Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Really good Latt Article

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Really good Latt Article
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »
Auburn or South Carolina? Decision Time for Marcus Lattimore

Analyst Written on January 26, 2010
COLUMBIA, SC - NOVEMBER 28: Cocky, the South Carolina Gamecocks mascot celebrates a first half touchdown against the Clemson Tigers at Williams-Brice Stadium on November 28, 2009 in Columbia, South Carolina. (Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images) Scott Halleran/Getty Images

In a previous article, I gave several reasons why I thought Marcus Lattimore would pick one particular university on his list. That university made it to his final two choices. He is set to make his choice at his church on Feb 2.

The South Carolina staff is putting on the full-court press for this young man. The local media has pulled out the stops and gotten serious. The Internet is full of negative posts that he might even think of going out of state, such as here and here.

While I understand such emotions, what is the benefit to Lattimore? It seems everyone is asking him to sacrifice for them. What are they offering in return? When one reminds Marcus Lattimore of the benefits of an in-state education, exactly what are they talking about?

It seems the idea is if he just sacrifices his chance of having a professional football career, he can then be assured of his state taking care of him. I wonder how much of a generous offer this is.

Why is it that Lattimore will be less of a citizen of South Carolina if he chooses to get his education out of state? There are hundreds of thousands of South Carolina citizens who did just that. They brought that education back to the state and contributed.

So what is different about Lattimore? He has an extraordinary talent that might allow him to play professional football in the future. The people of South Carolina want him to use that to entertain them on Saturdays.

There is nothing wrong with this. It might even be Lattimore's choice. If he chooses another path, does that mean he is turning his back on South Carolina? In my opinion, this is simply ludicrous.

If he had an extraordinary musical talent would the people of South Carolina be against him choosing to be educated at Julliard?

It is obvious that he thinks highly of his state. He has narrowed his choices to South Carolina and Auburn.

South Carolina would not even be on his list if he did not think highly of them. No one needs to think of why a running back would choose Auburn. They are Running Back University.

People have said Lattimore will be helping his community by staying in state. This is not necessarily true. If he stays in state and his talent is never developed, he will not have an NFL career. This will cost him millions of dollars, much of which would be contributed to the community.

Most NFL players who make it to the big-contract level contribute mightily to the communities where they grew up. Lattimore cannot do this if he never makes it to the NFL. If he chooses South Carolina, he will be taking a huge chance.

During five seasons at South Carolina, Steve Spurrier has not fielded even one 1,000-yard rusher. In 12 seasons at Florida, he fielded only three. There has been one running back drafted into the NFL from South Carolina since 1992.

South Carolina now has three four-star running backs, and none of them have produced. The South Carolina rushing attack is 91st in the nation. Is this due to non-production from untalented running backs?

Simply put, the answer is no. These running backs average around five yards per carry. The South Carolina rushing attack averages only 3.2 yards per carry. Why is this?

South Carolina prefers to run the quarterback. His runs and sacks count against the rushing statistics. So, while the running backs have been effective, they were not used. The preference was toward the quarterback.

This has always been a Steve Spurrier trait. He recruits and plays great quarterbacks and gets great production from them. If Lattimore were a quarterback, this would be great.

Lattimore is a great running back. Can he, under Steve Spurrier's system, develop the jaw-dropping skill it takes to get to the NFL, when three other four-star recruits have failed? If he chooses South Carolina, time will tell.

Auburn has had four head coaches since 1992. Current head coach Gene Chizik has only been there one season. How has Auburn done for running backs during that time?

Auburn has sent nine running backs to the NFL since 1992. Gene Chizik has sent one running back to the NFL in his first year. In five years at South Carolina, Steve Spurrier has produced 13 100-yard rushing games for a running back. Auburn equaled that in 2009 alone.

Auburn's average leading running back has averaged 1,023 yards per year over the last five years. South Carolina has had none during that time. The three four-star running backs on the South Carolina roster (Mike Davis, Brian Maddox, and Eric Baker) have 2,211 career rushing yards.

Ben Tate graduated from Auburn this year with 3,300 career yards rushing. He was a four-star running back out of high school. He is now off to play in the NFL. Auburn's freshman four-star running back Ontario McCalebb gained 606 yards while being used sparingly due to injuries.

Gus Malzhan, offensive coordinator at Auburn, has fielded a 1,000-yard running back every season he has coached. Several of those running backs are currently playing in the NFL. His system requires a minimum of three good running backs to split the 50-plus rushing plays per game.

On the roster at Auburn now for running backs is Dontae Aycock.

On the roster at Auburn now for scat back/speed back is Ontario McCalebb.

On the roster at Auburn now for H-back/tight end are Mario Fannin, Philip Lutzenkirchen, and Eric Smith.

There are more running backs on the South Carolina roster than at Auburn. South Carolina also has as many running backs targeted for this recruiting class as Auburn.

This is the choice Lattimore faces. He can be the talented piano player who stayed at home and played in the local church, or the concert pianist who developed his skill to its peak. The choice is really that different.

Should friends and neighbors see Lattimore as betraying his local roots if he decides to develop his talent? Should anyone begrudge this young man for making a choice for his future?

No matter what choice he makes, I think we all need to support this young man in his decision. There was a very ugly bashing handed out when Eric Mack chose his path. I don't think he deserved it, and I hope Marcus Lattimore will not face the same.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Really good Latt Article
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:49:04 PM »
Link?

That was from an SC writer, right?

I hope Latt sees it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:49:49 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »
Great breakdown of the two school's rushing stats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:22:24 AM »
In five years at South Carolina, Steve Spurrier has produced 13 100-yard rushing games for a running back. Auburn equaled that in 2009 alone.

This was eye popping to me!  Pretty sad that with the support SC fans give that they can get no better results.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:28:29 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

jmar

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
BUT,will Lattimore choose Auburn in front of 600+ Gamecock fans?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:24:54 AM »
BUT,will Lattimore choose Auburn in front of 600+ Gamecock fans?

The poor kid would probably get booed out of his own Church, the way those folks are acting lately over the Mack situation and this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:28:31 AM »
That smacked of cushioning the blow. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »
Link?

That was from an SC writer, right?

I hope Latt sees it.

Yes. From SC writer somewhere. I saw it on the bunker. Can't find link now.

You're right Kaos. But whatever it is, it points out the facts that I would be using to sell Latt to Auburn if I were Chizik. Facts are facts...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 10:47:38 AM »
Lattimore said he's going to go where he feels he can be part of a championship team. You can make whatever argument you want, but only an idiot would argue that SC has a chance at winning any sort of championship in the near future. It isn't going to happen with Spurrier at the helm. I would imagine this kid is AU bound.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »
Lattimore said he's going to go where he feels he can be part of a championship team. You can make whatever argument you want, but only an idiot would argue that SC has a chance at winning any sort of championship in the near future. It isn't going to happen with Spurrier at the helm. I would imagine this kid is AU bound.
You just said we are a championship team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
You just said we are a championship team.
You could at least argue that AU could do it. SC? Not so much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
You could at least argue that AU could do it. SC? Not so much.
Pfffffffffff. It's plausible we could win...yeah, Auburn would have to get reallllllly lucky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »
Pfffffffffff. It's plausible we could win...yeah, Auburn would have to get reallllllly lucky.
Maybe so, but SC would have to get WAY more lucky than AU for it to happen. Even if we're talking only SEC championship. Like I said, you could make the argument however you wanted to. However, you would have a really really tough time making some sort of valid point that SC will amount to anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 11:41:28 AM »
Hard to quesion the concept that Auburn is closer than SC to viability.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »

Underrated post. Good point. This is HUGE to him.

How many Conf Titles, 10 win seasons, NC's, Top 10 finishes, 1000 yard rushers - does SC have?  This one can be done on one hand.

And in Spurrier's Defense, it aint gonna happen at SC with ANYONE at the helm. If Spurrier and Holtz cat get you over the hump, then its just not in the cards folks. When they played UConn, they posted the all time W/L records on the screen from both teams. UConn's was actually BETTER. SC has lost more games than theyve won. This would just be a no brainer to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
Maybe so, but SC would have to get WAY more lucky than AU for it to happen. Even if we're talking only SEC championship. Like I said, you could make the argument however you wanted to. However, you would have a really really tough time making some sort of valid point that SC will amount to anything.

WOOOOOOOOOOOSH

What was that noise?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »
WOOOOOOOOOOOSH

A sound not heard often in B.E. Coliseum??
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
Hard to quesion the concept that Auburn is closer than SC to viability.
I'm not arguing that point, I actual agree with that.  It's the underneath tone that Auburn will have to be lucky to win a Championship...because they're not the Army of God built in Tuscaloosa.

And half cause I'm messing with him. ;)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:59 PM »
I'm not arguing that point, I actual agree with that.  It's the underneath tone that Auburn will have to be lucky to win a Championship...because they're not the Army of God built in Tuscaloosa.

And half cause I'm messing with him. ;)
So, its a given AU will win one? I mean, what do you want me to say here? Pre-season, I thought Alabama would have to be really lucky to get to the SECCG again in 2009 because we were replacing our starting QB with an unproven backup, starting RB, and over half of the OL. Auburn is replacing their starting QB with an unproven QB, possibly a true freshman at RB, and next season will replace the entire OL. Odds are against AU the next few seasons, like it or not. I'm not saying its impossible, but why wouldn't I hold AU to the same standard of doubt that I held my own team to?

I know what the intent of the post was, and I knew where it was going.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:11:47 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »
So, its a given AU will win one? I mean, what do you want me to say here? Pre-season, I thought Alabama would have to be really lucky to get to the SECCG again in 2009 because we were replacing our starting QB with an unproven backup, starting RB, and over half of the OL. Auburn is replacing their starting QB with an unproven QB, possibly a true freshman at RB, and next season will replace the entire OL. Odds are against AU the next few seasons, like it or not. I'm not saying its impossible, but why wouldn't I hold AU to the same standard of doubt that I held my own team to?

I know what the intent of the post was, and I knew where it was going.

God Damn.  Seriously?

He was giving you a sarcastic response because of "you could AT LEAST argue that AU" in your previous post.   He's not arguing with you.  Just poking fun at your "at least" attitude, as if Auburn hasn't won anything, or has to overcome serious hurdles to even remotely have a chance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions