Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cameron Newton named #1 QB

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Cameron Newton named #1 QB
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2010, 12:58:58 PM »
You were doing good until that part.  Your opinion, as usual, is largely very "fan-boyish" and ignorant.  He's a WR...they also take advantage of the other tools he has that, while not good enough to start as a QB, bring an extra dimension to the offense.  He threw 2 TDs, Rushed for 5, and caught 1.  Had 175 yards on 56 carries.  He contributed far beyond any "gadgetry".

Nope. the bammer turd is right about this one. KB is taking up a spot on the field that could be used by a true WR. I would much rather have a guy like Winter out there every down than KB. Winter is a guy who will not burn past people (neither will KB), but always seems to be open and catches the ball.  How many times have we been 3rd and needy and KB has been open? I know he is an AUBURN man, but so are the rest of the guys.

And as far as the mildcat thing, MF could have done just as well and probably thrown less INTs.

I just do not see aplace in the O for him unless it is "gadgetry".

As for the timing of the announcement, I too feel it was ODD. But not enough to dwell on and see it as an issue. I think we'll see three QBs out on the field all summer long. And by the time fall rolls around, all of the WRs will know how each throws. It should be very interesting.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:59:40 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:34 PM »
Nope. the bammer turd is right about this one. KB is taking up a spot on the field that could be used by a true WR. I would much rather have a guy like Winter out there every down than KB. Winter is a guy who will not burn past people (neither will KB), but always seems to be open and catches the ball.  How many times have we been 3rd and needy and KB has been open? I know he is an AUBURN man, but so are the rest of the guys.

And as far as the mildcat thing, MF could have done just as well and probably thrown less INTs.

I just do not see aplace in the O for him unless it is "gadgetry".

If you wish to refer to what he contributes as gadgetry...have a ball.  He was, if the math in my head is correct while eyeballing the stats, about 5th on the team in touches per game.  He averaged 5 per game, with right at a 4 yard per touch avg, and roughly one TD for every 10 touches, or slightly better.  I'm combining Passing, Rushing, and Rec.   If you think "the wildcat" is gadgetry.  Fine.  It's been explained, many a time to be simple old school single wing series football.  In the actual WR rotation, he played sparingly, and is perfectly capable of being a solid #4 WR...especially if you want to compare him to Winter who had 1 catch all last year.  Wisner, who you may have meant, who simply earned playing time by working his butt off, and through no talent at all, got 5 touches last year.  Again, call it what you want...whether it was through what you might call "normal receptions" or whatever, 5 touches per game is about how much an avg starting WR would get.  He avg'd a respectable 9.1 yards a catch receiving, and 3.1 per rush...many of which were on the goalline inside the 5 anyway.  He was 4th on the team with 8 total TD accounted for behind Todd, Tate, and D. Adams.  It's not a point I really want to go on and on about...so if you want to call it gadgetry, I'll give you that.   I'll also say that I have no problem whatsoever with a kid that has paid his dues under some trying circumstances, and didn't cry, whine, bitch and moan or play the race card when he wasn't given the staring QB positon, being given a reward of playing time for said good attitude.   I also have to think that if he couldn't contribute, the coaches would have had someone out there that could.  With Cam as the QB, you can rest assured his role will be reduced this next year.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:25:02 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2010, 01:48:53 PM »
Agreed JR.  The Corches jobs hinge on winning and losing.  They're going to put who they see as the best possible player at each position. Why do anything less?  I see Kodi solidly in the rotation as he seems to be looking more comfortable with each game.  As a fan, I don't want to see him anywhere near the Mildcat formation, especially not passing out of it.  That dude went full on retodd even when he completed one.  Fannin was a high school QB and is now a full time running back.  He makes sense to run the MC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »
Agreed JR.  The Corches jobs hinge on winning and losing.  They're going to put who they see as the best possible player at each position. Why do anything less?  I see Kodi solidly in the rotation as he seems to be looking more comfortable with each game.  As a fan, I don't want to see him anywhere near the Mildcat formation, especially not passing out of it.  That dude went full on retodd even when he completed one.  Fannin was a high school QB and is now a full time running back.  He makes sense to run the MC.

Don't know what they'll do with him this year.  He's a Sr. and has worked hard, and contributed.  I expect they'll continue to use him, even if just a decoy.   IF Fannin can be a threat to complete a pass, he might be a better option as the Mildcat Back.   Or they may mix it up some.  With Cam as a run threat, you can  probably expect to see "The Mildcat" run with base personnel some too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »

Cam and Campbell
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »
Where the phuk you been?

School my friend. I had to change from engineering major to an education major because my son came to live with me last year and so I was a full time dad again. While this meant my classes would be much easier and I would spend less time at school on projects, I have discovered being a social science education major just meant that they pile on more "busy" work. I had to read more books and write more papers these past two semesters than I ever have before. Yet, I am now better educated about 19th Century Europe and the cultural pasts of Latin America, Africa, and Asia. :vn:

Question about this whole QB thing....were all the incoming freshman we just signed at spring practice? If not, is there a chance that one of them might come in and just awe the coaches enough for Cam to lose his #1 spot?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:08:53 PM by Ranger12 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
School my friend. I had to change from engineering major to an education major because my son came to live with me last year and so I was a full time dad again. While this meant my classes would be much easier and I would spend less time at school on projects, I have discovered being a social science education major just meant that they pile on more "busy" work. I had to read more books and write more papers these past two semesters than I ever have before. Yet, I am now better educated about 19th Century Europe and the cultural pasts of Latin America, Africa, and Asia. :vn:

Question about this whole QB thing....were all the incoming freshman we just signed at spring practice? If not, is there a chance that one of them might come in and just awe the coaches enough for Cam to lose his #1 spot?

Cam Newton was the only QB signed in the '10 class.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2010, 10:25:01 PM »
Cam Newton was the only QB signed in the '10 class.
:doh:
That shows how hard I follow the recruiting process.

Still, what if we would have signed one or two incoming freshman? I know sometimes these recruits enroll early if possible, but what if a QB recruit was not at spring practice, but a #1 was named? At that point, what good is naming a #1 at all if you got a guy or two coming in that may be competing for that job in the fall?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions