Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Here's an interesting comparison 'tween Tubs & Chizik

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Here's an interesting comparison 'tween Tubs & Chizik
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:11:49 AM »
Between Rivals and Scout, Coach Chizik & Co. have brought in seven 5 Star prospects, in 2 years.  Coach Tuberville & Co. brought in seven 5 Star prospects, in 6 years.

Chizik:
D. Washington (tos)
E. Freeman (tos)
S. Coleman (rivals)
C. Lemonier (tos)
M. Dyer (both)
T. Reed (tos)
C. Newton (rivals)

Tubs:
K. Burns (tos)
B. Eddins (tos)
L. Hart (tos)
B. Jacobs (both)
T. Blackmon (both)
B. Obomanu (rivals)
G. Smith (rivals)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Here's an interesting comparison 'tween Tubs & Chizik
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »
Between Rivals and Scout, Coach Chizik & Co. have brought in seven 5 Star prospects, in 2 years a year and a month.  Coach Tuberville & Co. brought in seven 5 Star prospects, in 6 years nearly 7 years.
Fixt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
While I see where you are going with this, I really don't think you can call Eltoro a Chizik get.  I realize he had to seal the deal ultimately, but Tubs had him on his list twice before he got canned resigned took the money and ran left Auburn.

Still...this staff is definitely recruiting in a different manner.  Hopefully it will also end up bringing more W's along the way too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »
Tuberville is gone. Why people have to hate one to like the other, or justify the other, is beyond me...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:13:52 AM »
Tuberville is gone. Why people have to hate one to like the other, or justify the other, is beyond me...
I don't think there's any hate involved in that post.

Just pointing out what a stellar job Chizik has done. And using the previous coach to put it in perspective.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:10 AM »

Yeah I gotta say I didn't feel any hate in it.  Just simply a baseline for comparison.  Someone who does not like CTT (and I know VERY VERY few) would construe it that way I guess.

He could have compared it against Tot recruits I guess but Al Gore had not really gotten the ebays up and running at that point. So the comparison would have even less denominators to go by.  As we have all beat into the ground,  all this star shit is subjective at best.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:39:49 AM »
Yeah I gotta say I didn't feel any hate in it.  Just simply a baseline for comparison.  Someone who does not like CTT (and I know VERY VERY few) would construe it that way I guess.

He could have compared it against Tot recruits I guess but Al Gore had not really gotten the ebays up and running at that point. So the comparison would have even less denominators to go by.  As we have all beat into the ground,  all this star shit is subjective at best.
Correct...no hating involved, it's just that Coach Tubs had been our HC for the last 10 years. I mean I guess I could've goneback to the Coach Jordan days..and yeah the stars are subjective...but Da Grillz? Now that'sa different story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »
Correct...no hating involved, it's just that Coach Tubs had been our HC for the last 10 years. I mean I guess I could've goneback to the Coach Jordan days..and yeah the stars are subjective...but Da Grillz? Now that'sa different story.
Shug gave out no diamond rope chains.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jadennis

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
Saw this Tuberville quote that I thought was interesting. 

When it comes to squeezing in under the NCAA scholarship limit, Tommy Tuberville has an interesting approach. He says he likes to stash kids at junior colleges and re-sign them two years down the road, when they're ready to step in right away. This allows him to keep from having to carry players who won't contribute. It's almost like NBA teams letting a draft pick remain in Europe.

"Each one of my coaches, they've got to find at least one great player that they can put in a juco," Tuberville said. "You do that with seven, eight, nine of those a year, you can win a lot of games (down the road) like that."

Right now Tech only has 13 scholarship seniors for 2010, which theoretically means they will only be able to sign 13 recruits next February. But Tuberville says that he expects only 18 or 20 of his 25 class of 2010 signees to qualify, giving him an extra five or seven scholarships to use next year.

There is some logic to it I think....although maybe not practical or reliable.  You take 20 or so of the best high school guys you can get.  Then you take some that are also thought to be great players, but ones you know won't get in.  You send them off to JUCO and hope to get them back two years later.

So two years later, you take your 20 new HS seniors, plus 3-5 of the JUCO guys you got two years prior, and there is your class.  It's obviously not reliable, but Freeman, Fairley, and MacCalebb worked out to help this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
One note on the comparison to Chizik and Tuberville.....we have to remember that it's really a staff verses staff comparison.  Chizik's staff just has more big time recruiters, simple as that.  Thigpen, Taylor, Luper, and even Grimes, Malzahn, and Rocker all did a big time job. 

Trooper Taylor: One 5-star, four 4-star
Bonomolo
Coleman
Goodwin
Kitchens
Lemonier
Reed
Richardson

Curtis Luper: Two 5-star, one 4-star
Dyer
Reed
Christian
Newton

Tracy Rocker: four 4-star
Carter
Goodwin
Kitchens
Lemonier
McNeal
Whitaker

Jeff Grimes: One 5-star, four 4-stars
Coleman
Carter
Gayden
Mosley
Sanders
Slade
White

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
One note on the comparison to Chizik and Tuberville.....we have to remember that it's really a staff verses staff comparison.  Chizik's staff just has more big time recruiters, simple as that.  Thigpen, Taylor, Luper, and even Grimes, Malzahn, and Rocker all did a big time job. 

Spot on.

Only thing that bothers me about CTT's comment is I don't really remember him doing that here.  Maybe it was happening and not being advertised.  Just sounds eerily similar to the philosophy that sank Jackie Sherrill at MSU.  Loading up on the JC guys who give no long term stability to the program.

Selective memory?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »
Correct, it's more of a staff vs staff.  Who was the poster that said I didn't know what I was talkin' about when I stated that Coach Chizik had hired a coaching staff that were really good to great recruiters.....I wonder, if that poster will ever step up and tell me that I was right  about the coaching staff's ability on the recruiting trail.  Meh, probably not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
Spot on.

Only thing that bothers me about CTT's comment is I don't really remember him doing that here.  Maybe it was happening and not being advertised.  Just sounds eerily similar to the philosophy that sank Jackie Sherrill at MSU.  Loading up on the JC guys who give no long term stability to the program.

Selective memory?

Maybe a little.  I don't really remember him doing much of that through his first 4-5 years, but we have all hashed and re-hashed the "non-qualifiers" that he took over the last 3 or so years he was on the Plains.  Sometimes it works perfectly, and others it comes back to bite you in the ass.  I think there were quite a few ass biters in his last couple or three recruiting classes fo sho.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
I hate all of you and this post.

Signed,
Kaos
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 12:30:48 PM »
I hate all of you and this post.

Signed,
Kaos

Does he have time to hate this, too?  I figgered he was all tied up hatin teh gays.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »
Does he have time to hate this, too?  I figgered he was all tied up hatin teh gays.
Hey just cause your butthole quivers every time you see a man, doesn't mean you should judge either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 12:38:52 PM »
Hey just cause your butthole quivers every time you see a man, doesn't mean you should judge either.

Who's judging?  Everyone should hate whomever they like.  Or something along those lines.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »
Who's judging?  Everyone should hate whomever they like.  Or something along those lines.
Is it allright for me to hate fat strippers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
Is it allright for me to hate fat strippers?

but you don't.

"I came back in time to call ya a cracka."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »
Saw this Tuberville quote that I thought was interesting. 

There is some logic to it I think....although maybe not practical or reliable.  You take 20 or so of the best high school guys you can get.  Then you take some that are also thought to be great players, but ones you know won't get in.  You send them off to JUCO and hope to get them back two years later.

So two years later, you take your 20 new HS seniors, plus 3-5 of the JUCO guys you got two years prior, and there is your class.  It's obviously not reliable, but Freeman, Fairley, and MacCalebb worked out to help this year.

Maybe just me - but I hate that philosophy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE