Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #2960 on: August 21, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »
Creed 2

We’ve seen this exact same movie before when it was called Rocky 4. We’ve seen variations of this exact same movie called Rocky, Rocky 2, Rocky 3, Rocky 5, Rocky Balboa and Creed.  

So little is new here that the entire film seems to sag heavily under the weight of its predecessors.  If you haven’t guessed the plot then you haven’t been paying attention for the last 43 years. 

Rocky 4 was a great movie.  This pale imitation doesn’t pay homage to its ancestors so much as it traces over the outline of their image and then randomly scribbles in a few colors like a first grader doing a coloring book page of a bird. 

Rocky 4 had heart.  It was blood and guts, man against machine. This has an artificial valve pumping sugar water and sham emotion. Rocky 4 had great music.  This has some god awful screeching by the shittiest excuse for a musician since Zamfir the pan fluter.  Her “songs”’sound like 60s beatnick trash poetry set to Mariah Carey warbling random notes. It’s terrible. 

I love the Rocky franchise. The little guy overcoming great odds by sheer determination and occasional dumb luck.  But it’s tired.  It looks tired. It feels tired. Interjecting shit music and deaf babies doesn’t bring it to life.  

It’s time to bury Rock, bury Creed and put an end to this story. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2961 on: August 21, 2019, 08:18:39 PM »
Peppermint 

What if Jennifer Garner were Batman?  What if Jennifer Garner were Batman without the being rich part that gives Batman his awesome tools? What if Jennifer Garner were Batman without being rich and without a costume that preserves a secret identity?  

Somebody apparently had that conversation with themselves and decided it would be a good movie.  

I like Jennifer.  She's ageless and perpetually cute.  She was a killer in Alias. 

But she can't act.  She's cute, but she can't act.  Elektra proved that she can't carry the role as a solo badass without a solid team. This movie solidified it.  

Basic story: 
Horrific family tragedy, corrupt system, vengeful former soccer mom Jennifer raining bullet-riddled hell on the perpetrators.  

A couple of Hallmark-movie level guys float through.  In fact I think they were in Hallmark movies.  Method Man dips in late in what I suspect was intended to be a bigger role.  And John Ortiz, who continually makes bad movie choices and then sleep walks through the roles, was in there.  

Even if you sorta enjoy watching Jennifer improbably massacre hundreds of latinos, this movie just doesn't cut it. It's just too clumsily handled and blunderingly directed to have the impact it aspired to have.  

Even if Jen is adorable. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2962 on: August 23, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
I know that up until the final 20 minutes, I kept wondering why I hadn't seen Margot Robbie's tits yet.  And then the final 20 minutes happened, and I forgot about not seeing her tits, until the credits rolled and then I was mad her tits hadn't shown up (spoilers).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2963 on: August 24, 2019, 12:03:27 AM »
Ready Or Not

Gory and twisted little film about a wealthy family that has a ritual to welcome new members.  You simply have to pick a card and play the game selected.  Just don't draw Hide and Seek because that one's a killer. 

It wasn't great primarily because the movie couldn't decide if it wanted to play the blood-soaked chase through the foreboding mansion as a gruesome splatter fest or a dark, dark comedy.  So it did both to the detriment of each.  There weren't enough laughs (although there were some decent moments) for it to qualify as a comedy.  When it forced the comedy into the mix, those silly moments took away from the crazy terror rained by the demented family.  Should have picked a lane and stayed there.

Some of the alleged twists were predictable and too much of the story was given away in the trailers.  It was also hard to miss the idiotic liberal bias oozing throughout a film where the rich are demonic morons who have no respect for human life. 

What elevated this movie far above what it might have been was the performance of Australian soap opera veteran Samara Weaving.  She looks like a Margot Robbie stunt double. Unfortunately she doesn't get naked at all, but her guttural, screaming portrayal of terror, particularly toward the end is pretty great. 

This is no Happy Death Day, but it wasn't terrible.

Editor's Note: 
Weaving is also an underwear model for the Australian brand Bonds. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:56:45 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2964 on: August 24, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2965 on: August 25, 2019, 02:15:30 PM »
The Mule

Clint Eastwood has made a career playing taciturn crusty guys who grunt their way through the day. 

Same guy. 

This time he’s a flower purveyor who loses the business for which he neglected his family to the “damn Internet.”  To make ends meet he starts running drugs for the kindly neighborhood cartel.  Crushing 40s-music backed boredom ensues. 

Clint can be a decent director but he just has zero sense of subtlety. For that reason the film lacks any tension.  There’s nobody to root for. 

Bradley Cooper, Michael Pena, Andy Garcia, the little Farmiga. Larry Fishburne, and Diane Weist (almost unrecognizable) churn through with emotionally hollow performances. None of their efforts had a hint of authenticity.  Even the one harrowing death scene seems so micro managed that I could envision somebody standing just out of sight with a stopwatch going “aaaaaannnnddddddd DIE!”

Could have been an interesting story. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2966 on: August 29, 2019, 12:38:32 AM »
Cold Pursuit 

A very tepid remake of In Order of Disappearance. IOD came out in 2006, a Norwegian film that starred Stellan Skaarsgard and nobody else you've ever heard of with the exception Tormund Giantsbane in a very short role.  

IOD was superior to Cold Pursuit in almost every way.  Liam Neeson took on the Skaarsgard role in Cold Pursuit and those two were fairly equal in their performances.  Still think Skaarsgard's was the best.  Cold Pursuit also wasted Emmy Rossum in a nothing role, tossed a bone to a worthless Laura Dern, propped up John Doman (The Wire), squandered William Forsythe and torpedoed Domenick Lombardozzi.  None of them rose to the level of the no-name, non-descript characters who played those roles in the original film.  

Maybe it was because CP was a essentially a shot-by-shot remake of the Norwegian film and some of it didn't translate to the Americanized version.  

Maybe because it was exactly the same movie I'd seen before now only with no subtitles and different actors I was inclined to judge it unfairly.  

Maybe it was because the cartoonish mayhem of the primary bad guy was done so much better by the actor in the Norwegian version than it was by the American guy.  Had all other things been equal, the Norwegian bad guy was so much better than the American version, it pushes IOD over the top. 

I much preferred In Order of Disappearance (I thought I had reviewed it, but maybe not) to the newer version.  If you intend to watch one or the other, watch In Order instead of Cold Pursuit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2967 on: August 29, 2019, 12:49:57 AM »
Greta

An intriguing, tension-building film about the perils of living in a big city and not really knowing exactly who it is you've befriended.  

Frances (Chloe-Grace Morentz) is slogging through an unfulfilling life in her new NYC apartment with her fabulous roommate.  She finds a purse on the subway and decides to return it to its owner, a lonely older woman named Greta (Isabelle Huppert), who seems as much in need of a friend as Frances herself is.  The two strike up an unlikely friendship, one that starts to intrude on other aspects of Frances' life.  

When Frances accidentally discovers something which causes her to question Greta's sincerity and motives, the budding friendship between the two spirals into desperation, stalking and perhaps even something more sinister.  

Everything about this movie was fine except for Chloe-Grace.  She's got a really cute face and a really long resume, but she really came off as a light-weight here.  Other than her dad (a character actor who added little but a mangled side-story about death and "moving on") the other actors in the film carried his or her part solidly.  

Greta was good and so was the breezy roomie.  Both settled easily and believably into the roles.  But Chloe-Grace never did.  When an actor is clearly consciously trying to "act" it's really disconcerting.  And that's what we got here.  She seemed like she was trying to make sure she got the lines right more than she was dissolving herself into the part.  And that was enough to derail the film and keep it from reaching the level the rest of the cast could have taken it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2968 on: September 05, 2019, 11:21:18 PM »
Cold Moon

Check out the big brain on Brett as a small town Florida sheriff dealing with the supernatural after-effects of the death of a 16-year old hottie found tied to her bicycle at the bottom of a "river."   Note that I put the word 'river' in quotations because even though there are character mentions that this little stream is 20-feet deep, it's pretty obvious that the muddy little creek in the shot is a few inches deep at best.  

That's one of the production problems that plague this film.  It's not the only one.  

A sweet young girl from a failing blueberry farm is attacked by a masked stranger. Her vengeful spirit rises from the murk and haunts the town.  There were a couple of moments that could have really elevated the film, but they were handled so poorly the effect was ruined.  In more capable hands it could have been a solid entry in the horror genre.  Instead it just meandered around the edges. 

It mentions Pensacola a couple of times. It mentions Mobile once or twice. That was curiously interesting. It was set in 1989 for no particular reason that I could ascertain.  

Whatever promise the movie might have had, the mumbling, slipshod performance of Josh Stewart drags the film to the bottom of that murky crick and buries it deep in the sludge. He was so awful the movie was barely watchable.  

Who is Josh Stewart, you ask?  He's the mush-mouthed hangdog asshole who supposedly had a relationship with Jennifer Jarreau (the incredibly sexy A J Cook) on Criminal Minds.  No way in hell.  Here, he's supposedly the rich ass banker boy banging his way through the high school senior class.  Double no way in hell.  This guy should be banned from the craft forever.  

You'll also see Christopher Lloyd slumming it for a paycheck in the movie.  

Rachele Brooke Smith, a 32-year old playing a 16-year old has an impressive physique but very little screen presence.   

The guy who write Beetlejuice also wrote the book on which this movie is based.  There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it homage to that film buried in this muddle. 

I didn't hate it, but I hated Josh Stewart.  It pained me to see a pretty decent concept so clumsily handled.  WHY was it clumsily handled you might ask?  It was directed by Griff Furst, the son of Kent "Flounder" Dorfman.  Among the other films under Mr. Furst's directorial belt?  Trailer Park Shark, Nightmare Shark, Ghost Shark, Swamp Shark, Alligator Alley, Arachnoquake and Lake Placid 3.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2969 on: September 05, 2019, 11:28:43 PM »
Annihilation
I remember watching 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was a kid.  I thought it was pretty and the colors, tone, feel and music were all mesmerizing. But I had no freaking idea what was going on.  

Well. Here I am again.  

Annihilation was a pretty movie with dreamy visuals. It felt nice. But I had no idea what was going on.  Mutated plants were taking over?  Mangy bears learned to talk?  People turned into bushes, or bushes turned into people?  It was a metaphor for cancer, as in the world got cancer and you had to nearly kill everything to get rid of it -- but did you really get it all or is it coming back?  Was it a metaphor for shattered relationships?  Did any of that crap even happen? 

Fact is?  I really don't care.  There just wasn't enough about this movie to make me care about any of the people or what happened (or didn't) to them.  

All it really has to recommend it is some trippy visuals.  And that's not nearly enough. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2970 on: September 06, 2019, 09:59:38 AM »
Annihilation
I remember watching 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was a kid.  I thought it was pretty and the colors, tone, feel and music were all mesmerizing. But I had no freaking idea what was going on. 

Well. Here I am again. 

Annihilation was a pretty movie with dreamy visuals. It felt nice. But I had no idea what was going on.  Mutated plants were taking over?  Mangy bears learned to talk?  People turned into bushes, or bushes turned into people?  It was a metaphor for cancer, as in the world got cancer and you had to nearly kill everything to get rid of it -- but did you really get it all or is it coming back?  Was it a metaphor for shattered relationships?  Did any of that crap even happen?

Fact is?  I really don't care.  There just wasn't enough about this movie to make me care about any of the people or what happened (or didn't) to them. 

All it really has to recommend it is some trippy visuals.  And that's not nearly enough.
I liked that movie much more when it was called Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2971 on: September 07, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »
It: Chapter 2

There are very few movies that fall into the "perfect" category.  This, the second chapter of Stephen King's story of the sewer clown Pennywise, doesn't quite reach perfection but it's so close it can taste it. Taste it like the sweet, sweet blood of innocent children. 

I've seen the criticism.  It's too long (nearly three hours).  There's not enough of the clown. It's not really scary.

I disagree on all counts.  Yeah, the movie takes quite a while to get to the end, but I think it would be incomplete without all of the pieces.  Yes, Pennywise is a supporting player, but the reality is that the clown himself is really only peripheral to the story.  Is it scary?  Yes, in places, but the story is so much deeper than some clown that eats kids.  The real horror isn't there, it's in the heads and hearts of the people at the center of the movie. 

If you go in expecting to be terrorized by a clown that gnaws on children's heads, you've gone to the wrong movie. You're only going to get a little of that.  The real story of It is a story of a misfit group of kids overcoming their own internal weaknesses, flaws that followed them into adulthood.  Bev was abused (maybe sexually) by her father and has fallen into the same pattern of abuse as an adult.  Eddie was smothered by his mother and married her domineering mirror. Ben was a fat kid who felt like an outsider, losing weight and gaining success hasn't diminished that insecurity. Inside he's still a fat kid looking for cake.  Richie uses humor to cover his own repressed and confusing feelings, as an adult he's the same guy, wisecracks obscuring internal agony. Mike is the child of abusive addicts, afraid to rise above his past, stuck where he is. Stanley is a picked on Jewish kid who can't see himself as anything but a loser and is the weakest link.  Bill stutters, can't get to the end of a sentence and blames himself for the death of his little brother. 

Alone, each of them is weak, trapped in their own personal miseries.  Together, they improbably bring out the best in each other -- in the process killing the personality traits that bring them down. 

It's a common theme for King, who must have been tortured as a child.  Weak, odd, peculiar, misfit people find a way to overcome their insecurities and fight back against the bullies that torment them.  Carrie, Christine, the Shining, Dr Sleep, The Stand.. so many of his books deal with variations of this same concept. 

It: Chapter 2 stays true to the theme of King's original book. 

Pennywise?  He's* really just a physical manifestation of the internal horrors that torment the main characters.  They return to Derry, Maine as adults and confront the people and events from their childhood who made them who they are.  To live, they must defeat and overcome those boogeymen.  That's the real story.  Pennywise is just a supporting player in that drama. 

You could actually make the argument that Pennywise really doesn't even exist.  He's* a stand-in for the bigotry, cruelty, ignorance, meanness, small-mindedness and hate of the town in which they were raised, the environment that shaped them growing up and the people who inhabited that space.  I could buy that.  Because that's what the real story is.  It's not defeating some clown and saving the town, it's burying their own internal demons. 

There was so much about this movie I liked.  The actors were adequate but didn't overpower the material.  Glaring exception?  Ben.  I thought he was poorly cast.  In a crew that included McAvoy, Chastain and Hader he stood out as being out of his depth.  Speaking of Hader, I was surprised and impressed by his performance.  Don't think he'll ever be a leading man, but he's proven himself able to rise above the bit part characters he was on SNL (something so few of the show's veterans are ever able to do).  He was really good as Ritchie (so much better than Harry Anderson was in the TV version of this story). 

Pennywise was also fantastic when he was on screen.  Just the right mix of menace and charm, the antithesis of Tim Curry's Brooklyn bus driver take on the character in the 90s TV miniseries.  This Pennywise was superbly done.  Award-worthy if you ask me.  Like the critics, I wish I'd seen a little more of him* but the story went where the story went and that's just the reality.

This movie seamlessly blended some really funny moments with tension with drama with pathos with fear with hope. It was, like life, a continuous confounding mix of emotions and it all hit with reality. 

Thing I also liked?  The predictable King cameo. The first one that made him look like an actual human, not some stand-out-like-a-sore-thumb weirdo (think the preacher in Pet Semetary, the gooby ATM guy in Maximum Overdrive).  His cameos are typically such a jolt they take you out of the movie -- because he's a funky looking guy and cannot act in the least. Here the director reined him in and he fit.  That?  impressive. 

I also LOVED, loved, loved the repetitive inside joke.  Good story, just didn't like the ending.  If you're a fan of Stephen King's work and of this book in particular (and I am, although I've come to detest him as a moronic political entity) you'll get it.  If you're not, it just seems like a throwaway line.  It was awesome to me. 

This isn't a movie I'll watch over and over and over again (like Godfather, Pulp Fiction, etc.) but it was one that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.  I get that Pennywise didn't have enough screen time, but he* was so good during the time he* was there I really hope the character earns recognition.  Really, really good.

As an aside, my movie-watching partner didn't have the same reaction.  She thought it was way too long and short on horror.  She liked the humor, but said it "just wasn't scary enough"  and moved so slowly she was getting bored.  I respect that.  I think we went to see different movies based on our expectations.  She likes King's work but isn't as immersed in it as I am. 

I say that to say that if you're going to this movie expecting to spend a couple of hours being frightened to death by a bloodthirsty clown, this isn't really that movie at all. 

* I asterisked the he and him references because in this triggered culture some ridiculous assholes are bitching and howling because they object to Pennywise being referred to with a masculine pronoun.  Since the clown is not the "real" personality of the entity, but merely a projection It has taken on, these sensitive twigs are "offended" that people discount that the true entity could be female, trans, pan, genderless  or some other mutation we haven't created yet.  Well, fuck those douchebags. 

FWIW: Part 1 of this franchise is reviewed on Page 124 of this thread.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 03:25:17 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #2972 on: September 11, 2019, 12:59:07 AM »
i want to fuck your review.  awesome take and agree on all accounts. 

i rarely go to the theater and my movie catolog is well below the norm for members of the X.  this franchise could very well be creeping in my top 25 movies watched though as a collective unit.

Pennywise for an Oscar with the defining scene underneath the bleachers. legit.

i read the book 25+ years ago and appreciate the director’s adaptation of it...almost Shining-ish.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2973 on: September 12, 2019, 07:53:16 AM »
Night Hunter

Superman, Gandhi, Stanley Tucci and Alexandria DDDadarrio in a washed out, dull, incomprehensible, garbage bag of a film. 

Cops and vigilantes track sexual predators.  That was the basic storyline. Started with an interesting opening and then immediately disintegrated and wallowed in a morass of gobbeldy gook. So badly done. 

It had grand aspirations, and clearly took itself very seriously, but was peppered with abysmal performances from all involved.  DDDadarrio, playing a criminal psychologist (I think) at one point screams at a suspect "you want to see my tits?" as she pulls her shirt slightly open.  Yes. Yes, please. Now!  That's the only thing that could have possibly helped this movie at all. But no. We don't.

The movie had some good ideas and a reasonably strong performance by from the actor playing the mentally-addled perpetrator but the entire movie was so poorly done that it was wasted. 

The plot was impossible to follow, the character's behaviors were nonsensical.  Nothing about this movie felt grounded in truth or reality. 

It SUCKED. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:56:49 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2974 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »
this franchise could very well be creeping in my top 25 movies watched though as a collective unit.
When will you give us a Pennywise movie quote on the text string?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2975 on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
When will you give us a Pennywise movie quote on the text string?
Wait....you guys have a text string? 

I mean, not that I care or anything.

I certainly wouldn't care anything about being a part of it.  That would be lame.  Because you guys are lame.

So...it doesn't bother me at all.  Good for you.  Have fun....texting.

BTW....who all is on it?  I'm just curious who all would be on such a lame text stringy. 

Can I PM you my number?  I mean, just for emergencies and stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2976 on: September 12, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »
Hatchet
Missed (been ignoring) this film from 2006 because I knew it was bad.  It had to be.  And it was. 

BUT...

It was bad in a really good way.  It wasn't bad like Night Hunter, which took itself so very seriously and was a rotten turd of a movie.  This one started with the premise that it was going to be a rotten turd with really bad acting and hammed up performances. Then it reveled and wallowed in that turdiness. 

The end result was a really funny, extremely entertaining semi-parody of the slasher movies that dominated the 80s.  It traded in all the elements  that made Friday the 13th, Halloween, Freddy Krueger and all of those films simultaneously awful and great. 

There were the obligatory bimbos and their woo-woo boobs.  The story of the disfigured creature haunting the woods, kids trapped at the cabin (sort of), the big ugly humanoid freak.  It was all done with a clear realization of just how terribly awful it was.  And still, the carnage was some of the best I've seen in a horror movie in years.  The ode to Friday the 13th at the end was sheer perfection. 

Look for Freddy himself early in the film and a starring role from one of the long-time Jasons. There's also a brief Candyman cameo. The woo-woo-boobs girls were disposable (pretty much literally) as were just about every other character in the film.  Tom Smykowski's here because I guess his Jump to Conclusions mat took off and he can take a vacation.

Just a dumb (fun to me) movie that embraced all the campy, blood-soaked chaos of the horribly great chop-em-up films that defined my teen movie years. 

I laughed. I cringed at some of the bad performances. I appreciated the joyous mayhem and creative carnage. 

It's not for everybody, but I really enjoyed it. The movie knew exactly what it was supposed to be and had fun being just that and nothing more.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:07:30 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2977 on: September 19, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »
Beautiful Boy

I like Michael Scarn. I'd like to see him have a career beyond the goofy Michael Scott type persona. I thought he was pretty good in Foxcatcher.  Not great, but good enough.  I thought he was decent enough in The Big Short.  But he was also atrocious in both Burt Wonderstone, Schmucks, Seeking a Friend and The Way Way Back. I heard he was awkward and offputting in Marwen. 

In Beautiful Boy, a film about a family struggling with a son's addition, Michael Scarn is completely out of his depth.  His interactions with his ex wife (coincidentally Holly Flax), his current wife (coincidentally Robert California's wife), and his other kids seem artificial and forced.  He can't do anger, he can't do pathos, he can't do anguish well.  It's just out of his range. 

I've watched Intervention for years.  I really felt like this movie soft-pedaled the harsh realities of addiction.  While it showed little Eve Baxter (from Last Man Standing) suffering the effects of an overdose, none of the addicts portrayed in the movie seemed broken enough to be as involved in the life as they were supposed to be. 

Combine the failure to establish the desperation of addition with Scarn's inability to find the needed emotional depth with a horrifyingly bad and jarring score and you end up with a movie that strains for authenticity but ends up coming off as less than light weight.  Like asking your dad for a pair of Underarmour shoes and he shows up with Dollar General bobos that he insists are just as good.  Or going to see Goldfinger and the theater shows Threat Level Midnight instead. 

It's "based on a true story" and could have been a compelling piece of work in the right hands.  This movie rose and fell on the strength of Michael Scarn as the lead role. Unfortunately, it fell. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2978 on: September 19, 2019, 12:30:45 PM »
Carrie
Of all the movies based on a Stephen King book, Carrie should have been the simplest to pull off.  It's very straightforward, simple to tell and doesn't require billion-dollar special effects or a whole lot of the supernatural.  

Why, then, has it proven so difficult to be adequately portrayed?  

Carrie 1976 was plagued by the same afflictions that haunted so many movies of that era (even Halloween, if we're honest).  Truly awful performances by grown ups pretending badly to be teens.   I love PJ Soles (dearly) but she was horrible here. Amy Irving, William Katt and Nancy Allen were all hammy and phony.  Piper Laurie is particularly fraudulent as the mom.  The worst of all is a leaden and mugging John Travolta, proving early on that he has zero talent whatsoever. 

Sissy Spacek, however, was the perfect choice as Carrie.  She was hindered by some terrible directing, but she fit the part extremely well.  She was able to effectively convey the awkwardness of the overprotected Carrie and flipped the switch to vengeful convincingly.  

Despite all its 70s-influenced flaws, it's still the best overall version.  

In 2002, a TV adaption of the novel came out.  Utterly worthless. Not even worth mentioning. The less said the better. 

Carrie 2013 may be the least necessary reboot/remake in the history of cinema.  Oh, there is probably a good reason to try to get it right, but this was the wrong way to go about it.  Again the teens in the film are cardboard caricatures of real teenagers, but that's not the worst.  No, it's Chloe Grace Moretz.  I really thought I liked her, but after this and Greta (reviewed recently) I've come to realize that she is a talent-limited hack.  She brings nothing to this film. In fact she detracts from it, destroying any chance it has to succeed.  Her every reaction, every effort at emotion, every response, every glance, every word is completely wrong.  She has all the charisma of a dust mite.  The rest of the film is adequate (even if some of the effects -- stuck in the windshield, really? -- are hokey and stupid) but Chloe Grace mangles every scene she's in.  She completely ruins the movie with her gross over and under acting, never coming close to finding the balance in between. 

The special effects are good -- much better than the 1976 version -- but they're overwhelmed by Chole's dead-eyed performance. 

In this one, though, they sort of got the mother right.  Freckle puss (I can't think of her name, but she did a lesbian scene with Amanda Seyfried in some other movie that was interesting) did a pretty decent job of portraying the mental issues that controlled Mrs. White's existence. 

Maybe in another ten or fifteen years somebody will give this movie another shot.  I hope that if/when they do, they'll have the sense to hire some real teenagers as consultants so that the behavior of the main characters can at least resemble what real life looks like.  I still think there's a good movie in there somewhere. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2979 on: September 19, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
Beautiful Boy

I like Michael Scarn. I'd like to see him have a career beyond the goofy Michael Scott type persona. I thought he was pretty good in Foxcatcher.  Not great, but good enough.  I thought he was decent enough in The Big Short.  But he was also atrocious in both Burt Wonderstone, Schmucks, Seeking a Friend and The Way Way Back. I heard he was awkward and offputting in Marwen.

In Beautiful Boy, a film about a family struggling with a son's addition, Michael Scarn is completely out of his depth.  His interactions with his ex wife (coincidentally Holly Flax), his current wife (coincidentally Robert California's wife), and his other kids seem artificial and forced.  He can't do anger, he can't do pathos, he can't do anguish well.  It's just out of his range.

I've watched Intervention for years.  I really felt like this movie soft-pedaled the harsh realities of addiction.  While it showed little Eve Baxter (from Last Man Standing) suffering the effects of an overdose, none of the addicts portrayed in the movie seemed broken enough to be as involved in the life as they were supposed to be.

Combine the failure to establish the desperation of addition with Scarn's inability to find the needed emotional depth with a horrifyingly bad and jarring score and you end up with a movie that strains for authenticity but ends up coming off as less than light weight.  Like asking your dad for a pair of Underarmour shoes and he shows up with Dollar General bobos that he insists are just as good.  Or going to see Goldfinger and the theater shows Threat Level Midnight instead.

It's "based on a true story" and could have been a compelling piece of work in the right hands.  This movie rose and fell on the strength of Michael Scarn as the lead role. Unfortunately, it fell.
Michael Scarn?  Steve Carell
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum