Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Oh wow...I was moved
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
Tony Barbee choked me up.

He said  everything I wanted to hear.

Damn him for making me cry.

I pray he can do half of what he inspired me to believe he can do. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Ogre

Re: Oh wow...I was moved
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:14:35 PM »
Is there an audio or video link to his press conference somewhere? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
Is there an audio or video link to his press conference somewhere? 
No joke. All I've got is James Paul Dice yammering on about a thunderstorm out in the middle of bum-fuck Egypt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:53:37 PM »
Tony Barbee speaks
Hey everyone. Auburn's new coach, Tony Barbee, will hold his introductory press conference at 5 p.m. CST.

I am here. I will post salient information.

* Jay Jacobs: "It's remarkable how he's been able to build them in all three ways of life. As you sat with Tony Barbee, you heard his passion, his vision and his plan for Auburn basketball."

* Barbee: ``War Eagle! I learn quickly. It's a great day to be an Auburn Tiger."

* "It was a very difficult decision to leave UTEP and the players because of how I do it -- it's all about relationships and family. When I looked at Auburn and I looked at this wonderful university ... first class ... and looked at this wonderful community ... first class ... when I looked at this beautiful arena ... that decision because easy to make."

* Referred to Auburn as "the best university in the state of Alabama ... and making it one of the best programs in this conference."

* "Jay, I won't disappoint."

* "I'm a guy that's very thorough and a guy who does his homework."

* "It is my responsibility to live up to that bar that's been raised by all those great athletic programs at this university."

* "There is a precedent ... it has been done before. Why can't it be done again? That's why I'm here. There is noone who is going to out-work my staff and I. I'll work every day to make these players proud, the former players proud, the fans proud."

* He referred to Auburn Arena as the nicest arena in the league ... "and maybe in the country."

* ``The commitment has been made. My commitment to you is to take the program to heights it's never seen before."

* On his style: ``It will be fun. It'll do one thing. I've been to postseason play in 18 of 19 years. I'm madder than heck about that one year. We were starting over at UTEP. This style is built to win in March. It's a team you're going to be seeing play deep into March."

* To former players: "My office, my house and my phone will always be open to you."

* To current players: ``Your idea of fun and my idea of fun might be a little different. It's going to take a lot of hard work, but I've never been afraid of working hard."

* To the incoming recruiting class: ``I'll be getting in touch with you very soon to remind you why Auburn is such a special place."

* "Let's all get on the train."

* "We're going to go after and attract the best players in the country that fit with me, that fit with Auburn University, that fit for what Auburn stands for. We're not going to be afraid to go after the best players in the country."

* "We're going to be recruiting the media for exposure for support, recruiting the community, I'll recruit the student. My responsibility is to rekindle that love affair between the community and this basketball program."

* Scheduling: ``It's built on one thing -- getting into the NCAA Tournament."

* ``I've known John Calipari since I was 14 years old. He was my coach at camp. He's my mentor, he's my friend, he'll always be my coach."

* ``We're going right after Kentucky and we're going right after Coach Calipari. It's not an easy thing to do. Once we catch him, guess where we'll be. We'll be on top."

* "This is the second job in a row that I've taken without visiting. For me -- it's not about bricks and mortar. It's about people. There is a passion here."

* "We're going to apply pressure for 40 minutes. We'll play an up-tempo game ... but it's not helter-skelter. It's not run-and-gun. We'll be disciplined."

* "Everything is in place for you to ... sustain a championship-level program."

* "The success football has had here can only help with basketball."

* "I'm challenging our students. I'm challenging our fan base. We need you. We need each and every one of you there -- every night. It's my job to get the students engaged."

* THAT'S A WRAP

http://jaygtate.blogspot.com/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »
* Referred to Auburn as "the best university in the state of Alabama ... and making it one of the best programs in this conference."

:vn:

He'll fit in nicely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
sounds like a lot of "Coach Speak" to me, right kaos.  Wait, he didn't say "Blueprint".... :rolleyes:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »
http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=aub

Go to free events to see the video.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
sounds like a lot of "Coach Speak" to me, right kaos.  Wait, he didn't say "Blueprint".... :rolleyes:

You are a fucking idiot. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 12:14:51 AM »

Did you even read his post or immediately throw something out there b/c it was a Koas thread?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:44:08 AM »
Did you even read his post or immediately throw something out there b/c it was a Koas thread?
yes, nobody reads Koas's bullshit unless it's about movies or pussy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 01:53:27 AM »
Actually, and ironically (just to piss Kaos off), he did say blueprint during his presser.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 06:27:31 AM »
Actually, and ironically (just to piss Kaos off), he did say blueprint during his presser.
Seriously???  AHHAHAHAHA!!!  Well, kaos sounds like Coach Barbee and Coach Chizik are just about one and the same.

Tony Barbee choked me up.

He said everything I wanted to hear.  (BLUEPRINT)

Damn him for making me cry.

I pray he can do half of what he inspired me to believe he can do. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 09:24:06 AM »
I do find it odd that this was so moving, while every time Chizik opens his mouth (especially in his first six months) Kaos became physically ill.

I don't see much difference in anything Barbee said, and anything Chizik said in his inaugural press conference, yet the  responses from K are night and day.

I was going to let it slide though. No sense in working him up over the first positive post I've seen from him in well over a year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
Back on topic..........

Scarbinsky wrote a pretty good article today.

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/03/scarbinsky_barbee_wants_to_be.html

Tony Barbee’s resume says he graduated from the University of Massachusetts in 1993 with a Bachelor of Arts in sports management and a minor in African-American studies.

That’s a fact.

Now here’s the truth.

Auburn’s new head basketball coach is a proud graduate, the most prominent graduate, of the University of Calipari.

Excuse me.

Calipari University.

Everyone has to model himself after someone, and Barbee made it clear during his impressive introduction Thursday that his role model is John Calipari.

Barbee played for him. Coached for him. Has known him since he was 14 when Calipari coached him at a basketball camp. Hasn’t made an important decision, "personally and professionally," without consulting him.

"He is my mentor and my friend," Barbee said. "He will always be my coach. There hasn’t been an influential male in my life, outside of my dad, that has had an effect on me like Coach Calipari has had."

The good people of Kentucky would applaud that bond.

The good people of Memphis? Umm, not so much.

Other coaches who know both men had observed that Barbee possesses Calipari’s intensity, drive and ambition but not his charm, but that wasn’t the case inside the new Auburn Arena.

If Barbee’s program is as winning as his introductory personality, Auburn may regret the day it built the roof low enough to intimidate visitors but too low to accommodate championship banners.

The new coach was well-prepared, checking his notes for direction, but he seemed spontaneous, too.

"Wow," he said. "Auburn Arena. Are you kidding me? If we can’t get it done in here, now."

Barbee said he was humbled to be here, but didn’t try to hide his abundant self-confidence, a prerequisite for a winner at any level. If he doesn’t believe in himself, why should anyone else?

"Jay, I won’t disappoint," he told AD Jay Jacobs. "I won’t disappoint."

Barbee displayed more personality in 27 minutes at the podium than Jeff Lebo let people see in six years. And if you think that approach was different, wait until Barbee hits the recruiting trail.

Calipari may steal the next Eric Bledsoe from this state, too, but if he does, you’re unlikely to hear his high school coach echo Maurice Ford and say that Auburn didn’t recruit him.

"I’m not gonna be afraid to do my job," Barbee said, "and make sure we get our fair share of the best players in Alabama, in the Southeast and around the country."

Call it Auburn’s new motto: No limits, no excuses, no fear.

No one may be safe. Lebo never coached against his mentor, but can you imagine him calling out Dean Smith? Barbee told us in public what he’s already told Calipari in private. It’s the same friendly warning Barbee delivered when he left Cal’s side at Memphis to become a rival C-USA head coach at UTEP.

In short, heads up.

"We laughed, we joked, but he knew I was serious," Barbee said. "I’m not backing down from him, he’s not backing down from me, but that’ll never affect our friendship, our relationship, and the passion we have for each other."

How’s this for friendship? The same day Barbee called out Calipari in public, Calipari called Barbee in private. It just happened to be the same day Calipari’s Kentucky team had a date in the Sweet 16 against Cornell.

Barbee said he asked Cal, " ‘Why are you calling me? Don’t you got something bigger to worry about than me?’

"But that’s the passion, that’s the love that we have for each other."

Wow. That’s more passion than Auburn basketball has generated in ages. Not to mention confidence.

"There’s one way you get to the top," Barbee said. "You go after the people that are at the top. Right now, that’s where Kentucky sits."

There’s only one way to make a coaching change when the last coach didn’t get it done. You don’t slip a new face into the same old suit.

You make a change.

Mission accomplished here. Auburn introduced a new basketball coach with a new attitude in its new home. This place may never be the same.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 09:41:01 AM »
I thought Kaos was being facetious. Hopefully he wasn't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
I do find it odd that this was so moving, while every time Chizik opens his mouth (especially in his first six months) Kaos became physically ill.

I don't see much difference in anything Barbee said, and anything Chizik said in his inaugural press conference, yet the  responses from K are night and day.

I was going to let it slide though. No sense in working him up over the first positive post I've seen from him in well over a year.

OK. I'll point out the difference for you since all you do is see who can be the first to bash the post.

Post season 18 of 19 years. Still pissed about the one year.

Get it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »

If you can't see the difference between an intelligent, articulate passionate guy like Barbee turned out to be and the banal cliche-choked nothingness that emanates from Chizik, well I can't help you at all.  

You also have to consider the source.  When Barbee talks about leading teams to championships, winning games, recruiting etc... well, he's got a legitimate historical base.  He's actually done those things as a head coach.  When he says he knows what it takes to win, he's at least got a resume that proves it.  

The distance between what he said (and how he said it) at his press conference can be measured in miles from Chizik's.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »
I thought Kaos was being facetious. Hopefully he wasn't.

Not in the least. 

What I heard from our new coach yesterday made me care about Auburn basketball.  If I wasn't slow, short and white and if I hadn't wasted my eligibility trying to play baseball, I'd volunteer to play for the guy. 

I was impressed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 10:08:33 AM »
Not in the least. 

What I heard from our new coach yesterday made me care about Auburn basketball.  If I wasn't slow, short and white and if I hadn't wasted my eligibility trying to play baseball, I'd volunteer to play for the guy. 

I was impressed.

I never thought you were being facetious. Anyone who loves Auburn, basketball fan or not, knows what happened in that press conference yesterday was a good thing.

Now we just hope he lives up to it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 10:11:46 AM »
If you can't see the difference between an intelligent, articulate passionate guy like Barbee turned out to be and the banal cliche-choked nothingness that emanates from Chizik, well I can't help you at all.  

You also have to consider the source.  When Barbee talks about leading teams to championships, winning games, recruiting etc... well, he's got a legitimate historical base.  He's actually done those things as a head coach.  When he says he knows what it takes to win, he's at least got a resume that proves it.  

The distance between what he said (and how he said it) at his press conference can be measured in miles from Chizik's.  

The middle portion is the only thing you said that I can level with and understand where you're coming from. I'll just ignore the rest. What they said was essentially the same, the difference is you had determined Chizik was incapable of delivering on his statements based on his head coaching record at Iowa State.

That's fair, I guess.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions