Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #1780 on: January 19, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Here's a big write up on him:

http://mpmacting.com/blog/2014/7/19/truth-justice-and-the-curious-case-of-chris-kyle

The biggest two for me are the Jesse Ventura case and the claim that he sniped 30 people from atop the Superdome during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Really really bad sources dude. Quit reading that looney conspiracy bullshit. Btw - Ventura is the real pos. Wtf has he ever done? And before anyone mentioned Vietnam he didn't do jack shit. Kyle > Ventura.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1781 on: January 19, 2015, 10:09:22 AM »
meh. Read the whole thing, the articles he linked and a great deal of the comments. Even if the poster's assertions are all correct it doesn't take away from the guy doing some amazing shit. I'm sure he did embellish some things in his book.

The poster, as someone who seemed more than a little sympathetic to 9/11 truthers, put an awful lot of faith in an inherently corruptible government ran civil trial, ignored that major media including communist news network confirmed the presence of some WMD in the form of bio/nerve agents were present in Iraq and lent an awful lot of credence to two people's account of a drunken story told by Kyle.

Was the trial horseshit? Did Kyle find WMD personally? Did the two people who related the story lie? Fuck, I don't know. I guess I should blog about it with a lengthy self righteous long winded rant about the stupid sheeple believing everything they're told. In the end Kyle probably did most of the combat shit he said he did. At the very least the medals he recieved were certainty not for fictional exploits. Maybe he got the big head and as a result developed a big mouth and his family profited from it, but I still like him more than the petulant little know-it-all blogger.

Ending your blog with a pointed discussion of the righteous mind and cognitive dissonance provides a quick and easy way to marginalize any dissent. That's a pretty clever back door for an article about questioning what you've been told.   

Kyle names names and units in his book. Collectively, a couple thousand military personnel could call him on any of his combat exploits. None of that happened in a total vacuum, and if he was the asshole braggart he seems to be at times there would be plenty of reason aside from truth and justice for any of them to come out and call him on any of it, before or after he was killed. The only person who did was known asshole Jesse Ventura, who I wouldn't piss upon only if he were on fire.  In conclusion I don't know if he lied a little or a lot (we all get creative when we're measuring our dicks) but I'm not gonna let it get in the way of a good movie. I think you've probably earned the right to drink too much and tell a couple lies when you've earned two silver stars and five bronze stars in service to your country.

Problem? 

It wasn't a good movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #1782 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
American Sniper

Bradley Cooper was good and about 88% believable as the Legend.  The rest of the movie was typical Clint Eastwood fare. Clumsily and woodenly poking at heartstrings with a gnarled finger. Awkward pacing. Threads left dangling for no reason. Auxiliary topics opened but never explored. Gaps in reason and logic.

Where the movie lost me:  Very badly done fake baby scene.  Back at home, trying to deal with his second child and the thing passed from mom to dad was VERY obviously a doll. It was so bad, there are already countless posts about it.  It's featured prominently in reviews.  It was horrifically bad.

Cooper's performance aside, the film was just painfully flat and lifeless. I wanted to be moved. I wanted to be inspired. I wanted to feel the tension and be for good guys but Clint's direction sucked every bit of that out of me.  I was never really given a reason to like Chris Kyle other than he was a twangy Texas boy who could aim a gun.  It felt like every potential emotional mark was completely missed.

There were numerous throwaway sidebars... his brother, for one.  "Fuck this place."  Ok. Why?  What was the natural exposition of that scene? 

I was emotionally invested in Lone Survivor. I had a stake in each of the main characters. I got their pain and felt the rage and helplessness. That movie (whether or not it was 100% historically accurate) reached me on several levels.   American Sniper kept me at arm's length for the most part.  At times I felt like Eastwood was even a little conflicted, not really sure what story he wanted to tell.

---- SPOILER -----

If you know the story, you know that Chris was killed during the filming by a veteran he was trying to help. The damn fool shot him with his own gun at a shooting range and then stole his truck.

Without that coda?  Without that sobering reality -- which, remember, was not even a part of the original story that was filmed?  This would have been a substantially less powerful movie and one that would (to me, at least) barely resonate. 

---- END SPOILER -----

It's not Black Hawk Down. It's not Lone Survivor.  It's not Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket or even Hurt Locker.  It doesn't reach those heights. 

Fake Baby:

I completely agree with this write up. This movie did nothing for me and didn't hold a candle to Hurt Locker or Lone Survivor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #1783 on: January 19, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
Problem? 

It wasn't a good movie.

Hell you knew what I meant.

I won't let it get in the way of an okay movie/ memory of a decorated veteran. How bout that
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1784 on: January 19, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
Hell you knew what I meant.

I won't let it get in the way of an okay movie/ memory of a decorated veteran. How bout that

I need some cleanup in here.  Mods? Move this to the SGA board. Titan?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #1785 on: January 19, 2015, 12:26:42 PM »
two silver stars and five bronze stars   =   a very bad ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1786 on: January 19, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »
two silver stars and five bronze stars   =   a very bad ass.

But how many grillz?  That's the question. 

And still not movie-related.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1787 on: January 20, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
Camp Takota

My two daughters (both the 15-year old ones) were really excited to watch this.  It stars some of "their favorite YouTubers! OMG!!!"

Basic plot line is that some up and coming bitch gets in trouble and drunkenly volunteers to be a camp counselor where she camped as a teen. 

I figured, what's the harm? 

Fuck me until shit runs from my nose.  This was terrible.  Forget the acting, which was shit on a dirty stick but about what you'd expect.  I've actually seen movies which were more poorly acted than this turtle turd fuck, but that's irrelevant. 

Production values are actually better than I would have expected from people used to filming their stupid ass with iPhones and putting that ridiculous shit out for the world to see.  It actually had a decent look and feel set wise.  It "looked" like a summer camp for the most part.

Same basic stupid shit we've seen in every single "summer camp" movie from the beginning of time.  Poison ivy on the crotch, kids hitting counselors with dodge balls, crafts day, all the stereotypical shit.  Absolutely nothing new.  Shitty dialogue too.

But the messages....

Get drunk!  Fuck your boyfriend to get in a good mood!  'I'm taking a break from dick this summer!!'  Hey, hey, it's okay to be gay!  Shoot tequila for shits and giggles!!

I'm banning the fucking YouTubes.  I'm banning the fucking "Viners" whatever the monkey fur fuck that is.  If this is the kind of idiotic fuckardo stuff they're sitting around looking at all day on the YouTubes, that shit is OVER. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:26:12 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #1788 on: January 20, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »
American Sniper

Bradley Cooper was good and about 88% believable as the Legend.  The rest of the movie was typical Clint Eastwood fare. Clumsily and woodenly poking at heartstrings with a gnarled finger. Awkward pacing. Threads left dangling for no reason. Auxiliary topics opened but never explored. Gaps in reason and logic.

Where the movie lost me:  Very badly done fake baby scene.  Back at home, trying to deal with his second child and the thing passed from mom to dad was VERY obviously a doll. It was so bad, there are already countless posts about it.  It's featured prominently in reviews.  It was horrifically bad.

Cooper's performance aside, the film was just painfully flat and lifeless. I wanted to be moved. I wanted to be inspired. I wanted to feel the tension and be for good guys but Clint's direction sucked every bit of that out of me.  I was never really given a reason to like Chris Kyle other than he was a twangy Texas boy who could aim a gun.  It felt like every potential emotional mark was completely missed.

There were numerous throwaway sidebars... his brother, for one.  "Fuck this place."  Ok. Why?  What was the natural exposition of that scene? 

I was emotionally invested in Lone Survivor. I had a stake in each of the main characters. I got their pain and felt the rage and helplessness. That movie (whether or not it was 100% historically accurate) reached me on several levels.   American Sniper kept me at arm's length for the most part.  At times I felt like Eastwood was even a little conflicted, not really sure what story he wanted to tell.

---- SPOILER -----

If you know the story, you know that Chris was killed during the filming by a veteran he was trying to help. The damn fool shot him with his own gun at a shooting range and then stole his truck.

Without that coda?  Without that sobering reality -- which, remember, was not even a part of the original story that was filmed?  This would have been a substantially less powerful movie and one that would (to me, at least) barely resonate. 

---- END SPOILER -----

It's not Black Hawk Down. It's not Lone Survivor.  It's not Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket or even Hurt Locker.  It doesn't reach those heights. 

Fake Baby:

Thank you. Thought it was just me. It was kind of boring and I watched a boot leg of it. I really wanted to know how he dealt with the shots he took.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #1789 on: January 22, 2015, 08:33:24 AM »
American Sniper

---- SPOILER -----

---- END SPOILER -----

Fake Baby:

I haven't seen the movie yet.  Actually have not decided if I will.  There is no doubt that Kyle did a number of things that he will always have my respect for but like a lot of SOF folks I knew in my day they could also be full of shit and suffer from needing their ego pumped on a regular basis. 

I am no fan of Jesse Ventura but you could do worse than read this article.
There is a reason that the court agreed with him on his defamation lawsuit which are historically hard to prove.

http://mpmacting.com/blog/2014/7/19/truth-justice-and-the-curious-case-of-chris-kyle
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1790 on: January 22, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »
I haven't seen the movie yet.  Actually have not decided if I will.  There is no doubt that Kyle did a number of things that he will always have my respect for but like a lot of SOF folks I knew in my day they could also be full of shit and suffer from needing their ego pumped on a regular basis. 

I am no fan of Jesse Ventura but you could do worse than read this article.
There is a reason that the court agreed with him on his defamation lawsuit which are historically hard to prove.

Seriously?

That's the same weak shit THS posted way back and which was ridiculed by others.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #1791 on: January 22, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »
Seriously?

That's the same weak shit THS posted way back and which was ridiculed by others.

I'm hear you but the fact still remains that a number of things in his book do not add up.  I suspect he and Richard Richard Marcinko would have gotten along fine. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #1792 on: January 22, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
I'm hear you but the fact still remains that a number of things in his book do not add up.  I suspect he and Richard Richard Marcinko would have gotten along fine.
Agree on the sniper book. And I respect and appreciate what this guy did for his country, as I do all who served. At the same time, I know that the vast majority of true American heroes never wrote a book about themselves or had a movie made about what they did.

Sani, I know you will know about this battle. My uncle was one of the "frozen chosin" and the only way I know about it is from asking him questions when I was kid. I didn't know any better than to ask, "Did you kill a bunch of folks Uncle D?" He would talk to kids about it.

Anyway, I'm no military history buff but I've read enough about this battle to know that it was one of the worst or best in modern military history. It depends on how you look at it.

About 8k U.S. marines were surrounded by 120k Chinese and they ran out of most everything. They had to make a decision to "attack from a different direction" (some would call it a retreat but not the commander who came up with this phrase). It was the coldest winter in Korea in 100 years.

I remember him talking about how they would stack up their frozen buddies to hide behind them for cover and hearing the bullets whistle over them. They ran out of ammo and our guys would fly over, dropping loose ammo. He said the Chinese were coming so fast that they couldn't reload and they were bayonetting them.

My point is, there are a bunch of heroes out there that you don't hear ANYTHING from, unless you ask. And most of them will likely say, like I heard him tell someone one time, that they left their heroes over there.

Nowadays, it seems like if you are lucky enough to live through a famous skirmish or battle, you come home and cash in. Not saying that I blame them. But I don't think it's quite so glamorous. That's why I chose to not go see the movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #1793 on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:23 AM »
Agree on the sniper book. And I respect and appreciate what this guy did for his country, as I do all who served. At the same time, I know that the vast majority of true American heroes never wrote a book about themselves or had a movie made about what they did.

Sani, I know you will know about this battle. My uncle was one of the "frozen chosin" and the only way I know about it is from asking him questions when I was kid. I didn't know any better than to ask, "Did you kill a bunch of folks Uncle D?" He would talk to kids about it.

Anyway, I'm no military history buff but I've read enough about this battle to know that it was one of the worst or best in modern military history. It depends on how you look at it.

About 8k U.S. marines were surrounded by 120k Chinese and they ran out of most everything. They had to make a decision to "attack from a different direction" (some would call it a retreat but not the commander who came up with this phrase). It was the coldest winter in Korea in 100 years.

I remember him talking about how they would stack up their frozen buddies to hide behind them for cover and hearing the bullets whistle over them. They ran out of ammo and our guys would fly over, dropping loose ammo. He said the Chinese were coming so fast that they couldn't reload and they were bayonetting them.

My point is, there are a bunch of heroes out there that you don't hear ANYTHING from, unless you ask. And most of them will likely say, like I heard him tell someone one time, that they left their heroes over there.

Nowadays, it seems like if you are lucky enough to live through a famous skirmish or battle, you come home and cash in. Not saying that I blame them. But I don't think it's quite so glamorous. That's why I chose to not go see the movie.

I don't understand. His account doesn't matter because he spoke and wrote about it? Studies show that talking and writing reduce the effects of PTSD. Furthermore I think there should be more written about military experiences because it increases public awareness. Wouldn't you rather the entertainment generated by the war on terrorism come from and be profited by those who sacrificed to participate? No GIs from WWII profited from Saving Private Ryan.

His combat didn't matter because it wasn't a single battle in the Korean war? Generally I agree with your posts WT I just don't understand this one. Lots of US service members fought in battles besides the chosin reservoir and their accounts matter. (Besides, neither I nor you would know about it if someone hadn't said something.)

In my family I knew my great grandfather on my father's side who served in WWI, my grandfather and his brothers (that survived, on my father's side) who served, to a man, in the pacific theater of WWII and my grandfather on my mother's side who served in Korea. Didn't say shoot about it. None of them. That was just their way. On the other hand, if they had, I would be too busy managing my inherited fortune to talk to you idiots on an internet forum. Just because he wrote about it (like many, many before him) his heroism doesn't count any more?

Be aware that I'm not denigrating your decision to not read a book or watch a movie, just saying I don't understand your reasoning. This guy served in the military version of the NFL. He was the best of the best and, reasonably, got pretty lucky in engagements. Some folks, even in the NFL, are nobodies but some folks are record breakers. He wanted to tell his story and he profited from it before he was killed by some idiot. You can not to watch it for whatever reason but I have to question questionable reasoning.

I mean fudge it, I only have like 6 good stories from around a decade of farting around with the idiotic criminals Alabama has to offer but I'll still write a book and fill in a bunch of stories from some guy named token.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:50:07 AM by smooth_operator »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
totally unreasonable

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1794 on: January 23, 2015, 05:58:44 AM »
You lost all credibility wen you told WT that generally you agree with his posts.  Didn't read the rest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1795 on: January 23, 2015, 06:36:58 AM »
The people who survived WWII didn't come home and whine about it, blame their service for their inability to function in society All they did was help build the greatest society in the history of the world instead of bitching and moaning. 

Those guys saw horrors that soldiers in subsequent wars could not even fathom. And they manned up, nutted up, endured and then thrived. 

What happened to Gary Cooper? The strong, silent type. That was an American. He wasn't in touch with his feelings. He just did what he had to do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #1796 on: January 23, 2015, 08:34:15 AM »
I don't understand. His account doesn't matter because he spoke and wrote about it? Studies show that talking and writing reduce the effects of PTSD. Furthermore I think there should be more written about military experiences because it increases public awareness. Wouldn't you rather the entertainment generated by the war on terrorism come from and be profited by those who sacrificed to participate? No GIs from WWII profited from Saving Private Ryan.

His combat didn't matter because it wasn't a single battle in the Korean war? Generally I agree with your posts WT I just don't understand this one. Lots of US service members fought in battles besides the chosin reservoir and their accounts matter. (Besides, neither I nor you would know about it if someone hadn't said something.)

In my family I knew my great grandfather on my father's side who served in WWI, my grandfather and his brothers (that survived, on my father's side) who served, to a man, in the pacific theater of WWII and my grandfather on my mother's side who served in Korea. Didn't say shoot about it. None of them. That was just their way. On the other hand, if they had, I would be too busy managing my inherited fortune to talk to you idiots on an internet forum. Just because he wrote about it (like many, many before him) his heroism doesn't count any more?

Be aware that I'm not denigrating your decision to not read a book or watch a movie, just saying I don't understand your reasoning. This guy served in the military version of the NFL. He was the best of the best and, reasonably, got pretty lucky in engagements. Some folks, even in the NFL, are nobodies but some folks are record breakers. He wanted to tell his story and he profited from it before he was killed by some idiot. You can not to watch it for whatever reason but I have to question questionable reasoning.

I mean fudge it, I only have like 6 good stories from around a decade of farting around with the idiotic criminals Alabama has to offer but I'll still write a book and fill in a bunch of stories from some guy named token.
Look, I don't want to get into an argument because I know that you will go cop and shoot WT as I'm reaching for the keyboard.

But I don't know what there is to disagree with in my post. I'm stating my opinion, which matters more than yours, and is that I admire veterans from that era more. Only used Korea as an example.

And I'm certain that my families military is much longer and more distinguished but I don't have time this am to expound. I have important and high level work to do.

Honestly, I realize that these accounts (sniper boy, Blackhawk down, killing Osama, etc) were great acts and heroic. But really, these guys were just doing their job and creative license is surely there.

Please don't shoot me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1797 on: January 23, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »
Shoot him.  Shoot him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #1798 on: January 23, 2015, 10:19:15 AM »
The people who survived WWII didn't come home and whine about it, blame their service for their inability to function in society All they did was help build the greatest society in the history of the world instead of bitching and moaning. 

Those guys saw horrors that soldiers in subsequent wars could not even fathom. And they manned up, nutted up, endured and then thrived. 
What happened to Gary Cooper? The strong, silent type. That was an American. He wasn't in touch with his feelings. He just did what he had to do.

Horror is Horror, no matter when the time. Yes, modern technology has made destroying and mangling the human body much easier, but a mangled body in 1942 is no different than one in 1992. You may not believe this but part of the reason that were able to adapt better was they had time to decompress, a lot them stayed in country after they finished and were assigned roles to help the local population rebuild, which in turn helped them rebuild themselves. Then they took a slow boat home. After one deployment I was home in less than 18 hours from being in country. We just didn't have time to adjust, we went from one extreme to the other.

I am not saying anybody is right or wrong on this. I still haven't made up my mind to go see the movie. As for him coming home and profiting from this I have no problem. I seriously doubt he went to Hollywood and was shopping scripts running around telling people he was the USA most deadly sniper. I would like to think they approached him and he saw a way to tell his story and have his family benefit from this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #1799 on: January 23, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »
Shoot him.  Shoot him.

It's duck season
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions