Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

**BOOM MUTHA F***A!!!!** Cameron Newton has committed to Auburn....

Token

Re: **BOOM MUTHA F***A!!!!** Cameron Newton has committed to Auburn....
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
I disagree with every single word of this post except "Mr."

What about "the"?  And if so, do you disagree with the 1st usage, the 2nd usage, or both?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
Exactly. Then you have somebody like Greg McElroy come in and help lead your team to a national championship game. I've found that if you just automatically assume that whatever QB you sign will end up flopping, you feel alot better. Just lower the bar fairly low. Kind of like Phillip Simms. He's the #1 QB in the country, looks pretty impressive, did well in the UA game, but the position is very fickle and you have a high rate of floppage there. I just don't find it worth the time to be excited over a QB. As many QBs have shown (Kodi Burns, Star Jackson), you can look absolutely phenomenal in HS, then fall flat on your face in college ball.
What about JuCo? What about as the #2 guy behind what is commonly excepted as the best college football player of all time? What about still getting PT as a true freshman against SEC defenses?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »

If I'm picking up a good signal (cloudy and cold in beautiful Memphis) I am looking for a dual-purpose QB with presence capable of stepping in and making good decisions and comfortable in the offense by the third or fourth game as opposed to a starry-eyed freshman who will lead us to two or three less wins. It might also be possible for some of the others to actually seize the position and run it comparable to the likes of a McElroy which is fine if one doesn't run the spread.

I trust Malzahn to make the correct choice. And, I still think if Burns works hard at WR in the off season he can make the offense better and possibly get more professional playing time than our Tim Tebow. Newton can option. He has speed and strength to break beyond the DL which is one thing our spread has lacked. The other missing element is a true deep threat (also someone who can get it there) which will give the offense another dimension.

So we have a possession receiver, several screen and a serious reverse threat along with McCalleb, an outside running threat. Even without a Tate to do the hardest yards a setup such as one with WVU prior to RR's departure can buy some time until an inside game develops.

We lose only three actual starters on offense so there is much reason to be positive. Our defense will improve but I truly don't think that Northwestern's pass crazy attack is any indication of Auburns weaknesses other than lack of quality depth.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
What about JuCo? What about as the #2 guy behind what is commonly excepted as the best college football player of all time? What about still getting PT as a true freshman against SEC defenses?
Same thing applies. JUCO isn't HS, and it isn't college, or SEC. Its somewhere in between. Sure, alot of good HS players go JUCO, and there is some good talent littered throughout the JUCO ranks. Some JUCOs in the southeast receive a good dose of players from SEC teams that just can't make the grades, therefore making them good. However, not all JUCOs are that well off and offer an equal level of competition to those more loaded JUCO teams. Some of them aren't in the "feeder pattern" of SEC schools like others, so its not like you have SEC-caliber players going against SEC-caliber players every play. There is still a level of adjustment that they will have to go through transitioning from JUCO to college/SEC. Quick question. Who was the last JUCO QB to lead an SEC team to an SEC Championship. To lead a team to a national championship? Its just not as simple as "Oh, he's a JUCO QB, and he was Tebow's backup a few years back, so he will be fine." I understand that most first year starters don't do as well as McElroy has either, but I would say he is the exception, not the rule. And its not like he's all-world, for that matter.

And if you are hanging your hat on your whole "well, since he was #2 to Tebow, he's legit" argument, then thats a pretty loose peg to depend on. If you think that UF's QB recruiting hasn't suffered because of Tebow, you are mistaken. What makes you think that, while Tebow was there, UF was going to land a truly elite QB that could go start anywhere in the country and be a worldbeater, but instead would rather sit behind Tebow for 3-4 years? Think about that. Right now, they have Brantley behind Tebow, who aside from throwing 11 passes against The Citadel, has only thrown 3-4 passes in 5 games this season. Behind Brantley next season? A guy who will be a true sophomore, and a true freshman. Thats it. They have one 3* QB signed for the 2010 class at this point. I'm not saying that just because he's the backup, that he's shitty. Obviously UF wanted him for a reason. But consider the fact that the majority of QBs can't hack it, and then figure in that SOMEBODY had to be the backup. On the other hand, he may be every bit of legit. Nobody knows, because he's played all of like 3 snaps of actual college ball.

Alabama got damn lucky, and McElroy turned out to be good, and just happened to have alot of great athletes surrounding him to make it work. We actually got an upgrade from our QB last season, for the most part anyways. You don't see that happening much with first year starting QBs.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:24:30 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »
Same thing applies. JUCO isn't HS, and it isn't college, or SEC. Its somewhere in between. Sure, alot of good HS players go JUCO, and there is some good talent littered throughout the JUCO ranks. Some JUCOs in the southeast receive a good dose of players from SEC teams that just can't make the grades, therefore making them good. However, not all JUCOs are that well off and offer an equal level of competition to those more loaded JUCO teams. Some of them aren't in the "feeder pattern" of SEC schools like others, so its not like you have SEC-caliber players going against SEC-caliber players every play. There is still a level of adjustment that they will have to go through transitioning from JUCO to college/SEC. Quick question. Who was the last JUCO QB to lead an SEC team to an SEC Championship. To lead a team to a national championship? Its just not as simple as "Oh, he's a JUCO QB, and he was Tebow's backup a few years back, so he will be fine." I understand that most first year starters don't do as well as McElroy has either, but I would say he is the exception, not the rule. And its not like he's all-world, for that matter.

And if you are hanging your hat on your whole "well, since he was #2 to Tebow, he's legit" argument, then thats a pretty loose peg to depend on. If you think that UF's QB recruiting hasn't suffered because of Tebow, you are mistaken. What makes you think that, while Tebow was there, UF was going to land a truly elite QB that could go start anywhere in the country and be a worldbeater, but instead would rather sit behind Tebow for 3-4 years? Think about that. Right now, they have Brantley behind Tebow, who aside from throwing 11 passes against The Citadel, has only thrown 3-4 passes in 5 games this season. Behind Brantley next season? A guy who will be a true sophomore, and a true freshman. Thats it. They have one 3* QB signed for the 2010 class at this point. I'm not saying that just because he's the backup, that he's shitty. Obviously UF wanted him for a reason. But consider the fact that the majority of QBs can't hack it, and then figure in that SOMEBODY had to be the backup. On the other hand, he may be every bit of legit. Nobody knows, because he's played all of like 3 snaps of actual college ball.

Alabama got damn lucky, and McElroy turned out to be good, and just happened to have alot of great athletes surrounding him to make it work. We actually got an upgrade from our QB last season, for the most part anyways. You don't see that happening much with first year starting QBs.
Rudi Johnson says fuck you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »
Rudi Johnson says fuck you.
Wasn't he a RB?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jmar

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »
That's what we hope for, a Rudi Johnson type of player that can transition into the SEC (Tebows back-up) and take one dimentional AU to multi-dimentional AU.

No, Rudi was a steam roller.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »
Kind of like Phillip Simms. He's the #1 QB in the country, looks pretty impressive, did well in the UA game, but the position is very fickle and you have a high rate of floppage there.
Nope...he's the #4 QB in the Country, Cameron Newton is the #1 QB in the Country coming out this year HS, Juco, or Prep.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »
YES, he is, and it is a Bamer's sworn duty to have us believe otherwise and cast doubt on our new-found prize.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »
Nope...he's the #4 QB in the Country, Cameron Newton is the #1 QB in the Country coming out this year HS, Juco, or Prep.
My bad, I was thinking his QB classification, which is pro-style. He is the #2 pro-style QB. What service are you looking at that ranks players all in one lump regardless of HS, JUCO, or prep, and then regardless of style? Rivals separates them into pro-style and dual-threat QBs, then has different rankings for JUCO. Newton is the #1 JUCO player.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2010, 02:13:50 PM »
Pro style indeed, a spread back-up to everyone's All-American, the "Golden Boy", Mr. Touchdown USA etc...
We think our guy has built-in adaptability to fit in the with the style of Gus pour me another cup of coffee Malzahn and comparable to types at Tulsa as well as Arkansas who were not ultimately spread-type QBs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
My bad, I was thinking his QB classification, which is pro-style. He is the #2 pro-style QB. What service are you looking at that ranks players all in one lump regardless of HS, JUCO, or prep, and then regardless of style? Rivals separates them into pro-style and dual-threat QBs, then has different rankings for JUCO. Newton is the #1 JUCO player.
Cameron Newton is the Top Rated QB, regardless of classification.

Rivals JUCO Top 50:
1. QB Cameron Newton ***** 6'6" 247lbs. (Auburn) *#1 JUCO player and the top rated QB regardless of classification*

Rivals' Top 100:
51. QB Devin Gardner **** 6'4" 195lbs. (Michigan) *#1 Rated HS QB*
52. QB Jake Heaps **** 6'2" 195lbs. (BYU) *#2 Rated HS QB*
55. QB Phillip Sims **** 6'2" 209lbs. (SPuat) *#3 Rated HS QB*
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:23:44 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »

Well irregardless of ones opinion my good Bamer and Prowler of skreetdom, the young man will hone his craft at Auburn for at least one season, possibly even two, and Auburn should be a force in the SEC West with his addition for he will proudly don the orange and blue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »

Well irregardless of ones opinion my good Bamer and Prowler of skreetdom, the young man will hone his craft at Auburn for at least one season, possibly even two, and Auburn should be a force in the SEC West with his addition for he will proudly don the orange and blue.
Correctimundo....

And A.J. McBrodie will be the next SPuat heisman.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »
Cameron Newton is the Top Rated QB, regardless of classification.

Rivals JUCO Top 50:
1. QB Cameron Newton ***** 6'6" 247lbs. (Auburn) *#1 JUCO player and the top rated QB regardless of classification*

Rivals' Top 100:
51. QB Devin Gardner **** 6'4" 195lbs. (Michigan) *#1 Rated HS QB*
52. QB Jake Heaps **** 6'2" 195lbs. (BYU) *#2 Rated HS QB*
55. QB Phillip Sims **** 6'2" 209lbs. (SPuat) *#3 Rated HS QB*
Again, show me what service says that Newton is the #1 QB regardless of HS, JUCO, or prep. Rivals separates them by pro-style, dual-threat, then gives separate rankings for HS, JUCO, and prep. Scout lumps them all under QB, and doesn't assign a position rank for JUCO players. ESPN doesn't assign a position rank for JUCO players either. I'm not arguing a Newton vs Sims angle, nor am I arguing a pro-style vs dual threat angly. I'm simply asking where you get your "he's the #1 QB regardless of HS, JUCO, or prep" information from. All you did here was post that he is the #1 JUCO player (obviously making him the #1 JUCO QB), and that three other guys are rated as the #1, #2, and #3 ranked HS QBs. No shit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:43:50 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
Have we established that Rivals is a water toting rolling advertisement for Tuscaloosa yet?
 If not then explain why in less than 150 words and submit your findings within the next few minutes as I am waiting very patiently.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
Have we established that Rivals is a water toting rolling advertisement for Tuscaloosa yet?
 If not then explain why in less than 150 words and submit your findings within the next few minutes as I am waiting very patiently.
Rivals has AU ranked #3 nationally in recruiting. Scout and ESPN both have AU ranked #9 nationally. Rivals has Alabama as #2, and both Scout and ESPN have Alabama ranked as #3. Something tells me that if Scout and ESPN ranked JUCO players, AU's team rank would be a little better than #9. Are you now wanting to tell me that all three services are in cahoots to promote Alabama?

What?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:00:21 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »

Oh no, not that Rivals would allow Auburn to surpass Tuscaloosa in such a contest of stars. My loci for this day is to simply point out past statements and disagreements for the sake of pointing them out.

Yes today I will be, chief instigator.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »
Hold on a second, Newton is re-committing to Auburn today in case no one is aware of the fact already.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
Hold on a second, Newton is re-committing to Auburn today in case no one is aware of the fact already.
Sweet.......He shall count as Double Points then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions