Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Misguided? Really??? Seriously???????

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Misguided? Really??? Seriously???????
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
Who would have thought we'd ever need laws to start enforcing the laws that already exist in this country? 

Ariz. governor signs immigration bill into law
Measure Obama called 'misguided' has raised concern of civil rights backers

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a new state immigration bill that President Barack Obama called "misguided" hours earlier.

Brewer, saying that the state had been "more than patient waiting for Washington to act" on the issue of illegal immigration, said that the bill would protect Arizona citizens without violating individuals' constitutional rights.

The sweeping legislation makes it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It also requires local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36735281/ns/politics

I'm willing to bet that the beta-males on the board are going to call this "redneck" too. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Token

Re: Misguided? Really??? Seriously???????
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:54:22 PM »
It also requires local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants...

Without federal funding, that won't last very long. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:16:13 AM »
Who would have thought we'd ever need laws to start enforcing the laws that already exist in this country? 
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36735281/ns/politics

I'm willing to bet that the beta-males on the board are going to call this "redneck" too. 
This is going to get torn apart. 

State says illegal immigrants can't be in the country...Hmmm...Preemption...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:14:59 AM »
This is going to get torn apart. 

State says illegal immigrants can't be in the country...Hmmm...Preemption...

Do I need to define the word "illegal" for you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 08:29:38 AM »
I agree with both the Arizona governor and Obama on this one. 

The reason Arizona is having such a problem with illegal immigration is because the federal government has failed to secure the border and enforce the laws that are in place.  Because of that irresponsibility, the state has decided to enact a law that ignores civil rights in order to protect their economy, crime rate, and reputation. 

I'm willing to bet that this bill will help start negotiations on how to fairly handle the immigration problem in Arizona.  We all know the federal government (especially when run by Democrats) will do everything in their power to appease minorities and the lower class.  Hopefully the discussions stemmed from this will lead to a constructive solution that's applicable to the other states (Alabama) affected by an influx of illegal immigrants. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GarMan

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »
I agree with both the Arizona governor and Obama on this one. 

The reason Arizona is having such a problem with illegal immigration is because the federal government has failed to secure the border and enforce the laws that are in place.  Because of that irresponsibility, the state has decided to enact a law that ignores civil rights in order to protect their economy, crime rate, and reputation. 

Wait...  Civil Rights?  Really??? 

I have an idea.  Why don't we just enforce the laws that already exist?  I know that's a radical concept, especially with the current regime in DC, but it would solve so many problems. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:17:51 AM »
Wait...  Civil Rights?  Really??? 

I have an idea.  Why don't we just enforce the laws that already exist?  I know that's a radical concept, especially with the current regime in DC, but it would solve so many problems. 

They won't.  You know that.  I know that.  It's silly to go on saying "if they'd just enforce the existing laws!" because we all know they aren't going to. 

I think it's a great idea to enact this law.  It DOES promote racial profiling.  And it also causes some other issues concerning the freedom of American citizens.  I mean, imagine an American citizen getting pulled over because he's hispanic and drives a piece of shit car.  They demand to see his papers; he says his grandparents immigrated legally to the United States.  A big hassle ensues, and he goes on about his business. 

If that happened to you or any other regular American citizen, you'd be pissed. 

Hopefully the guys in Washington will come down to save the day and compromise with a new law that truly gets the job done.  Maybe it's just a pipe dream I have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Token

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:43:49 AM »
They won't.  You know that.  I know that.  It's silly to go on saying "if they'd just enforce the existing laws!" because we all know they aren't going to. 

I think it's a great idea to enact this law.  It DOES promote racial profiling.  And it also causes some other issues concerning the freedom of American citizens.  I mean, imagine an American citizen getting pulled over because he's hispanic and drives a piece of shit car.  They demand to see his papers; he says his grandparents immigrated legally to the United States.  A big hassle ensues, and he goes on about his business. 

Hopefully the guys in Washington will come down to save the day and compromise with a new law that truly gets the job done.  Maybe it's just a pipe dream I have.

I truly believe we are beyond the realm of creating a solid immigration law that is effective.  If the American tax payers knew the amount of tax dollars wasted by the Immigration Customs Enforcement, they would be seriously pissed.  It's a pipe dream, and it will cost the state of Arizona much more than the tax payers are willing or should be asked to spend for law enforcement officers to arrest/detain any person(s) to be in violation of the their immigration law. 

Within a weeks time, most local jails in the state would have overcrowding problems as it is a long and drawn out process to determine if one is legally in the country.  Even if it only took 3-5 days worth of paper shuffling to determine if the person was legal, that's 3-5 days worth of housing and feeding people that most jails are budgeted to feed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »
Illegal = No rights.

Constitution applies to citizens. Not foreign invaders.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »

GarMan scoffs at this notion. Don't you know boy? It would never happen to him cause he's a natural white 'merican.

You're assuming he has the ability to empathize with someone of a different race, religion, sexuality, nationality, etc.

Cue some comment about Oprah.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Illegal = No rights.

Constitution applies to citizens. Not foreign invaders.
Don't get me wrong. I agree with this post.

The problem is the American citizens that you're racially profiling to find the illegal ones.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
I truly believe we are beyond the realm of creating a solid immigration law that is effective.  If the American tax payers knew the amount of tax dollars wasted by the Immigration Customs Enforcement, they would be seriously pissed.  It's a pipe dream, and it will cost the state of Arizona much more than the tax payers are willing or should be asked to spend for law enforcement officers to arrest/detain any person(s) to be in violation of the their immigration law. 

Within a weeks time, most local jails in the state would have overcrowding problems as it is a long and drawn out process to determine if one is legally in the country.  Even if it only took 3-5 days worth of paper shuffling to determine if the person was legal, that's 3-5 days worth of housing and feeding people that most jails are budgeted to feed. 
This.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »
I think it's a great idea to enact this law.  It DOES promote racial profiling.  And it also causes some other issues concerning the freedom of American citizens.  I mean, imagine an American citizen getting pulled over because he's hispanic and drives a piece of poop car.  They demand to see his papers; he says his grandparents immigrated legally to the United States.  A big hassle ensues, and he goes on about his business. 

There's NOTHING wrong with racial profiling.  It always pisses me off when shuffling through airport security to see them pull the 72 year old, lilly white grandmother over to the side for additional screening, while they wave through the guy with a turban and the bitch in a burka. 

This isn't going to cause any problems in Arizona.  A lot of the folks look hispanic out there.  I doubt they'll become some police state giving eveyone a "big hassle" at every opportunity. 

Nope!  Not at all!!!  I've got nothing to hide, and I've got nothing to worry about.  It wouldn't be a hassle at all.

Yeah...  Maybe, if this was magical, unicorn, fairytale land where clean energy makes the world go round...  The Democrats will NEVER let anything substantial happen to counter or prevent illegal immigration.  They would risk too many constituents. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
There's NOTHING wrong with racial profiling.  It always pisses me off when shuffling through airport security to see them pull the 72 year old, lilly white grandmother over to the side for additional screening, while they wave through the guy with a turban and the bitch in a burka. 
Except those pesky fourth and fourteenth amendments...

I'm sure you don't think those apply to racial profiling. I look forward to your caveman explanation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »
GarMan scoffs at this notion. Don't you know boy? It would never happen to him cause he's a natural white 'merican.

You're assuming he has the ability to empathize with someone of a different race, religion, sexuality, nationality, etc.

Cue some comment about Oprah. 

Does a "natural white 'merican" even exist anymore?  Once again, you couldn't be further from reality, buttercup.  My grandparents on my mother's side came to this country in the 30's, and they did it the legal way.  They both pursued and attained their citizenship, and they both learned American-English.  They adopted American culture and kept their native culture to themselves.  And, don't even get me started on the mutts on my father's side...

You see, I have absolutely no problem "with someone of a different race, religion, sexuality, nationality, etc." as long as you don't affect me and do whatever you do legally.  That's it!  There's nothing more to it. 

So, retreat back to your CNN and look for the latest marching orders from your Janeane Garofalo...  Call us tea-baggers and whatever else suits your enlightened mood-of-the-day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 12:38:34 PM »
Except those pesky fourth and fourteenth amendments...

I'm sure you don't think those apply to racial profiling. I look forward to your caveman explanation. 
Well, they shouldn't, but we all know how that "enlightened" point of view has stretched reason beyond all rational bounds.  This is going to be like when a cop pulls an African American over in a predominantly African American neighborhood in LA.  Somehow, it's racial profiling.  It doesn't matter that the officer is African American as well.  He must be following the wicked orders of his "white, Christian, devil" leaders... 

Of course, there's likely a high percentage of Hispanic law enforcement personnel out in Arizona.  If they happen to question another Hispanic about their citizenship, I'm sure that your kind will scream "racial profiling", repaint your rainbow laden parade floats and head out to Phoenix for a civil rights march. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 02:22:07 AM »
Hundreds...   :rofl:

Hundreds protest immigration law in ArizonaBy the CNN Wire Staff
April 25, 2010 9:26 p.m. EDT

Phoenix, Arizona (CNN) -- Hundreds of people gathered outside Arizona's Capitol building on Sunday in a largely peaceful protest against the state's tough new immigration law.

Chanting "Yes we can," waving American flags and holding signs reading "We have rights" and "We are human," demonstrators kept up a festive spirit as they denounced the bill signed Friday by Gov. Jan Brewer.

The new law requires police to determine whether a person is in the United States legally. It also requires immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and requires police to question people if there is reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally.

Protesters worry that the law will foster racial profiling.

"What is 'reasonable suspicion?' " protester Jose Acosta asked Sunday. "Are we going to get pulled over just because of a broken taillight or because of the color of our skin? ... If so, is everybody going to be pulled over?"

Kearny Police Chief Joe Martinez called critics' concerns unfounded, saying the Arizona law enforcement community includes a large number of Hispanics.... 

Absolutely ridiculous... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the law, but...

On it's face, it is unconstitutional and will be struck down.  Sorry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Ogre

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the law, but...

On it's face, it is unconstitutional and will be struck down.  Sorry.

So it's unconstitutional to enact a law that upholds an existing law? 

I have no doubt that some activist judge will rule it unconstitutional, but I would just like to know how it is unconstitutional to protect our borders.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »
So it's unconstitutional to enact a law that upholds an existing law? 

I have no doubt that some activist judge will rule it unconstitutional, but I would just like to know how it is unconstitutional to protect our borders.
To be very simplistic, Border Patrol/National Security/Immigration is a federal power.  1.  They do not have the authority to enact such a law and 2. State laws are preempted by federal laws.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:57:55 AM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions