Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos' way behind movie reviews

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Kaos' way behind movie reviews
« Reply #982 on: February 07, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

There are few movies that transcend generations.  Few that are almost note for note perfect. 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of those.  I remember watching it when I was just out of high school. My oldest watched it when she was about 14.  My youngest watched it tonight.  The things that were funny to me in 1986 were just as funny to them in 2003 and 2012.

The cast is outstanding.  Ferris under anyone else's hand could have come off as a jerkwad jackass. Broderick played the role with just the right combination of cockiness, smarm and vulnerability.

Jennifer Grey was way cuter with her regular face and frizzy hair than she was after the surgery.  She had just the right amount of spaz.

Mia Sara was delicious. She looked like a young Jane Seymour. 

Rooney was outstanding.  He said more with his dead expressions than he ever could have with words.

The parents were perfectly clueless.

If you look you can see short appearances by Louie Anderson and Kristy Swanson too.

It's a teen movie but it's timeless.  I wouldn't want to watch it every day, but it's something I don't mind coming back to occasionally. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #983 on: February 08, 2012, 03:09:15 AM »
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

There are few movies that transcend generations.  Few that are almost note for note perfect. 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of those.  I remember watching it when I was just out of high school. My oldest watched it when she was about 14.  My youngest watched it tonight.  The things that were funny to me in 1986 were just as funny to them in 2003 and 2012.

The cast is outstanding.  Ferris under anyone else's hand could have come off as a jerkwad jackass. Broderick played the role with just the right combination of cockiness, smarm and vulnerability.

Jennifer Grey was way cuter with her regular face and frizzy hair than she was after the surgery.  She had just the right amount of spaz.

Rooney was outstanding.  He said more with his dead expressions than he ever could have with words.

If you look you can see short appearances by Louie Anderson and Kristy Swanson too.

It's a teen movie but it's timeless.  I wouldn't want to watch it every day, but it's something I don't mind coming back to occasionally.
Great Movie Bueller, Bueller?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

JR4AU

« Reply #984 on: February 08, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Yep, every time I stumble across it scrolling channels, I at least look in to see a little of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #985 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:57 AM »
You're the sausage king of Chicago?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #986 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:50 AM »
You touch me and I yell rat
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #987 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »
The place is like a museum. It's very beautiful and very cold, and you're not allowed to touch anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #988 on: February 13, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
Watched a bunch of movies this weekend. Figured I'd share.

The Descendants - As is the case with most movies expected to rake in Oscars, this movie was ok, but I can't quite understand the magnitude of hype it received. It was a good movie. I suspect that if George Clooney wasn't the lead, it would have been viewed as the 6 it was, instead of the 9 or 10 that SAG seems to think it is.

The Rum Diary - From one movie that kind of over-represented the white people in a tropical island US state, to one that even more so over-represented the white people in a tropical island US territory. It was pretty awesome though. All the elements you'd expect from a Hunter S. Thompson story are there. A metafiction "Gonzo" story about a newspaper journalist's crazy adventures that involves heavy boozing and at least one scene involving LSD. Having been to San Juan several times and marrying into a family originally from there, it was pretty cool to see it represented the way it was in this movie. Small things like every night scene featuring the coquís chirping, made it seem authentic. I definitely recommend this one.

The Woman - This movie is apparently a sequel to a movie called Offspring, about a feral forrest-dwelling cannibal tribe getting loose into suburbia. From what I can tell, it's completely unnecessary to see that film to watch this one. All you need to know, as it explains at the beginning of this film, is that one woman from that tribe remains, living alone in the woods. Without giving too much away, the plot centers around a suburban Stepford-esque family somewhere in the south. One day, the patriarch is hunting in the woods when he decides to capture this woman, and chain her up in the cellar to attempt to "civilize" her. The WTF's slowly snowball until the final act, where they spin out of control. This is a weird one, but I liked it a lot.

The Human Centipede II - The original Human Centipede, much like The Woman, was shocking and strange, but still a surprisingly good movie. You're probably thinking, how in the fuck could a movie with that ludicrous premise be even semi-decent. Well, that's kind of why I guess I was surprisingly pleased. I guess I didn't expect much from it, and it turned out to be as well executed, and as tastefully done (no pun intended), as could have possibly been the case for a movie like that. The Internet was abuzz from horror fans about how let down they were by this. People wanted to compare it to A Serbian Film. They wanted to be shocked and disgusted. They felt like a film with this premise fell short of so many opportunities to be truly disgusting. Well, it appears as though the director took this criticism and said "You think you wanted that movie, you sick fucks? Fine, here's that movie then." Shot entirely in black and white, and with very limited dialogue, this movie is about a demented and slightly retarded parking lot attendant, who apparently was sexually and mentally abused by his parents. His mother, still living with him, abuses him daily. This psychopath is obsessed with the Human Centipede movie. To the point he keeps a book with the "medical" drawings, pictures of the cast presumably printed off of IMDB, scenes from the film, etc. And he watches it on repeat on the job in his parking lot attendant's booth. In one scene, he masturbates to it using sand paper. Just because. It's that kind of movie. Apparently, this guy wants to realize the goal that the antagonist from the first film set, which was to build a much larger Human Centipede, consisting of 12 people instead of three. He preys upon victims in his parking lot, stitching them together. He tries to get the actors from the original to be a part of the chain, convincing one (the "back end" from the original movie) by telling their agents that he was conducting an audition for a Quentin Tarantino film. Everything that was left to the imagination in the first one, was cheaply and explicitly done in this one. For example, it quite graphically shows him cutting out the ligaments in the victims' knees. There's a lot more blood involved. The shit-in-mouth scenes are more grotesque. In an "artistic touch", the only color in the film is applied to the shit that sprays out of the ass of the back end of the centipede in one scene. How avant guarde! Also at one point, he wraps barbed wire around his dick and rapes the back end of the centipede. Just because. It's that kind of movie. If there is any artistic value whatsoever to this movie, it could be that it is a big "fuck you" to fans of the original, especially those that said they wanted it to be sicker and more over-the-top. The main antagonist is the personification of those sick fucks. And the film itself is what they claimed they wanted. I may be giving him too much credit though. Maybe it just sucked.

The Other F Word - Probably not a lot of people here were into the whole 90's skate punk thing, with bands like NOFX, Rancid, and Pennywise like I was. If you were, don't miss this movie. It's about the dichotomy of being this out of control anarchist screaming "fuck authority", on stage in your day job, and then trying to raise a family at home. It's kind of a coming-of-age type of story about how these eternal children kind of have to grow up to raise their own kids. The film heavily centers around the band Pennywise, especially singer Jim Lindberg. It chronicles their last tour, and shows that he misses his family, and ultimately (spoiler) quits the band mid-tour. I didn't know until I saw it in this movie that they had broken up. Apparently, the reason for Pennywise serving as the centerpiece is because the whole concept was based on a book Lindberg had written called "Punk Rock Dad". However, it also prominently features Lars Frederiksen from Rancid, Mark Hoppus from Blink-182, Fat Mike from NOFX, Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Art Alexakis from Everclear, Joe Escalante from The Vandals, Tony Adolescent from The Adolescents, Brett Gurewitz from Bad Religion, Duane Peters from U.S. Bombs, Ron Reyes from Black Flag, pro skater Tony Hawk, amongst many other punk icons. I can see how if you were never into these kinds of bands, this would be of no interest to you, but if you were, definitely watch this one.

Lenny Bruce - Swear To Tell The Truth - This last one wasn't a new release, and I really don't have much commentary for it. I didn't know much about Lenny Bruce, considering he died 16 years before I was born. That motherfucker was cool, though. I suspected he might have been, considering all I really knew about him prior to watching this is that George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and several other "envelope pushers" all cite him as their inspiration, and he is often referred to as the first public "bad boy". The film shows how by a certain point in his career, after he had reached a certain level of infamy, he was arrested after virtually every one of his shows, because as one interviewee put it "If he went to a town and they didn't arrest him, it perceived as something wrong with that town." It's almost surreal to see someone say the things he was saying on film in the 1950s, considering that it's miles away from Ward Cleaver, and everything else I've ever seen from that era.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:02:40 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #989 on: February 13, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
One more, I left out.

The Rock-afire Explosion - A documentary about the rise and fall of Show Biz pizza. As a child of the 80's, this was some serious nostalgia. The film centers around a handful of fans that are now in their 30s, but are obsessed with the Rock-afire Explosion (the animatronic band fronted by Billy Bob the bear). One guy, from Alex City, Alabama, had collected the entire show. He had the full stage exactly as it appeared in a Showbiz Pizza, completely set up and operational in a room in his house. As a hobby, he would program the robots to perform modern pop songs.

Here's an example. If you look at this on YouTube, you will see that there are tons of other songs he has programmed.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #990 on: February 13, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
Watched a bunch of movies this weekend. Figured I'd share.

The Descendants - As is the case with most movies expected to rake in Oscars, this movie was ok, but I can't quite understand the magnitude of hype it received. It was a good movie. I suspect that if George Clooney wasn't the lead, it would have been viewed as the 6 it was, instead of the 9 or 10 that SAG seems to think it is.

The Rum Diary - From one movie that kind of over-represented the white people in a tropical island US state, to one that even more so over-represented the white people in a tropical island US territory. It was pretty awesome though. All the elements you'd expect from a Hunter S. Thompson story are there. A metafiction "Gonzo" story about a newspaper journalist's crazy adventures that involves heavy boozing and at least one scene involving LSD. Having been to San Juan several times and marrying into a family originally from there, it was pretty cool to see it represented the way it was in this movie. Small things like every night scene featuring the coquís chirping, made it seem authentic. I definitely recommend this one.

The Woman - This movie is apparently a sequel to a movie called Offspring, about a feral forrest-dwelling cannibal tribe getting loose into suburbia. From what I can tell, it's completely unnecessary to see that film to watch this one. All you need to know, as it explains at the beginning of this film, is that one woman from that tribe remains, living alone in the woods. Without giving too much away, the plot centers around a suburban Stepford-esque family somewhere in the south. One day, the patriarch is hunting in the woods when he decides to capture this woman, and chain her up in the cellar to attempt to "civilize" her. The WTF's slowly snowball until the final act, where they spin out of control. This is a weird one, but I liked it a lot.

The Human Centipede II - The original Human Centipede, much like The Woman, was shocking and strange, but still a surprisingly good movie. You're probably thinking, how in the fuck could a movie with that ludicrous premise be even semi-decent. Well, that's kind of why I guess I was surprisingly pleased. I guess I didn't expect much from it, and it turned out to be as well executed, and as tastefully done (no pun intended), as could have possibly been the case for a movie like that. The Internet was abuzz from horror fans about how let down they were by this. People wanted to compare it to A Serbian Film. They wanted to be shocked and disgusted. They felt like a film with this premise fell short of so many opportunities to be truly disgusting. Well, it appears as though the director took this criticism and said "You think you wanted that movie, you sick fucks? Fine, here's that movie then." Shot entirely in black and white, and with very limited dialogue, this movie is about a demented and slightly retarded parking lot attendant, who apparently was sexually and mentally abused by his parents. His mother, still living with him, abuses him daily. This psychopath is obsessed with the Human Centipede movie. To the point he keeps a book with the "medical" drawings, pictures of the cast presumably printed off of IMDB, scenes from the film, etc. And he watches it on repeat on the job in his parking lot attendant's booth. In one scene, he masturbates to it using sand paper. Just because. It's that kind of movie. Apparently, this guy wants to realize the goal that the antagonist from the first film set, which was to build a much larger Human Centipede, consisting of 12 people instead of 3. He preys upon victims in his garage stitching them together. He tries to get the actors from the original to be a part of the chain, convincing one (the "back end" from the original movie) by calling their agents and setting up an audition for a Quentin Tarantino film. Everything that was left to the imagination in the first one, was cheaply and explicitly done in this one. For example, it quite graphically shows him cutting out the ligaments in the victims' knees. There's a lot more blood involved. The shit-in-mouth scenes are more grotesque. In "artistic touch", the only color in the film applied to the shit that sprays out of the ass of the back end of the centipede. How avant guarde! Also at one point, he wraps barbed wire around his dick and rapes the back end of the centipede. Just because. It's that kind of movie. If there is any artistic value whatsoever to this movie, it could be that it is a big "fuck you" to fans of the original, especially those that said they wanted it to be sicker and more over-the-top. The main antagonist is the personification of those sick fucks. And the film itself is what they claimed they wanted. I may be giving him too much credit though. Maybe it just sucked.

The Other F Word - Probably not a lot of people here were into the whole 90's skate punk thing, with bands like NOFX, Rancid, and Pennywise like I was. If you were, don't miss this movie. It's about the dichotomy of being this out of control anarchist screaming "fuck authority", on stage in your day job, and then trying to raise a family at home. It's kind of a coming-of-age type of story about how these eternal children kind of have to grow up to raise their own kids. The film heavily centers around the band Pennywise, especially singer Jim Lindberg. Apparently, the idea for the film was based on his book. It chronicles their last tour, and shows that he misses his family, and ultimately (spoiler) quits the band mid-tour. I didn't know until I saw it in this movie that they had broken up. Apparently, the reason for this is that the whole concept was based on a book Lindberg had written called "Punk Rock Dad". However, it also prominently features Lars Frederiksen from Rancid, Mark Hoppus from Blink-182, Fat Mike from NOFX, Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Art Alexakis from Everclear, Joe Escalante from The Vandals, Tony Adolescent from The Adolescents, Brett Gurewitz from Bad Religion, Duane Peters from U.S. Bombs, Ron Reyes from Black Flag, pro skater Tony Hawk, amongst many other punk icons. I can see how if you were never into these kinds of bands, this would be of no interest to you, but if you were, definitely watch this one.

Lenny Bruce - Swear To Tell The Truth - This last one wasn't a new release, and I really don't have much commentary for it. I didn't know much about Lenny Bruce, considering he died 16 years before I was born. That motherfucker was cool, though. I suspected he might have been, considering all I really knew about him prior to watching this is that George Carlin, Richard Pryor, and several other "envelope pushers" all cite him as their inspiration, and he is often referred to as the first public "bad boy". The film shows how by a certain point in his career, after he had reached a certain level of infamy, he was arrested after virtually every one of his shows, because as one interviewee put it "If he went to a town and they didn't arrest him, it perceived as something wrong with that town." It's almost surreal to see someone say the things he was saying on film in the 1950s, considering that it's miles away from Ward Cleaver, and everything else I've ever seen from that era.

tl/dr

Is your name Kaos?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #991 on: February 13, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »
One more, I left out.

The Rock-afire Explosion - A documentary about the rise and fall of Show Biz pizza. As a child of the 80's, this was some serious nostalgia. The film centers around a handful of fans that are now in their 30s, but are obsessed with the Rock-afire Explosion (the animatronic band fronted by Billy Bob the bear). One guy, from Alex City, Alabama, had collected the entire show. He had the full stage exactly as it appeared in a Showbiz Pizza, completely set up and operational in a room in his house. As a hobby, he would program the robots to perform modern pop songs.

Here's an example. If you look at this on YouTube, you will see that there are tons of other songs he has programmed.

Weren't you about 5 when the 80's ended?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #992 on: February 13, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
Weren't you about 5 when the 80's ended?
Eight. Show-Biz (and Chuck-E-Cheese) is primarily for kids under ten, so I was a prime patron.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #993 on: February 13, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
Eight. Show-Biz (and Chuck-E-Cheese) is primarily for kids under ten, so I was a prime patron.

Show-Biz was the shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #994 on: February 13, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »
Show-Biz was the shit.
You should watch the movie.

I think it's on Hulu for free.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #995 on: February 13, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
You should watch the movie.

I think it's on Hulu for free.
Cliff Notes version of what happened to ShowBiz???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #996 on: February 13, 2012, 11:41:48 AM »
Cliff Notes version of what happened to ShowBiz???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rock-afire_Explosion#Concept_unification
ShowBiz Pizza Place was similar to (and competed with) Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre, another restaurant chain that was popular in other parts of the United States. In the mid-80s, both venues began to suffer financial difficulties, partially due to the video game crash of 1983 and also due to Showbiz Pizza's having opened more restaurants than they could afford to maintain. When "Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre" filed for bankruptcy in 1984, Showbiz Pizza bought the company, hoping that new talent and merchandising opportunities could save both companies.[1]

The corporation maintained the two restaurant chains simultaneously for several years. Each continued its own stage shows and sold different merchandise. However, in the latter part of the decade, relations between Creative Engineering and Showbiz began to cool. In 1988, Aaron Fechter, the founder of Creative Engineering and creator of the Rock-afire Explosion, claimed that the fallout between his company and Showbiz arose when Showbiz asked him to sign away the licensing and copyrights to the Rock-afire Explosion, which would have allowed Showbiz to cut production costs on the show, such as manufacture of future shows and royalty payments to Creative Engineering. Fechter refused, both on the grounds that Showbiz offered no monetary compensation for the rights, and because Fechter had hoped to franchise Rock-afire out as a cartoon series.[1]

Showbiz began toying with the idea of replacing The Rock-afire Explosion with licensed characters, such as Spider-Man or Garfield, and three locations actually retrofitted the robots at stage left into Yogi Bear and Boo Boo[1]

Ultimately, the company decided to enact a process called "concept unification," in which all Showbiz Pizza locations would be remodeled into Chuck E. Cheeses. The remodel included the elimination of all Rock-afire characters from merchandise and advertising and retrofitting/reprogramming the Rock-afire Explosion robots into a new show called Munch's Make Believe Band featuring the Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre characters. Unused animatronics and props were either sold off to other restaurants or destroyed.[1]

"Concept unification" began in 1990 and occurred sporadically at Showbiz locations for the next two years, with the final Showbiz being converted in 1992.[1] As concept unification began at each location, the left and center stages of the Rock-afire show were shut down, leaving only the Rolfe and Earl characters operational. During this period, the characters performed "The Rolfe and Earl Show," featuring the voices of Showbiz employees imitating the characters; the two ran a highlights reel of old Rock-afire shows and wondered aloud what the band would do now, and hinted at the coming Chuck E. Cheese-themed show. "The Rolfe and Earl Show" was the final Rock-afire show; after concept unification had been completed on the center and left stages, Rolfe and Earl were themselves removed.[2]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:46:20 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #997 on: February 13, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »
Dream House

Made the mistake of watching an extended trailer before getting the movie.  Because of that the whole "surprise reveal" was transparent and it became a game of waiting for the stupid characters to catch up to what I already knew. 

Not a bad film, but not a good one either. 

I'm sick of seeing Daniel Craig in every damn thing.  He's not that good an actor.  In fact he's extremely limited.  His efforts to emote in this film were borderline ridiculous.

Rachel Weisz was fair but completely clothed at all times.  Naomi Watts was awful. 

Few scares, little mystery, just not much to recommend this.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #998 on: February 13, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »

Bullshit....I still go to Chuck-e-cheese and play skeeball every weekend. Don't any of them youngsters want none of this old man at teh skeezball.

I keed, but seriously - Showbiz > Chuck-E-Jizz by a country mile. Show Biz was the titz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #999 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
Bullshit....I still go to Chuck-e-cheese and play skeeball every weekend. Don't any of them youngsters want none of this old man at teh skeezball.

I keed, but seriously - Showbiz > Chuck-E-Jizz by a country mile. Show Biz was the titz.

Been so damn long, I can't even remember where the Showbiz Pizzas were in the area.   My brother is teh skiball champeen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions