Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #2380 on: May 20, 2017, 06:22:22 AM »
Gold

Matthew McCongahey as a sweaty, paunchy greed-fueled prospector whose desire to strike it rich and live up to his daddy's long shadow caused him to ignore all the warning signs -- of everything.

I like MM but found it incredibly hard to root for the success of his abrasive character.  He kept suffering from self-inflicted wounds, behaved boorishly and selfishly, and didn't have any really redeeming characteristics.

His character Kenny inherited a successful mining business from his dad, ran it into the ground, stole from his girlfriend to finance a highly suspect last ditch exploration into the Indonesian jungles.  When gold was discovered, he acted like a full scale jackass and turned his back on the opportunity to make staggering amounts of money out of sheer pride.  There was no joy in watching him sweatily crash and burn or try to find a way back. 

It told a story, but it didn't tell it well.  MM never seemed to get past the surface of his booze-addled character to give me enough depth to really care. 

FWIW: Watched on a plane.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2381 on: May 20, 2017, 07:48:53 AM »
Gold

Matthew McCongahey as a sweaty, paunchy greed-fueled prospector whose desire to strike it rich and live up to his daddy's long shadow caused him to ignore all the warning signs -- of everything.

I like MM but found it incredibly hard to root for the success of his abrasive character.  He kept suffering from self-inflicted wounds, behaved boorishly and selfishly, and didn't have any really redeeming characteristics.

His character Kenny inherited a successful mining business from his dad, ran it into the ground, stole from his girlfriend to finance a highly suspect last ditch exploration into the Indonesian jungles.  When gold was discovered, he acted like a full scale jackass and turned his back on the opportunity to make staggering amounts of money out of sheer pride.  There was no joy in watching him sweatily crash and burn or try to find a way back. 

It told a story, but it didn't tell it well.  MM never seemed to get past the surface of his booze-addled character to give me enough depth to really care. 

FWIW: Watched on a plane.

This one was worth a watch.  Agree that MM's character isn't particularly likeable, and his ego fucked everybody (some only briefly), but the ride was worth a couple hours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2382 on: May 20, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »
Patriot's Day

About what you'd expect.  Marky being Marky.  Told a fictionalized version of the search for suspects  in the Boston Marathon bombing.

It wasn't as compelling as Deepwater Horizon.  Accomplished cast that included Marky, Michelle Monaghan, Schillinger from Oz (who was also in Deepwater Horizon), John Goodman, the guy who plays Jin-Yang in Silicon Valley, Kevin Bacon and Johnny Sack from The Sopranos.  Also included the man/legend David Ortiz. 

I expected Mark to be convincing in this role, but he didn't quite get there.  I sort of got the feeling that because it was a Boston story and that should be so completely in his wheelhouse he didn't put in the same effort he would for other roles.  He just sort of sleep walked through it. 

One of the things that I'm particular about is the score.  This one tried to build constant tension with a razor-wire screech but it just didn't work.  It detracted from the film in my opinion. 

Wasn't bad, just wasn't moving like it needed to be. 

Also watched on a plane.  To Boston.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2383 on: May 20, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »
Patriot's Day

About what you'd expect.  Marky being Marky.  Told a fictionalized version of the search for suspects  in the Boston Marathon bombing.

It wasn't as compelling as Deepwater Horizon.  Accomplished cast that included Marky, Michelle Monaghan, Schillinger from Oz (who was also in Deepwater Horizon), John Goodman, the guy who plays Jin-Yang in Silicon Valley, Kevin Bacon and Johnny Sack from The Sopranos.  Also included the man/legend David Ortiz. 

I expected Mark to be convincing in this role, but he didn't quite get there.  I sort of got the feeling that because it was a Boston story and that should be so completely in his wheelhouse he didn't put in the same effort he would for other roles.  He just sort of sleep walked through it. 

One of the things that I'm particular about is the score.  This one tried to build constant tension with a razor-wire screech but it just didn't work.  It detracted from the film in my opinion. 

I'd say it was more based on the real thing more than I'd say it was fictionalized.

I thought it was great. But wayyyy too long. They should have shaved 40 mins from it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2384 on: May 20, 2017, 06:24:17 PM »
I'd say it was more based on the real thing more than I'd say it was fictionalized.

I thought it was great. But wayyyy too long. They should have shaved 40 mins from it.

I said fictionalized because I understood that Marky's character did not actually exist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2385 on: May 20, 2017, 06:35:18 PM »
This one was worth a watch.  Agree that MM's character isn't particularly likeable, and his ego fucked everybody (some only briefly), but the ride was worth a couple hours.
And was "based" on a true story
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2386 on: May 20, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »
Patriot's Day

Good flick. Mark's character was based on several officers. My neighbor who ran the race and finished about 20 minutes before the bomb found it very surreal.  Her cheering section was right where the bomb went off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2387 on: May 21, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
Alien Covenant

Meh.  Watch it on demand.  Wasted opportunity to advance the story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #2388 on: May 21, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
Alien Covenant

Meh.  Watch it on demand.  Wasted opportunity to advance the story.

Fuck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #2389 on: May 22, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
The ending didn't really pay off, but I enjoyed this one.  Fun little thriller.

Just caught it last night.

Agree totally. Was a great build up. Even some good jumpy moments. But the end just kind of killed it for me. Not terrible. Just not great

Brian Cox is a good good actor though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2390 on: May 22, 2017, 10:58:29 AM »
Autopsy
Eight Films to Die For offering. 

What in the hell is Robert Patrick doing slumming in this weak, underfunded waste of film?  The cast includes Tommy from Valley Girl, Momma vampire from Near Dark and some chick who's devolved to Lifetime Movies. 

How awful was it?  The only time it lightninged or thundered was when people were walking through one certain hallway. 

I'm plumbing the depths.  This one was terrible and not worth wasting any more words on.  There's nothing to recommend this one at all. 

I think I'm going to give Black Sheep a shot next.  Killer sheep. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2391 on: May 27, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »
Pirates V

No sequel can ever recapture the unexpected brilliance of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film.  Some of the later installments were so misguided they came close to tarnishing the legacy of the franchise. 

This one falls somewhere in between.  Nowhere near the original but not as bad as the efforts that followed.

When the worst part of the film is the threadbare and tired portrayal of Jack Sparrow by a Johnny Depp who really appeared to be in it just for the money and delivered the bare minimum?  That says a lot. FWIW? Barbosa was pretty played out too.

Still the movie entertained. It was too long by a third. I'm tired of the spectral nature of the sea and would have preferred a more straightforward tale with less mysticism. But still. Not bad.

I hope it's the last one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2392 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »
Baywatch

As one of very few people who never watched a single episode of the Baywatch TV series I had no expectations whatsoever about this movie.  Good thing because this awful turd of a film couldn't have lived up to even the most minimum expectations I might have had. 

It was a raunch-filled dick fest that only found occasional humor and even that humor was barely worth a smirk. 

The girls were decent to look at but not that great.  The rest was just crass vulgarity. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #2393 on: May 29, 2017, 02:23:12 PM »
Baywatch

As one of very few people who never watched a single episode of the Baywatch TV series I had no expectations whatsoever about this movie.  Good thing because this awful turd of a film couldn't have lived up to even the most minimum expectations I might have had. 

It was a raunch-filled dick fest that only found occasional humor and even that humor was barely worth a smirk. 

The girls were decent to look at but not that great.  The rest was just crass vulgarity.

:haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2394 on: May 30, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
Baywatch

She makes my pee-pee maker t-t-tingle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #2395 on: May 30, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »

You ain't kiddin.

Has since first sight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2396 on: May 30, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »

I think she's hot too.

She's wasted in this movie.  Barely a set piece.

All the girls (with the exception of the "surprise" cameo) were hot.  Just not well used.

The blond girl in particular is wasted -- in large part due to the director's obsession with penisi. 

And while I'm at it? The poor man's Jonah Hill was a ridiculous waste.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #2397 on: May 30, 2017, 02:54:10 PM »
I think she's hot too.

She's wasted in this movie.  Barely a set piece.

All the girls (with the exception of the "surprise" cameo) were hot.  Just not well used.

The blond girl in particular is wasted -- in large part due to the director's obsession with penisi. 

And while I'm at it? The poor man's Jonah Hill was a ridiculous waste.

Damn.

One we all agree on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2398 on: June 02, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »
Pirates V

No sequel can ever recapture the unexpected brilliance of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film.  Some of the later installments were so misguided they came close to tarnishing the legacy of the franchise. 

This one falls somewhere in between.  Nowhere near the original but not as bad as the efforts that followed.

When the worst part of the film is the threadbare and tired portrayal of Jack Sparrow by a Johnny Depp who really appeared to be in it just for the money and delivered the bare minimum?  That says a lot. FWIW? Barbosa was pretty played out too.

Still the movie entertained. It was too long by a third. I'm tired of the spectral nature of the sea and would have preferred a more straightforward tale with less mysticism. But still. Not bad.

I hope it's the last one.

Well, I just watched part of At World's End.   I was wrong.  It was better than this last one.  As muddled and confusing as it was, it was a far better movie than whatever this latest installment was called. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #2399 on: June 02, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
Invitation

Very weird movie about a dinner party with -- perhaps -- a hidden agenda.   

Very strange.  Leaves you wondering if the main character is the crazy one or if something odd is going on. 

Moves too slowly in places, doesn't explain some of the motives well enough, doesn't explain the need to have that particular group in place. 

The cast is filled with people you've seen before but can't quite place where.

JUST caught this on Netflix.

Thought it was pretty good compared most others in the genre today. Enjoyed how it kept the viewer guessing on which was true.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE