Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2010 NSD Official Update Thread

Re: 2010 NSD Official Update Thread
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »
Class is completely signed.  If there are any surprises, I'll add them later!

WDE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2010, 02:32:36 PM »
Class is completely signed.  If there are any surprises, I'll add them later!

WDE!

Solid class.  Especially that big TE prospect.  Hard to believe he was able to hover under the table that long.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »
It's still in there GF...

I had added 2 more
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »
Solid class.  Especially that big TE prospect.  Hard to believe he was able to hover under the table that long.
You talkin bout Jonsux Meballs?

The only problem we might have is with the helmet.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:39:43 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »

I say put 'em in there without one.  He's tough as nails.  Rumor has it that his lateral vision is the best in the country.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »

The back of the helmet won't be easy either.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
so who is/was the surprise possible commitment discussed in another thread yesterday?

Didn't see an answer...so I'm guessing it's either Jonsux Meballs, or Tunde Fariyike.  Somebody verify, please.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »
Just remember guys like Steven Clark, Tunde Fariyike, and Ladarious Phillips are more than likely simply walk-ons. In Fariyike's case, he will probably be a walk-on that is on an academic scholarship. That won't count against the 28. We got a kicker today that has a 4.7 GPA and is doing the same thing. Plus, AU is back counting I think 5 guys. So really, maybe the three I listed will be scholarship players.
It will count against the number if he plays football. That's the Bear Bryant rule. Sign some smart kids, put some on volleyball schollies, etc. and dress out 150.
Academic schollies cannot play football without counting against the NCAA football limits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
It will count against the number if he plays football. That's the Bear Bryant rule. Sign some smart kids, put some on volleyball schollies, etc. and dress out 150.
Academic schollies cannot play football without counting against the NCAA football limits.
Bullshit. If they are recruited to the school primarily on an academic basis, then they don't have to use a football scholarship. The three low ranking guys AU signed, and the low ranking kicker Alabama signed, were not primary football recruits. What you're talking about is a rule that disallows an academic scholarship to somebody like Michael Dyer, or Demarcus Milliner. Recruits that are obviously football talents, and are nationally recruited. You would have a hard time convincing the NCAA that a player that was not nationally recruited, had 0 football offers, and had a 4.7 GPA isn't mainly an academic recruit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:27:54 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jadennis

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2010, 03:49:13 PM »
Bullpoop. If they are recruited to the school primarily on an academic basis, then they don't have to use a football scholarship. The three low ranking guys AU signed, and the low ranking kicker Alabama signed, were not primary football recruits. What you're talking about is a rule that disallows an academic scholarship to somebody like Michael Dyer, or Demarcus Milliner. Recruits that are obviously football talents, and are nationally recruited. You would have a hard time convincing the NCAA that a player that was not nationally recruited, had 0 football offers, and had a 4.7 GPA isn't mainly an academic recruit.

On one hand, this makes some sense, but on the other hand, I can't imagine the NCAA leaving it open to interpretation like that.  I mean, where is the line drawn?  Do they use Rivals rankings to prove a kid was primarily one thing and not another?  

I would think that if the kid signs a national letter of intent and faxes it to the football office on national signing day....he's gonna count against the roster limit, IMO.  These aren't kids who went the academic rout and then just showed up as a walk-on for spring practice.  If that were the case...why the LOI and why ON national signing day?  Easy answer....because they're football players.  Fariyike and Phillips both had offers and have profiles on recruiting service websites. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:51:17 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

RWS

« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
On one hand, this makes some sense, but on the other hand, I can't imagine the NCAA leaving it open to interpretation like that.  I mean, where is the line drawn?  Do they use Rivals rankings to prove a kid was primarily one thing and not another? 

I would think that if the kid signs a national letter of intent and faxes it to the football office on national signing day....he's gonna count against the roster limit, IMO.  These aren't kids who went the academic rout and then just showed up as a walk-on for spring practice.  If that were the case...why the LOI and why ON national signing day?  Easy answer....because they're football players.
I'm trying to find the NCAA language on this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2010, 04:03:09 PM »

Found it.

Fuck you. We hate athletes.  We are money whores who have nobody's interests at heart except our own.

I think that was verbatim.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
Found it.

Fuck you. We hate athletes.  We are money whores who have nobody's interests at heart except our own.

Thanks, this saves me a ton of legwork.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »
Found it.

You missed page 2.  It reads...and I quote..."And stop asking about a fucking playoff.  You know it will never happen."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »

found it....not going to post it here....too phucking long.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/D1_Manual9d74a0b2-d10d-4587-8902-b0c781e128ae.pdf

start reading on page 171-178.........it is a slippery slope and what the NCAA deems legal today....... well aint necessarily legal tomorrow.

WAR EAGLE
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

ibelonginprison

• Bama... As cool as AIDS
« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »
Where'd Luhshaye Sea-suck end up?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bama fans make me want to punch babies...

RWS

« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:49 PM »
found it....not going to post it here....too phucking long.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/D1_Manual9d74a0b2-d10d-4587-8902-b0c781e128ae.pdf

start reading on page 171-178.........it is a slippery slope and what the NCAA deems legal today....... well aint necessarily legal tomorrow.

WAR EAGLE
What we are talking about, in particular, is on page 177. I would guess a 4.7 GPA would qualify as an "outstanding high school graduate", don't you think, boartitz? Apparently this would apply even if you were primarily a football recruit, so I was a little wrong there. Barrett Jones was on the Bryant Scholarship his first year at Alabama, and he also had a 4.7 GPA when he graduated high school.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:41:15 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »
Where'd Luhshaye Sea-suck end up?
Oregon put out a release to media outlets via internet that they would not release the names of those who faxed LOIs until 1PM PST. Its 1:30 there now and still no word on anybody, so I don't know whats up with that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
I think what we're looking at is more on page 183 (as far as how it counts towards athletic scholarship limits).

There are three sections about it...

15.5.1.2 essentially says that a kid can be given financial aid that is not based on athletic ability, and he will not count against a roster limit until he actually participates in a varsity sport.  (this is more for schools that still have JV teams I suppose?).

15.5.1.1 applies only if you were enrolled prior to some date in 2005.

15.5.2.2 says that a kid who is awarded financial aid based solely on his academic qualifications can participate without counting towards a roster limit, but only after completing one academic year of full-time enrollment and has achieved a grade point average of 3.3.

So it looks like if a freshman comes in and plays (varsity) he'll count towards the limit.  But after his first full year, if he has a 3.3, he can continue to receive academic financial aid and not count toward scholarship limits.

Interesting.  I guess that's how they take the subjectivity out of it.  You can start him off on academic scholarship, but he still counts towards an athletic scholarship for the first year.  If the kid has a 3.3 after the first year (thereby proving his academic worthiness?), you can stop counting him against your athletic scholarship limit.

But I'm guessing this applies only to those who can qualify for an academic scholarship to begin with...not just any ole player who happens to have a 3.3 after his first year.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:18:14 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

RWS

« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »
I think what we're looking at is more on page 183 (as far as how it counts towards athletic scholarship limits).

There are three sections about it...

15.5.1.2 essentially says that a kid can be given financial aid that is not based on athletic ability, and he will not count against a roster limit until he actually participates in a varsity sport.  (this is more for schools that still have JV teams I suppose?).

15.5.1.1 applies only if you were enrolled prior to some date in 2005.

15.5.2.2 says that a kid who is awarded financial aid based solely on his academic qualifications can participate without counting towards a roster limit, but only after completing one academic year of full-time enrollment and has achieved a grade point average of 3.3.

So it looks like if a freshman comes in and plays (varsity) he'll count towards the limit.  But after his first full year, if he has a 3.3, he can continue to receive academic financial aid and not count toward scholarship limits.

Interesting.  I guess that's how they take the subjectivity out of it.  You can start him off on academic scholarship, but he still counts towards an athletic scholarship for the first year.  If the kid has a 3.3 after the first year (thereby proving his academic worthiness?), you can stop counting him against your athletic scholarship limit.

But I'm guessing this applies only to those who can qualify for an academic scholarship to begin with...not just any ole player who happens to have a 3.3 after his first year.
This almost has some sort of backcounting ring to it, yes?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions