Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cameron Newton named #1 QB

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Cameron Newton named #1 QB
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 01:44:26 PM »
Not that my opinion counts, but here is how I view this. Either:

A) Newton is the next coming of Tebow and is just that good. (I'm overstating, obviously.)

or

B) AU has some talent issues at the QB position.

I suppose we will have a more accurate idea of which one is correct this fall.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:45:43 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »

A) Newton is the next coming of Tebow and is just that good. (I'm overstating, obviously.)

or

A is yet to be seen, but one thing is certain, and that is: B, or Newton would never have been brought in as a JC transfer.  Anybody that's ever listened to college coaches about JCs can tell you that as a coach, you NEVER bring in a guy to challenge guys who are talented enough to win the job, and have paid their dues.  You only bring them in when you have a NEED to fill NOW.  Clearly the guys on campus didn't inspire confidence, and none of them had the idea in their head, and more importantly, the team didn't have the idea in their head that any of them was "due the job".  When the team is behind a guy already on campus, you can destroy team chemistry by bringing in a JC guy.  There's a lot to be said for waiting your turn...but athletes know who is due their turn and who is not. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 01:50:59 PM »

or

Thank you, King Duh.

"Mark my words, will be really good...unless of course he isn't"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »
I have a question.  Why is it that even Auburn people have trouble grasping the fact that maybe...just maybe....a top flight QB wanted to come to Auburn.  That he could be the real deal.  Not addressing anyone in particular, just an overall lack of enthusiasm.  The guy has ALL the physical tools.  He's Terrell Pryor big, strong and fast.  He had all the credentials coming out of high school and was coveted by the top D1 programs around the country and of course, signed with one of the top programs.  Unfortunately, he was behind what some (some) have said is the greatest all around college player in history.  He goes JUCO and absolutely tears it up in every aspect of the game...throwing, running...winning.  We've all seen the film from him de-cleating a UT defender to throwing frozen rope TD's and outrunning everyone in JUCO. 

Now, we have excitement like we haven't seen in years surrounding this program.  A staff that can recruit like crazy and an offensive system that anybody with half a brain can look at and deduce.."Chris Todd put up sick numbers?  Chris Todd??  What the hell could I do in that system...in the SEC..on the biggest stages in college football?"

With his experience at Florida and his NC and killer numbers in JUCO, there is no excuse for this guy to be anything other than as advertised.  I think he will be and I've seen nothing to indicate otherwise.  If he struggles...he struggles. But no one on this board or anywhere else has seen one thing to raise a red flag about his ability to play at the highest of levels.  And I continue to see this hesitancy to jump on his bandwagon.  Maybe it's because Auburn has literally never had a QB come in with this kind of hype and if they did, it took some time to get it together.  Jason was a big time recruit but his struggles initially are well documented. 

I actually am a realist and I understand that he could in fact struggle like Pryor did his first two years.  But, I think Newton is light years ahead of where Pryor was when he came into OSU as a freshman.  I also just feel it's time our next "Bo" got this thing started and Auburn jumps back in the national picture in a big way.  Other than Ted Roof, there's no reason naming Newton as the starter didn't do just that.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
Thank you, King Duh.

Not trying to make a prediction on either. I honestly haven't even seen any video of how he performed at A-Day for that matter. Last month, I was given a dissertation by somebody here on how AU is in no way, shape, or form fucked at QB. So, obviously, opinions vary. No need to be a smartass teenager.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

RWS

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »
I have a question.  Why is it that even Auburn people have trouble grasping the fact that maybe...just maybe....a top flight QB wanted to come to Auburn.  That he could be the real deal.  Not addressing anyone in particular, just an overall lack of enthusiasm.  The guy has ALL the physical tools.  He's Terrell Pryor big, strong and fast.  He had all the credentials coming out of high school and was coveted by the top D1 programs around the country and of course, signed with one of the top programs.  Unfortunately, he was behind what some (some) have said is the greatest all around college player in history.  He goes JUCO and absolutely tears it up in every aspect of the game...throwing, running...winning.  We've all seen the film from him de-cleating a UT defender to throwing frozen rope TD's and outrunning everyone in JUCO. 

Now, we have excitement like we haven't seen in years surrounding this program.  A staff that can recruit like crazy and an offensive system that anybody with half a brain can look at and deduce.."Chris Todd put up sick numbers?  Chris Todd??  What the hell could I do in that system...in the SEC..on the biggest stages in college football?"

With his experience at Florida and his NC and killer numbers in JUCO, there is no excuse for this guy to be anything other than as advertised.  I think he will be and I've seen nothing to indicate otherwise.  If he struggles...he struggles. But no one on this board or anywhere else has seen one thing to raise a red flag about his ability to play at the highest of levels.  And I continue to see this hesitancy to jump on his bandwagon.  Maybe it's because Auburn has literally never had a QB come in with this kind of hype and if they did, it took some time to get it together.  Jason was a big time recruit but his struggles initially are well documented. 

I actually am a realist and I understand that he could in fact struggle like Pryor did his first two years.  But, I think Newton is light years ahead of where Pryor was when he came into OSU as a freshman.  I also just feel it's time our next "Bo" got this thing started and Auburn jumps back in the national picture in a big way.  Other than Ted Roof, there's no reason naming Newton as the starter didn't do just that.   
I think part of the problem is the high rate of failure among QBs. I really don't think it's specific to Auburn. For example, ask me how excited I am about Phillip Sims. It's one thing to be excited about a DL, LB, WR, etc. The game just changes drastically for a QB coming out of HS. Take Kodi Burns as a recent example. This kid was a hot commodity, had all the tools, looked the part, etc etc. He's a gadget WR for the most part now. That's JMO, though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »

My "doubt", trepidation, skepticism, is just healthy doubt based on the fact that far more QB's fail to live up to the hype than excell.  Not an Auburn QB thing.  I'm not one of those that brings up Kodi every time "then next great QB" is mentioned.  But fact is, it's the toughest position to make the transition to make from HS or JC to the big time.  I predicted Todd as last year's starter, when many were saying they didn't want to see him take another snap at Auburn after 2008.  You mentioned his record setting year.  Many Auburn fans want to dismiss good QBs like Todd, and Brandon Cox, despite their overall performances.  Neither was an NFL level QB, but both did some good things...Todd under very tough circumstances, and with a mediocre team that was in transition.   Here's the thing about Cam, and this can't be overstated.  IF he's even as good as Todd in the passing game, he's a better QB because he brings the extra athletic dimension too.  Todd wasn't good because he had a rocket arm...he was good because he played within the framework of what Malzahn asked him to do, and to no small extent, FINALLY got some help from his WRs due to better coaching at that position.  People can't be blind to that aspect of it either.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
Thank you, King Duh.

He invoked the Prowler defense.

You must acquit
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 02:55:53 PM »
Take Kodi Burns as a recent example. This kid was a hot commodity, had all the tools, looked the part, etc etc. He's a gadget WR for the most part now. That's JMO, though. 

You were doing good until that part.  Your opinion, as usual, is largely very "fan-boyish" and ignorant.  He's a WR...they also take advantage of the other tools he has that, while not good enough to start as a QB, bring an extra dimension to the offense.  He threw 2 TDs, Rushed for 5, and caught 1.  Had 175 yards on 56 carries.  He contributed far beyond any "gadgetry".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
You were doing good until that part.  Your opinion, as usual, is largely very "fan-boyish" and ignorant.  He's a WR...they also take advantage of the other tools he has that, while not good enough to start as a QB, bring an extra dimension to the offense.  He threw 2 TDs, Rushed for 5, and caught 1.  Had 175 yards on 56 carries.  He contributed far beyond any "gadgetry".
Call it whatever you want. Perhaps I should just call him jack of all trades, master of none?  Or should I just refer to his position as QB/WR/RB hybrid? He's not a feature WR. He's not a feature back. He's just that situational guy that does some situational shit. For all we know, if AU had more than 5 WRs on the roster, he might not have seen the field as much as he did. Who knows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »
He invoked the Prowler defense.

You must acquit

"Look at da Prowler."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »
JR, outside of all the physical attributes and credentials that Newton brings in, your statement about comparing him to Todd is what makes it move the the most for me.  Yes, Todd worked within the system and as long as you can do even a half-ass job of that, you will put up big numbers under Malzahn.  Todd rarely made any throw that made you go, WOW, but he had an accurate enough arm to make it work most of the time.  You have to trust that Newton will have the same accuracy to a certain degree.  As long as he can match that for the most part, his legs will make him far more dangerous and productive than Todd. 

He has more physical weapons and he has a senior dominated line and more experienced skill position players at his disposal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 03:58:09 PM »

or

Neither of these is relevant to the question:  Why now? 

Why not the day of the A-Day game?  Why not the day after?  Why not the week before?  Why not the day before fall practice starts?  Why not the week after fall practice begins?

What was the urgency in naming a starting quarterback TODAY when everybody -- including most of the players -- was okay with going into the fall with an open competition? 

The timing is simply absurd.  The "we were watching film and suddenly saw something that wasn't there before..." bullshit just doesn't fly. 

All this does is give snarky bastards like Evan Woodberry ammunition to make snarky comments and ask the same questions I'm asking, but in a more condescending and damaging way.  You ask me, this gives the opposition another little piece of ammunition when they can say to a recruit "wow, those guys are a little bizarre." 

It's not a conspiracy, but it's not smart either. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 04:02:27 PM »

All this does is give snarky bastards like Evan Woodberry ammunition to make snarky comments and ask the same questions I'm asking, but in a more condescending and damaging way. 

Unpossible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »

All irrelevant to the issue.  

Why now?  

Nobody has given me even the most remote logical reason for announcing this decision TODAY -- about eight or nine days after announcing that no number one would be named heading into the fall.  

Crackpot theories and ridiculous stretches of the imagination have been offered, but nothing that makes sense has been tossed out there.  

Not debating his skill, etc.  because that's not the point.  But Harv, if he was as magnificent as you postulate above, why not make this decision and announcement way before now?  

Don't explain the decision -- because we all knew it was coming -- explain the TIMING of the announcement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »
All irrelevant to the issue.  

Why now?  

Nobody has given me even the most remote logical reason for announcing this decision TODAY -- about eight or nine days after announcing that no number one would be named heading into the fall.  

Crackpot theories and ridiculous stretches of the imagination have been offered, but nothing that makes sense has been tossed out there.  

Not debating his skill, etc.  because that's not the point.  But Harv, if he was as magnificent as you postulate above, why not make this decision and announcement way before now?  

Don't explain the decision -- because we all knew it was coming -- explain the TIMING of the announcement.
If you watch the video I posted, instead of ltrying to make something out of nothing, you would see that Chizik said he did it because he wanted the leadership during the summer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
If you watch the video I posted, instead of ltrying to make something out of nothing, you would see that Chizik said he did it because he wanted the leadership during the summer.

I'm asking a question.  Not making something out of nothing.  

I'm sorry, but that answer is stupid on Chizik's part.  He decided this a couple of weeks after practice was over?  Even if it's true, it's stupid.  

What? He DIDN'T want a leader eight days ago and now decides he needs one, so he announces something he already knew but didn't want to say?  

Or was it that he did want a leader, but couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to name one or not?  

The timing is just ridiculous.  It's dumber than Tim James' all-English ads.

We're still 0-fer on reasonable explanations.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:30:23 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »

I'm sorry, but that answer is stupid on Chizik's part.  He decided this a couple of weeks after practice was over?  Even if it's true, it's stupid.  

What? He DIDN'T want a leader eight days ago and now decides he needs one, so he announces something he already knew but didn't want to say?  

Or was it that he did want a leader, but couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to name one or not?  

Sorry, but it makes sense to me. 

He wasn't 100% sure that he wanted to name Cam Newton as the starter.  He did want leadership at the QB position throughout the summer.  He discussed it with Malzahn, and they were both 90% on Newton.  Therefore, hey named him the starter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »

Agreed that the timing is weird but I don't know if there's really anything you can read into it good or bad.  A lot of possibilities.  Coaches took a break for a few days after spring then got busy with Tiger Prowl...Malzahn had the stomach flu...Chizik found a young co-ed to shack up with for a few days....Trooper had jury duty....Jacobs was using the film room to watch porn.....or Chizik just said, "Oh fuck it, I'm tired of fielding questions about it".

The possibilities are endless.  Strange timing, I agree but I can't really see a problem with it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 04:46:50 PM »
Strange timing, I agree but I can't really see a problem with it.

Beyond the fact that it's fucking weird-o and gives people shit to jack us about... 

If they were going to do it, it seems they could have had this conversation two weeks ago and made the decision then.  The "we're not going to name a number one" followed by "our number one is..." a few days later looks as dumb as NBC and its Leno/Conan deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions