Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Gentlemen, Start Your Steaks

Gentlemen, Start Your Steaks
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:00:36 PM »
I've never known how to grill.  How the fuck do you grill meat?  I can cook any cajun dish, but when it comes to the grill, I know nothing. 

I'm going to be grilling a couple of NY strip steaks tomorrow night.  Do I marinate them?  Just add a few seasonings?  How long should they stay on the grill for medium? 

It's a charcoal grill. 

Okay.  Educate me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Gentlemen, Start Your Steaks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
Marinating for at least a few hours is a good idea and you just have to figure out what works best for your taste.  Thousands of recipes out there and I'm sure you'll hear more than a few of those on this thread.  Can't go wrong marinating with Dale's Steak Seasoning.  Comes in a bottle and just coat each side good and close em' up in a container and pop em' in the fridge until ready to put on the grill.  You can look in the same section where you find the Dale's or ask the meat dude at the store about some other marinates.

To grill, put the charcoal in a pile and soak it real good with the lighter fluid.  Let it sit a few minutes so the charcoal will soak it up.  Maybe squirt a little more on just before lighting.  Let them burn in a tight pile until they're ready (Most of the black has burned off and the coals are glowing) then spread them out evenly.  You'll want to put the lid on for a minute or so before putting the steaks on so the coals will cool down, otherwise, you may burn the steaks right off the bat. 

I put my steaks on and put the lid back on the grill, checking them every minute or two to make sure they're not burning.  About 10 minutes a side and you should be about at medium.  Take a knife and cut into them to check and see if they're done like you want them. 

The key to all of this is to start drinking the minute you start preparing.  Grilling anything is about preparation and buzz.  You'll eat it all in about 5 minutes, but it's the journey that counts.  If you have oiled yourself up properly, you won't give a shit what you cooked.  It'll all be good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »
Don't put the steaks in the fridge while marinating. Steaks cook better if they are more at room temp. Also, I usually keep my charcoal pushed to one side. That way you can move your steaks around to the heat you desire. I usually put the steaks right over the coal for about 15 seconds on each side to lock in the juices. Then I move they steaks to more indirect heat and cook them slow. The easiest way to tell the steaks are done is to cut into them, doing this however, you lose some juice and some flavor out of the steaks. I can tell how well my steaks are done by simply pressing them. The more firm the steak is, the more well done it is. This may take a little practice though...

Harvey is right though about the drinking. A beer in hand is a necessaity the minute you start preparing...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:26:43 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
Marinating for at least a few hours is a good idea and you just have to figure out what works best for your taste.  Thousands of recipes out there and I'm sure you'll hear more than a few of those on this thread.  Can't go wrong marinating with Dale's Steak Seasoning.  Comes in a bottle and just coat each side good and close em' up in a container and pop em' in the fridge until ready to put on the grill.  You can look in the same section where you find the Dale's or ask the meat dude at the store about some other marinates.

To grill, put the charcoal in a pile and soak it real good with the lighter fluid.  Let it sit a few minutes so the charcoal will soak it up.  Maybe squirt a little more on just before lighting.  Let them burn in a tight pile until they're ready (Most of the black has burned off and the coals are glowing) then spread them out evenly.  You'll want to put the lid on for a minute or so before putting the steaks on so the coals will cool down, otherwise, you may burn the steaks right off the bat. 

I put my steaks on and put the lid back on the grill, checking them every minute or two to make sure they're not burning.  About 10 minutes a side and you should be about at medium.  Take a knife and cut into them to check and see if they're done like you want them. 

The key to all of this is to start drinking the minute you start preparing.  Grilling anything is about preparation and buzz.  You'll eat it all in about 5 minutes, but it's the journey that counts.  If you have oiled yourself up properly, you won't give a shit what you cooked.  It'll all be good.

i agree; however, i feel marinating tender cuts of steaks are not required unless you are trying to achieve a particular flavor...such as teriyaki.  i prefer to season those cuts with lemon pepper, garlic pepper, black pepper and salt, or many others that i have in the pantry.  

when it comes to marinating, i leave it for the not-so-tender cuts such as chuck, round or tri-tip. you can further distinguish between dry or wet marinates (rubs).  there are plenty of them on the shelf in the grocery store.  

i don't use a charcoal grill.  i have a ducane (natural) gas grill but i'm looking to purchase a traeger wood pellet grill that can be used as a smoker too.  my grill setting, initally, is at high heat for searing both sides quickly then i reduce it to medium heat for cooking.  i like my steaks medium rare to rare while my wife likes them medium-well.  cooking time will vary between different cuts and thicknesses.  i purchase a 1/4 of a steer and have it butchered to my liking (3/4 inch on the tender cuts; 1/4 to 1/2 inch on other cuts).  

imo, one of the most under-rated cuts is the chuck eye steak.  it does need marinating.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:13:10 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:38:27 PM »
I feel like I'm becoming more of a man just reading this thread. 

The NY stips are thick and from fresh market, so I think I'm going to go with a dry rub.  I'll let you know how it turns out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:40:42 PM »
The key to a good home cooked steak is to turn it often.  It takes longer to cook (more time to drink) but is worth the effort to not make them taste like shoe leather.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 11:32:51 PM »
I feel like I'm becoming more of a man just reading this thread. 

The NY stips are thick and from fresh market, so I think I'm going to go with a dry rub.  I'll let you know how it turns out. 
Spray Pam on the grill before you cook, Make sure your grill is hot. Put the steaks on and leave them alone. Another tip turn the steaks in quarter turns, the steak should only be flipped once.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Spray Pam on the grill before you cook, Make sure your grill is hot. Put the steaks on and leave them alone. Another tip turn the steaks in quarter turns, the steak should only be flipped once.

Best advice...  Pam works nicely and KEEP THE GRILL CLOSED!  Too many people open the grill too often letting the heat escape.  You end up cooking 2-3 times longer than necessary. 

I like my steaks to be closer to Capital Grille or Morton's quality, so I use thicker cuts and cook with a much higher heat.  Thickness should be 1 3/4 to 2 inches or larger if possible...  Anything less than an inch is difficult to cook evenly. 

Dales is great...  Use it!  Let the steaks stand at room temperature before cooking. 

Depending on the temperature of your grill and thickness/cut of your meat, it should only take 4-5 mintues per side to achieve a good medium rare to medium. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »
If you marinate the steaks with dale's, don't marinate for more than 15-20 minutes or that's what your steaks will taste like. If I were you I would coat the outside of the steak with olive oil and buy a dry rub for the steaks. I personally think that dale's ruins steaks. If you live in Bham then get some mr. p's marinade, it's a million times better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »
If you marinate the steaks with dale's, don't marinate for more than 15-20 minutes or that's what your steaks will taste like.

Good point...  I don't normally do multi-hour or overnight marinating.  Since you may not know the flavor of Dales, try the 15-20 minute suggestion.  I don't find Dales to overpower any of my steaks, but a thicker steak from a butcher isn't going to be affected as much as some of those typical supermarket cuts. 

By the way, I don't recommend the advice of trying to "seer in the juices" as some like to suggest.  It doesn't really work.  It only adds to the charring of the exterior which does potentially add flavor, but if you're struggling with flare-ups during your first few grilling experiences, you might end up with too much charring ruining the flavor.  I think the trick is to cook on a high heat as quickly as possible.  The slower cooking methods tend to dry out your steak. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
Knock it's horns off. Wipe it's fuzzy little ass and bring it on out.

I like mine almost rare. Just warm it up real good.

Dale's for a short amount of time is nice. If you need less sodium, Moore's is available and is pretty much the same thing. If you have a Kroger, the Kroger steak sauce is the same as Dale's for much less.

A nice thick cut of meat will not need a sauce. Little garlic salt and pepper will do. But it makes more economical meat taste like heaven.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
garlic salt

Throw that shit in the trash.

Use fresh garlic, minced garlic, or garlic powder (in that order).

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JohnDeere

• Pledge
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »
Throw that shit in the trash.

Use fresh garlic, minced garlic, or garlic powder (in that order).

I thought garlic salt and garlic powder were the same thing, just different names.

We got some culinary geniuses on this board. You guys need to start like a cooking board, maybe hide it for members only, to protect your 'manlyness'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
I like to use a mixture of dale's, beer, and garlic.  I let it marinate for about an hour before I throw it on the grill.  I usually only flip my steaks once.  I purchased a new gas grill yesterday, and it is pretty nice.  I do have a charcoal grill that I love, but sometimes I like the quickness of the gas grill.  Anyway, it is an infared gas grill that has a metal grate that distributes the heat evenly, and prevents flare ups.  Worked great last night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »
I thought garlic salt and garlic powder were the same thing, just different names.

I thought Choat and South were the same thing, just different names.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 03:56:34 PM »
We've got one of those hole in the wall wine shops called The Cellar, with a meat counter that easily cuts up the baddest filets in these parts.  Pretty much everything they have is awesome, from buttefly pork chops to their seafood...which is actualy fresh.  But the big key to their stiff is the "Cellar Dust" they sprinkle on their meat upon request.  No other marinate needed.

An inch and a half filet, wrapped in bacon and dusted up....hold on, I just had to wipe a little drool off the keyboard. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »

Not the same at all.  Garlic salt is an abomination, it is overly salty to the detriment of any garlic flavor to be had.  Garlic powder is one step up: no salt, but still a poor substitute for the real thing.  Use fresh.

We got some culinary geniuses on this board. You guys need to start like a cooking board, maybe hide it for members only, to protect your 'manlyness'.

Shit, I'm not ashamed of my skillz.  If'n I don't make it, I will starve.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »
Not the same at all.  Garlic salt is an abomination, it is overly salty to the detriment of any garlic flavor to be had.  Garlic powder is one step up: no salt, but still a poor substitute for the real thing.  Use fresh.

Very few things more manly than grilling a big butt steak.  Leave the potatoes and veggies and other foo-foo items to the women folk.  A man's gotta' concentrate on his meat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »

Listen to him.  His woman is easy on the eyes but she can fuck up delivered pizza.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JohnDeere

• Pledge
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
I thought Choat and South were the same thing, just different names.

I'm not as smart as he is.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions