Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Congrats

Birmingham

Congrats
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:40:31 AM »
It's clear that the current Auburn staff all have a great work ethic and are committed to not being outworked.  I made fun of the limo.  I made fun of all the things that were easy to make fun of.  I've stopped laughing.  I don't think Chizik's a great coach but it's clear that he doesn't give a poop what I think and is answering his critics one 4* at a time.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:41:31 AM by Birmingham »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Congrats
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:23:53 AM »
It's clear that the current Auburn staff all have a great work ethic and are committed to not being outworked.  I made fun of the limo.  I made fun of all the things that were easy to make fun of.  I've stopped laughing.  I don't think Chizik's a great coach but it's clear that he doesn't give a poop what I think and is answering his critics one 4* at a time.
Remember back in Jan. when I said that Coach Chizik put together a Hell of a recruiting staff?  I think my actual statement was.."Really Good to Great Coaches that're Really Good to Great Recruiters".  There were some posters, okay TWO, that didn't believe.  I wonder if they believe now?  Probably not, I heard that the cave, they stay in, is comfy this time of year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »
Remember back in Jan. when I said that Coach Chizik put together a Hell of a recruiting staff?  I think my actual statement was.."Really Good to Great Coaches that're Really Good to Great Recruiters".  There were some posters, okay TWO, that didn't believe.  I wonder if they believe now?  Probably not, I heard that the cave, they stay in, is comfy this time of year.
Well, when Chizik was hired, you said:

I'm hearing that the paper work has been signed by everyone except for Gouge....Chizik will be coming to Auburn.  If this is True.....The Auburn fanbase will Riot in Auburn and I'll be at the front of the pack. Get ready to see some UAB size attendances...first come, first serve.  Also, TPTB just waved the white flag for the upcoming Ironbowls and recruiting.  Hindenburg II

Soooo, which one do you want us to go with?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:29:11 AM »

hahahahahahahaha.......damn...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:56:44 AM »
Ron Zook second coming
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »
Ron Zook second coming
Does that mean we hire a slam-dunk coach in two years, followed by an MNC?  Cool!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »

Damn........
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »
I'm sure you can find similar quotes from me around that time. I didn't get it at the time. It didn't take long at all for him to win me over. Like a couple of weeks. I wrote an article on the front page of this site when I came around. Since that day, he hasn't stopped impressing more and more every day. Like Birmingham, I have the cognitive ability to recognize facts and change my opinion based upon them.

Some people prefer to shut themselves off to outside stimuli so as to appear principled. Really they just appear uninformed and stubborn. Not naming names but
Ron Zook second coming
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:56:27 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »
Ron Zook second coming

Ron Zook was a great as a recruiter, so I get that part.  However, Ron Zook didn't have the staff Chizik has put together, and he was horrible at Florida, and is horrible at Illinois.  He benefited one one good year from Juice Williams, Arrelious Benn, and the kid playing for the Steelers now.  Chizik's staff does more of the recruiting that Chizik does, where Ron Zook does a lot of his own.  It's two completely different situations and places.

There are a lot of great recruiters, and Ron Zook would be up there with them, but that's where the comparisons stop.   You're getting more and more cynical, and it's either blinding you, or exposing how little you actually know about anything.

I'm sure you can find similar quotes from me around that time. I didn't get it at the time. It didn't take long at all for him to win me over. Like a couple of weeks. I write an article on the front page of this site when I came around. Since that day, he hasn't stopped impressing more and more every day. Like Birmingham, I have the cognitive ability to recognize facts and change my opinion based upon them.

Some people prefer to shut themselves off to outside stimuli so as to appear principled. Really they just appear uninformed and stubborn. Not naming names but

This.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
I'm sure you can find similar quotes from me around that time. I didn't get it at the time. It didn't take long at all for him to win me over. Like a couple of weeks. I write an article on the front page of this site when I came around. Since that day, he hasn't stopped impressing more and more every day. Like Birmingham, I have the cognitive ability to recognize facts and change my opinion based upon them.

And you're not going around telling people "See, I told you so!" either, so I have no issue here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »
And you're not going around telling people "See, I told you so!" either, so I have no issue here.

Just maybe he wasn't pointing at you exclusively with everything said either.... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:57:47 AM »
Does that mean we hire a slam-dunk coach in two years, followed by an MNC?  Cool!

That's a possibility.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »
Just maybe he wasn't pointing at you exclusively with everything said either.... 
I didn't assume that he was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »

And some people can't resist the urge to be a dick whenever possible. Thanks, Biff.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:01:53 AM »
And some people can't resist the urge to be a dick whenever possible. Thanks, Biff.

Agreed, so why don't you make like a tree......   and get out of here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »

I know a guy like that that posts here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 11:21:19 AM »
I was shocked when Chizik was hired.  It was the kind of thing that would ruin my day out of nowhere.  I would be going along through a day, doing fine, then remember we just hired Chizik, and I would get chest pains.

That lasted a few days.  Then I used my brain, and not my heart, because honestly, my heart had no business feeling at this point...it didn't have anything to really go on.  I realized how many great hires had turned poopty over the years.  I remembered how many "who the hell is that" hires had turned golden.  

Many have said how good of a hire Charlie Strong is for Louisville.  Many even wanted him to get a shot at Auburn.  Isn't he Ron Zook?  I mean, Zook did a good job at Florida as an assistant coach.  Zook only looks like a failure of a head coach hire NOW that we know better.  We deem Strong a good head coach hire....thing is, as of NOW, we don't know any better.  

When Mike Bellotti named Chip Kelly offensive coordinator, and soon named him the head-coach-in-waiting....people thought, "who the hell is this guy?".  He'd been at New Hampshire for the previous 13 years. Was he never good enough to get a better job than New Hampshire for 13 years?  And now he was worthy of being head coach in the Pac 10?  He must be in over his head right?  First year....10-3, #11 final AP ranking.

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that since I didn't feel like I had enough information to just assume with any degree of certainty that Chizik had a 90% or better chance of guaranteed failure, then I would take my ultimate decision about him step by step.  As he did and didn't do certain things, I would begin shaping my opinion of his performance as the head coach of Auburn's football program.  

First off, I would not judge his ability based on Iowa State, as it was as different as Texas A&M and Alabama was for Gene Stallings (7 years at each school....27 wins at A&M, 70 wins at Alabama).   Secondly, I would not judge his ability based on what "coach speak" he shared with the media and how he looked in front of the camera....after all, it's the media, and maybe he's not an award winning orator (which is not what we hired him to be), or maybe he doesn't like being candid with the media until they've earned his trust.  Who knows?  Who cares.

So to me, we are still just in the midst of the writing of the Chizik era at Auburn.  It hasn't been concluded yet.  I assume this will be at least a 6 chapter book....two chapters per year, one is recruiting, one is on-field results. Chapter 1 was pretty good, as he added most of the top recruits that we had in our 2009 class (8 of the top 13).  Chapter 2 was encouraging, as we improved in a lot of areas over last year.  After all, it was the first year for all of these players and coaches to work together.  Chapter 3 is shaping up to be excellent, we can all see that on any recruiting service we choose to endorse.

However, it's only chapter 3.  We can easily assume that we are no more than half way through, at best (assuming he's here through the 2011 season).  The rest of the book on him is unwritten, and I will treat my opinion on him as such.  Does the book look pretty good so far?  I would say that it has gotten better by the chapter, and at this point, is an encouraging read.  Will it continue to get better?  I'll just keep reading, and with every new page of information, I will continue to shape my opinion accordingly.  The final three chapters could be dreadful.  Or, it could turn out to be a 20 chapter novel that ends up being the best volume in the 25 volume set that is the Auburn Coaching library.

What kind of book reviewer, regardless of how much they dislike the cover design, stops and writes his entire review after only reading the first three chapters?  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 01:32:24 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »
I was shocked when Chizik was hired.  It was the kind of thing that would ruin my day out of nowhere.  I would be going along through a day, doing fine, then remember we just hired Chizik, and I would get chest pains.

That lasted a few days.  Then I used my brain, and not my heart, because honestly, my heart had no business feeling at this point...it didn't have anything to really go on.  I realized how many great hires had turned poopty over the years.  I remembered how many "who the hell is that" hires had turned golden.  

Many have said how good of a hire Charlie Strong is for Louisville.  Many even wanted him to get a shot at Auburn.  Isn't he Ron Zook?  I mean, Zook did a good job at Florida.  Zook only looks like a failure of a hire NOW that we know better.  We deem Strong a good hire....as of NOW, we don't know any better.

When Mike Bellotti named Chip Kelly offensive coordinator, and soon named him the head-coach-in-waiting....people thought, "who the hell is this guy?".  He'd been at New Hampshire for the previous 13 years.  Was he never good enough to get a better job than New Hampshire for 13 years?  And now he was worthy of being head coach in the Pac 10?

Anyway, I came to the conclusion that since I didn't feel like I had enough information to assume he was a 90% or better guaranteed failure, then I would take my ultimate decision about him step by step, as he did and didn't do certain things.  

I would not judge his ability based on Iowa State, as it was as different as Texas A&M and Alabama was for Gene Stallings (7 years at each school....27 wins at A&M, 70 wins at Alabama).   I would not judge his ability based on what "coach speak" he shared with the media....after all, it's the media, and maybe he's not an award winning orator (which is not what we hired him to be).

So to me, we are still just in the midst of the writing of the Chizik era at Auburn.  It hasn't been concluded yet.  I assume this will be at least a 6 chapter book....two chapters per year, one is recruiting, one is on-field results.  Chapter 1 was pretty good, as he added most of the top recruits that we had in our 2009 class.  Chapter 2 was encouraging, as we improved in a lot of areas over last year, and it was the first year for all of these players and coaches to be together.  Chapter 3 is shaping up to be excellent, we can all see that.

However, it's chapter 3.  We can easily assume that we are no more than half way through, at best.  The rest of the book on him is unwritten, and I will treat my opinion on him as such.  Does the book look pretty good so far?  I would say that it has gotten better by the chapter.  Will it continue to get better?  I'll just keep reading, and with every new page of information, I will continue to shape my opinion accordingly.  What kind of book reviewer stops and writes his entire review after only reading the first three chapters?
Five star post. In fact, we've been dry on front page material, and I'd say this certainly qualifies.

Although, I would fix this.
However, it's chapter 3.  We can easily assume that we are no more than half way through, at bestworst.
I hope he stays with us more than two seasons.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:35:19 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
Five star post. In fact, we've been dry on front page material, and I'd say this certainly qualifies.

Although, I would fix this.I hope he stays with us more than two seasons.

I was implying three seasons.  Recruiting of 09 is chapter 1.  Season of 2011 would be chapter 6. 

Chapter 1 - Recruiting 2009 - Added 8 of the top 13 recruits in roughly 6 weeks on the job.
Chapter 2 - Season 2010 - 8-5, Outback Bowl.  6-8 wins was on the radar...finished at the high end of expectations.
Chapter 3 - Recruiting 2010 - Currently looking at a Top 5 class, but more importantly addresses our biggest         needs: Offensive line, linebackers, defensive line (incomplete), immediate QB help, restocking the running backs.
Chapter 4 - Season 2010 -
Chapter 5 - Recruiting 2011 -
Chapter 6 - Season 2011 -
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Mr. Sensible

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 11:52:49 AM »
I know a guy like that that posts here.

Good for you. Self-awareness is the first step.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions