Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What history tells us...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
What history tells us...
« on: May 15, 2009, 11:28:58 AM »
I'm going to pull a Prowler and steal somebody else's research.  This was compiled by somebody on another site and it is a pretty compelling argument for being concerned about the future. 

Alabama:
Mike Dubose 24-23 ; D. Franchione 17-8 ; Mike Shula 26-23 (.554)
Predecessor: Gene Stallings 62-25 (.712)
Years wasted: 10

Oklahoma:
Gary Gibbs 44-23 ; H. Schnellenberger 5-5 ; John Blake 12-22 (.550)
Predecessor: Barry Switzer 157-29 (.837)
Years wasted: 10

USC:
Ted Tollner 26-20 ; Larry Smith 44-25 ; Paul Hackett 19-18 (.586)
Predecessor: McKay / Robinson 231-75 (.755)
Years wasted: 13

Nebraska:
Bill Callahan 27-22 (.551)
Predecessor: Osborne / Solich 313-68 (.822)
Years wasted: 4 and counting

Georgia:
Ray Goff 46-34 ; Jim Donnan 40-19 (.619)
Predecessor: Vince Dooley 201-77 (.723)
Years coasting: 12

Texas:
David McWilliams 31-26 ; John Mackovic 41-28 (.571)
Predecessor: Royal / Akers 253-78 (.764)
Years wasted: 11

Averages:
"New coaches" winning % = .572
Predecessors winning % = .769
Wasted years = 9.3

Adding to this research, however, we should note that Auburn is an exception to this rule:

Auburn:
Tommy Tuberville 85-40 (.680)

Predecessor:
Terry Bowden 47-17-1 (.720)

Predecessor:
Pat Dye 99–39–4 (.711)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: What history tells us...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »
Ok. So I don't see the significance of this research.

Lightning rarely strikes twice where great coaches are proceeded by greater coaches? This is truly a groundbreaking discovery.

As your research suggests, Auburn has done a fine job of consistantly hiring good coaches in the modern era.

Was it supposed to be a slight on Chizik? If so, it was a poorly formulated one. If we are expecting this trend to carry over to Auburn due to the success of Tuberville, then it wouldn't matter if we hired Mike Ditka as head coach, he would fail.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:09:24 PM »
Ok. So I don't see the significance of this research.

Lightning rarely strikes twice where great coaches are proceeded by greater coaches? This is truly a groundbreaking discovery.

As your research suggests, Auburn has done a fine job of consistantly hiring good coaches in the modern era.

Was it supposed to be a slight on Chizik? If so, it was a poorly formulated one. If we are expecting this trend to carry over to Auburn due to the success of Tuberville, then it wouldn't matter if we hired Mike Ditka as head coach, he would fail.

I think he was simply posting it as being interesting.  Talk about being crtical...

The fuck up factor in all of this though is Jacobs, he didn't hire Tubs, and all of his hires to date have been worthless. Chizik hopefully will be a lucky hire.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:10:49 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »
Da Bears!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »
Da Bears!
Are you smoking something today? Must be some good shit!!

:high:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:20:05 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
I think he was simply posting it as being interesting.  Talk about being crtical...

I think Chad's defensiveness is symptomatic of a larger feeling permeating the board lately.  The constant back and forth about Chizik's hire has polarized some people.

Some posters posts' are immediately viewed through a particular lens.  This goes for the pro- as well as the anti-Chizik posters.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:26:45 PM »
Sorry should have put a warning label on it... :sarcasm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »
Sorry should have put a warning label on it... :sarcasm:

Sarcasm or no, I think you identified something important.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »
I think Chad's defensiveness is symptomatic of a larger feeling permeating the board lately.  The constant back and forth about Chizik's hire has polarized some people.

Some posters posts' are immediately viewed through a particular lens.  This goes for the pro- as well as the anti-Chizik posters.

That in combinations with the fact that he explicitly said it.

This was compiled by somebody on another site and it is a pretty compelling argument for being concerned about the future.

But yeah, congratulations. You found six whole examples where good coaches were followed by a couple mediocre coaches. Shocking revelation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 12:41:16 PM »
Ok we all get the 2 camps...

Pro-Chizik
Prowler
AChop 3.114
AUChizad

Anti-Chizik
Kaos

Lots of people in between, some being more pro and some being more anti.  This is what I will say, are we tired of it yes... a lot of people are.  Is there anything else to talk about...no not really.  If you find yourself posting on her less grow some nads (Tiger Wench Excluded, she has her husbands).

This is an open forum, everyone decided that when this place was open we would not over moderate or ban people.  People are free to bash, cuss, and otherwise pretty much do anything they want.  This forum is for adults, its not for everyone (pussies).

My suggestion put folks that you don't like on ignore, and start posting more often about interesting topics.  Make shit up, get naked pictures of Ogres mom, (wait I already have those), derail the topic (most of us try to do that).  I for one dream of a Tigers X where a majority of our membership doesn't call each other fuck faces.  

:cents:

Peace,
Fuck Face

Oh, yeah and try some withstraint when making a comment... if it isn't constructive and we've heard your argument 1000 times, we get it.  This goes for both sides.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:49:50 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »
Ok we all get the 2 camps...

Pro-Chizik
Prowler
AChop 3.114
AUChizad

Anti-Chizik
Kaos

Lots of people in between, some being more pro and some being more anti.  This is what I will say, are we tired of it yes... a lot of people are.  Is there anything else to talk about...no not really.  If you find yourself posting on her less grow some nads (Tiger Wench Excluded, she has her husbands).

This is an open forum, everyone decided that when this place was open we would not over moderate or ban people.  People are free to bash, cuss, and otherwise pretty much do anything they want.  This forum is for adults, its not for everyone (pussies). My suggestion put folks that you don't like on ignore, and start posting more often about interesting topics.  Make shit up, get naked pictures of Ogres mom, (wait I already have those), derail the topic (most of us try to do that).  I for one dream of a Tigers X where a majority of our membership doesn't call each other fuck faces.  

:cents:

Peace,
Fuck Face

Oh, yeah and try some withstraint when making a comment... if it isn't constructive and we've heard your argument 1000 times, we get it.  This goes for both sides.

Hey, fuck you, fuck face, you fuckin' fuck.

It's a slow time of the year.  Fucking NHL playoffs...bleh.  NBA playoffs...marginally interesting.  The first quarter of a 162 game baseball season...fucking yawn.

There isn't much to discuss, unfortunately.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »

Hey, fuck you, fuck face, you fuckin' fuck.

It's a slow time of the year.  Fucking NHL playoffs...bleh.  NBA playoffs...marginally interesting.  The first quarter of a 162 game baseball season...fucking yawn.

There isn't much to discuss, unfortunately.
My concern is when AU season starts...one group is going to be right and its going to be ugly. I wake up in cold sweats at night thinking about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »
My concern is when AU season starts...one group is going to be right and its going to be ugly. I wake up in cold sweats at night thinking about it.

Actually I think the answer will lie somewhere in the middle: 7-9 wins.

Not a spectacular failure for a first year staff (especially when then previous year resulted in 5-7).  But not also the raging success that some predict.

I think this will result in some very good discussion.

I'm an optimist, someone pass me that half-full glass of Sweetwater 420.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »
That in combinations with the fact that he explicitly said it.

But yeah, congratulations. You found six whole examples where good coaches were followed by a couple mediocre coaches. Shocking revelation.

Oh fuck you, mr. titties in a wad. 

I didn't do the research.  I saw it and thought it was interesting.  It's rare that schools follow success with more success.  I also found it interesting that Auburn has been the exception to this rule -- as I pointed out. 

I didn't say shit about Chizik so you wasted your time spitting his nuts out of your mouth to reply. 

You're so far up the fucker's ass that if i said it was raining you'd shit a bloody hernia screaming that it's not Chizik's fault there's water in the sky because he didn't have any sunshine to work with in Iowa.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »

Not a spectacular failure for a first year staff (especially when then previous year resulted in 5-7).  But not also the raging success that some predict.

I agree with this. To be honest, I not only don't think that I, but even Chop or Prowler are as ragingly blindly pro-Chizik and think the man is infallible as Kaos likes to charactarize.

I know myself, am mostly just reacting to his (and Greasy's) constant unsubstantiated slams. I'm waiting and seeing. He's declaring this the end of Auburn footbal as we know it. And any rational argument against this is "Chizik dick sucking" to him. He can't be reasoned with, and it's annoying.

Undue criticism like this probably does make me root for the guy a little more than I normally would. It's similar to why I was way more conservative during the Bush era, and why I find myself swinging further to the left now under Obama. Not because I love either of them, but because the unfounded criticism against them irritates the shit out of me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »

What have I said about this?  Repeatedly?

The talent is there for seven, eight or nine wins next season (just as you postulate).  So whatever happens next year won't really mean much unless it's an epic disaster.  Anything less than seven wins though?  Ugh.    

I've also predicted delirious hoe downs by select members of this board who will celebrate their knowledge and savvy when this does, in fact, happen.  To be expected.  They'll attempt to rub it in my face because they were "right" and the  mighty Kaos was "wrong."  Whatever.  

If he's still around three years from now, then I think we can accurately begin to assess his abilities. Saban turned the corner in two. So did Meyer.  

We're sitting at five with Lebo now and all we've really seen is a blinker that indicates his intent to turn. The corner's still a shadow.  Will we suffer the same with Chizik if he limps along as Lebo has?  Jacobs' history says we will.  

But you know what?  Even if I am wrong (and I'll gladly suffer some capering glee from a few troglodytes in exchange for an SEC title or more).. even if I AM wrong you have to remember that Bo Jackson didn't score a touchdown every time he touched the ball. Hank Aaron did strike out sometimes. Johnny Depp has been refused pussy.  So it happens.  And I can live with it.  Hope I have to.  For what it's worth nobody will be sicker than me if I turn out to be right.  I was pretty sick about the Franklin debacle despite very similar croaking coming from most of the same suspects who are now firmly wedged in Chizik's ass crack.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 01:13:44 PM »
I agree with this. To be honest, I not only don't think that I, but even Chop or Prowler are as ragingly blindly pro-Chizik and think the man is infallible as Kaos likes to charactarize.

I know myself, am mostly just reacting to his (and Greasy's) constant unsubstantiated slams. I'm waiting and seeing. He's declaring this the end of Auburn footbal as we know it. And any rational argument against this is "Chizik dick sucking" to him. He can't be reasoned with, and it's annoying.

Undue criticism like this probably does make me root for the guy a little more than I normally would. It's similar to why I was way more conservative during the Bush era, and why I find myself swinging further to the left now under Obama. Not because I love either of them, but because the unfounded criticism against them irritates the shit out of me.

Unsubstantiated?  Nope.
Unfounded? No.
The end of Auburn football as we know it? Maybe.

Seriously.  Were you alive for the Barfield days?  Do you remember what it was like? Don't want to revisit that in my lifetime. 

I CAN be reasoned with.  Frankly I'm waiting to see what happens too.  I just have a greater sense of dread than some of you do.   But declaring something as the gospel and then shitting yourself blind when I refuse to accept it isn't reasoning.  I have my positions and I provide support for them.  That's what it's about. 

I haven't asked a soul to see things my way.  I only add an alternate way of looking at the same issue. 

I have no personal issues with anybody except for one, and then only because he has absolutely ZERO clue where the board ends and reality begins. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »
What have I said about this?  Repeatedly?

The talent is there for seven, eight or nine wins next season (just as you postulate).  So whatever happens next year won't really mean much unless it's an epic disaster.  Anything less than seven wins though?  Ugh.   

I've also predicted delirious hoe downs by select members of this board who will celebrate their knowledge and savvy when this does, in fact, happen.  To be expected.  They'll attempt to rub it in my face because they were "right" and the  mighty Kaos was "wrong."  Whatever. 

If he's still around three years from now, then I think we can accurately begin to assess his abilities. Saban turned the corner in two. So did Meyer. 

We're sitting at five with Lebo now and all we've really seen is a blinker that indicates his intent to turn. The corner's still a shadow.  Will we suffer the same with Chizik if he limps along as Lebo has?  Jacobs' history says we will. 

But you know what?  Even if I am wrong (and I'll gladly suffer some capering glee from a few troglodytes in exchange for an SEC title or more).. even if I AM wrong you have to remember that Bo Jackson didn't score a touchdown every time he touched the ball. Hank Aaron did strike out sometimes. Johnny Depp has been refused pussy.  So it happens.  And I can live with it.  Hope I have to.  For what it's worth nobody will be sicker than me if I turn out to be right.  I was pretty sick about the Franklin debacle despite very similar croaking coming from most of the same suspects who are now firmly wedged in Chizik's ass crack.

What you just simply cannot grasp is that you are the extreme one here vastly further away from the center of this "debate".
But go on with your imperious rants about trogledytes and their hoedowns...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:20:52 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
What you just simply cannot grasp is that you are the extreme one here vastly further away from the center of this "debate".
But go on with your imperious rants about trogledytes and their hoedowns...

I made this bed I have to sleep in it.  No denying.  I am not nearly as far from center as you'd think, however.  There's nothing really to grasp. Do I think I'm mainstream in the fact that I don't care for Chizik? At the moment, no.  But I started down this path and I'm not going to be deterred until there's a valid reason for deterrence.  I absolutely refuse to celebrate "baby steps." Did you know he repeated that very phrase the day after I said it while he was speaking to the AU club down here? "We've got to take baby steps." He said that. And that he also said it was going to be a 'long hard road back.'   Do you honestly believe AU is so far gone that it's a long, hard road to where we were, say, A YEAR AGO?  He didn't take over Duke, dammit. But I digress...

Simple question, chizad...

Do you deny that there will be a few trogs (not intended to include you) having a hoedown on my "grave" should Chizik win seven or eight? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
Simple question, chizad...

Do you deny that there will be a few trogs (not intended to include you) having a hoedown on my "grave" should Chizik win seven or eight? 
Sure, there'll be some "told you so's" and some crow eating.

That's to be expected. What will happen when Chizik bombs out his first season?

You're still tooting the "I was right about Franklin" horn in this very thread...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions