Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban

Birmingham

Re: Slow Day: Sporting News Interviews Saban
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2010, 06:40:05 PM »
Bammer Kool-Aide is a powerful drug.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=LwH&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22bear+bryant%22&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 231,000 results (half of which are from rollbamaroll and bleacherreport)

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=%22bear+bryant%22+icon&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=abb01c78b666a2d
About 436,000 results.

I'd say Bo is roughly twice as popular as the Bahr outside of the bammer bubble.

So Bo's more "Iconic" because there are more google pages when typing his name?  

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=uBI&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22william+hung%22&aq=f&aqi=g3g-c1g3g-c1g2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 533,000 results

So William Hung is more iconic than the Bear and Bo?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:15:09 PM by Birmingham »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »
You can not be serious.  There's no possible way more people would think Bo Jackson, regardless of his college and pro careers, is more iconic than Bear Bryant.  No possible way and it's not even close.

It will depend on your sample.

Hard core college football fans over the age of 30, they know Bahr.

Hard core college football fans under the age of 30, they know Bahr....as some sort of hazy historical figure.  Call him the Knute Rockne of the kids.

Outside of hard core college football fans, you're going to find an ever dwindling population of people who know much at all about Bahr.

Like it or not, Bo was one of the first superstar athletes (by "superstar athlete" I mean athletes with the Nike marketing machine behind them).  Many more people know Bo than do Bahr.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Token

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
The Arky depth chart as it existed upon Petrino's arrival would make you vomit.

Petrino's been busy filling holes instead of chasing starz.

Bullshit.  MAYBE the depth chart would make one vomit, but he has still signed 27 skill position players in his first two classes.  Saban AND Chizik both had to fill depth charts that would make one vomit when taking their jobs and they were BOTH able to do so while signing top recruits. 

I realize you are an Arkansas apologists, but Petrino isn't doing any better than Nutt did on the recruiting trail.  And he's done worse on the field. 

Nutt wasn't/isn't a bad coach.  Maybe he isn't the best, but he damn sure has more to show for than any coach walking the sidelines at Arkansas since they stepped into the big boy league.  Petrino included.  I don't see him winning 7 SEC games this fall, so after his 3rd season, he's still most likely going to be below 50% in conference. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
Going by AUChizad's method, these people are also more "iconic" than Bear Bryant and Bo Jackson...

Joe Namath
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=uHJ&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22joe+namath%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 521,000 results

Nick Saban
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=SJJ&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22nick+saban%22&aq=f&aqi=g6g-s1g3&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 478,000 results

Lane Kiffin
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=pKJ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&&sa=X&ei=CEElTJ-CJYWglAfn56nIAw&ved=0CCkQBSgA&q=%22lane+kiffin%22&spell=1
About 557,000 results

Alexi Lalas (yes, a US soccer player from the 90's is apparently more iconic than Bear Bryant and Bo Jackson
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=0iy&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22alexi+lalas%22&aq=f&aqi=g2g-c1g7&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 467,000 results

Ba Ba Booey
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=j7d&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22ba+ba+booey%22&aq=f&aqi=g9&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 670,000 results

Al Davis
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ruy&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22al+davis%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 458,000 results

New Kids on the Block
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=hFe&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22new+kids+on+the+block%22&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 2,410,000 results

Gossip columnist Perez Hilton
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=KcJ&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=%22Perez+hilton%22&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
About 6,970,000 results
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2010, 08:32:37 PM »
Bullshit.  MAYBE the depth chart would make one vomit, but he has still signed 27 skill position players in his first two classes.  Saban AND Chizik both had to fill depth charts that would make one vomit when taking their jobs and they were BOTH able to do so while signing top recruits. 

I realize you are an Arkansas apologists, but Petrino isn't doing any better than Nutt did on the recruiting trail.  And he's done worse on the field. 

Nutt wasn't/isn't a bad coach.  Maybe he isn't the best, but he damn sure has more to show for than any coach walking the sidelines at Arkansas since they stepped into the big boy league.  Petrino included.  I don't see him winning 7 SEC games this fall, so after his 3rd season, he's still most likely going to be below 50% in conference. 

Maybe yall can hire Nutt when Saban leaves Bama. I'd like to see yall have him. He was recruited by the Bahr out of high school.
I would jack off two times a day, every day if yall hired him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
Well, there ya go.  End of discussion.

I can't look at Nutt's numbers and call him anything better than mediocre on his finest day.
What we are trying to say is, our mediocre = Arkansas' best. Nobody is saying that Nutt should get a coach of the millenium award. Relative to Arkansas' standards, that's about as good as it gets. It's the same type of argument some made for Chizik and ISU. Of course if you took those numbers and plugged them in to UF, UA, AU, etc, he would be on the hot seat. If Petrino was THAT good of a coach, he would make do. As Token noted, Saban and Chizik both had to do it. Chizik was doing it with a few walk-ons as starters. Saban had a 5 man LB corps to work with, with I think one or two of those guys being converted from some other position, for example. While things were a little rocky in 07 for Saban, I think everybody can agree he made it work.....quick. Petrino isn't showing anything worth noting. I still would like my previous question to boartitz answered; what pieces of the puzzle does Arky have now that they haven't had the past 2 seasons that is all of a sudden going to make them competitive this season?

And Arkansas doesn't have a monopoly on shit in-state. They might have some nice facilities and stuff, but seriously, is a highly talented in-state star going to go to Oklahoma, or Arkansas? Texas, or Arkansas? There are many border states who absolutely rape them of any talent they might have. Nobody wants to live in Arkansas.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:45:09 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Birmingham

« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2010, 08:41:11 PM »
Wes, I'm not trying to take anything away from Bo, my God the guy was the best.  That doesn't come off as "iconic" though.  We talked about this a couple years ago how Auburn really doesn't have a "face" of the program.  I think you can be as physically great as Bo Jackson was, and as marketed as Jackson was and not be labeled an icon.  

This is obviously only my opinion and I'm sure that I bring with it a bias.   Bo very well may be more popular nationally, as in people know who he is, but people knowing who a person is doesn't then mean he's  an icon.  There's a lot of people who are more popular than Bo Jackson or Paul Brant that in no way are remotely considered to be icons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
Forget about all the nutt/arky shit. It's in the passed.BMFP is gonna carry us to places we ain't been. Deal wif it.
May be this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »
What we are trying to say is, our mediocre = Arkansas' best. Nobody is saying that Nutt should get a coach of the millenium award. Relative to Arkansas' standards, that's about as good as it gets. It's the same type of argument some made for Chizik and ISU. Of course if you took those numbers and plugged them in to UF, UA, AU, etc, he would be on the hot seat. If Petrino was THAT good of a coach, he would make do. As Token noted, Saban and Chizik both had to do it. Chizik was doing it with a few walk-ons as starters. Saban had a 5 man LB corps to work with, with I think one or two of those guys being converted from some other position, for example. While things were a little rocky in 07 for Saban, I think everybody can agree he made it work.....quick. Petrino isn't showing anything worth noting. I still would like my previous question to boartitz answered; what pieces of the puzzle does Arky have now that they haven't had the past 2 seasons that is all of a sudden going to make them competitive this season?

And Arkansas doesn't have a monopoly on shit in-state. They might have some nice facilities and stuff, but seriously, is a highly talented in-state star going to go to Oklahoma, or Arkansas? Texas, or Arkansas? There are many border states who absolutely rape them of any talent they might have. Nobody wants to live in Arkansas.
Nutt was 5-5 against Bammer. Seems like our mediocre equals what yall had. Keep your ass out of Arkansas. We damn sure don't need you living here. Stereotypes and shit. Mostly from transient types.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2010, 10:01:08 PM »
This is gonna be a fun season for us. We're going after Saban this year.
Diss Petrino all yall want. What's yall's record against him? Or Saban? An enemy of my enemy is my friend.
How in the fuck can you Auburn hands classify us as mediocre when you have never beaten us during the current regime without denigrating your own school's system?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
You can not be serious.  There's no possible way more people would think Bo Jackson, regardless of his college and pro careers, is more iconic than Bear Bryant.  No possible way and it's not even close.

Yeah...I am going to have to disagree with you there. Big time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2010, 11:15:03 PM »
Now Bob Jackson who is this guy? Is he related to Michael Jackson? Bahr Brent didn't he set off the earthquake in LSU because of a slam dunk or something?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

RWS

« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
This is gonna be a fun season for us. We're going after Saban this year.
Diss Petrino all yall want. What's yall's record against him? Or Saban? An enemy of my enemy is my friend.
How in the fuck can you Auburn hands classify us as mediocre when you have never beaten us during the current regime without denigrating your own school's system?
Again, I ask just what Arky has this season that it didn't have the past two when Alabama beat their brains in? What magical missing piece of the puzzle do you guys now possess? What does Arky have now that is going to reverse this trend all of a sudden? Saban has Petrino figured out, bottom line. You guys have one hell of a QB, and still get destroyed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

boartitz

« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2010, 10:08:39 AM »
Again, I ask just what Arky has this season that it didn't have the past two when Alabama beat their brains in? What magical missing piece of the puzzle do you guys now possess? What does Arky have now that is going to reverse this trend all of a sudden? Saban has Petrino figured out, bottom line. You guys have one hell of a QB, and still get destroyed.
More experience. Better depth. More guys that Petrino recruited to fill in the holes left by Nutt.
I think last year's NC team was the only one that destroyed us last year. We will put a much improved product on the field this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »
Wes, I'm not trying to take anything away from Bo, my God the guy was the best.  That doesn't come off as "iconic" though.  We talked about this a couple years ago how Auburn really doesn't have a "face" of the program.  I think you can be as physically great as Bo Jackson was, and as marketed as Jackson was and not be labeled an icon.  

This is obviously only my opinion and I'm sure that I bring with it a bias.   Bo very well may be more popular nationally, as in people know who he is, but people knowing who a person is doesn't then mean he's  an icon.  There's a lot of people who are more popular than Bo Jackson or Paul Brant that in no way are remotely considered to be icons.
This sounds like someone trying to convince himself that the duck in front of him is actually a lion, even though it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
This sounds like someone trying to convince himself that the duck in front of him is actually a lion, even though it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

We agree then.  I believe we both think Bo Jackson clearly looks like a duck.  Wait, what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2010, 02:31:50 PM »
More experience. Better depth. More guys that Petrino recruited to fill in the holes left by Nutt.
I think last year's NC team was the only one that destroyed us last year. We will put a much improved product on the field this year.
I'm only speaking in the context of Arkansas vs. Alabama. You know, you're only going to be able to blame Nutt for so long. This season is pretty much it, as it will be Petrino's third season. Like I said before, Saban simply has Petrino figured out. At least when Nutt was there,  you knew it would be a win or at least close.

Keep whistling past the graveyard, titz. I don't mind Alabama beating the shit out of you guys the next few seasons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
If you think Houston Nutt is half the coach that Bobby Petrino is, I'll take a kilo of what you're smoking.
Saban had it figured out the last two games that we didn't have the manpower on the field to stay with yall.
Houston Nutt left our team depleted, especially on defense. He knew when to get the hell out and leave that mess to someone else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2010, 06:10:58 PM »
If you think Houston Nutt is half the coach that Bobby Petrino is, I'll take a kilo of what you're smoking.
Saban had it figured out the last two games that we didn't have the manpower on the field to stay with yall.
Houston Nutt left our team depleted, especially on defense. He knew when to get the hell out and leave that mess to someone else.
Please don't tell me that all Arkansas fans are as oblivious as you. For being such a sorry coach, Nutt seems to be doing ok at Ole Miss. Orgeron may have been a good recruiter, but don't tell me he left that program in good shape.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »
Please don't tell me that all Arkansas fans are as oblivious as you. For being such a sorry coach, Nutt seems to be doing ok at Ole Miss. Orgeron may have been a good recruiter, but don't tell me he left that program in good shape.
Not all Arkansas fans think like me on the subject.
The real idiot Nutt hugger fans share your point of view.
Sit back and watch our program vs Ole Miss's program for the next couple of years. That will give both coaches time to get THEIR teams in place. Then see who you would rather have as a coach.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions