Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Misguided? Really??? Seriously???????

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Misguided? Really??? Seriously???????
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »
So it's unconstitutional to enact a law that upholds an existing law? 

I have no doubt that some activist judge will rule it unconstitutional, but I would just like to know how it is unconstitutional to protect our borders.
By all means, beef up border security (although any solution I've heard of thus far, i.e. border walls, etc. are a lost cause). That's not what's unconstitutional.

Unreasonable search and seizure without probable cause is prohibited by the fourth amendment. Since the majority of Hispanics, even in Arizona, are legal, their race is not probable cause. Furthermore, under the fourteenth amendment, all US citizens are to be treated equally by law. As mentioned, there are a shitload of legal Hispanic US Citizens whose rights would be violated by a law like this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
"What is 'reasonable suspicion?' " protester Jose Acosta asked Sunday. "Are we going to get pulled over just because of a broken taillight or because of the color of our skin? ... If so, is everybody going to be pulled over?"

This is the kind of think that drives me crazy.  IF Jose Acosta IS pulled over for having a broken tail light, he is AUTOMATICALLY crying race.  I've been pulled over a couple times here in San Antonio (where, as a white guy, I'm a minority) for not having my front license plate on my wife's Audi (as required in Texas).  When I was pulled over, the cop asked for my driver's license.  

Had Jose been pulled over for the exact same thing, it would only be because he's Hispanic?  We're talking about Arizona, where over 30% of the population is of Hispanic origin....are we saying that nearly 1 in 3 people in Arizona are not allowed to be pulled over?  And if they are, do they not have to have a state issued driver's license (since they are driving)?  If they have no license, is it not appropriate to ask them for further ID or proof of legal presence in our country?  Is expecting a non-white American to live by the law racial profiling now?  

I can see one problem, as Token mentioned, about overcrowding and logistical issues.  But it's this very issue that I think would keep local law enforcement from abusing this law and going out of their way to act like Border Patrol officers.  If nothing else, this may create more cooperation between local law and Border Patrol.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 12:10:48 PM »

Unreasonable search and seizure without probable cause is prohibited by the fourth amendment. Since the majority of Hispanics, even in Arizona, are legal, their race is not probable cause. Furthermore, under the fourteenth amendment, all US citizens are to be treated equally by law. As mentioned, there are a poopload of legal Hispanic US Citizens whose rights would be violated by a law like this.

Clarify this for me.  Does this law suggest or encourage "unreasonable search and seizure"?  If anyone, white, Hispanic, or other, is pulled over, is it a violation of their rights to ask them to show ID?  Isn't that pretty standard for any law officer in any situation?  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:22:38 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
To be very simplistic, Border Patrol/National Security/Immigration is a federal power.  1.  They do not have the authority to enact such a law and 2. State laws are preempted by federal laws.

I know you have me by about 1000% on the subject of law, so these are honest questions.

If you are a local law enforcement officer in Iowa, and you pull over someone who has no driver's license, no other form of ID, are you not legally allowed to pursue questioning about their citizenship just because they are breaking a federal law?  Don't local guys have a responsibility to assist in the upholding of federal laws? 

Also, I know federal law trumps state law, but is there anything in this law that actually conflicts with federal law?  Is this in any way contradictory to federal immigration laws? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »
Also, I know federal law trumps state law, but is there anything in this law that actually conflicts with federal law?  Is this in any way contradictory to federal immigration laws? 

It doesn't have to contradict federal law.  The premise is essentially:  if the feds have a law covering the subject, then the state law is superfluous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jadennis

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
It doesn't have to contradict federal law.  The premise is essentially:  if the feds have a law covering the subject, then the state law is superfluous.

But don't states have all kinds of laws that are in addition to federal law?  For example, there may be federal safety standards on gas distribution lines/pipes, etc, but in certain states, or even certain municipalities, those safety regulations may be more strict, extending beyond the federal "minimums" or federal law regarding that subject. 

Maybe that's not the case, but I just feel like I've seen such things (where a state law extends beyond federal "minimums" or standards on certain subjects.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
Clarify this for me.  Does this law suggest or encourage "unreasonable search and seizure"?  If anyone, white, Hispanic, or other, is pulled over, is it a violation of their rights to ask them to show ID?  Isn't that pretty standard for any law officer in any situation?  

Showing ID is not really the problem. If I get pulled over because they want to make sure I'm legal and it just happens to be the night that I had three glasses of wine with dinner...I'm gonna be pissed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »
Yep.

Here is the thing, you can make a more strict law than the federal law as long as it's within constitutional bounds.  However, in this case, the Federal Government has a specific Bureau that handles these matters...by Federal Legislation. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
Do you really think they're going to be equally pulling over white, black, or Asian people as they are Hispanics, to randomly check to make sure they didn't illegally immigrate from the Mexican border?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:26:16 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 01:52:10 PM »
Unreasonable search and seizure without probable cause is prohibited by the fourth amendment. Since the majority of Hispanics, even in Arizona, are legal, their race is not probable cause. Furthermore, under the fourteenth amendment, all US citizens are to be treated equally by law. As mentioned, there are a poopload of legal Hispanic US Citizens whose rights would be violated by a law like this.  

Complete bastardization of our Constitution...  So, how is this any different than getting pulled over for speeding or a broken tail light and subsequently being charged with DUI?  It's the same damn tactic.  The officer doesn't have to say he looked Mexican, Cuban or Canadian.  All they have to do is ask everyone for proof that they're here legally.  

Is it racial profiling when you see them floating into Biscayne Bay in a make-shift raft? 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:26:29 PM by GarMan »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »
Yeah. Here ya go.

"It's going to change our lives," said Emilio Almodovar, a 13-year-old American citizen from Phoenix. "We can't walk to school any more. We can't be in the streets anymore without the pigs thinking we're illegal immigrants."

This kid may be legal, but are his parents? If so, don't you think they would appreciate the "PIGS" keeping society safer than if there were no "PIGS"? I wonder if the "PIGS" were nicer back in old Mexico?

Illegal immigrants are invaders and spies in a foreign land. What should we do with spies?

And I didn't see where the law gave the officers the right to pull someone over just for looking illegal. It sounds like it made it OK to question someone if you needed to. Many states do not allow the officers to even ask for papers, even for rape or murder. Maybe this will help get rid of the rapist or murderer before they can commit the act in our country.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GarMan

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »
Meanwhile, back in Washington, DC, the enlightened ones...

April 26, 2010 1:32 PM

Obama Security Adviser Apologizes for Jewish Joke
By Michael McAuliff

President Obama’s national security adviser, Gen. Jim Jones, is apologizing for opening a speech to a pro-Israeli think tank with a joke about greedy Jewish merchants.

The opening quip to the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, first reported by The Forward, went over reasonably well with the heavily Jewish crowd, but not everyone was amused.

The Anti-Defamation League, for one, complained, and today, Jones says he’s sorry.

“I wish that I had not made this off the cuff joke at the top of my remarks, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it,” Jones said in a statement. “It also distracted from the larger message I carried that day: that the United States commitment to Israel’s security is sacrosanct.”

The Forward’s blog, The Schmooze, notes that the joke is not in the White House’s transcript of the event, or in the institute’s video, available here.

So it offered the recounting, here:
A Taliban militant gets lost and is wandering around the desert looking for water. He finally arrives at a store run by a Jew and asks for water. The Jewish vendor tells him he doesn’t have any water but can gladly sell him a tie. The Taliban, the jokes goes on, begins to curse and yell at the Jewish storeowner. The Jew, unmoved, offers the rude militant an idea: Beyond the hill, there is a restaurant; they can sell you water. The Taliban keeps cursing and finally leaves toward the hill. An hour later he’s back at the tie store. He walks in and tells the merchant: “Your brother tells me I need a tie to get into the restaurant.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2010/04/obama-security-adviser-apologi.html

Tough crowd.  He should have told a Mexican joke...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »

Unless such state law has higher standards than the federal one. 

ie. Federal OSHA regulations vs.  State OSHA regulations say like in the state of California.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 02:40:01 PM »
Unless such state law has higher standards than the federal one. 

ie. Federal OSHA regulations vs.  State OSHA regulations say like in the state of California.

We already caused a war over this very thing. Except that now it's being taught as being ONLY about slavery.

Are states' rights something that we will have a war over every 100 years or so?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GarMan

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 02:55:42 PM »
This thread is a perfect example of what's so fucked up about all this.

First, it's a crisis situation on the Arizona border.  This isn't everyday immigration issues type problems.  This isn't migrant workers trying to take jobs in the fields.  This is about Americans being in danger, and not shit has been done about it.  Or at least not until it becomes politically prudent.  Meanwhile, there's murder, drive by's and intentional harm being done on the streets of Phoenix and Tuscan.  Not fucking Mexico City, Mexico....US soil. 

If Obama, or the the federal body wanted to secure the border, they could, and they could in a heart beat.  However, they're not.  They're too focused on Goldman Sachs, and Healthcare and how do they recover from the horseshit policies they've forced through over the past six months.  Why is Arizona FORCED to do this in the face of a government that has for all intentions, abandoned them to deal with it with their hands tied?

Those that ignore the crisis angle are the ones that are crying foul, and only focusing on the civil rights aspect of this.

Take off the fucking blinders and if it's so unconstitutional, find ways to get the fucking morons in Washington to get their dicks out of the fucking political mule and do something about it.  It's their jobs.

This isn't about being racist, it's about keeping drug cartels and all the major violence out of Arizona as it's now out of fucking control.  that's something Repulicans, Democrats, and everyone else should agree on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »
This isn't about being racist, it's about keeping drug cartels and all the major violence out of Arizona as it's now out of fucking control.  that's something Repulicans, Democrats, and everyone else should agree on.

Rather than treating the symptom, let's treat the cause:

Legalize it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »

Legalize it.

I hear ya.  Don't have a problem with that whole debate. 

I do however think that it's still a long term solution (if a solution in total for that matter).  In the short term, there needs to be definintive action by our federal government, and we're not seeing it.  Arizona has been put in a situation where they are forced to act, and the only response by the President thus far is a suggested inquiry into the legality of it all?  Really?  Okay, so what else Mr. President?  Kill this effort and people continue to die.  So what do you tell the people of Arizona that continue to suffer?  I hear nothing.

I have to, sorry, but I have to believe that the innaction on the government side, is politically motivated.   How else can you explain virtually no action in light of the recent violence?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »

Legalize it.
It?  Are we seriously calling for legalization of everything now, or are we under the fantasy-land impression that these drug cartels only smuggle fruit, sugar cane, frozen pizzas and occasionaly Marijuana (aka that-safer-than-alcohol-drug)?

Thursday, April 22, 2010

DEA nabs 4 Mexican drug cartel leaders
Men plead guilty to coordinating distribution, sales in Texas
By Jerry Seper

The leadership of a Mexican drug cartel operating in Dallas has been dismantled by a Drug Enforcement Administration-led task force with guilty pleas from four U.S.-based cell leaders and two associates tied to La Familia, a violent Mexico-based gang that killed 20 Mexican federal police and military officers in attacks last year.

Cell leaders Ricardo Hernandez-Cruz, 37; Edgar Gomez-Huerta, 31; Balmer Valencia Bernabe, 34; and Martin Alvarado-Cruz, 33, have pleaded guilty as part of a continuing law enforcement initiative known as Project Coronado, in which nearly 100 La Familia members tied to a drug smuggling and distribution operation in Dallas were arrested. All four await sentencing in U.S. District Court.

La Familia, or "the Family," is one of the Mexican government's highest priorities in its often deadly war against drug-trafficking gangs. Formerly allied with the infamous Gulf cartel, it split off on its own in 2006. Its boss, Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, has preached his gang's divine right to strike its enemies.

The DEA-led task force penetrated the Dallas organization, according to court records, documenting the receipt and distribution of methamphetamine and cocaine from associates in La Familia's home territory of Michoacan in southwestern Mexico.

"Project Coronado, our massive assault on the La Familia cartel, is part of our continued fight against all of the powerful Mexico-based drug cartels," DEA Acting Administrator Michele M. Leonhart said Wednesday. "This organization, the newest of Mexican cartels, is directly responsible for a vast majority of the methamphetamine pouring into our country across our southwest border and has had a hand in fueling the cycle of violence that is wracking Mexico today."
<snip>
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/22/mexican-drug-cartel-loses-4-leaders-to-dea/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
I have no problem with racial profiling.  If they are here illegally and we are trying to round them up and ship them back, it only makes sense to check the Mexican looking people to find illegal Mexicans.

If we had a Murder fhere in BHam and we know it was committed by a white guy, I have no problem when the cops set up a road block and check out all the whit guys.  I seriously doubt they would catch a white murderer by making sure they stopped just as many black people while looking for the white guy.

If you are here legally and have nothing to hide, show your ID and move on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions