Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fear

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Fear
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »
Geez K, you are better and smarter than that. Don't agree with this guy. He hates Dye in any capacity. Of course its not good to do it that way now. Nobody says we are going to. I agree though - doing it that way in 1981 was almost a MUST to get equal footing with Bama and national recognition - and it worked. What is our record since 1983 overall and against Bama? GreasyPenis would have us go back to the Barfield years since they were "clean". We owe a debt of gratitude to Dye. He stood toe to toe with Bear and basically told him that Auburn wasn't going to be scared of Bama anymore. Now - tell me it didnt work. No one else had EVER done that. EVER. Not Shug, Not Majors, Not Dooley - no one.

As for the list of Bear proteges that stick out to me with serious NCAA troubles:

Dye
Sherrill
Dubose
Ford - in 2 places!

I guess Croom is one who stayed clean. I actually like Sly. Maybe not the BEST coach in the world, but nice guy nonetheless and he didnt put up with crap at MSU like Sherrill did.

I'm not saying I agree with him, just that I can see where somebody could form that opinion. 

I love Coach Dye.  He's one of my all time favorite people. But I have to admit that the thought of him prowling the athletic complex doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.  Don't know that he is, but that's the vision GW has, anyway.

If it were up to me, Dye would be retiring this season or next with 30 years in, the 1993 national championship and probably a couple of others and the most wins -- by far -- in Auburn history and probably among the top win totals in NCAA history. Might even have pushed Bear off his pedestal. 

But you know what? The bama people were scared of just that possibility. They could see the momentum he built and the continued success. So they pulled their shit. Donald Watkins was paid by their boosters to spin all that Eric Ramsey shit -- which really didn't amount to a damn thing when compared to what Bama has done and doing and what USC is doing, etc.  It was the tickiest of tack bullshit, but they got to us.  They set out to ruin Dye, kill Auburn and bury us forever. 

And that's what they want again.   They were scared of what Tuberville could do.  The 2004 season frightened them to no end, because if we won a NC, there goes everything they have to justify their existence and their self-delusion of superiority. But we didn't wait for them to kill us, we just jumped out there on the sword ourselves. 

I certainly don't hate Dye. Not by any stretch. Pat Dye gave me hope when I had none and for that, I can forgive and forget a lot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 11:43:39 AM »
dont necessarily disagree with your statement but technically it is not true.  Shug had no fear of bryant and bryant was said to have feared (as much as a coach can fear any opposing player) one player in his coaching career.........

Pat Sullivan.

WAR EAGLE

ps: forgot about Croom (but he was somewhat untouchable) and don't forget to add Stallings to your cheaters list.......he and Hootie were knee deep in that poop.

pps: as for using Dooley in your analogy.....it doesn't quite hold.  The way the SEC was back then, Dooley did not have to really concern himself with bryant.  Dooley won 6 SEC titles and a MNC during bryant's time at uat.  Dooley was the  only coach to win so many SEC titles and the only SEC coach to win a MNC during bryant's tenure at uat. (iirc)

I guess I am looking at it from a figurative perspective. I even heard Dye say that in an interview once. It was the impression that Bryant ruled the SEC (and he did) much like Oz. There was an unheard "fear" of him. No one actually looked him in the eye like that without flinching. Shug - bless him, what a great human being - didn't have that killer instinct, which is probably the main reason folks liked him. He wasn't cut throat and win at all costs. Like I said - I actually admire him because of this. To him, I think life was very important and FB was just a part of it - as it SHOULD be. To Bear, FB was life. Dye comes along and has the edge and tenacity to look the old man in the eye and let him know he was NOT gonna take his bullpoop anymore.

That was what no one else had done. Sorry for not clarifying.

And for the record - I would not trade Shug for Bryant in a million years. Shug was as good of a man as you would find. But I know you know this EA with your unmatched "historical Auburn" IQ ;)  Have a good un buddy. We need to get those crappie frying soon lol
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:38:23 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »
= Sancho.

You need to go read that book.  You don't understand the concept of Sancho at all. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »
You need to go read that book.  You don't understand the concept of Sancho at all. 

Green Eggs and Ham? It was a good un!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 01:27:39 PM »
Your comparison, not mine.

You're blind to the fact that everything you accuse me of doing for Prowler, you do the same with the indefensible babbling rehtard (accent on the tard).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
Nice to know you think so highly of Auburn, jackass.

Tuberville can recruit to Auburn.  Richt can recruit to Georgia.  Saban/Miles can recruit to LSU.  Fulmer/Kiffin can recruit to Tennessee.  But if Chizik and his coaches (that are known to be good recruiters) can recruit to Auburn....we must be cheating? 

:fu:

Now write me a nice long response that includes how much you do think highly of Auburn, but that you don't think highly of Chizik or Dye, so if recruiting is going well, we must be cheating (even though his staff does most of the recruiting....as do most staffs).   :sad:

I, for one, don't find it odd that Greasybammer is running the same smack as the bammers on Finebaum.  "Auburn's good recruiting is a product of __________________________." (Fill in the blank with: "cheating", "Malzahn who will soon be gone", "selling playing time", "dubious commitments that won't actually sign", "players taking the first big time offer because others won't offer due to knowing they won't qualify").  Standard issue bammer babble...Auburn CAN'T possibly recruit on the up and up, AND sign the player, AND have them stay!  Auburn Sucks!  Nobody would want to come to Auburn unless they got paid!  Blah, blah, blah.  SSDD, fuck off greasycocksucker!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
The greatest difference maker between Alabama and Auburn is the fact that Paul Bryant signed a 10 year contract to became both the Athletic Director and Head Coach at Alabama after leaving Texas A&M with the same jobs.

We know of Junction, Texas in 1954. Two years later Bryant's team went 9-0-1 winning the SWC Championship but could not go to a bowl due to a two year ban because of players receiving money from a year earlier. Bryant went 8-3 in 1957 before accepting at Alabama in 1958.

Yes the climate was different because news of certain notoriety didn't follow a coach nor scare off a school intent on winning. Shug Jordan was at once disadvantaged by not holding the title of Athletic Director at Auburn. Doug Barfield did his damn best to keep Auburn on equal footing and Pat Dye knew exactly what he was up against.

It might make one wince to see Dye still about town, but Bryant had intentions of continuing on as AD in Tuscaloosa after retiring as Head Coach. And the negatives and positives of a Pat Dye might not balance well for some at Auburn, but I do not wish to imagine the landscape of football in this state without him. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions