Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Doctors sound the Alarm on a certain Flu Virus....

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Doctors sound the Alarm on a certain Flu Virus....
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:51:47 PM »
Doctors sound alarm on the Pig Flu
Julia Medew
April 27, 2009

AUSTRALIANS have been urged to look out for symptoms of a deadly swine flu that appears to have spread from Mexico to New Zealand, France and the US, sparking fears of a major pandemic.

Australia's chief medical officer Jim Bishop briefed hospital emergency departments and GPs on the flu's symptoms at the weekend after the World Health Organisation warned it was a "public health emergency of international concern".

The new strain, feared to have killed at least 81 people in Mexico and infected 11 in the US, also appeared to have affected 10 New Zealand students who tested positive for Influenza A when they returned home from Mexico on Saturday.

"Ministry of Health officials advise me there is no guarantee these students have swine influenza, but they consider it likely," NZ Health Minister Tony Ryall said in a statement.

None were considered seriously ill and most seemed to be on the road to recovery, he said.

French health authorities had also found two suspected cases of swine flu in travellers returning from Mexico and others were expected to follow, general health director Didier Houssin told Le Parisien newspaper.

Swine influenza is a highly contagious acute respiratory disease of pigs. Symptoms in humans generally include upper respiratory problems, but the air-borne illness can cause severe pneumonia and death.

Professor Bishop said the current strain seemed to be a hybrid form of human, bird and pig flu, which could be transmitted from human to human.

He said although there were no known cases in Australia, emergency departments were alerted to the potential for cases late on Saturday and GPs were notified yesterday.

Professor Bishop said Australia was well stocked with Tamiflu and Relenza, believed to be useful against the flu. It is not expected that the Australian seasonal influenza vaccine will provide protection against this new strain of the swine flu.

Greens senator Bob Brown criticised the Government's response as too slow, given it learnt of the outbreak on Saturday. He said the nature of modern air travel meant it should be vetting travellers from the Americas coming to Australia either directly or indirectly.

"This is obviously a potential cause of huge trauma and misery around the world, including Australia," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/doctors-sound-alarm-on-pig-flu-20090426-ajeg.html

This shit is Serious....The last time a flu was able to jump from swine to humans was in 1918, it was called the Spanish Flu, when it killed over 20 Million people Worldwide.  But, this is one of the few times, maybe the first time, that a flu strain has been able to jumped from human to human, originating from the pig flu.

If you come into contact with a lot of people every day, wash your hands as many times as you can.

Predictions from the CDC suggest that 200,000 in the US could die if a particularly virulent strain of flu struck the country

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/489385.stm
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:01:25 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Doctors sound the Alarm on a certain Flu Virus....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Maybe we should cancel our game against Arkansas this year...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 10:30:29 PM »
Maybe we should cancel our game against Arkansas this year...
C'mon baby. Give me a smooch. I have the immunities built up in my system. :moon:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:39:53 PM »
This shit is Serious....The last time a flu was able to jump from swine to humans was in 1918, it was called the Spanish Flu, when it killed over 20 40 Million people Worldwide.  But, this is one of the few times, maybe the first time, that a flu strain has been able to jumped from human to human, originating from the pig flu.

http://vir.sgmjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/84/9/2285
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »
And I leave for Mexico on Saturday......fucking wonderful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:50:25 PM »

Damn, I didn't even think about that.  Rescheduling may not be the worst decision you have ever made. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 02:20:09 PM »

Shake hands with as many people as you can find.  Extend a warm U.S. of A. greeting to help spread the love.  Perhaps a kiss on the cheek, as is customary in many countries arouind the globe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »
Can we send Obama back down to Mexico for another summit or something?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 04:53:15 PM »
Damn, I didn't even think about that.  Rescheduling may not be the worst decision you have ever made. 
Carnival will tell me to kiss their ass. If its really bad by this weekend they just won't dock and we will circle around offshore from the ports in Mexico. Worst case scenario we circle around at sea and I get about half of my money back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »
I'm coughing like crazy and I'm tired.  I'm also craving BBQ.   :vn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 10:36:03 PM »
Carnival will tell me to kiss their ass. If its really bad by this weekend they just won't dock and we will circle around offshore from the ports in Mexico. Worst case scenario we circle around at sea and I get about half of my money back.

Check with them if you are worried.  I know some airlines have already begun waiving the change fee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 11:16:56 PM »
Check with them if you are worried.  I know some airlines have already begun waiving the change fee.
I did, they're not refunding anything at this point. Personally, I would be fine with a 5 day cruise to nowhere. That would mean two less days I would have to hike around in the hot ass Mexican sun. They will still sail, we just won't get to go to any ports and they will refund 35-40% of the cruise price. We paid $1350 for this fucking thing, so getting a little cash back would be OK.

Also, when you really start looking at it, you get nickled and dimed to death with these cruises. You pay $40-$50 for parking, customary $1 per bag tip to the porter, $50 per person gratuity charge. They take a $100 refundable deposit for your Sail and Sign card. THEN you board the ship. You get fisted like The Prowler on a Friday night on any alcoholic drinks. Soft drinks and bottled water aren't much better. I am looking forward to the topless deck, however.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
I am looking forward to the topless deck, however.

Carnival eliminated this a few years back. There are still signs that say "adults only deck" but you aren't allowed to be topless anymore  :bs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
I'm coughing like crazy and I'm tired.  I'm also craving BBQ.   :vn:
That's 3 of the 5 symptoms. The other 2 are when you squeal when you sneeze and get a hard on when watching a Ned Beatty movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

RWS

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:35:31 PM »
Carnival eliminated this a few years back. There are still signs that say "adults only deck" but you aren't allowed to be topless anymore  :bs:
In that case, fuck Carnival. Also, fuck Carnival for canceling our stops in Mexico. Supposedly they will schedule a new itenerary such as Jamaica or the Grand Cayman Islands, but they won't tell anybody for sure until after 5 PM EST tomorrow. I know I won't be going to Mexico, but they won't let me know what my options are as far as cancel with refund, reschedule for Mexico, etc until sometime tomorrow. Total bullshit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
In that case, fuck Carnival. Also, fuck Carnival for canceling our stops in Mexico. Supposedly they will schedule a new itenerary such as Jamaica or the Grand Cayman Islands, but they won't tell anybody for sure until after 5 PM EST tomorrow. I know I won't be going to Mexico, but they won't let me know what my options are as far as cancel with refund, reschedule for Mexico, etc until sometime tomorrow. Total bullshit.
I have been on many a cruises, and let me tell you, Jamaica is 1000 times cooler than Mexico anyways.  Also, Grand Cayman sucks...so just hope for Jamaica. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
I have been on many a cruises, and let me tell you, Jamaica is 1000 times cooler than Mexico anyways.  Also, Grand Cayman sucks...so just hope for Jamaica. 
Well, the Fantasy is out at sea right now and they ended up sending to to Key West. I'll be damned if I go on a cruise to cruise to my own fucking country. I'm hoping that was just an "Oh fuck, we don't have a plan B and we're already out at sea."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »
Well, the Fantasy is out at sea right now and they ended up sending to to Key West. I'll be damned if I go on a cruise to cruise to my own fucking country. I'm hoping that was just an "Oh fuck, we don't have a plan B and we're already out at sea."
Eh, this seems like a win win situation.  I definitely understand your anger with the situation though.  I have been to Key West, and it is a blast.  So, I guess glass half full? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
Eh, this seems like a win win situation.  I definitely understand your anger with the situation though.  I have been to Key West, and it is a blast.  So, I guess glass half full? 
Yeah, but we can get to Key West and have a damn good time for alot less than $1300 not on a boat. As long as we're going somewhere other than Key West or a 5 day cruise to nowhere, I'm cool with that. As I said before, I'm not going to pay $1300 to get on a boat and sail to my own country, and I'm not going to be stuck on a boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico for 5 days either. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »
Yeah, but we can get to Key West and have a damn good time for alot less than $1300 not on a boat. As long as we're going somewhere other than Key West or a 5 day cruise to nowhere, I'm cool with that. As I said before, I'm not going to pay $1300 to get on a boat and sail to my own country, and I'm not going to be stuck on a boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico for 5 days either. 

Jesus man, you sure are mad.  I would think that any scenery would be better than the port-a-potty and tire swing you're used to looking at from the window of your doublewide.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions