No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Does Florida Suck this Bad?
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2010, 02:24:55 PM »
Well that settles it...a sports writer said so.

Nope.  But I'd say someone who covers Florida on a daily basis has a pretty good idea.  Better than anyone on an Auburn board.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
Nope.  But I'd say someone who covers Florida on a daily basis has a pretty good idea.  Better than anyone on an Auburn board.

I'm not the one that declared Urban Meyer's playbook unchanged here.  I asked IF Brantley was running as much.  His 20 rushing attempts on the season say he's not running quite as often as Tebow did.   SOMETHING has changed.  I think I can safely stand on that assertion, and not need a sports writer's input to confirm it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »
Hey Snaggle, JR called you a pussy.  :pot:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »
And, the option is an integral part of what Meyer does offensively...you won't ever see it disappear from his offense.  Not in the near future anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »
Hey Snaggle, JR called you a pussy.  :pot:

So did my wife, but let's leave her out of this.

I'd say Meyer probably hasn't changed a thing to accomodate Brantley.  Chris Leak ran a total of 77 times for 30 yards in 96'.  They won the MNC that year but had quite a few more weapons than the current edition of the Gayters and I think that's the argument.  Without a potent running game and QB far better suited to drop back passing than running the option, Meyer should rethink his offense to an extent and play to his strengths more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »

Just to put an end to my little  :poke: fest...I'd say Meyer's playbook is most likely largely unchanged, though he did some passing game consulting in the off season.  Fans bitching about his playbook won't change that either.  Meyer does what he does, and he won't quit anytime soon. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »
And, here's proof...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Headlinin-John-Brantley-s-OK-folks-and-he-s-?urn=ncaaf-274942

Wed Oct 06 04:54am PDT
Headlinin': John Brantley's OK, folks, and he's going to keep running

By Matt Hinton

Making the morning rounds.

• Appetite for destruction. Florida quarterback John Brantley is "a little sore" after taking a beating in last Saturday's 31-6 snuff film at Alabama, but Tuesday's rumors of a serious rib injury were greatly exaggerated. Brantley expects to play this weekend against LSU – and to continue running the same conservative spread option attack that has Gator fans tied in knots, according to offensive coordinator Steve Addazio: "[The option] is a part of who we are and that won't change," Addazio said Tuesday. "The element is there and that element will always be there." Even if it gets our big, slow, classic pocket passer killed in the process. We're not changing centers, either. Deal. [Orlando Sentinel, Gainesville Sun]
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 02:55:46 PM »
And, here's proof...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Headlinin-John-Brantley-s-OK-folks-and-he-s-?urn=ncaaf-274942
Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't this support exactly what you ridiculed me for saying?

-They're going to continue running the spread option.
-"Even if it gets our big, slow, classic pocket passer killed in the process."

How is this not exactly what I said to begin with?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't this support exactly what you ridiculed me for saying?

-They're going to continue running the spread option.
-"Even if it gets our big, slow, classic pocket passer killed in the process."

How is this not exactly what I said to begin with?

You missed my  :poke: son.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
" Even if it gets our big, slow, classic pocket passer killed in the process."

I know this was said tongue-in-cheek, but probably not a wise remark.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2010, 02:58:59 PM »
I believe that was from the Orlando Sentinel writer, not a direct quote from Addazio. I had to reread as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »

Eh...just a coach stating that they're going to continue to dance with the one that brung them.  Coaches don't overahaul their schemes to suit fan's whims.  They tweak them to suite talent, but never get away from what it is they know how to do and coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »
I believe that was from the Orlando Sentinel writer, not a direct quote from Addazio. I had to reread as well.
Yeah see that now, the quotes actually stop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2010, 03:02:24 PM »
Yeah see that now, the quotes actually stop.

Yes, it was the OS's editorial comments on Addazio telling them that they were doing what they do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »
Yes, it was the OS's editorial comments on Addazio telling them that they were doing what they do.

They can't do what they do.  Only we can do what we do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »
It's really a good example of what Aubie 16 said the other day about Leach's, Franklin's (and his protege Neal Brown), and Dana Holgerson's systems being "totally different.   They're the same offense, being called by different play callers with different talent sets.  It's Meyer's offense, being run by Addazzio instead of Mullen (who helped Meyer create it), and without Tebow.  It aint working quite as well as it has in the recent past, but they're not going to abandon it because the fans think they should. 

Meyer's passing game has never been regarded as especially ingenious.  He had Leach in during the off-season to consult n the passing game, and I've seen them run a few plays that look familiar to Leach's offense, but can't honestly say they didn't have them in the playbook already.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »
It's really a good example of what Aubie 16 said the other day about Leach's, Franklin's (and his protege Neal Brown), and Dana Holgerson's systems being "totally different.   They're the same offense, being called by different play callers with different talent sets.  It's Meyer's offense, being run by Addazzio instead of Mullen (who helped Meyer create it), and without Tebow.  It aint working quite as well as it has in the recent past, but they're not going to abandon it because the fans think they should. 

Meyer's passing game has never been regarded as especially ingenious.  He had Leach in during the off-season to consult n the passing game, and I've seen them run a few plays that look familiar to Leach's offense, but can't honestly say they didn't have them in the playbook already.

Personally, I think this is my problem with the spread offense.  It relies to much on the QB, from making appropriate reads, to running, to passing, to the option.  If you have the QB that can handle it you look like an offensive genius, if you don't well you might score 6 points.  This is my problem with us having it, your coordinators better do a bang up job at finding "REAL" talent to run the system.  Because there are a lot more Kodi Burns, Jordan Jefferson's, and Tyrik Rollison's out there than the Tebow's and Newton's.

The spread can be exciting to watch, but to be honest, personally, I prefer the pro-style type offense where you ask your QB to manage a game, make the throws when needed and put a hat on hat.  To me it is sure as hell a lot easier to fill in a QB for that then the spread, but then again what do I know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2010, 03:51:51 PM »
Personally, I think this is my problem with the spread offense.  It relies to much on the QB, from making appropriate reads, to running, to passing, to the option.  If you have the QB that can handle it you look like an offensive genius, if you don't well you might score 6 points.  This is my problem with us having it, your coordinators better do a bang up job at finding "REAL" talent to run the system.  Because there are a lot more Kodi Burns, Jordan Jefferson's, and Tyrik Rollison's out there than the Tebow's and Newton's.

The spread can be exciting to watch, but to be honest, personally, I prefer the pro-style type offense where you ask your QB to manage a game, make the throws when needed and put a hat on hat.  To me it is sure as hell a lot easier to fill in a QB for that then the spread, but then again what do I know.

Florida's and Auburn's offenses, if you looked at them on paper, wouldn't look much different.  But Meyer approaches the game differently.  Clearly, like last year with Todd, our offensive coordinator's mindset is a bit more flexible in having a pro-style QB.  Personally, I think EVERY coach would love to have a run threat QB, even those that don't use it as part of their offense.  I do understand your issues, but it would be my assertion that it's easier to find an Athlete that can play QB competently and help with his athletic ability, than it is to find a pure pro-style QB that can be coached to do the things you want him to do properly.  Obviously the Tebows and Cams (not putting Cam on Tebow's level...yet) of the world are few and far between, as are the Peyton Mannings of the world.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions