Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Why Alabama Sports Writers are Fucking Idiots

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Why Alabama Sports Writers are Fucking Idiots
« on: September 08, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/pgattis.ssf?/base/sports/125214219220720.xml&coll=1

League faces an upsetting weekend - Page 7

For the proud Southeastern Conference, winners of the last three national championships, this could be a frightening weekend.

Virginia Tech (against Alabama), Louisiana Tech (against Auburn) and Oklahoma State (against Georgia) are three nightmares waiting to happen for the league on Opening Day. The Cowboys are favored to beat Georgia, Alabama is neck-deep in turmoil and Auburn is vulnerable with a new coach and an experienced opponent.

With the new $3 billion TV package that debuts this weekend, could the SEC have invited the world to watch its collapse?

Louisiana Tech at Auburn

Time and TV: Today at 6 p.m. on ESPNU

Storyline: Ridiculed as the pick to replace Tommy Tuberville, Gene Chizik will put his first Auburn team on the field. But attrition has been costly and a loss of depth has been the result. Meanwhile, with nine starters back on offense and seven on defense from an 8-5 team, the Bulldogs look a lot like an upset waiting to happen.

Stat:: Auburn will be fielding a third offensive scheme in the span of one year. Neither Tony Franklin's pass-happy spread nor the grade-school scheme after Franklin was fired worked. The Tigers scored five TDs last year in their last five games against FBS opponents.

Spread: Auburn by 131/2

Prediction: Louisiana Tech 24-16

No. 5 Alabama vs. No. 7 Virginia Tech

Time and TV: Today at 7 p.m. on ABC

Storyline: The Hokies lost top rusher Darren Evans in the preseason to a knee injury. But that's been calm compared to what Alabama is going through. Just this week, two starters were cleared by the NCAA, a backup still in limbo and a starting defensive end shot as robbery victim. And a first-time starter at QB against a team that eats them for lunch.

Stat: Virginia Tech has never beaten a Top 5 opponent away from home. And Tech is 1-24 all-time against Top 5 opponents. And Tech is 0-1 at Georgia Dome and 26-49-5 against SEC opponents.

Spread: Alabama by 6.

Prediction: Virginia Tech 16-13

Kentucky vs. Miami (Ohio)

Time and TV: Today at 11 a.m. on ESPNU

Storyline: Playing in Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, the Wildcats are chasing a fourth straight bowl bid, which would break the school record set when Bear Bryant walked the bluegrass. Kentucky had heavy losses on defense but has experience at the skill positions on offense.

Stat: The Redhawks were awful on defense last year, allowing more than 400 yards per game. For better or worse, five starters return from that 2-10 team.

Spread: Kentucky by 15

Prediction: Kentucky 27-13

Western Kentucky at Tennessee

Time and TV: Today at 11 a.m. on FOX

Storyline: After perhaps the most eventful offseason ever for a new coach, Lane Kiffin will finally coach a game. The Vols have entrusted the offense to QB Jonathan Crompton but expect to see a lot of freshmen like RB Bryce Brown and WR Nu'Keese Richardson.

Stat: Sports Illustrated rated the Hilltopers as No. 120 out of 120 FBS teams. Crompton threw just four TD passes in six games as a starter last year before getting benched. The Vols return six starters from a defense that was tied for third nationally in fewest yards allowed.

Spread: Tennessee by 30

Prediction: Tennessee 38-7

No. 13 Georgia at No. 9 Oklahoma State

Time and TV: Today at 2:30 p.m. on ABC

Storyline: Cowboys coach Mike Gundy isolated his team from the media during fall camp. And Gundy warned that a pregame handshake between the teams would not be a good idea. Meanwhile, Georgia faces life after Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno.

Stat: Georgia WR A.J. Green caught more passes as a freshman last year (56) than new QB senior Joe Cox has completed in his career (33). The Cowboys ended last season at home by scoring 41 points against Oklahoma. But they allowed 61.

Spread: OSU by 5

Prediction: OSU 27-17

Charleston Southern at No. 1 Florida

Time and TV: 6 p.m. on Fox Sports Net.

Storyline: Don't blink or you may miss Florida QB Tim Tebow and other starters. They likely won't be on the field much tonight as the Gators begin defense of their national title. For the first time, coach Urban Meyer will be working with a new offensive coordinator in Steve Addazio.

Stat: Try 58, as in the record number of first-place votes Florida received in the preseason AP poll. Or 19, the SEC-leading number of returning starters the Gators have.

Spread: None.

Prediction: Florida 63-3.

Jackson State at Mississippi State

Time and TV: 2:30 p.m. on ESPNU.

Storyline: The Dan Mullen era begins for the Bulldogs in a historic game. It's the first time an SEC team has played a team from the Southwestern Athletic Conference. Mullen will also be unveiling his spread option offense that he ran as offensive coordinator at Florida.

Stat: How about two - as in the number of QBs Mullen plans to employ today? A close competition between Chris Relf and Tyson Lee remains unsettled but Mullen said both will play.

Spread: None

Prediction: MSU 27-10

Missouri State at Arkansas

Time and TV: 6 p.m. on pay-per-view

Storyline: Teams have been known to have big seasons under a second-year coach (see Alabama in '08 and Florida in '06 as recent examples). Bobby Petrino, armed with Michigan transfer Ryan Mallett at QB, hopes the trend continues.

Stat: Pound for pound, Arkansas RB Michael Smith (176 pounds) may be the best in the SEC. As a freshman at Michigan, Mallett completed just 43.3 percent of his passes.

Spread: None.

Prediction: Arkansas 44-17

Western Carolina at Vanderbilt

Time and TV: 6:30 p.m. on CSS.

Storyline: Winners of a bowl game for the first time since 1955, Vandy has opted to go with the QB who won that bowl game. Sophomore Larry Smith from Prattville edged Mackenzi Adams in the preseason. The 'Dores have nine starters back on defense.

Stat: Jared Hawkins is recovering from a foot injury after rushing for a team-high 593 yards. Smith has just 167 career passing yards.

Spread: None

Prediction: Vandy 42-6

No. 11 LSU at Washington

Time and TV: 9:30 p.m. on ESPN.

Storyline: How much will a cross-country trip affect the Tigers? Or how much resistance can the Huskies (0-12 in '08) provide? QB Jordan Jefferson assumes command of the offense but the defense was big problem last year. Under former Tennessee defensive coordinator John Chavis, it should be better.

Stat: Zero, as in the number of games new Washington coach Steve Sarkisian has entered as a head coach. He was formerly the offensive coordinator at Southern Cal.

Spread: LSU by 171/2

Prediction: LSU 41-17

No. 8 Ole Miss at Memphis

Time and TV: Sunday 2:30 p.m. on ESPN

Storyline: Ole Miss has its highest preseason ranking in 40 years. It all starts with QB Jevan Snead and an array of talent on offense. The Rebels, skeptics say, appear primed for a fall after being put on such a pedestal.

Stat: DE Greg Hardy is ready to be an every-down player. He has 321/2 tackles for loss in his career, including 211/2 sacks.

Spread: Ole Miss by 17

Prediction: Ole Miss 38-14
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Why Alabama Sports Writers are Fucking Idiots
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/pgattis.ssf?/base/sports/125214219220720.xml&coll=1

Some of those predictions were pretty accurate. I don't really think anybody could have accurately predicted the UA/VT game to be honest with you. But some of those predictions were fairly spot on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »
Some of those predictions were pretty accurate. I don't really think anybody could have accurately predicted the UA/VT game to be honest with you. But some of those predictions were fairly spot on.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. With the exception of the AU and UAT games, this was a pretty good prediction.

Chad, maybe you should have fleshed out your "why they are morons" point a bit more. Just providing the article didn't really show it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. With the exception of the AU and UAT games, this was a pretty good prediction.

Chad, maybe you should have fleshed out your "why they are morons" point a bit more. Just providing the article didn't really show it.
Yeah, I thought maybe I was missing something......I do that sometimes. I mean damn, they even predicted Vandy scoring 40+ points. Who the fuck would ever predict that? Just because AU beat La Tech and alot of people thought they might not they are idiots? Clear this up for me....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:35:46 PM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:37:59 PM »
Mostly our prediction.

uat's being wrong as well.

LSU & Kentucky were pretty off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
Mostly our prediction.

uat's being wrong as well.

LSU & Kentucky were pretty off.

Play on playa. I just need to know where you're coming from and why. I like to agree with you, but it was hard to blindly commit in this instance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »
I AGREE Blindly!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
All I know is they were a damn site better than my Crown predictions.  But then, my tabby cat could have scratched out better picks in the litter than the turd I laid Saturday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 04:31:14 PM »
All I know is they were a damn site better than my Crown predictions.  But then, my tabby cat could have scratched out better picks in the litter than the turd I laid Saturday.
Choir ....Preach on Brother, Preach on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum