Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cameron Newton named #1 QB

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Cameron Newton named #1 QB
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »
Beyond the fact that it's phuking weird-o and gives people poop to jack us about... 

If they were going to do it, it seems they could have had this conversation two weeks ago and made the decision then.  The "we're not going to name a number one" followed by "our number one is..." a few days later looks as dumb as NBC and its Leno/Conan deal.

Wait, what happened to Conan?  Not sure what effect it will really have but I'm with ya' on the 180 thing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
I'm asking a question.  Not making something out of nothing.  

Yes, you are.

I'm sorry, but that answer is stupid on Chizik's part.  He decided this a couple of weeks after practice was over?  Even if it's true, it's stupid.  

What? He DIDN'T want a leader eight days ago and now decides he needs one, so he announces something he already knew but didn't want to say?  

Or was it that he did want a leader, but couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to name one or not?  

The timing is just ridiculous.  It's dumber than Tim James' all-English ads.

We're still 0-fer on reasonable explanations.

Here's the real question:  Why the fuck does it matter to you?  Just looking for another reason to bash Chizik?

Beyond the fact that it's fucking weird-o and gives people shit to jack us about... 

If this is what someone will use to bash Auburn, then I'd say we're in pretty fucking good shape.  It's a non-issue no matter how hard you work to make it one.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:00:10 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 04:58:51 PM »
Yes, you are.

Here's the real question:  Why the fuck does it matter to you?  Just looking for another reason to bash Chizik?

It's Auburn. 

Go fuck a duck. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »

Go fuck a duck. 

You hold that fucker still and I will fuck the quack out of him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 05:26:45 PM »
Kaos, I think you're making way too big of a deal out of something that's really not important (to anyone that IS important).

You keep saying things like "you would think...blah, blah, blah", or "why not blah, blah, blah".  I'm guessing Chizik cares as much about what you or anyone thinks about the timing as much as he cares what color your socks are.

They named him now because they wanted to name him now.  You're biggest (by far) reason that it's soooo stupid seems to be only because you don't understand it.  Just because you don't know "why" doesn't make it stupid.  I would bet a sum equal to the national budget that our coaches could, if they wanted to, walk you through the entire thought process and how it went down from day one up until yesterday.  All along the way there is logic and reason as to why things have gone exactly the way they have gone.

We aren't privy to that information.  That makes us stupid, not them.  How much do you know about how this whole process has taken place?  2% of all there is to know?  3%?  It can't be more because practices have been closed, A-Day showed us nothing, and no one has been talking.  Everything else has been behind closed doors by the only people that know 100% about what has been going on.  Are we that narcissistic that we think we're in position to call them "stupid" because they chose to announce the starter ten days after Spring practice and not in the middle of spring, at the end of spring, or at A-Day?  What the hell difference does it matter?

And if your answer is because some Woodpecker reporter may say bad things about us, well, that's weak, because that guy should also know that he too knows no more than 3% of all there is to know about this situation.   So if he wants to put his ignorance in print for all to read....let him.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:30:35 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Ogre

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »
Kaos, I think you're making way too big of a deal out of something that's really not important (to anyone that IS important).

Yep.

How much do you know about how this whole process has taken place?  2% of all there is to know?  3%?  It can't be more because practices have been closed, A-Day showed us nothing, and no one has been talking.  Everything else has been behind closed doors by the only people that know 100% about what has been going on.  

Didn't you get the memo?  Kaos knows everything, has owned and/or been employed in every type of business known to man.

Are we that narcissistic that we think we're in position to call them "stupid"

If by "we" you mean Kaos, then "yes".  Emphatically yes.

What the hell difference does it matter?

And if your answer is because some Woodpecker reporter may say bad things about us, well, that's weak, because that guy should also know that he too knows no more than 3% of all there is to know about this situation.   So if he wants to put his ignorance in print for all to read....let him.

This guy gets it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »
Kaos, I think you're making way too big of a deal out of something that's really not important (to anyone that IS important)....AWESOME POST... So if he wants to put his ignorance in print for all to read....let him.

You are TOTALLY forgiven for being a Cowboymolester fan.  EXCELLENT summation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »

You keep saying things like "you would think...blah, blah, blah", or "why not blah, blah, blah".  I'm guessing Chizik cares as much about what you or anyone thinks about the timing as much as he cares what color your socks are.

They named him now because they wanted to name him now.  You're biggest (by far) reason that it's soooo stupid seems to be only because you don't understand it.  Just because you don't know "why" doesn't make it stupid.  I would bet a sum equal to the national budget that our coaches could, if they wanted to, walk you through the entire thought process and how it went down from day one up until yesterday.  All along the way there is logic and reason as to why things have gone exactly the way they have gone.

We aren't privy to that information.  That makes us stupid, not them.  How much do you know about how this whole process has taken place?  2% of all there is to know?  3%?  It can't be more because practices have been closed, A-Day showed us nothing, and no one has been talking.  Everything else has been behind closed doors by the only people that know 100% about what has been going on.  Are we that narcissistic that we think we're in position to call them "stupid" because they chose to announce the starter ten days after Spring practice and not in the middle of spring, at the end of spring, or at A-Day?  What the hell difference does it matter?

Asked a simple goddamn question.  Made a simple goddamn observation. 

Got a bunch of extraneous bullshit about what a great quarterback Cam was going to be, how his cannon arm and electric feet were going to free us from bondage and how he was going to slay dragons with his gleaming smile. 

The timing seems odd.  it's stupid to do it that way in my opinion.  THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT. 

Fuck you Wes, I didn't claim to know one single GODDAMN thing, you ignorant ass.  In fact, in this case it was pretty obvious I didn't know or understand what in the fuck the coaches were doing. 

Make any excuse or justification you want, but the manner in which this was handled was weird. 

And here's a summation that's pretty fucking appropriate:

:fu:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »

Asked a simple goddamn question.  Made a simple goddamn observation.  

Got a bunch of extraneous bullshit about what a great quarterback Cam was going to be, how his cannon arm and electric feet were going to free us from bondage and how he was going to slay dragons with his gleaming smile.  
I've never heard anyone say anything about electric feet (not really sure what the fuck that is), freeing us from bondage (sounds like a bit of a stretch) or slaying dragons with his gleaming smile (and the real Dork comes out....dragons, LMAO)
Kaos is a guest now....AAHHHAHAHA!!!

Coach Chizik and Coach Malzahn wanted a, one, QB to get that connection with the WRs over the Summer and have that Starting Leadership throughout the Summer workouts.  How, or why is that so hard to understand.  Hell, I knew that without having to read it anywhere else, I guess that I figured everyone else would understand that as well...especially someone that has coached Heisman winners and NFL Hall of Fame members.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »
Okay, I had to chime in with my two cents:

Why does it matter when the #1 is named right now? Even my wife, after reading and hearing all the hoopla the press was making out of this, was wondered the same thing. Why does a #1 even have to be named after spring practice at all? What is more important, having a #1 after spring practice or having a starter ready for September 4, 2010?

I guess I just don't understand all the media coverage about this whole thing. While some may look at it as a negative thing, maybe Trotter, Caudle, and Newton were all so dang good that it was too close to call? Maybe it was just like Chizik said...he wanted a leader over the summer, but also wanted it made clear that Newton's spot was not secure and the other guys are still being considered for the starting job. I can understand the philosophy behind that. The late announcement makes them all think that the coaches are not heavily biased towards any one of them, so Newton knows he has to keep working hard to keep his spot because he knows the other guys are going to work even harder to take his spot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »
You are TOTALLY forgiven for being a Cowboymolester fan.  EXCELLENT summation.

I didnt know JA was a Boys fan.

Thought it was just me, sweets and WE!!!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 08:03:27 AM »
Okay, I had to chime in with my two cents:

Why does it matter when the #1 is named right now? Even my wife, after reading and hearing all the hoopla the press was making out of this, was wondered the same thing. Why does a #1 even have to be named after spring practice at all? What is more important, having a #1 after spring practice or having a starter ready for September 4, 2010?

I guess I just don't understand all the media coverage about this whole thing. While some may look at it as a negative thing, maybe Trotter, Caudle, and Newton were all so dang good that it was too close to call? Maybe it was just like Chizik said...he wanted a leader over the summer, but also wanted it made clear that Newton's spot was not secure and the other guys are still being considered for the starting job. I can understand the philosophy behind that. The late announcement makes them all think that the coaches are not heavily biased towards any one of them, so Newton knows he has to keep working hard to keep his spot because he knows the other guys are going to work even harder to take his spot.

Where the fuck you been?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2010, 08:12:52 AM »
Where the phuk you been?

Apparently listening to reason:
Even my wife, after reading and hearing all the hoopla the press was making out of this, was wondered the same thing. Why does a #1 even have to be named after spring practice at all? What is more important, having a #1 after spring practice or having a starter ready for September 4, 2010?

Great point by the way. It doesn't really matter now because I think we all knew who the starting QB was going to be. The press fellas just need something to chew on until another bama player gets arrested.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »

Asked a simple goddamn question.  Made a simple goddamn observation. 

Got a bunch of extraneous bullpoop about what a great quarterback Cam was going to be, how his cannon arm and electric feet were going to free us from bondage and how he was going to slay dragons with his gleaming smile. 

The timing seems odd.  it's stupid to do it that way in my opinion.  THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT. 

phuk you Wes, I didn't claim to know one single GODDAMN thing, you ignorant ass.  In fact, in this case it was pretty obvious I didn't know or understand what in the phuk the coaches were doing. 

Make any excuse or justification you want, but the manner in which this was handled was weird. 

And here's a summation that's pretty phuking appropriate:

damn Kaos, your not mad are you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2010, 09:38:52 AM »

Asked a simple goddamn question.  Made a simple goddamn observation.  

The timing seems odd.  it's stupid to do it that way in my opinion.  THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT.  

Fuck you Wes, I didn't claim to know one single GODDAMN thing, you ignorant ass.  In fact, in this case it was pretty obvious I didn't know or understand what in the fuck the coaches were doing.  

And here's a summation that's pretty fucking appropriate:

Again, admittedly, it's odd timing, but in the end it's like you said...it's fodder for those that really badly need something, ANYTHING to pick at, and dissect for no good reason at all.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:39:35 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2010, 09:44:49 AM »
damn Kaos, your not mad are you?

He's guest'd out....   :blink:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2010, 09:48:08 AM »
It's apparent that either Kaos, or his wife, had enough of the bullshit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »
Just curious...what press are you guys reading? I've seen nothing but positive stories on this...

Absolutely scathing...
http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/04/scarbinsky_au_makes_qb_call_th.html

Scarbinsky: AU makes QB call the right way for a change
By Kevin Scarbinsky -- The Birmingham News
April 30, 2010, 5:30AM

Cameron Newton is off and running as Auburn's No. 1 quarterback. (The Birmingham News / Frank Couch)Cameron Newton is going to be Auburn’s starting quarterback? Get out. Really?

I’ll take Foregone Conclusions for $200, Alex.

Auburn’s decision to name a No. 1 quarterback 11 days after the spring game turned no heads but made it clear that cooler heads are in charge.

Consider the program’s progression at the most important position on the field.

Two years ago, Tommy Tuberville and Tony Franklin couldn’t decide by the season opener between Kodi Burns and Chris Todd.

By the season’s midpoint, Tuberville decided to fire Franklin. By season’s end, Auburn decided to say goodbye to Tuberville.

Last year, Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn couldn’t decide between Burns and Neil Caudle in the spring, and then needed just nine days in August to bypass both in favor of Todd.

For all the good things the surgically repaired Todd did, that quarterback battle seemed more a process of elimination than a true competition.

Now the Tigers have stepped on the gas and anointed a first-time starter before Mother’s Day.

Assuming the junior Newton stays and plays two seasons, at its current pace, Auburn will name its 2012 starter by Labor Day.

Come to think of it, if one of the school’s hotshot prospects commits in the interim, that prediction may not be far off.

In a sense, Auburn named Newton the starter the day Auburn signed him. It’s a cliche because it’s true. No one brings in a juco QB to sit and watch.

But the ever-faithful Caudle and the hopeful Barrett Trotter gave Chizik and Malzahn real choices, and not between evils.

If the spring game showed little of Newton, it showed enough of the Birmingham boys to suggest that the new guy didn’t win the spot by default.

The bounce going forward is that Malzahn can open his full playbook with Newton. The play-caller doesn’t have to protect his starter for fear that, if he goes down on a read-option, he’ll take the season with him.

Stan White has done enough at Auburn, as a former four-year starter, and seen enough behind closed doors, as the Auburn Network analyst, to know that his old school goes more than one deep at his old position for the first time in years.

White said he didn’t want to put words in the coaches’ mouths, "but I think they feel they’ve got some quarterbacks where there’s really not much drop-off, if any."

Some quarterbacks? At Auburn? At the same time?

That’s some change.

As is an efficient quarterback competition. Chizik and Malzahn made the decision in the best possible way. Gradually, then suddenly.

They put the quarterbacks through 15 workouts, 14 of which were no doubt more instructive than the spring game the rest of us got to see.

"They gave each player more than ample reps," White said.

The coaches did the opposite of what Malzahn advised us after A-Day. They read something into everything. Scrimmages and drills. Meetings and film sessions. Tangibles and intangibles.

One example: We saw Newton go 3 for 8 in the spring game, missing an open receiver in the end zone. Twice. Meanwhile, Chizik just praised Newton for his accuracy in the spring.

Clearly, he had more data.

Having made their call, the coaches told the quarterbacks, and then told the rest of the team, and then told the world. It was the right order, and in short order.

If anyone wanted to write a book titled "How to Avoid a Quarterback Controversy," Chizik and Malzahn just wrote chapters 1-3.

Let it be said that a spring decision on a starting quarterback guarantees nothing come the fall. Newton still has to "continue on this path," as Chizik said, and the rest of the team has to follow.

But now the team has someone to follow.

"He gives us the best chance to win," Chizik said.

Duh? Uh, no. Not at Auburn. For too long, too many coaches there have chosen too many quarterbacks who gave them the best chance not to lose.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:30:33 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »
However, I will note that Evan Dingleberry is a cock.

We've got to do something about having this asshole as our beatwriter.

Auburn's strategy of visiting high schools with a full complement of assistant coaches in tricked-out vehicles will apparently come to an end this week.

New NCAA rules finalized on Thursday say that no more than two coaches from any college may visit a high school during the spring evaluation period.

Per the report in the Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald, the NCAA legislative council said the change was needed because "multiple coaches are appearing at the high schools of the prospective student-athletes just as much to be seen as to actually conduct an evaluation. Many institutions are unnecessarily expending resources in order to have multiple assistant coaches attend these evaluations as a result of the perceived recruiting benefit."

The spring evaluation period is ostensibly for meeting with high school coaches, administrators and guidance counselors in order to "evaluate" a potential student-athlete. Coaches are not allowed to actually make contact with the prospect.

Auburn's inaugural recruiting push in the spring of 2009 was dubbed the Tiger Prowl. Head coach Gene Chizik said it's not called that anymore.

Yeah, I know it wasn't Finebaum-esque, but he knows that it's his job to speak favorably of Auburn, so his jabs are much more subtle. "Tricked out vehicles"? Sounds like a bammer on an al.com comments section. And that last paragraph?

I want that asshole fired, or at least transferred off the Auburn beat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions