Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Coach Chizik's speech at the L'Arche Football Preview in Mobile....

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Chizik preaches responsibility at L'Arche dinner
By Mike Herndon
May 28, 2010, 12:53PM
Associated Press

Chizik: Your background is not an excuse for failure.

Auburn coach Gene Chizik had a lot on his mind when he stopped in Mobile on Thursday for the L'Arche Football Preview, but very little of it had to do with how the Tigers look heading into the fall.

Maybe it was the weeks of evaluating players and drilling them on the details while working through spring drills, or maybe it was the gravity of the cause he was supporting in speaking at the event - which benefits mentally handicapped people - but Chizik was in a big-picture kind of mood.

He talked about finding ways to make a difference in the world. He talked about the importance of courtesy and accepting the responsibility of being a role model. And he talked about not allowing your background to be an excuse for failure.

Some excerpts from his speech:

"We understand football's king. We understand if we don't win we're out of a job. I've been doing this 25 years. Back when I was a young coach and I knew I was going to be a head coach - because I've always had confidence in exactly where I was going, and my goal was to be a head coach - my goal was always be the best at my trade. If I was a linebacker coach, I wanted to be the best linebacker coach. If I was a defensive coordinator, I wanted to be the best in the country. When you're young and ambitious and full of passion and energy and you're trying to achieve the goals you want to achieve, sometimes you get lost in what really, at the end of the day, matters. ...

"What we try to talk to our players about is, knowing when you get up every day you've got a chance to make a difference. You might have to change the way you think. One of the first meetings I had, I said, 'Let me tell you something, I left Auburn in 2004 and we were undefeated. I come back five years later and it ain't the same. So y'all are going to have to change the way you think."

"When they come out of high school and they're being recruited, it's all about, 'Look at me.' And they get here and we have to de-recruit them, because they think that they're it. They think it's all about them. ... I don't subscribe to the Look at Me Theory. There's nothing I like about it. So we talk to our guys about making a difference.

"What they have to understand in that locker room is that it's a huge responsibility ... because whether they like it or not, everybody's looking at them. I'll tell the guys: 'Pull your pants up. Why do you have your pants pulled halfway down your butt? Pull your pants up. I've got a 12-year-old daughter walking around. She doesn't want to see the crack of your butt.' They sit there and they go, 'Coach, you make us take our hats off and yes, sir, no, sir, all this stuff,' - yeah, you're dadgum right, because it doesn't cost you a thing. Not one thing.

"You go in the cafeteria and eat and you expect that girl in the cafeteria making $8.50 an hour or less to go pick up your tray? I don't think so. If somebody gives you your food when you go through the drive-thru window, as you snatch the bag, what's hard to say, 'Thank you, I appreciate that?' It doesn't cost you a thing. You don't have to run one lap. You don't have to bench one ounce of weight."

"Those things are really important. Do you know why they're important to me? Because if we're going to change what's happening here - we live in the greatest country in the world, but how much better would it be right now if everybody right now said I'm going to make a difference? I'm going to find a way to change it. ...

"I grew up middle class, white, my parents loved me. So I might not necessarily relate to what your circumstances were. I hear them and understand them, but that's not an excuse for you to fail. Don't come in here and say, 'Well, you know, that's just kind of the way I was brought up.' No. If you're in a bad way right now, it's because of the choices you made in response to your circumstances. So change your choices."

Being a rude jackass is no way to go about your life...maybe Coach little bitch would sit in on one of Coach Chizik's speeches, he might learn something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
"When they come out of high school and they're being recruited, it's all about, 'Look at me.' And they get here and we have to de-recruit them, because they think that they're it. They think it's all about them. ... I don't subscribe to the Look at Me Theory. There's nothing I like about it. So we talk to our guys about making a difference.
Really? Seriously? After an RV sporting a bigass picture of your face on the back was driving around the state a month ago? Why wouldn't recruits think they're it when your staff does things like BCW, etc, where everything including the kitchen sink is thrown at them recruiting-wise? I'm fine with all the other stuff, I just think that paragraph was one huge pile of bullshit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:08:18 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Really? Seriously? After an RV sporting a bigass picture of your face on the back was driving around the state a month ago? Why wouldn't recruits think they're it when your staff does things like BCW, etc, where everything including the kitchen sink is thrown at them recruiting-wise? I'm fine with all the other stuff, I just think that paragraph was one huge pile of bullshit.
Uh...The Tiger Prowl is all about promoting the University, this includes all visual promotions (RV, Billboards, etc.).  There's nothing about the promotions that says "look at this one player....LOOK AT HIM!!!!!"  It's look at the Auburn team...The Family, come be a part of the Family and feel the love/the bond that only the family can give you.  Big Cat Weekend....It's ALL about the Family, the closeness that prospects feel when they're around other Auburn players and coaches, building that lasting relationship that is so critical in recruiting and building that relationship with the prospect's parents.  BCW is ALL about togetherness.

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing about BCW that says "look at me, I'm a 6 Grill, can't miss, prospect...worship me like that midget in East Mississippi."  Have you even took the time to read all of the quotes coming from the prospects that were at last year's BCW and this year's?  Show me and everyone else here where any of the prospects talk about being singled out, had the spotlight put on them and only them.  You can't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

Uh...The Tiger Prowl is all about promoting the University, this includes all visual promotions (RV, Billboards, etc.).  There's nothing about the promotions that says "look at this one player....LOOK AT HIM!!!!!"  It's look at the Auburn team...The Family, come be a part of the Family and feel the love/the bond that only the family can give you.  Big Cat Weekend....It's ALL about the Family, the closeness that prospects feel when they're around other Auburn players and coaches, building that lasting relationship that is so critical in recruiting and building that relationship with the prospect's parents.  BCW is ALL about togetherness.

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing about BCW that says "look at me, I'm a 6 Grill, can't miss, prospect...worship me like that midget in East Mississippi."  Have you even took the time to read all of the quotes coming from the prospects that were at last year's BCW and this year's?  Show me and everyone else here where any of the prospects talk about being singled out, had the spotlight put on them and only them.  You can't.
Prowler, seriously? I think you need to go clean up. I mean, if Gene Chizik's penis were within 5 square miles of you right now, I think you would totally double down it.

With the BCW, the "singling out" part comes from selecting only certain recruits to come. The "Big Cats". From an interview about BCW from Curtis Luper:

"There is some name recognition with this, and there is some sense of anticipation for a lot of kids," he said.  

"Our goal is to get the very best in the country here. We were able to accomplish that in some sense last year, so we want to do it again."  
Yeah, you're right Prowler.....nothing at all that says they are trying to single out kids and make them think that they are "6 grillz can't miss" prospects.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:52:11 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jmar

Wanna call it a draw?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:12:45 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Prowler, seriously? I think you need to go clean up. I mean, if Gene Chizik's penis were within 5 square miles of you right now, I think you would totally double down it.

With the BCW, the "singling out" part comes from selecting only certain recruits to come. The "Big Cats". From an interview about BCW from Curtis Luper:
Yeah, you're right Prowler.....nothing at all that says they are trying to single out kids and make them think that they are "6 grillz can't miss" prospects.

RWS...

C'mon man, seriously?   Actually, Prowler didn't go bonkers crazy, and gave you a pretty straight forward explaination.  In fact, he gave a good one.  He completely shut you down.

First, EXACTLY the reason for things like Big Cat and Tiger Prowl is to include the community and families.  The name of the game is recruiting at Big Cat.  We can't, and do NOT ask any and all to come.  It is a chance for players that Auburn targets to come to Auburn WITH their families to enjoy family oriented activities.  We don't have the number one, or number two of EVERY service, or every position come, because it's unrealistic, unnecessary and not the goal.  People are excluded at times because of the harsh reality of life, and that is, that you might not be a target this year. 

You're trying VERY hard to twist this into something you don't even understand yourself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

They think it's all about them. ... I don't subscribe to the Look at Me Theory. There's nothing I like about it. So we talk to our guys about making a difference.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

RWS...

C'mon man, seriously?   Actually, Prowler didn't go bonkers crazy, and gave you a pretty straight forward explaination.  In fact, he gave a good one.  He completely shut you down.

First, EXACTLY the reason for things like Big Cat and Tiger Prowl is to include the community and families.  The name of the game is recruiting at Big Cat.  We can't, and do NOT ask any and all to come.  It is a chance for players that Auburn targets to come to Auburn WITH their families to enjoy family oriented activities.  We don't have the number one, or number two of EVERY service, or every position come, because it's unrealistic, unnecessary and not the goal.  People are excluded at times because of the harsh reality of life, and that is, that you might not be a target this year.  

You're trying VERY hard to twist this into something you don't even understand yourself.
My first paragraph was in reply to his first paragraph, which would be refered to as Saban worship if you were to say it was an Alabama fan talking about Alabama.

I give a 3 day old quote from an AU coach that directly contradicts what Prowler said, and I got owned. By him saying that they try to get the very best in the country at BCW, then that implies that the coaches consider the guys attending to be the best in the country to them. Or, in Prowler's words, that they are "6 grillz can't miss" prospects.

But yeah, I totally missed it. Gotcha, Chop.  :thumsup:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:39:27 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

RWS...

C'mon man, seriously?   Actually, Prowler didn't go bonkers crazy, and gave you a pretty straight forward explaination.  In fact, he gave a good one.  He completely shut you down.

It's unbelievable that this is what you've taken from this thread so far.  RWS is right and you're a complete homer for what you just said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

My first paragraph was in reply to his first paragraph, which would be refered to as Saban worship if you were to say it was an Alabama fan talking about Alabama.

I give a 3 day old quote from an AU coach that directly contradicts what Prowler said, and I got owned. By him saying that they try to get the very best in the country at BCW, then that implies that the coaches consider the guys attending to be the best in the country to them. Or, in Prowler's words, that they are "6 grillz can't miss" prospects.

But yeah, I totally missed it. Gotcha, Chop.  :thumsup:

Complete.  Total.  Fail.

The goal is to get the best in the country in Auburn that fits the needs of the class.  In other words, if it was JUST about sensationalizing the top players, then why not just send an open invite to the the ESPN Top 150?  Why not the Rivals 250?????

Why not?  Because that would be stupid as fuck. 

The goal (again) is to get the best players in the country (that fit the needs of Auburn) and show them that they are special to Auburn and to bring a sense of community and family to them and their family.  It also sends an early message of commradery with the other players and potential teamates.

Please don't try to act as if you haven't seen the word "family" thrown around between coaches and players, or recruits enough to really argue that Chizik, or other Auburn coaches are all about the "me" factor.

It's ignorant.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

Re: Coach Chizik's speech at the L'Arche Football Preview in Mobile....
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:29:36 PM »
It's unbelievable that this is what you've taken from this thread so far.  RWS is right and you're a complete homer for what you just said.
No this is the speech I don't want Gus Malzahn to ever make. This is the kind of a speech a head coach is supposed to give. Gene Chizik is the face of the football program and he is handling it well. I know you Bamer's back mask the tapes when Saban speaks but this is just print. So you want to mischaracterize BCW as a half-assed selective recruiting tool as opposed to having an open invite to the masses? What a reach!   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 09:43:04 PM »
Complete.  Total.  Fail.

The goal is to get the best in the country in Auburn that fits the needs of the class.  In other words, if it was JUST about sensationalizing the top players, then why not just send an open invite to the the ESPN Top 150?  Why not the Rivals 250?????

Why not?  Because that would be stupid as fuck.  

The goal (again) is to get the best players in the country (that fit the needs of Auburn) and show them that they are special to Auburn and to bring a sense of community and family to them and their family.  It also sends an early message of commradery with the other players and potential teamates.

Please don't try to act as if you haven't seen the word "family" thrown around between coaches and players, or recruits enough to really argue that Chizik, or other Auburn coaches are all about the "me" factor.

It's ignorant.
What you absolutely cannot understand is the hypocrisy in Chizik, or any coach that would complain about these kids' attitudes from the recruitment process. Even you cite that part of the point is to "show them they are special". I'm not saying that any of it is bad. All I'm saying is that when you do the things that AU coaches are doing, the things that all of you here have applauded and pointed to as to why you think the AU staff is a recruiting machine, you don't really have the standing to complain about how they act. You pump them up to be the best thing since sliced bread during their recruitment, and you expect that to just go away when they get on campus? It goes for any coach, not just Chizik.

Chopper, I know you're trying to yet again save your buddy here, but you are stretching it. Badly.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:47:59 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Yes they are special individuals prior to their commitment and better Auburn men and family when they leave.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

auburnredwing

• The Resident Mexican
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »
The only theory rws subscribes to is the "look at the TV" theory...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »
Chopper, I know you're trying to yet again save your buddy here, but you are stretching it. Badly.

Whiff.   You play the Kaos patented "buddy protecting buddy/ Sancho" card horribly.  I'm addressing you directly.

What you absolutely cannot understand is the hypocrisy in Chizik, or any coach that would complain about these kids' attitudes from the recruitment process. Even you cite that part of the point is to "show them they are special". I'm not saying that any of it is bad. All I'm saying is that when you do the things that AU coaches are doing, the things that all of you here have applauded and pointed to as to why you think the AU staff is a recruiting machine, you don't really have the standing to complain about how they act. You pump them up to be the best thing since sliced bread during their recruitment, and you expect that to just go away when they get on campus? It goes for any coach, not just Chizik.

The whole point of a recruiting visit of ANY type (football related or not) is to make the recruit feel special.

I'm not sure what the fuck you suggest anyone, any coach for that matter, do to cap the problem of teen immaturity when and if it happens.  When you solve that little gem, get back to us. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 10:43:16 PM »
The whole point of a recruiting visit of ANY type (football related or not) is to make the recruit feel special.

I'm not sure what the fuck you suggest anyone, any coach for that matter, do to cap the problem of teen immaturity when and if it happens.  When you solve that little gem, get back to us. 
Jesus, that was nearly my entire point. That IS the point of recruiting. To make a recruit feel special. It is E X A C T L Y the point.

My point is, it is incredibly stupid to be a recruiter, and in being a recruiter, doing the things that AU and company do, and then turn around and bitch to a bunch of people how these kids think they are all that because of the recruiting process, like he doesn't understand why. The coaches are the ones that create the monsters Chizik was bitching about. I'm not trying to solve the immaturity of teenagers, nor am I suggesting that Chizik solve it either. However, he doesn't have room to bitch when he and his staff (and every recruiter in college football, for that matter) are encouraging it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 10:54:53 PM »
Jesus, that was nearly my entire point. That IS the point of recruiting. To make a recruit feel special. It is E X A C T L Y the point.

My point is, it is incredibly stupid to be a recruiter, and in being a recruiter, doing the things that AU and company do, and then turn around and bitch to a bunch of people how these kids think they are all that because of the recruiting process, like he doesn't understand why. The coaches are the ones that create the monsters Chizik was bitching about. I'm not trying to solve the immaturity of teenagers, nor am I suggesting that Chizik solve it either. However, he doesn't have room to bitch when he and his staff (and every recruiter in college football, for that matter) are encouraging it.

Chizik didn't call anyone a "monster", and he wasn't "bitching" about things he doesn't understand.  In fact, he was talking as to the fact that he understands that they have to be "de-recruited" and taught respect. 

He was painting a realistic picture of what they deal with and what's part of the development of these kids into young men, and teaching them respect. 

However, it STILL doesn't mean that you STOP making these kids feel special when on their visits to AU.  In fact Big Cat is a great opportunity to see how these kids mesh with the others.  Does one act like he's over all the others?  Is he toxic in the mix?  How does he treat his family?  How does his family interact with the coaches and staff?  Big Cat is an innovative and great tool.  Unfortunatly, kids that are not targets of AU for the upcoming season are going to be left out.  Part of life.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »
 :popcorn:
So it was Professor Plum in the study with a candlestick.

Precisely!

Oh that's gonna make a mess!                     Roll Tahd!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 11:43:55 PM »
Chargers and Prowlers is all it takes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

RWS

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »
Chizik didn't call anyone a "monster", and he wasn't "bitching" about things he doesn't understand.  In fact, he was talking as to the fact that he understands that they have to be "de-recruited" and taught respect. 

He was painting a realistic picture of what they deal with and what's part of the development of these kids into young men, and teaching them respect. 

However, it STILL doesn't mean that you STOP making these kids feel special when on their visits to AU.  In fact Big Cat is a great opportunity to see how these kids mesh with the others.  Does one act like he's over all the others?  Is he toxic in the mix?  How does he treat his family?  How does his family interact with the coaches and staff?  Big Cat is an innovative and great tool.  Unfortunatly, kids that are not targets of AU for the upcoming season are going to be left out.  Part of life.
Jesus Christ on ice skates.........please tell me that you are purposely trying to be difficult. It can't possibly be this difficult to grasp what I am saying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions