Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The alpha-Male...

JR4AU

Re: The alpha-Male...
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »
Many of these so-called legitimate law suits need to be discouraged, especially when they needlessly tie up our legal system, but you can argue with these guys.

You think you want to deter law suits.  And what, in your mind, is a legitimate law suit? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »
No you didn't, you dreamed it, or made it up talking tough over cheap beer.

First off, I like my cheap beer. I don;t have any clients to be able to bill for the good stuff.

Yes. Yes. Talk is cheap. Like my beer.

But the fact remains that there are several example of hoe the system still leans to the left and the only ones that win are the ones who get paid.

Defending his property.    Who won? Lawyer.   
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/ROSS251_20091124-231201/307787/

Defending his home. The intruder was in his house. Why does it matter that he ran? He could have easily turned around and attacked the old man. Who wins? Lawyer.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011822531_kitsapshooting10m.html?syndication=rss

Who wins in this one?

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2003/01/19/2003-01-19_b_klyn_dad_under_the_gun_aft.html

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 04:02:32 PM »
First off, I like my cheap beer. I don;t have any clients to be able to bill for the good stuff.

But the fact remains that there are several example of hoe the system still leans to the left and the only ones that win are the ones who get paid.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/ROSS251_20091124-231201/307787/

Defending his home. The intruder was in his house. Why does it matter that he ran? He could have easily turned around and attacked the old man. Who wins? Lawyer.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011822531_kitsapshooting10m.html?syndication=rss

Who wins in this one?

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2003/01/19/2003-01-19_b_klyn_dad_under_the_gun_aft.html

You're so damned ignorant, and lawyer hating...in the first case he was charged with a crime...no lawyer won shit!  It wasn't a civil suit!  Geez, does your wife scream out the name of a lawyer you know at inappropriate times?  Oh, then there's this from the first case.

Ross also told police that he walked onto a back deck, and that after Heiston turned toward him, Ross fired once, wounding Heiston in his back and on the back of his head with buckshot.

Then there's the little matter of the law: "Virginia law allows people to use deadly force when serious injury or death is imminent, but not to defend property outside a home, Hollomon said. "Under the law, his actions were unreasonable," the prosecutor said."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »
You think you want to deter law suits.  And what, in your mind, is a legitimate law suit? 

Legitimate...  See definitions #4 though #7 for further explanation. 

le·git·i·mate   /adj., n. lɪˈdʒɪtəmɪt; v. lɪˈdʒɪtəˌmeɪt/  Show Spelled [adj., n. li-jit-uh-mit; v. li-jit-uh-meyt]  Show IPA adjective, verb,-mat·ed, -mat·ing, noun
–adjective
1.according to law; lawful: the property's legitimate owner.
2.in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards.
3.born in wedlock or of legally married parents: legitimate children.
4.in accordance with the laws of reasoning; logically inferable; logical: a legitimate conclusion.
5.resting on or ruling by the principle of hereditary right: a legitimate sovereign.
6.not spurious or unjustified; genuine: It was a legitimate complaint.
7.of the normal or regular type or kind.

8.Theater. of or pertaining to professionally produced stage plays, as distinguished from burlesque, vaudeville, television, motion pictures, etc.: an actor in the legitimate theater.
–verb (used with object)
9.to make lawful or legal; pronounce or state as lawful: Parliament legitimated his accession to the throne.
10.to establish as lawfully born: His bastard children were afterward legitimated by law.
11.to show or declare to be legitimate or proper: He was under obligation to legitimate his commission.
12.to justify; sanction or authorize: His behavior was legitimated by custom.
–noun
13.the legitimate, the legitimate theater or drama.
14.a person who is established as being legitimate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Origin:
1485–95; < ML lēgitimātus (ptp. of lēgitimāre to make lawful). See legitim, -ate1

—Related forms
le·git·i·mate·ly, adverb
le·git·i·mate·ness, noun
le·git·i·ma·tion, noun
de·le·git·i·mate, verb (used with object),-mat·ed, -mat·ing.
de·le·git·i·ma·tion, noun
non·le·git·i·mate, adjective
post·le·git·i·ma·tion, noun
qua·si-le·git·i·mate, adjective
qua·si-le·git·i·mate·ly, adverb

—Can be confused: legitimate, legitimize.

—Synonyms
1. legal, licit. 2. sanctioned. 4. valid. 9. legalize.

—Antonyms
1. illegitimate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »

Who wins in this one?

No. 2, again, no civil suit mentioned, shot a fleeing suspect.  Again, you want to shoot someone, better damn well makes sure you can reasonably articulate you feared for your life...hard to do when you shoot someone in the back running away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 04:08:18 PM »

Who wins in this one?

And in case #3, you seek to use a NY gun case (the shooting was legit, and no charges are based on the legality of the self defense shooting) to support your argument.  Geez, pretty weak all the way around. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 04:28:03 PM »
And in case #3, you seek to use a NY gun case (the shooting was legit, and no charges are based on the legality of the self defense shooting) to support your argument.  Geez, pretty weak all the way around. 

He defended his home, now he gets arrested. The whole point was that people are defending themselves and paying a price. Doesn't matter why. Once again a LAWYER will get paid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
He defended his home, now he gets arrested. The whole point was that people are defending themselves and paying a price. Doesn't matter why. Once again a LAWYER will get paid.

Wait...this is the example you use?  Are you serious? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »
Wait...this is the example you use?  Are you serious? 

Harv...it's becoming clear to me that his hatred is more socio-economic oriented, than anything else.  Laywers make a tidy profit in his eyes, and he hates people that make more money than him.  Lawyers are an easy target to him. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »
Legitimate...  See definitions #4 though #7 for further explanation.  

le·git·i·mate   /adj., n. lɪˈdʒɪtəmɪt; v. lɪˈdʒɪtəˌmeɪt/  Show Spelled [adj., n. li-jit-uh-mit; v. li-jit-uh-meyt]  Show IPA adjective, verb,-mat·ed, -mat·ing, noun
–adjective
1.according to law; lawful: the property's legitimate owner.
2.in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards.
3.born in wedlock or of legally married parents: legitimate children.
4.in accordance with the laws of reasoning; logically inferable; logical: a legitimate conclusion.
5.resting on or ruling by the principle of hereditary right: a legitimate sovereign.
6.not spurious or unjustified; genuine: It was a legitimate complaint.
7.of the normal or regular type or kind.

8.Theater. of or pertaining to professionally produced stage plays, as distinguished from burlesque, vaudeville, television, motion pictures, etc.: an actor in the legitimate theater.
–verb (used with object)
9.to make lawful or legal; pronounce or state as lawful: Parliament legitimated his accession to the throne.
10.to establish as lawfully born: His bastard children were afterward legitimated by law.
11.to show or declare to be legitimate or proper: He was under obligation to legitimate his commission.
12.to justify; sanction or authorize: His behavior was legitimated by custom.
–noun
13.the legitimate, the legitimate theater or drama.
14.a person who is established as being legitimate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Origin:
1485–95; < ML lēgitimātus (ptp. of lēgitimāre to make lawful). See legitim, -ate1

—Related forms
le·git·i·mate·ly, adverb
le·git·i·mate·ness, noun
le·git·i·ma·tion, noun
de·le·git·i·mate, verb (used with object),-mat·ed, -mat·ing.
de·le·git·i·ma·tion, noun
non·le·git·i·mate, adjective
post·le·git·i·ma·tion, noun
qua·si-le·git·i·mate, adjective
qua·si-le·git·i·mate·ly, adverb

—Can be confused: legitimate, legitimize.

—Synonyms
1. legal, licit. 2. sanctioned. 4. valid. 9. legalize.

—Antonyms
1. illegitimate.

Ok, your turn...give an example of a non-legit lawsuit.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:23:59 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
I don't hate lawyers.  As a matter of fact one of my best friends is an attorney and someone who I consider one of my greatest advisers in college (and life for that matter) is a lawyer...........but I do love me a good lawyer joke every now and then.  :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2010, 05:11:11 PM »
I don't hate lawyers.  As a matter of fact one of my best friends is an attorney and someone who I consider one of my greatest advisers in college (and life for that matter) is a lawyer...........but I do love me a good lawyer joke every now and then.  :)

How do you keep a lawyer from drowning?

Take your foot off the back of his head.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »
How do you keep a lawyer from drowning?

Take your foot off the back of his head.

:clap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GarMan

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »
Ok, your turn...give an example of a non-legit lawsuit.  
We can play this game all day.  The interWebs is full of 'em. 

Quote from: http://www.balancedpolitics.org/editorial-frivolous_lawsuits.htm
A New Frivolous Lawsuit Statute
By: Joe Messerli

A woman buys a coffee at McDonald's and drives off with the coffee between her legs. After the coffee spills and scalds her, she sues McDonald's for the coffee being too hot. She wins a $2 million dollar judgment.

In a class action suit against Cheerios over a food additive—with no evidence of injury to any consumers—lawyers were paid nearly $2 million in fees, which works out to approximately $2,000 per hour. Consumers in the class received coupons for a free box of cereal.

A Florida man sues six bars and liquor stores and the local electric company after he sustains injuries from his drunken climb up an electrical tower. The "victim" climbed over a fence and a locked gate to reach the power lines.

Over hundred people die in a nightclub fire due to unsafe indoor pyrotechnics at a Great White concert. A wrongful death lawsuit is filed, with one of the defendants being a large oil company. What is the connection of this company to the lawsuit? It gave away tickets to the concert as part of a sales promotion.

We've all heard plenty of examples like these. The list of frivolous lawsuits brought by greedy lawyers and plaintiffs who won't take any responsibility for their own lives is endless. Most people read examples like these and laugh, especially when the defendants are doctors, insurance companies, corporations, etc. who have deep pockets. Unfortunately, the legal costs and settlements translate to higher insurance costs, layoffs of workers, falling stock prices in our 401(k)'s, and other problems. It is no longer a laughing matter. This editorial explores some of the problems caused by frivolous lawsuits as well as a solution to the problem.
<snip>
Quote from: http://www.heavydutytrucking.com/2003/01/010a0301.asp
Awards For Frivolous Lawsuits
Funny and unfortunately true examples of our legal system.

DEBORAH WHISTLER
EDITOR

I got an email from a trucker friend, Bennie Foy, a few days before Christmas. It included nominations for the "Stella Awards." The awards are named after Stella Liebeck, then 79 years old, who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds for making the coffee too hot.
      That lawsuit always got me, because I personally suffered a similar grievous injury.
      Several years ago, another truck editor and I were visiting a truckstop. I grabbed myself a steaming cup o' joe to go. I placed the cup between my legs as I belted myself into the seat of his pickup.
      I'm sure you know where this is going: The top popped, the coffee spilled, I was very scorched on a very vulnerable body part. We had to stop several times on the way home to pick up fresh cans of cold soda. Not to drink, mind you, but to stick on my whatsit. The cold cans kept the pain somewhat at bay.
      The ride home was mostly silent, except of the occasional snicker my companion was unable to suppress. I laughed too, through the tears (it hurt like hell).
      You know, it never even occurred to me to blame anyone else for that stupid stunt. As a matter of fact, I swore my friend to secrecy, which he has honored (I think) to this day.
      Imagine my amazement when Stella hit the press with her McDonalds suit. When she won $2.9 million from the fast food chain I was in shock. As were plenty of other folks.
      So was born The Stella Awards, a project of This is True. The commentary on the cases comes from Colorado humorist Randy Cassingham (edited by me for space). Following are some of the most bizarre examples of truly frivolous lawsuits:
      • Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas: Awarded $780,000 by a jury after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. Why is this verdict surprising? The tot was none other than Robertson's own son.
      • A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman was attempting to steal the car's hubcaps at the time.
      • Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pa., was leaving a house he had just finished burglarizing by way of the garage. He couldn't get out because the automatic door-opener was malfunctioning. and he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, so Dickson was locked in the garage for eight days. He survived on a case of Pepsi, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance for undue mental anguish. He won $500,000.
      • Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Ark., was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been provoked. Williams had shot it repeatedly with a pellet gun.
      • A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pa., $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her tailbone. How did the beverage happen to be on the floor? Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend during an argument.
      • Kara Walton of Claymont, Del., successfully sued the owner of a nightclub when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying a $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.
      • Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Okla., purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago. Driving the motorhome onto the freeway, Grazinski set the cruise control at 70 mph, calmly left the drivers seat and walked to the back of the coach to make himself a cup of coffee. The R.V. left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not warning him in the owner's manual that he couldn't do this. A jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. Winnebago has since changed their owner's manuals to warn users that cruise control can't actually drive the vehicle for them.
      These cases are funny. They're also scary. Publishing and circulating them may help push forward the case for tort reform. You can get free subscriptions to The True Stella Awards by logging onto the Internet at www.stellaawards.com
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »
We can play this game all day.  The interWebs is full of 'em.  

You do realize that even in these so call frivolous suits you cite, many times, they're often misreported or they fail to report all the facts.  The first one you cite, and a popular one to cite, and in fact the Stella Awards is named after the plaintiff in the case, is the McDonalds hot coffee case.  Since you like the innerwebs for all your information, google it, and read the facts.  As they're reported by such outlets that are clearly anti-lawyer, and anti-law suit, they're often completely false on one or more facts.  The VAST MAJORITY of suits with no merit, never make it anywhere near trial, and are tossed on summary judgement.  For every 1 frivolous suit you think you can find, I can show you 100s of legit suits, often having to be brought because greedy insurance companies will just see if the plaintiff, who is clearly damaged by the negligence of another that is insured by them, has the balls, and patience to see it through.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:13:51 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »
You do realize that even in these so call frivolous suits you cite, many times, they're often misreported or they fail to report all the facts.  The first one you cite, and a popular one to cite, and in fact the Stella Awards is named after the plaintiff in the case, is the McDonalds hot coffee case.  Since you like the innerwebs for all your information, google it, and read the facts.  As they're reported by such outlets that are clearly anti-lawyer, and anti-law suit, they're often completely false on one or more facts.  The VAST MAJORITY of suits with no merit, never make it anywhere near trial, and are tossed on summary judgement.  For every 1 frivolous suit you think you can find, I can show you 100s of legit suits, often having to be brought because greedy insurance companies will just see if the plaintiff, who is clearly damaged by the negligence of another that is insured by them, has the balls, and patience to see it through.  

Well, I wouldn't expect you to show me hundreds, but why don't you start by showing how some of these cases are misreported...  I have no doubt that most cases are legit, but a lot of them, especially when dealing with insurance and malpractice, are not. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:15 PM »
Well, I wouldn't expect you to show me hundreds, but why don't you start by showing how some of these cases are misreported...  I have no doubt that most cases are legit, but a lot of them, especially when dealing with insurance and malpractice, are not.  

Facts in Stella Liebeck vs. McDonalds:

What you often read and hear: Liebeck ordered coffee (which everyone expects to be hot), and drove off spilling the hot coffee on herself.  Awarded a total of $2.7 Million in damages.  Pretty much all you hear, right?

Facts: Liebeck was a passenger, not the driver.  The car, driven by her grandson, was stopped.  She placed the coffee between her knees to add cream.  Spilled it, and recieved 3rd degree burns (full thickness burns) over 6% of her body, including her innerthighs, perinium, buttocks, etc.

McDonalds had recieved hundreds (@ 700 in the prior 10 years) of complaints of serious burns due to their coffe in the past...ie they were on notice.  

Their own quality control manager testified that he was aware of these complaints but kept strict orders to maitain the coffee at 180 Degree, + or - 5 Degrees.  Further admitted to a burning hazard on any food served over 140 degrees, and stated that coffee served at the temp that McDonalds held the coffee was, in fact, not consumable as it would cause severe burns to the mouth and throat at that temp.  Said they had no intention of changing the holding temp either.  There was substantial testimony about how hot other establishments hold and serve their coffee, about what temps will cause burns, etc. etc.  

Oh, then there was the fact that Liebeck initially only asked for $20,000 dollars to cover her meds of $11,000 from an 8 day hospital stay, skin grafts, debridements, etc.  ( a far cry from a normal "ouch that's hot" burn)  McDonalds refused, but did offer something like $800.  

The warning on the cup was deemed to be insufficient as to the extent of the potential danger.

Finally, a JURY that heard the facts, not a lawyer or a judge, awarded $200K in compensatory damages, and $2.7 in punitives (an amount equal to about 2 days coffee sales for McDonalds).  The compensatory damages were reduced by 20% because Liebeck was found 20% at fault.  

The judge said McDonalds was reckless, callous and willful.  

Afterwards the judge reduced the punitive award to $480K.

And it was appealed...and subsequently settled before the appeals were exahausted.  

Now, I know that you the hard line is "she spilled the coffee, her fault, no money for her".  If you feel that way, fine.  Then, in your eyes, it's a frivolous suit.  I can't change that...but the facts  aren't as most, ie THE FUCKING STELLA AWARDS, would have you believe.  I'm not going to delve in to every one you cited.  STELLA is notorious for inexact, inaccurate, and flat false reporting of facts in these cases, but then they have a "tort reform" agenda too.  What would you expect?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:58:29 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
Facts in Stella Liebeck vs. McDonalds:

<snip> 

Now, I know that you the hard line is "she spilled the coffee, her fault, no money for her".  If you feel that way, fine.  Then, in your eyes, it's a frivolous suit.  I can't change that...but the facts  aren't as most, ie THE phukING STELLA AWARDS, would have you believe.  I'm not going to delve in to every one you cited.  STELLA is notorious for inexact, inaccurate, and flat false reporting of facts in these cases, but then they have a "tort reform" agenda too.  What would you expect? 

At the end of the day, you have a clumsy slob who spilled her coffee, sustained some injury and won a cash reward.  You don't like the summary presented on the interWebs because it doesn't tell the whole story.  Perhaps, the only thing inaccurate about the story is the final cash settlement that Stella finally did receive. 
- Did the additional facts really matter to me?  To be honest with you, not much... 
- Would the facts matter to a sensible-thinking person on a jury?  Maybe some... 
- Were the compensatory damages resonable?  Probably not...
- Was the original punitive damage award reasonable?  I think it was absolutely ridiculous. 
- Was the reduced punitive award reasonable?  No... 

I'm sorry, but even as you presented it, this case should serve as a call for tort reform.  I'm not saying that she didn't deserve anything, but these awards make no sense to me.  I don't care if it was McDonalds or McDowells. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2010, 12:30:16 AM »
At the end of the day, you have a clumsy slob who spilled her coffee, sustained some injury and won a cash reward.  You don't like the summary presented on the interWebs because it doesn't tell the whole story.  Perhaps, the only thing inaccurate about the story is the final cash settlement that Stella finally did receive. 
- Did the additional facts really matter to me?  To be honest with you, not much... 
- Would the facts matter to a sensible-thinking person on a jury?  Maybe some... 
- Were the compensatory damages resonable?  Probably not...
- Was the original punitive damage award reasonable?  I think it was absolutely ridiculous. 
- Was the reduced punitive award reasonable?  No... 

I'm sorry, but even as you presented it, this case should serve as a call for tort reform.  I'm not saying that she didn't deserve anything, but these awards make no sense to me.  I don't care if it was McDonalds or McDowells. 

And at the end of the day, who got theirs? Ahhah. You guessed it........THE LAWYERS.

I only dislike them because I is po and they is so rich and upstanding. It do be a pitiful life I do be have. I sho is hongry. I wish somebody would rear-end me so's I could get Ken Nugent to sue dey ass and win me millins of dolarses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »
At the end of the day, you have a clumsy slob who spilled her coffee, sustained some injury and won a cash reward.  

I'm sorry, but even as you presented it, this case should serve as a call for tort reform.  I'm not saying that she didn't deserve anything, but these awards make no sense to me. 

Here here.... :clap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE