Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #2060 on: February 14, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »
Sinister 2

A horror film that is weird in the fact that the horrific elements are primarily contained in movie-within-a-movie footage which gives you no empathetic relationship with the victims. They're generic, almost faceless and you just don't have any reason to care about them.

Where the movie succeeds is that the movie-within-a-movie victims are slaughtered in such creative and gruesome ways that it captures your attention.  You almost wish the movies within a movie would have been the movie itself.

The big bad doesn't really do much and really isn't that compelling.  His schtick is to give kids movie cameras and get them to film the murder of the rest of their family with each depraved tyke trying to thrill the big bad with the level of depravity.   Whoever came up with the methods of murder has a sick streak that should really have been explored and expanded on. 

Instead, the majority of the movie consists of kids saying "look at what we've done!  It's your turn" by showing the films of their murderous conquests.  Why these kids are dead instead of incarcerated or under psychiatric care (they are the ones who did the killing, so they would have survived) is never explained.

The cast is pretty good with the exception of pissed off ex husband who is a caricature.  The deputy who was involved in the first Sinister movie is the only holdover (which makes sense given the end) from the first Sinister film.  Well, except for the big bad not-so-scary jump-scare man.  The deputy guy is pretty funny and does a good job balancing things. 

Scary?  No.  Predictable? Yeah, sort of.  But the kill scenes keep it from sucking like the vast majority of horror movies do.  Too bad they are just short vignettes and not movies of their own.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Token

« Reply #2061 on: February 14, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »
The Revenant
First the good. The movie is stunning visually.  It makes you feel every ache, every frozen breath.  DiCaprio -- one of the best actors of our time -- is really good, acting for much of the movie with little more than his eyes. 

The weasel or otter or whatever tom hardy has on his head. Liked that.

Now the bad.
The movie is far too long.  It clocks in at 2:40 when the story could easily have been compellingly completed in half that.  There are entire arcs and characters that are superfluous.  Some actually detract from the story. Some were made up by the director entirely in the name of creative license when the "real" story was probably the better one.  It just dragged and dragged layering one improbable misery on top of another.  Just too much extraneous scenery snd story.

Tom Hardy.  What the fuck is the attraction with this guy? In every movie I've ever seen him he affects some mumbling out-of-place accent that should require subtitles.  Batman. Mad max. Lawless.  No idea what he's saying half the time in the dumbass accent he picks.  No different here.  Says something in s weird accent.  Makes a face. Pouts. Fucking sucks.  He's terrible.

Is worth seeing for Leonardo's performance and the cinematography/setting.  But bring a snack and something with caffeine in it.

Spot on. The bear attack was the most intense animal attack scene that I've ever seen.  That movie made me hurt from start to finish.  Much more dreadfully cold feeling than "grey".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2062 on: February 17, 2016, 11:37:41 AM »
Deadpool

Didn't really know what to expect.  Got more than I wanted.  In a good way. 

Let me start by saying this is not for kids.  When Wade Wilson was having something jammed up the ass during a sex scene I didn't enjoy the ten year old a row back bellowing "what are they DOING?"  Speaking of sex scenes, there's really only one and it is pretty energetic.  Features Mrs. Brody from Homeland. 

Lots of foul language.  Played for laughs. 

Not a big Ryan Reynolds fan but this is the role he was meant to play.  So many inside jokes that landed. Probably many many more that I missed. 

It's not iron man.  It's not superman.  It quickly abandons the "hero saving the world" concept and establishes the "dude is getting some spectacular revenge" mindset. 

Not really sure how to review this.  Was consistently entertained from the opening credits to the tag on scene at the end (no spoiler but it pays homage to a favorite movie). It's not the greatest movie I've ever seen.  It didn't make me think. Oh sure it was implausible but I just didn't care. 

Definitely recommend for anyone over about 17 or so. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2063 on: February 17, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
The Witch and the new Jesse Owens movie both come out this weekend. Have guarded optimism for both. Hope they do not disappoint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2064 on: February 17, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »
The Witch and the new Jesse Owens movie both come out this weekend. Have guarded optimism for both. Hope they do not disappoint.
Can't take Jason Suckdickass seriously.  He is going to ruin that one.  The previews make me not want to watch it because of him.  In the previews it appears he's playing the gum-snapping douchebag guy from SNL.

The Witch?  Never heard of it nor seen a trailer for it.  So there's that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2065 on: February 17, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Can't take Jason Suckdickass seriously.  He is going to ruin that one.  The previews make me not want to watch it because of him.  In the previews it appears he's playing the gum-snapping douchebag guy from SNL.

Well Jason Sudakis as a black man is a hard sell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #2066 on: February 17, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »

The Witch is getting a shitload of hype.

I'll see the Jesse Owens one just cause I like Jesse Owens. I'll try and ignore sudackass
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2067 on: February 17, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
The Witch is getting a shitload of hype.

I'll see the Jesse Owens one just cause I like Jesse Owens. I'll try and ignore sudackass

I see a movie almost every weekend.  I'm a horror fanatic.  And yet I've never heard anything about this movie or seen a trailer or seen a preview poster. 

Go see deadpool.  Forget the witch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #2068 on: February 17, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »
I see a movie almost every weekend.  I'm a horror fanatic.  And yet I've never heard anything about this movie or seen a trailer or seen a preview poster. 

Go see deadpool.  Forget the witch.

Fwiw, Stephen king said it scared the shit out of him. The trailer is intriguing. Gets good preliminary marks from imdb, metacritic and rotten tomatoes which is unusual for all 3 and especially for a horror type movie.

I believe it's independent and did well at sundance. So not as much marketing as the big movies.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 03:44:32 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2069 on: February 18, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »
Well Jason Sudakis as a black man is a hard sell.

You betta pump ya brakes boy

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2070 on: February 18, 2016, 11:19:31 AM »
You betta pump ya brakes boy

Limp dick motherfuckers
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2071 on: February 19, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
Not sure if this has been discussed but we watched Black Mass the other night OnDemand. If this movie comes anywhere close to the actual Whitey Bulger story, then this dude really was ruthless. I like Johnny Depp as an actor anyway so it was to me an interested character role. Good movie I thought.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2072 on: February 21, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »
Deadpool was great.  I'm a Reynolds fan, so no surprise to me that he killed this role.  Take his fast talking, smart ass character from Waiting and give him badass fighting skills (and ramp up the swearing to 11)  and you get a sense of the Deadpool character.

TJ Miller was perfect in his minor role.

Laugh out loud funny through most of the film, killer action sequences and lots of 4th wall destruction.

Go see this movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2073 on: February 21, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »
Deadpool was great.  I'm a Reynolds fan, so no surprise to me that he killed this role.  Take his fast talking, smart ass character from Waiting and give him badass fighting skills (and ramp up the swearing to 11)  and you get a sense of the Deadpool character.

Laugh out loud funny through most of the film, killer action sequences and lots of 4th wall destruction.

Go see this movie.

I just came here to say what you just said, verbatim.  One of the overall funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Sometimes, the constant smart-assedness by certain characters gets old if they can't pull it off or the writing just isn't that good.  Reynolds more than pulled it off and the lines were well written and well-timed.

Even the credits before and after were hilarious.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2074 on: February 22, 2016, 09:19:46 AM »
Crimson Peak

Expected a horror movie.  Got a few weird ghostly pop-ups most of which were in the previews. 

The rest of the movie was horrible period outfits, terrible hairdos, dramatic music and knowing glances (leers) between the earnest cast. 

The back story about some ridiculous attempt to mine crimson clay from under a sagging house added nothing to the film and actually caused it to drag out longer than it should. 

The "shocker" wasn't really shocking at all given the long leers and assorted whispered comments. 

I didn't hate it, but it was more puff than substance.  More a chance for Jessica Chastain to give up on even trying a british accent while grumping around in heavy victorian garb, more a chance for Loki to smirk, and more a chance for Alice to crawl through a puffy shouldered rabbit hole. 

The lead girl was so ugly it was hard to watch.  She's a terrible actress and looking at her for that long made my eyes hurt.  Her outfits with giant balls of shoulder material were off-putting and annoying.  I hope to never see her in another movie again.  She was atrocious. 

The movie should have decided to be either the story of some swindling con artists trying to keep their family name alive or the story of a really ugly girl trapped in a house with ghosts and boogeys.  It needed a more supernatural flair to work as horror.  Would have been so much better if Loki or Chastain turned out to be vampires or dead or something.  Or if the ghosts had never been part of the mix and it was a straight up story about a pair of sickos who charm people out of their fortunes.   Trying to straddle the fence between worlds didn't work.

Kind of agree with this review, but ultimately you see GDT's movies for the visuals.  I thought he made beautiful use of the eponymous color in contrast to the bleak snowy setting.  The "horror" in this film is about on par with any of his other films.  He's not Wes Craven.

Not a must-see, but if you like GDT's work then you should give it a shot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2075 on: February 22, 2016, 01:02:45 PM »
The Martian

I was really looking forward to seeing this film.  I like Matt Damon.  I like Michael Pena. I like Sean Bean. I usually like Jessica Chastain.  I like Kate Mara. 

I wondered why the film was rewarded at the Golden Globes in the Comedy category. 

After watching The Martian, I understand. 

It was beautifully shot.  Made you believe the guy was stranded on Mars.   But....

1) The scene of super skinny Matt Damon didn't match his face.  He should have been gaunt and it was clear a body double was used.  He didn't commit like Christian Bale would have.  That was disappointing. 
2)  Launching with a tarp covering the nose? 
3) Iron-Manning through space?  C'mon.
4) Grabbing the guy at 90 mph or whatever?  Please.
5) The "slingshot around earth" plan?  Wasn't that one of Captain Kirk's trademark moves?  To go back in time? 
6) Once the china rocket came into play, the ridiculously risky and inprobissle turn the ship around rescue wasn't necessary.  Send the supply ship and then use the time to prepare a rescue proper. 
7) Kick around in the dust in a vast, enormous field desert and come across the one thing you need?
8) Dig up the rover from under all that dirt (impossible to begin with), get the thing dug out deep enough to lift it and THEN get the Pathfinder -- which weighed in at 1,973 pounds -- loaded on his rover?  Without a crane at the site?  Horseshit. 
9) Drive 3500 miles in a rover designed to do 35 miles a day and not run out of food along the way?  Bullshit.  And then find the needle in the desert haystack without so much as a GPS?  Pfaw!

So unrealistic it was funny.  Therefore: Comedy.

Yes.  I realize that all of those things that irked me could possibly, potentially, maybe work.  But not all of them at the same time. 

It was faux drama.  It pretty much wasted Mara, Bean, Chewing Pettifore (or whatever that black guy with the glasses is called), Jeff Daniels (who portrayed the dumbest head of NASA I've ever seen) and even wasted Chastain and Pena for the most part.  They were incidentals, and could have been played by any number of ex Law and Order character actors. 

Mackenzie Davis as a NASA employee was an actress that seemed to have much more to offer, but her role was limited. 

Kristen Wiig was also a complete bust in her role.  Completely ineffective and absolute zero on the screen at all times.  Why was she even there?  She should have had the big forehead and tiny hands at least. 

It's easy to see from my point of view why Leonardo DiCaprio would deserve the Oscar over Matt Damon when you take two films where their singular character carried an enormous amount of the film with little to play against but themselves. 

Not saying "don't see The Martian" but saying that if you do see it -- and most of you already have or have already decided not to -- go in expecting the same level of "realism" you'd get from an Avengers movie.  It will make it much more palatable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #2076 on: February 22, 2016, 02:23:17 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed but we watched Black Mass the other night OnDemand. If this movie comes anywhere close to the actual Whitey Bulger story, then this dude really was ruthless. I like Johnny Depp as an actor anyway so it was to me an interested character role. Good movie I thought.

Yes. Whitey Bulger was that bad. As ruthless of a gangster that has ever existed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2077 on: February 22, 2016, 03:09:54 PM »
I just came here to say what you just said, verbatim.  One of the overall funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Sometimes, the constant smart-assedness by certain characters gets old if they can't pull it off or the writing just isn't that good.  Reynolds more than pulled it off and the lines were well written and well-timed.

Even the credits before and after were hilarious.
I saw it Saturday night. It was the first time in quite a while that I've walked out at the end of a movie not feeling like I'd just been ripped off.

Hilarious flick!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2078 on: February 22, 2016, 03:20:01 PM »

Go see this movie.

I would happily stick it in her butt like she wanted....ah gawd...so hot!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2079 on: February 22, 2016, 03:27:06 PM »
Yes. Whitey Bulger was that bad. As ruthless of a gangster that has ever existed.

Him and Albert Anastasia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan