Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

75 on Schollarship?????

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
75 on Schollarship?????
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
I had no idea we were quite this bad off.

Auburn will kick off football season with approximately 75 players on scholarship
Posted by Charles Goldberg -- Birmingham News August 07, 2009 8:09 AM
Categories: Football

This story appeared in Friday's Birmingham News.

AUBURN -- Coach Gene Chizik's goal is to turn Auburn's fortunes around this football season, but he's going to have to try it playing shorthanded.
Todd Van Emst/Auburn

The Tigers currently have about 75 players on scholarship, which is considerably below the 85 allowed by the NCAA.

"Our numbers," Chizik conceded, "are down a little bit."

Auburn's scholarship numbers are halfway between the limits allowed for Division I and Division I-AA schools.

How did Auburn get in this fix? Here's the most damaging way: Less than half the players signed in the 2007 and 2008 recruiting classes are still on the roster. Additionally, the normal attrition of losing senior players and losing two players early to the NFL have taken a toll.

Chizik has conceded he has a shortage of players by scheduling most of his preseason practices late in the afternoon in an attempt to keep to keep players away from heat-related problems.

Simply, he can't afford to lose players to non-injury-related issues. That's why most of Auburn's preseason practices are starting around 5 p.m.

"You've got to be smart," Chizik said.

Where are all the players? Rosters are built over a five-year period because of the proliferation of fifth-year seniors, but the bulk of the roster comes over a four-year span. Here is a look at Auburn's four most recent recruiting classes:

•2009 signing class: Auburn received good news from the NCAA Clearinghouse this week when two signees were approved, but the Tigers lost five players to junior colleges when they didn't qualify and another player to professional baseball. There is still a signee waiting to learn his fate.

Auburn has 21 of its 28 signees in school. Florida State transfer Aubrey Phillips makes it 22 newcomers. The maximum allowed by the NCAA is 25.

The biggest names in the signing class made it in quarterback Tyrik Rollison, wide receivers DeAngelo Benton, Emory Blake and Travante Stallworth; tight end Phillip Lutzenkirchen; defensive linemen Nick Fairley and Nosa Eguae; and linebacker Eltoro Freeman and running back Onterio McCalebb.

•2008 signing class: Only 17 of the 29 players that were signed are on the roster. Some were quickly dispatched to junior colleges. Some transferred or left.

•2007 signing class: Fourteen of the 30 signing-day players are still on board. There are some notable names still on the team, like Kodi Burns, Josh Bynes, Ryan Pugh and Wes Byrum, but notable signee Enrique Davis is at Ole Miss, and there's a list of players that have faded from memory.

•2006 signing class: Sixteen of the 25 signed are still on the roster, including some of the highest-profile players: Neil Caudle, Mario Fannin, Tim Hawthorne and Ben Tate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: 75 on Schollarship?????
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:36:15 AM »
Damn, a few key injuries and were fucked!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
Damn, a few key injuries and were fucked!

I knew we were thin but this is closer to suffering from anorexia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »
Bama can only beat us when we're down!  Probation!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:02:45 AM »
The 2007 class, which the author says has 14 out of 30 remaining, was one of the highest rated classes ever at Auburn.  I had no idea about this either.  Is this typical of most schools?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
The 2007 class, which the author says has 14 out of 30 remaining, was one of the highest rated classes ever at Auburn.  I had no idea about this either.  Is this typical of most schools?

Haha...no. 

It's typical to have attrition, but to lose over half of your signees (and only two to the NFL?) is not good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »
Clearly this is Chizik's fault.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Argo

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »
Dax screwed you guys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
Dax screwed you guys.

Our 3rd string special teams unit is just flat out going to suck this year. 

Never underestimate the Dax Factor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »
I thought the actual number of scholarship players was 71. The article says "about 75", so it never gives an exact number. I think 71 is an exact number, though. If anybody else has better info, I'm cool with that. I'm basing it off of what I saw on a few AU boards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »
Dax screwed you guys.

Count on a bammer to spew idiotic BS in every thread.  Can't think of anything intelligent to say?  Need attention?  Say something stupid.  It's the bammer way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 12:19:10 PM »
Count on a bammer to spew idiotic BS in every thread.  Can't think of anything intelligent to say?  Need attention?  Say something stupid.  It's the bammer way.
Somebody needs to get laid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Argo

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »
Count on a bammer to spew idiotic BS in every thread.  Can't think of anything intelligent to say?  Need attention?  Say something stupid.  It's the bammer way.

You are either the dumbest poster on this forum, or have no sense of humor.  Either way,  :fu: junior.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:15:51 PM by Argo »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 07:33:13 PM »
You are either the dumbest poster on this forum, or have no sense of humor.  Either way,  :fu: junior.

Seen your post, don't think I'll take over your spot as dumbest poster.   :fu: Right back atcha fuckstick.  Who doesn't have a sense of humor here?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »
For the record...I thought Argo's post was pretty fucking funny...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »
Seen your post, don't think I'll take over your spot as dumbest poster.   :fu: Right back atcha fuckstick.  Who doesn't have a sense of humor here?

You must be related to WarTiger.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:56 PM »
Clearly this is Chizik's fault.
the worst hire in Tigersx history!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 10:29:54 PM »
You must be related to WarTiger.

Them's fightin' words.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
Let the excuse making begin. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 09:12:04 PM »
Avoid injuries and this number is not a factor at all. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions