Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The beta-Male... Revisited

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
The beta-Male... Revisited
« on: May 09, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
Some folks tend to get all pissy when I use the term beta-male, but here's an interesting story.

http://blog.al.com/living-news/2010/05/are_you_a_mamas_boy.html

Are you a mama's boy from Alabama?
By Chanda Temple Guster -- The Birmingham N...
May 07, 2010, 3:42PM

Hey fellas. Are you a mama's boy?

Turns out, if you live in Alabama, you stay in touch with mom more than guys from any other state in America, according to a recent study.

Is that so bad?

Research by CouponCodes4u.com investigated the attitudes of more than 7,500 men who are 25 years old and up, and found that men in the South depend more on mom than any other region. And, according to the poll, men from Alabama, Tennessee and Louisiana, talk to their mothers the most.

By percentage, men who said they had to talk to their mom on a regular basis showed:

Alabama -- 72 percent
Tennessee -- 69 percent
Louisiana -- 64 percent
Georgia -- 61 percent
Utah -- 55 percent
Kansas -- 53 percent
Virginia -- 41 percent
Florida -- 27 percent
Alaska -- 24 percent

Only 4 percent of the men polled from New York said they felt the need to contact their mom often.

According to the study, 42 percent of men from Alabama speak to their mothers daily.

Results from the poll as a whole showed that 44 percent of the men use the phone to chat to mom; 21 percent talk to mom face-to-face; and 12 percent admitted to using the Internet. Of those who use the Internet, 67 percent use Facebook and 11 percent use Twitter.

The results also showed that 16 percent of the men polled in Alabama, live at home with their parents and have frequent conversations with their parents. However, just 7 percent of the men polled from Florida lived with their parents.

Still think you are a mama's boy based on the poll?

Naw, we didn't either. Just chalk it up to Southern hospitality and good home training. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: The beta-Male... Revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:04:23 AM »
Yeah! Real men don't fucking talk to their whore mothers.

Mommy issues?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:21:34 AM »
The beta-male president...  Fun stuff...

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/10/did_we_elect_a_beta_male_as_pr_1.html

October 05, 2009
Did We Elect a Beta Male As President?
By Greg Lewis

We're all somewhat familiar with the body language dogs display when they greet each other. The dominant alpha male approaches directly, asserting his authority, while the beta male genuflects, crouches, tucks his tail, and may even end up on his back, exposing his neck in acquiescence, making sure the alpha male knows he has no intention of challenging him. With his "we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist" opening to the world's dictators, the President is exhibiting classic beta male behavior, in essence rolling over on his back and exposing his throat to them to make sure they know he has no intention of challenging their authority.

Of course, the problem is that he's not simply exposing his throat, he's exposing America's collective throat, sending the message that he's a typical beta male intent on submitting to all the alpha male leaders around the world, and damn the consequences. His response to the discovery of Iran's newest, and heretofore "secret," nuclear facility was, as Daniel Henninger (Wall Street Journal, October 1, 2009) points out, to have our State Department offer to start a direct dialogue with the tyrannical Burmese regime.

The Obama administration has also offered conciliatory gestures to the genocidal Sudanese leader Omar Hassan al-Bashir, and it has dispatched none other than John Kerry to meet with Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad. This, of course, is not to mention his somewhat more visible overtures to the world's alpha male thugs: Obama has consorted jovially with Hugo Chavez and his counterpart Daniel Ortega, he's bowed down to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, he's agreed to halt plans to install a missile defense system in eastern Europe to placate Vladimir Putin, and he's offered the aforementioned hand to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, despite the latter's expressed unwillingness to even agree to acknowledge the truly important issue of Iran's nuclear weapons in our talks, all quintessential beta male behaviors.

While we've all been seeking a political rationale for the president's actions, his behavior goes beyond the political to something deeper and more personal: like all beta males, Barack Obama simply does not have the temperament to confront tyrannical alpha males around the globe. In this light, even his inability to work with American allies Gordon Brown and Nikolas Sarkozy is a function of his being incapable of facing down the world's tyrants: to cooperate with our allies would require Obama to display alpha male behaviors, including demonstrating courage, something he's simply not capable of doing. The president's beta-male proclivities are arguably putting the safety of his constituents, the citizens of our country, in serious jeopardy.

Another cue to this unfortunate character trait of the president's can be found in the lack of assertiveness of his oratorical style. While many people insist that Barack Obama is a wonderful speaker, in fact, he exhibits less emotional range when he addresses a crowd than his predecessor, George W. Bush, did. He may have better speechwriters than W, but his delivery is monotonic and his cadences clipped, both signs of a beta male, unsure of himself, putting his words out there more for the purpose of seeking approval than of providing leadership.

The president's characteristic head tilt when he's speaking to an audience or having to deal with a tough question when he's being interviewed (although there are certainly very few instances of his having to do this) is another sign of submissive behavior. It crops up less than a minute in during an interview with Fox News's Bill O'Reilly (YouTube - Barack Obama Interview With Bill O'Reilly Sept 4, 2008 - FNC ) in answer to O'Reilly's question, "Do you believe we're in a war on terror?" After an initial "Absolutely," the Candidate begins to hedge, his head tilts as he explains the difficulty in sorting out the good guys from the bad guys in the Middle East. Like beta males everywhere, Obama is not about to commit to words that he might have to back up with assertive action.

Being a beta male is all about developing strategies for deflecting aggression, and for this reason, beta males do have an important place in society. Within the confines of a social unit, beta-male behavior can help to defuse aggression and maintain domestic peace. But in a world where other nations' alpha-male leaders are constantly probing for even the smallest signs of weakness, having a beta male president has thrown into stark relief the dangers to which this president's unfortunate character trait is exposing his country.

To return to the canine metaphor: It's the height of folly to think that other nations won't be doing everything they can to make President Obama their bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GarMan

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
Yeah! Real men don't phuking talk to their whore mothers.

Mommy issues? 

Like I said, pissy...  Why must you take everything so personal and go to absurd extremes?  Am I hitting close to home, or do we have self-confidence issues where you have to lash out at every opportunity? 

http://www.youtube.com/v/cNkp4QF3we8&hl=en_US&fs=1
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:49:39 AM »
Like I said, pissy...  Why must you take everything so personal and go to absurd extremes?  Am I hitting close to home, or do we have self-confidence issues where you have to lash out at every opportunity? 

http://www.youtube.com/v/cNkp4QF3we8&hl=en_US&fs=1
Probably because you make it personal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:04:23 AM »
What did I miss here? 

Is there something wrong with talking with your mother?  What started this, and why is it in the political forum?

Please to be explainin' the hostility?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 08:24:40 AM »
Probably because you make it personal. 

Nah...  I don't buy it.  Not everything I post is specifically designed to insult, challenge, attack or provoke the guy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:33:51 AM »
What did I miss here? 

Is there something wrong with talking with your mother?  What started this, and why is it in the political forum?

Please to be explainin' the hostility? 

In a few threads, I had used the term, beta-male, to define the softer, less confrontational, no-absolute, follow-the-herd positions that others were taking in some of these political discussions.  Some have chosen to take it personal. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »
In a few threads, I had used the term, beta-male, to define the softer, less confrontational, no-absolute, follow-the-herd positions that others were taking in some of these political discussions.  Some have chosen to take it personal. 

Okay.

I guess I'm just trying to link the whole "mother" tie in here.  If you're talking about opposing political views, and someone adamantly, and aggressively opposes yours, aren't they in fact exuding more of a "alpha" male approach?

I guess I don't get the whole thing here, unless it IS to just gig a certain poster in an effort to push a button or something....

JMO I guess...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 09:32:18 AM »
I guess I'm just trying to link the whole "mother" tie in here. 

Mother...  Mama's boy...  I thought the timing of the article was interesting. 

If you're talking about opposing political views, and someone adamantly, and aggressively opposes yours, aren't they in fact exuding more of a "alpha" male approach? 

Agreed...  But, see previous explanation regarding positions being defended. 

I guess I don't get the whole thing here, unless it IS to just gig a certain poster in an effort to push a button or something.... 

Rock the boat for the 'bama residents, but not get into another damn pissing match.  This wussification and feminization of America thing is bigger than just another petty insult. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »
The beta-male president...  Fun stuff...

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/10/did_we_elect_a_beta_male_as_pr_1.html

Disclaimer: the first I heard of the "beta-male" was in GarMan's posts.

What are this guy's credentials?  I ask because he begins with some assumptions that I don't think are sound.  The dog behavior analogy is weak at best.  Dog pack behavior is a very crude comparison for human interaction and as a means for analyzing global political interactions is like using a yardstick to measure the distance between planets.

It makes a good talking point.  It's easy to conceptualize and digest.  People own dogs and know subservient dog behavior when they see it.  As a critical tool for analyzing human behavior I think it's weak.

The sole point of the "beta-male" tag is to undermine the opponent by suggesting that he is less a man.  That is unsophisticated debate to say the least.

If the alternative is Bush's form of cowboy diplomacy, I'll take the current approach. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »
Yeah.  Why don't we just call them pussies now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 10:01:18 AM »
Yeah.  Why don't we just call them pussies now?

At least that's an honest insult.

Beta-male is a dressed up form of that masquerading as legit psychological terminology.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »
With the recent sweep of MSU and the College Baseball regular season winding down, I think Im gonna exit the political forums for a while and enjoy this baseball team of ours. Yall have fun arguing!  :vn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 10:20:42 AM »
With the recent sweep of MSU and the College Baseball regular season winding down, I think Im gonna exit the political forums for a while and enjoy this baseball team of ours. Yall have fun arguing!  :vn:

This is a good idea and one that we can agree on.

However...

Just when I think I'm out.....they pull me back in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »
At least that's an honest insult.

Beta-male is a dressed up form of that masquerading as legit psychological terminology. 

Well, beta-male is what it has evolved into...  We've all noticed the trend with the feminization of western culture.  In some circles, it's no longer cool to be macho or even act like a man.  That's definitely the case throughout most of Western Europe, and it's pretty strong in the US with classifications like metro-sexual, boys who cry, sensitive men and others.  The PC movement brought us a lot of this crap.  The term has been floating around for years and runs right along with the Feminization or Wussification of America.  Are these concepts really new to you?  Shirley, they're not...  And yes, I just called you Shirley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 11:42:40 AM »
Well, beta-male is what it has evolved into...  We've all noticed the trend with the feminization of western culture.  In some circles, it's no longer cool to be macho or even act like a man.  That's definitely the case throughout most of Western Europe, and it's pretty strong in the US with classifications like metro-sexual, boys who cry, sensitive men and others.  The PC movement brought us a lot of this crap.  The term has been floating around for years and runs right along with the Feminization or Wussification of America.  Are these concepts really new to you?  Shirley, they're not...  And yes, I just called you Shirley.

As a generalized concept, sure I've heard of the "wussification of America".  As a legit psychological theory, I have not. 

The implication in the term as you throw it around in here, however, is that anyone who isn't a by-god-john-wayne-spit-in-your-eye-MAN is less than a man. 

That has nothing to do with the merits of their position and serves only as a needless insult.  So.....if you get bent out of shape about labels such as "redneck" being bandied about, just remember that you're only getting as good as you give.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »

You're trying to pull together 10 lbs. of overly verbose generalizations and trying to stuff it into a 5lbs., sack made out of very thin material.

Sorry man.  This is over the top for me, even if I do agree with SOME of your politics.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »

You're trying to pull together 10 lbs. of overly verbose generalizations and trying to stuff it into a 5lbs., sack made out of very thin material.

Sorry man.  This is over the top for me, even if I do agree with SOME of your politics.

Beta-male.

I bet you called your mom on Mother's Day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »
As a generalized concept, sure I've heard of the "wussification of America".  As a legit psychological theory, I have not. 

The implication in the term as you throw it around in here, however, is that anyone who isn't a by-god-john-wayne-spit-in-your-eye-MAN is less than a man. 

That has nothing to do with the merits of their position and serves only as a needless insult.  So.....if you get bent out of shape about labels such as "redneck" being bandied about, just remember that you're only getting as good as you give. 

Wes,

The term has nothing to do with psychology, and nobody suggested it did.  Sure, my use of the term is exactly as you have suggested.  So what?  It's no different than when your gurlz dish it out in here, and you have to run into the middle to defend their honor.  It's always fine when they sling schit and bully people around, but if anybody throws it back, it's that other guy being unreasonable.  FUKC THAT and this stupid gay language filter!

This thread has NOTHING to do with your little gurlz.  I was poking fun at the feminization trend in America.  If you QUEENS can't deal with it without taking personal offense, too fuggin' bad! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions