bama loses to Ole Piss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 03:22:18 PM »
Yeah, Arkansas actually dropped in the polls. Weird
I was hoping both of our teams would be ranked in the top 10 this week to help us get the CBS game. We got the broadcast anyways, so no matter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 03:23:27 PM »
I'm surprised. 

Still upset that South Carolina is technically considered inferior to Alabama. 

Like someone said earlier and referring back to my post from a few days ago -

We could be on the outside looking in.  You know how these polls go.  The more SEC teams lose, the less likely we are to impress voters by running the table. 

Long way to go before we can worry about that, but I have an uneasy feeling concerning the BCS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »
No way bama loses to Ole Piss.
I don't think so either. I agree with JR, though; it will all depend on whether the team decides to pick themselves up and be pissed off, or mail it in for the rest of the season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
I don't think so either. I agree with JR, though; it will all depend on whether the team decides to pick themselves up and be pissed off, or mail it in for the rest of the season.
Bama by at least three TDs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
Seeing someone call another poster out with a " :wartim:" emoticon for saying one thing, saying why he's worth the " :wartim:", and then doing a total flip flop and justifying what the " :wartim:" poster was saying, is something I've seen before...

Can't seem to put my finger on who was infamous for that kind of flim flam opinionating...hmmm....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 06:47:15 PM »
Seeing someone call another poster out with a " :wartim:" emoticon for saying one thing, saying why he's worth the " :wartim:", and then doing a total flip flop and justifying what the " :wartim:" poster was saying, is something I've seen before...

Can't seem to put my finger on who was infamous for that kind of flim flam opinionating...hmmm....
I'm recently feeling like the board is being haunted by a ghost of a poster I thought we'd gotten rid of. A GalensGhost, if you will.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:48:16 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
I'm recently feeling like the board is being haunted by a ghost of a poster I thought we'd gotten rid of. A GalensGhost, if you will.
I thought Galen left on his own accord. Was he banished?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions