Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #3060 on: March 04, 2020, 12:05:44 PM »
The middle-aged sex assisters was an odd moment.
I thought you liked Snaggle?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3061 on: March 04, 2020, 12:06:47 PM »
Good Will Hunting is one of those movies that I've come across 100 times and never watched more than 10 minutes of.  I finally took the time to take in the whole movie last night.  I'm sure most have seen it so no need for any kind of review, just a few takeaways. Robin Williams was a talented, tormented individual.  Amazing, to me anyway, how the guy could go from bouncing off the walls, ad lib comedy to effectively playing such serious roles.  Good Morning Vietnam was a perfect example of both ends of the spectrum.  Crazy, outrageous radio personality, to dealing with some serious shit.  Anyway, like him or not, I always enjoyed his work.

I didn't realize that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck wrote this and won some Academy Awards for it.  Not bad for a couple of 20 somethings.  I enjoyed it overall.  The only drawback was the overdone Bahstan accents.  Not a fan of everyone talking like they work on one the Wicked Tuna boats.  Ya' wicked pissah.     
:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3062 on: March 04, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »
:facepalm:
I will punch you in the arm hard enough to leave a mark. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3063 on: March 04, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
I will punch you in the arm hard enough to leave a mark.
There was so much facepalm in what you said I had to use Senator Tubs facepalm because I don't want to comment about all of it.  However, I have to make comment about your Boston accents remark, you do know that MATT DAMON and Affleck are originally from Boston right?  You also do realize that the area that the characters are from Southie, the people really sound like that.  Those aren't overdone accents, it's legit the accent.  I know several people that sound like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3064 on: March 04, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
There was so much facepalm in what you said I had to use Senator Tubs facepalm because I don't want to comment about all of it.  However, I have to make comment about your Boston accents remark, you do know that MATT DAMON and Affleck are originally from Boston right?  You also do realize that the area that the characters are from Southie, the people really sound like that.  Those aren't overdone accents, it's legit the accent.  I know several people that sound like that.
Yeah, he got that SMATPAK
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #3065 on: March 04, 2020, 04:39:47 PM »
The middle-aged sex assisters was an odd moment.
Could have just said "Snags."

Edit:  Goddammit, that's what I get for not reading the rest of the thread before I respond.  GF beat me to the alley oop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3066 on: March 04, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »
There was so much facepalm in what you said I had to use Senator Tubs facepalm because I don't want to comment about all of it.  However, I have to make comment about your Boston accents remark, you do know that MATT DAMON and Affleck are originally from Boston right?  You also do realize that the area that the characters are from Southie, the people really sound like that.  Those aren't overdone accents, it's legit the accent.  I know several people that sound like that.
Yes I do know.  Okay, maybe not "overdone" but my point is, I don't like it.  It's a fucked up accent and irritates the hell out of me.  Same thing with shows like Goodfellas and yes, The Sopranos.  Different accent but I don't care how good the story is if I have to listen to hours and hours of a bunch of guidos going, Fuck youz guyz.  Fuck ya' mutha and fuck you.  Capeesh?   

And you don't have to yell Matt Damon's name. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3067 on: March 04, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
Yes I do know.  Okay, maybe not "overdone" but my point is, I don't like it.  It's a fucked up accent and irritates the hell out of me.  Same thing with shows like Goodfellas and yes, The Sopranos.  Different accent but I don't care how good the story is if I have to listen to hours and hours of a bunch of guidos going, Fuck youz guyz.  Fuck ya' mutha and fuck you.  Capeesh? 

And you don't have to yell Matt Damon's name.
I wasn’t. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3068 on: March 04, 2020, 09:49:50 PM »
That would explain so so much.
The only real difference was the old lady at mine licked her finger and diddle doodled in the asshole. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

« Reply #3069 on: March 09, 2020, 03:47:58 PM »

Snags do you like apples?

How do you like them apples.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3070 on: March 18, 2020, 11:11:27 AM »
Star Wars: Episode IX The Bloat of the Absurd

Hokey, overwrought tripe.  

Adam Driver is the worst choice ever to play Darth Mendelbaum.  Just didn't like him in particular or really like any of the other characters, but that's an ongoing problem since baby Anakin and Jar Jar days.  Poe and Finn are the fucking worst.  I wish they'd both been disintegrated by a death ray two movies ago. The whole "I am your father" shit repeated time after time loses effectiveness.  

Enormous, ridiculous plot black holes.  Hokey stilted dialogue.  

If you kill me I will rise!  Oh you killed me, we all die!  

The first three movies were space blasting fun and perfect for that era.  But they don't even hold up over time.  And then, because they were successful, Lucas (I guess?) started to take the "mythology" seriously with the mumbo-iest jumbo imaginable.  

That led us to this wheelbarrow full of manure.  It wasn't a dump truck load of manure like the film before this one, but it was a pretty stinky load.  

I spent far too much of the film laughing at the ridiculous overacting and hammy plot (when I wasn't openly scoffing at the planet-sized plot potholes).   

Take away the Star Wars nostalgia overlay and this was a terrible movie.   Just terrible.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3071 on: March 18, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
Star Wars: Episode IX The Bloat of the Absurd

Hokey, overwrought tripe. 

Adam Driver is the worst choice ever to play Darth Mendelbaum.  Just didn't like him in particular or really like any of the other characters, but that's an ongoing problem since baby Anakin and Jar Jar days.  Poe and Finn are the fudgeing worst.  I wish they'd both been disintegrated by a death ray two movies ago. The whole "I am your father" shoot repeated time after time loses effectiveness. 

Enormous, ridiculous plot black holes.  Hokey stilted dialogue. 

If you kill me I will rise!  Oh you killed me, we all die! 

The first three movies were space blasting fun and perfect for that era.  But they don't even hold up over time.  And then, because they were successful, Lucas (I guess?) started to take the "mythology" seriously with the mumbo-iest jumbo imaginable. 

That led us to this wheelbarrow full of manure.  It wasn't a dump truck load of manure like the film before this one, but it was a pretty stinky load. 

I spent far too much of the film laughing at the ridiculous overacting and hammy plot (when I wasn't openly scoffing at the planet-sized plot potholes). 

Take away the Star Wars nostalgia overlay and this was a terrible movie.  Just terrible. 
So, you're saying the movie sucks?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3072 on: March 18, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »
So, you're saying the movie sucks?
I get paid by the word 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3073 on: March 18, 2020, 03:17:03 PM »
"Altered Carbon"

I feel like this should have already been touched on but I searched and did not find it. 

Netflix show that is based on a novel or maybe it's a trilogy I forget. 

Set 300 years in the future where technology allows people to download their consciousness into other bodies (or sleeves). 

There are two seasons on Netflix and I suggest you give it a go.  I think the writing and story are solid. 

Our resident Ebert may not agree.  I just don't pick out the nuances like he does.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3074 on: April 06, 2020, 11:09:51 PM »
Yesterday

Harmless fluff of a movie.  

English Indian has a bike accident and wakes up to a world where The Beatles (and a lot of other things) never existed.  So he steals all their songs and becomes famous.  

Not a big fan of the ending, but the movie flowed easily along and had a funny moment or two.  Nothing groundbreaking.  

It does make you realize just how much those four guys created in a decade or so.  Unbelievable music catalog.  And that's just taking into consideration what was the collective, not the individual projects of each of the four.  Love them or hate them, you can't deny the legacy.  So much music that will resonate as long as there are people to hear it.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3075 on: April 07, 2020, 07:28:16 AM »
Yesterday

Harmless fluff of a movie. 

English Indian has a bike accident and wakes up to a world where The Beatles (and a lot of other things) never existed.  So he steals all their songs and becomes famous. 

Not a big fan of the ending, but the movie flowed easily along and had a funny moment or two.  Nothing groundbreaking. 

It does make you realize just how much those four guys created in a decade or so.  Unbelievable music catalog.  And that's just taking into consideration what was the collective, not the individual projects of each of the four.  Love them or hate them, you can't deny the legacy.  So much music that will resonate as long as there are people to hear it. 
"Hey Dude"  reaffirmed why I don't like the ginger.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3076 on: April 07, 2020, 11:50:34 AM »
"Hey Dude"  reaffirmed why I don't like the ginger.
I miss the old days of nickelodeon
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3077 on: April 29, 2020, 12:13:30 AM »
Bad Education

Hyped as Hugh Jackman's greatest role!!1!  Yes, I know.  That's not saying much.  He's not much of an actor, but he tries.   

So here's the plot.  Greedy school administrators (who are otherwise good at their jobs) start with little, probably innocent-ish and maybe even accidental, scams and work their way up to multi-million dollar graft.  

Fake contractors, lovers getting paid while disguised as 'consultants', beach houses, vacations, facelifts, cars.... it got out of hand.  

Two inside stories.  

I once knew a guy who went to prison.  White collar, bribery prison.  I saw it all.  Started with a no-show job for a customer's son in order to get a bid.  That was the price.  And it steamrolled from there. The way he described it to me was that 'if you turn the water up a degree at a time, the frog never knows he's boiling.'  

I also knew a banker who should have gone to prison, but didn't.  Just got quietly fired.  He started small. One day he was $20 short for something.  Took it out of a big customer's account, put it back the next day.  Over time that mushroomed to the point that when he finally got busted, he was shoving thousands of dollars around among a bunch of different accounts trying to stay ahead of his game.  What was stupid about it was he wasn't really doing much of value with it.  He upgraded from Dockers to Hilfiger pants, to Brooks Brothers suits.  Not college for his kids or bills or anything, just self-centered idiocy.  

So... when I watched this based-on-a-true-story HBO film, I wasn't entirely surprised by the behavior of the primary participants.  You see it all the time.  People get caught up in little schemes that get out of hand. I also wasn't surprised to see that they got away with it for years because they were successful.  People will overlook a hell of a lot of red flags if you're winning and you present a good public front.  These guys were.  The school was ultra successful and the kids who went there gained advantages.  

The movie was hyped as Jackman's huge performance or whatever because he played a closeted gay and performed gay scenes.  I could have done without that.  Taking a role that calls for that does NOT make you brave or elevate your performance for that reason alone.  

He was okay.  So was Alison Janney was the school bookkeeper who was running her own schemes while Jackman's character was running his.  

It wasn't a great movie, though, because it focused in the wrong direction.  The real story here should have been the fact that one of the students did the research, uncovered the corruption, reported it and brought the whole thing crashing down on top of them.  That story was told, but the focus was far too much on the thieves than on the kid who laid them low (in my opinion).  

It's not a terrible movie and it laid all the pieces of this real-life story out there, but it just didn't do so in a compelling way.  It seemed more like a paint-by-numbers effort that was more concerned with making sure it checked off boxes than it was a real effort at interesting storytelling.  

The one thing I did get out of it, though, is that if they ever do a film about Ronald Reagan, Jackman might be a great choice to play him -- at least looks wise.   I don't think he can act his way out of a wet paper bag. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3078 on: May 16, 2020, 12:14:32 AM »
Valley Girl: 2020

I have a soft spot in my heart for the teen coming-of-age films of the 80s.  These were the films that had enough romantic-ish stuff to appease girls and still enough crude humor to appease a teenage guy.  They were the right movies for early stage dates, particularly when shown on HBO in somebody's basement. 

They hit that sweet spot in the middle of the immature raunch of Porky's the gooey schlock of Endless Love and the rawer, slicker sexuality of Risky Business. 

I know they're not great movies, but I retain an emotional attachment to Fast Times at Ridgemont High (very much so, it's probably forever in my Top 10), Last American Virgin, Private School, and of course Valley Girl. 

I've probably watched Valley Girl 25 or 30 times.  It used to come on HBO or Showtime or one of those in the early days night after night after night.  I was a kid.  I adored Deborah Foreman (Julie), thought Suzi was hot and her mom even hotter. (*sidebar, your honor.  Suzi's mom retained her relative hotness longer than the rest of the cast.  I'd probably still smack it today.) I even knew a girl who fit the Loryn role (and looked a little like her) and who got used in a similar way. 

The music was great.  Melt With You by Modern English still holds up even after all this time. One of the best uses of a song not meant for a movie IN a movie in cinematic history.  

SOOOO.... It was with no small amount of trepidation that I accepted the challenge from my girls, who were looking for some mental cotton candy to pass the time, to watch this new version.  They've steadfastly refused to watch the original Valley Girl because they felt like I sold them a bill of goods when I forced them to watch Fast Times (in their terms, a movie about teenage sex, drugs and abortion), but this new version appealed to them because they recognized some of the cast members (from YouTube I think, hell, I don't know) and because they know I liked the lead -- Jessica Rothe who was in Happy Death Day. 

I should have passed.  They found it to be moderately charming fluff.  It kicked me in my 80s nuts. 

Problems:
1) It's a musical.  Yes the songs are 80s semi-classics and the selection was great, but they dropped in and out of them with the cast (which can't really sing all that well) doing them.  They mixed them with out-of-place dance routines that seemed lifted directly from High School Musical. 
2) It took the original story and re-told it, twisted it around, made it something it kinda, sorta wasn't.  And then they added in some idiotic codas -- the kind that worked fantastically well in Fast Times and in Animal House, but that just fell with a cringy thud here.
3) They way the story was re-told was through a mother-daughter conversation where the grown up Julie (played by a slumming Alicia Silverstone) used the story of her whirlwind romance with Randy to explain to her now teenaged daughter how cool she used to be. That contrivance was clunky and didn't feel authentic.
4) Hideous casting.  Rothe was good in Death Day, but I didn't get much out of her here.  She's 33 years old, playing 17 and it flopped.  The guy that took Nicholas Cage's part (girls liked him, but I found him completely wrong).  Hey, let's add in a chunky lesbian, too!  Because that was such a thing in 1982. 
5) Most of the cast from the orginal made cameos and good googly they looked bad. One who didn't cameo, the one who will make ANY movie for a plate of grapes and $3.80, the one who could have made this sad urination on nostalgia bearable, Nicholas Cage, did not appear. 

It was just a bad idea, poorly cast, poorly executed and (in my case) poorly received.  I'm going to try to forget that I ever saw it and just hang on to the original. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:19:52 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3079 on: May 18, 2020, 07:52:07 AM »
 but I retain an emotional attachment to Fast Times at Ridgemont High (very much so, it's probably forever in my Top 10),
I still contend that from top to bottom the soundtrack for Fast Times is one of the most solid that has ever come out.  Most soundtracks these days (and for a long while) do not even include all of the songs in the movie.  I assume because of licensing fees.

There are almost none if any of what anyone would consider A sides but almost every one of them is a deep look into the 80's by some artists that were pivotal before, during, and after then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions