Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Would you draft Tim Tebow? Where?

Mr. Sensible

Would you draft Tim Tebow? Where?
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »
Provide your rationale in the comments section.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

Re: Would you draft Tim Tebow? Where?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »
The kid has talent and an incredible competitive spirit.  Very smart, humble kid who is a winner.  With that said, he's a serious project at any position in the NFL.  He looks absolutely horrible taking snaps under center.  A lot of that is Urban's fault. 

If he's still around in the 4th, I'll take him just for talent and character.  Hopefully he can be taught from a good QB coach.  If not, he could play fullback/tight end.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:57:47 AM »
Third round.  

Tebow might grow into a good quarterback.  He's a relentless worker, and he's an intelligent guy.  We know he's got the arm strength and the athleticism.  He needs to work on his throwing motion (hard to do), and he needs to spend two-three seasons learning how to read defenses and make precise throws as soon as he reads the coverage/blitz.  

Since that's not going to happen...

The real reason you take Tebow is his versatility.  Tebow proved he can run over the best SEC defenders.  He's got deceptive speed for a guy his size.  His leadership and determination is unmatched, and the guy is a proven winner.  You give him a chance - a real chance - to play tight end/h-back/fullback.  He presents a dangerous option in the wildcat on short yardage situations.  

So you steal him in the draft early in the third round.  You give him a few months to show he can drastically change his throwing motion.  If he does?  Make him the back up QB for two years.  If he doesn't?  Strap the heavy pads on and start throwing him the ball.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
Unless I just had a draft pick to waste I would let him drift on by.

He's a good kid but has not improved at all over the last three years. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
If Tebow were around in the third which I seriously doubt, I would take him simply for his upside, but I don't truly think he is an NFL caliber QB the way the game is played today. He isn't exactly the Snake or Young but he could provide for a team with a Wildcat/ H-back set-up, hold for placements, do some mop-ups (for those teams not interested in padding stats anymore if there are any) and possibly develop into a tool for trade for a more desired position for the playoffs. Location I guess is the key.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
First round.

The kid is a winner. Give him a fair shot at QB in camp (I don't think he's an NFL QB), then move him to TE/H-back.

The money you spend on his contract will come back in jersey/merch sales. And, more importantly, you get the poster boy for the NFL that Goodell ostensibly desires. The kid is a phenomenal representative for your team and the league.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:48:12 AM »
First round.

The kid is a winner. Give him a fair shot at QB in camp (I don't think he's an NFL QB), then move him to TE/H-back.

The money you spend on his contract will come back in jersey/merch sales. And, more importantly, you get the poster boy for the NFL that Goodell ostensibly desires. The kid is a phenomenal representative for your team and the league.

It's a business.  I can't see any team squandering a first-round pick on somebody who is clearly a project and may or may not fit in any position.  Just can't use first round dollars on that kind of risk no matter what kind of image he projects.

You can't merchandise what doesn't exist.  If he's sitting the bench or playing only three or four downs a game you're not going to sell a lot of his stuff ... unless he goes to a Florida team where the adoration is built in.  And even then, out of sight out of mind. 

Drafting Tebow is a huge financial risk, particularly if you do so in the first round.  If he goes in the first two rounds I'd be surprised.  Be less surprised to see him drift into the second day -- are they still doing three rounds a day? -- where they don't have to guarantee as much money. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
It's a business.  I can't see any team squandering a first-round pick on somebody who is clearly a project and may or may not fit in any position.  Just can't use first round dollars on that kind of risk no matter what kind of image he projects.

You can't merchandise what doesn't exist.  If he's sitting the bench or playing only three or four downs a game you're not going to sell a lot of his stuff ... unless he goes to a Florida team where the adoration is built in.  And even then, out of sight out of mind. 

Drafting Tebow is a huge financial risk, particularly if you do so in the first round.  If he goes in the first two rounds I'd be surprised.  Be less surprised to see him drift into the second day -- are they still doing three rounds a day? -- where they don't have to guarantee as much money. 

Drafting anyone is a huge risk (see your boy Leaf).

The kid has athleticism, heart and leadership to burn. Those are traits you want in your locker room. He will play somewhere on the field. I heard it from da skreets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

boartitz

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »

The kid has athleticism, heart and leadership to burn. Those are traits you want in your locker room. He will play somewhere on the field. I heard it from da skreets.
Plus, you automatically get GOD on your team's side.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
I went fourth round, but it would have to be the right team even then.

Every team has major needs (left tackle, center, linebackers that can stop the run and cover down field, a shut down corner, etc)....there are just too many actual needs to waste a pick on someone you hope you can find a spot for just because he's a good kid.

And unless you're Tampa, Atlanta, or Miami (and maybe Carolina), you couldn't draft him just for his name.  NFL fans are a different type for the most part.  There isn't a ton of carry over from die-hard (read: money spending) NFL fans into college football.  Typically people follow and spend money on one (NFL or CFB) and are a casual fan of the other.  Tebow-mania wouldn't last past draft day for fans in Kansas City or Pittsburgh or Cleveland, and thus, your investment better be for football reasons, not marketing reasons.

It's way too early to ask this question.  If you had asked this question about Matt Jones before the combine, he would have been nearly undraftable.  But after watching him work out as a receiver, he made some believers of GMs.  We'll have to wait and see if Tebow goes all out as a QB or if he works some as TE or something.  I think people already assume he could be a fullback.  But how high do you draft a fullback that may or may not get 10 carries?  Jacob Hester and Heath Evans were both 3rd round picks and were known commodities at FB. 

Assuming
Tebow could be a FB has to drop him at least one round past those guys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 12:49:03 PM »

If he goes in the first two rounds, I'll send you a dinner for two certificate from a nationally known restaurant. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 01:45:49 PM »
If he goes in the first two rounds, I'll send you a dinner for two certificate from a nationally known restaurant. 
He likes his Chicken Fried.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
He likes his Chicken Fried.

Church's is nationally known.  So is Danny's. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »
Church's is nationally known.  So is Danny's. 
Lee's Famous Chicken.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
There is a Lee' Famous Chicken in Jasper only one I still knew of.  They have the best fried chicken out of all the fast foods.

As far as Tebow goes, he's a hell of lot better than Jamarcus Russell was and he was a first rounder now not even getting to play.  He might take Ryan Leaf's spot as biggest bust ever.  But I think he'll go in the second round.  He'll probably turn into a TE like the Arky QB did a couple of years ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
But I think he'll go in the second round.  He'll probably turn into a TE like the Arky QB did a couple of years ago.

What do Matt Jones and Rick James have in common?

They both believe cocaine is a helluva drug...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:34 PM »
Plus, you automatically get GOD on your team's side.
I laughed out loud. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

jadennis

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 01:32:01 PM »
Tebow is working with all kinds of NFL guys and changing up the delivery. 

Wonder how much difference it will make on draft day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4935351
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »
First round.

And this is why your team would be last in the league.  :moon:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
The kid has talent and an incredible competitive spirit.  Very smart, humble kid who is a winner.  With that said, he's a serious project at any position in the NFL.  He looks absolutely horrible taking snaps under center.  A lot of that is Urban's fault. 

If he's still around in the 4th, I'll take him just for talent and character.  Hopefully he can be taught from a good QB coach.  If not, he could play fullback/tight end.

This.  Only thing I would change is I think he is worth a 3rd round because of his character, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."