Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #2800 on: December 27, 2018, 09:47:18 AM »
Aquaman is surprisingly good.  But I went in with more than a bit of trepidation given DC's gift for mangling these movies.

I was also extremely hesitant based on the Arthur Curry scenes in Justice League, but the bro-heavy dialogue didn't make its way into Aquaman.

Remember how stunning Avatar was when you saw it for the first time?  Aquaman takes that visual overload and dials it to 11.  Visually stunning...to the point of overkill at times, even.  

Watch this one in the theater (preferably in IMAX and/or 3D), I don't think it'll hold up on the small screen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

wesfau2

« Reply #2801 on: December 27, 2018, 10:50:47 PM »
Venom

Didn't expect much from this movie.  Don't really like Tom Hardy all that much and don't know anything about the Venom franchise other than that he's a bad guy in the Spiderman pantheon.  So I really wasn't sure how they'd play it. 

Turns out it was a pretty fun movie.  Oh, the plot was ridiculous, the logic of so many people betting killed and maimed while Venom/Brock was allowed to just wander around was absurd, the idea that Brock and the researcher could just wander into the research facility because it was "closed for the night" was laughable (I mean really, the guy has no security cameras?), Hardy seemed to be doing his best to channel Shia Lebouf's mannerisms and speech patterns, Michelle Williams is seriously hard to look at (she's one ugly chick), and they wiped their collective butts with the entire Venom history that I half-way researched before I watched it. 

But it still had its moments.

It isn't in the same orbit as the tentpole Marvel movies, but it was still better than most of the soggy slate of staid and ponderous DC offerings (save WW).  I'd much rather watch Venom than SvB or JL. It at least had a sense of breezy fun to it.

I can't figure out how in the world they could tie Venom into the broader Marvel universe, though, given the way they completely trashed the origin story and the rationale for his being. 

I liked this much more than I expected I would.

It was interesting to see Hardy play a character without an outrageous speech affectation.

Fun movie and I disagree about Ms. Williams.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2802 on: December 28, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
I liked this much more than I expected I would.

It was interesting to see Hardy play a character without an outrageous speech affectation.

Fun movie and I disagree about Ms. Williams.
You are both right about Williams.  I think she is the girl from the Seinfeld episode... she's a two face. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #2803 on: December 28, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
You are both right about Williams.  I think she is the girl from the Seinfeld episode... she's a two face.

Festivus was last week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2804 on: December 28, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
Festivus was last week.
It's a Festivus miracle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2805 on: December 31, 2018, 01:23:27 AM »
Bandersnatch 

Nope.  This is not a movie about Dr. Strange.  It's a movie-length episode of Black Mirror.  

One of the twistiest movies I've ever seen.  It cannot be reviewed.  Very self aware, and requires interaction and attention.  

I want to watch it again and see if I get to the same end.  Is the path really controlled?  

Intriguing.  I'd be interested in how others take it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

« Reply #2806 on: December 31, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
Bandersnatch

Nope.  This is not a movie about Dr. Strange.  It's a movie-length episode of Black Mirror. 

One of the twistiest movies I've ever seen.  It cannot be reviewed.  Very self aware, and requires interaction and attention. 

I want to watch it again and see if I get to the same end.  Is the path really controlled? 

Intriguing.  I'd be interested in how others take it.

Not a bad first attempt at this format, but it needs lots of work.  Overall the story was ho hum, I thought.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2807 on: December 31, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »
Not a review, but I vegged out for several hours yesterday with two classics back to back.  Tombstone and Full Metal Jacket.  Tombstone is similar to Shawshank Redemption for me.  It's one of those that if I'm flipping channels and come across, I go, "Yep, I'll be here for a while."

Hadn't seen FMJ in years and forgot how many great lines came out of that one.  One line that was not so great came when Snags Lite and his babe were walking through the den just as Gny. Sgt. Hartman sings out during a run, "I don't know but I've been told, Eskimo pussy is mighty cold."

Say, you kids have fun.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #2808 on: December 31, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
Not a review, but I vegged out for several hours yesterday with two classics back to back.  Tombstone and Full Metal Jacket.  Tombstone is similar to Shawshank Redemption for me.  It's one of those that if I'm flipping channels and come across, I go, "Yep, I'll be here for a while."

Hadn't seen FMJ in years and forgot how many great lines came out of that one.  One line that was not so great came when Snags Lite and his babe were walking through the den just as Gny. Sgt. Hartman sings out during a run, "I don't know but I've been told, Eskimo pussy is mighty cold."

Say, you kids have fun.
Excellent movies, both.  Time well spent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2809 on: December 31, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
One of the best moments.

Image result for Tombstone movie images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #2810 on: December 31, 2018, 11:09:05 AM »
One of the best moments.

Image result for Tombstone movie images
That movie could just be a 15 minute super-cut of Doc Holliday's lines and it would still be cinematic gold.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2811 on: December 31, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
That movie could just be a 15 minute super-cut of Doc Holliday's lines and it would still be cinematic gold.
Indeed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2812 on: December 31, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Full Metal Jacket yes, just because it was so weird.  

Never seen Tombstone.  Or if I have, it didn't resonate. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2813 on: December 31, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »

FMJ is just over 30 years old now.  You had a young Matthew Modine (Loved him in Vision Quest) and Vincent D'Onofrio.  I had to check and see who played "Gomer Pyle" and when I saw it was D'onofiro, I realized this guy has to be one of the more versatile actors out there.  A shit load of bit parts but he's played about every role imaginable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2814 on: December 31, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »

Say, you kids have fun.
Is he dating an Eskimo?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

« Reply #2815 on: December 31, 2018, 12:51:07 PM »

It's awesome.

So....you'll hate it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #2816 on: December 31, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
Is he dating an Eskimo?

Well, when he asked to put it in her pooper she said she was Inuit.

I'll be here all week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2817 on: December 31, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »
FMJ is just over 30 years old now.  You had a young Matthew Modine (Loved him in Vision Quest) and Vincent D'Onofrio.  I had to check and see who played "Gomer Pyle" and when I saw it was D'onofiro, I realized this guy has to be one of the more versatile actors out there.  A shit load of bit parts but he's played about every role imaginable.
The fact that you didn't mention Animal Mother (Adam Baldwin) when speaking of this movie makes you very wrong.

Animal Mother is a fine human being, he just needs someone to throw grenades at him the rest of his life.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2818 on: December 31, 2018, 12:58:00 PM »
Is he dating an Eskimo?
MMM, good.
Tastes good.
Feels good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2819 on: December 31, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions