Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Questions about this OC choice

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Questions about this OC choice
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Let me say first off, I'm happy with the hire and you can't argue the numbers.  I hope it energizes this program and gets some big time recruits pumped about Auburn.  Lord knows, we need a few playmakers. 

However, I was surprised by this choice because I thought Chiz came in and emphatically stated we would be getting back to pounding the ball.  I've seen the rushing numbers from Tulsa, impressive.  Except that any numbers run up against UTEP and Cal Poly San Louis O'Buttfuck does nothing for me.  But, from everything I've seen, they didn't run out of many traditional sets and they fling it all around the field.  That's fine with me as long as it works but the choice seems to go against the grain for what CGC came in and said he wanted to do.

Now having said that, I don't recall Arky running anything remotely similar to what Tulsa runs.  Was that Nutt's influence or did Malzahn adjust to their strengths...and I would dare say that McFadden and Felix Jones would be considered strong points. Hawgs on the board, what did you think of CGM and has he changed his style in recent years? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JDHog

• SuperAdmin
    • woopig.net
Re: Questions about this OC choice
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »
Gus isn't as pass happy as some might lead you to believe.  He is very creative and he will get your playmakers the ball in positions where they can make plays.

When Arkansas beat Auburn in 2006, we only passed 10 times the whole game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:46:42 PM »
Great...now we are back to making plays in space??
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »
I think there was a fine line between people wanting to run the ball, and how to run the ball, and lastly, when to run the ball.  To explain, I think we can all agree that we've all been around and heard fellow Auburn fans scream "Throw it downfield!!!".  I think we all want that from time to time.  However, we also all agree that we heard the "just pound it in there from the "I" inside the 15 yard line".   Gus Malzahn's offense fits that mold.  He's going to run out of different sets, includeing the "I", shotgun, ace formations, but he believes in stuffing it down your throat in the redzone.   He's NOT Tony Franklin, and I think after reading some serious feedback over the past few days, that Auburn fans will be happy with his approach to offense once they actually get to see it, and stop guessing about what they MIGHT see.

JMO...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »
The spring game will be a must see this year!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 01:31:59 PM »

Sell out of 87,000 at A day, oh wait we aren't  the Satan worshipping necks
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:32:53 PM »

Agreed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
Gus isn't as pass happy as some might lead you to believe.  He is very creative and he will get your playmakers the ball in positions where they can make plays.

When Arkansas beat Auburn in 2006, we only passed 10 times the whole game.

See this is what I recall about that game.  Mitch Mudstain only threw it a handful of times and it was always at the perfect time.  I'm hoping that it was a case of Malzahn realizing he had a young, inexperienced QB and two studs in the backfield so he adjusted his offense accordingly.  I was blown away to see what he did with Tulsa and the type of O he ran there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tulsa

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 01:45:11 PM »
Now having said that, I don't recall Arky running anything remotely similar to what Tulsa runs.  Was that Nutt's influence or did Malzahn adjust to their strengths...and I would dare say that McFadden and Felix Jones would be considered strong points. Hawgs on the board, what did you think of CGM and has he changed his style in recent years? 

He was limited under Nutt.  But that Wildcat offense was all Gus.  He ran the same thing when he was coaching at Springdale High School.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 02:36:51 PM »
 He's NOT Tony Franklin...

Can you get this notarized for me? 

My name is Nellie.

I remember reading much similar jubilation at the hire of Frankin. I cringed then and I've got a twinge of a cringe now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »
I thought the hiring of Franklin was off the wall and way too much of a departure from traditional Auburn football.  Then, like so many others, I watched the Clemson game and wondered how anyone in the nation stood a chance against such a formidable offensive powerhouse like teh War Eagles with Franklin at the helm.

Needless to say, my football prognosticating skillz rival those of small hampster.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »
I thought the hiring of Franklin was off the wall and way too much of a departure from traditional Auburn football.  Then, like so many others, I watched the Clemson game and wondered how anyone in the nation stood a chance against such a formidable offensive powerhouse like teh War Eagles with Franklin at the helm.

Needless to say, my football prognosticating skillz rival those of small hampster.

Or even a hamster?  You damn pre-madonna.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »

My name is Nellie.

I remember reading much similar jubilation at the hire of Frankin. I cringed then and I've got a twinge of a cringe now.
Gus had us dreaming big until HDN handcuffed us.
This is a bit of his style when some true freshmen were inserted in an assraping game vs USC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 04:43:41 PM »
What was that thing back there throwing the ball and handing it off? 

Does Auburn have one of those?  If we do, we need to use it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Greaseyweasel

• Love Auburn, Hate chizik. 'nuff said.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 05:07:19 PM »
I've thought about this hire a lot today. It fits in with the complete disjoination going on down on the plains now. 
"Going back tothat old smash mouth style of Auburn football"
"Money is no object"
"Gonna get the best coach available"

There are as many lies coming from this fucktarded regime in power as there are flies circling tuscaloosa.
Folks I believe that despite wanting to feel good about it I can not escape the deep seated belief that we have fisted ourselves this time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You've got to learn to stand for something

or you'll fall for anything.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »
I've thought about this hire a lot today. It fits in with the complete disjoination going on down on the plains now. 
"Going back tothat old smash mouth style of Auburn football"
"Money is no object"
"Gonna get the best coach available"

There are as many lies coming from this fucktarded regime in power as there are flies circling tuscaloosa.
Folks I believe that despite wanting to feel good about it I can not escape the deep seated belief that we have fisted ourselves this time.

Yeah, I'm sick of the fucking lip service we always seem to get. 

All hat no cattle.

That was the tag applied to Chizik by the ISU faithful.  And it certainly fits everything I know and have seen from Jay Douchebag Jacobs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »

My name is Nellie.

Malzahn will be different.  We'll actually get to see if his system works.  Well, hopefully. 

Tony Franklin didn't even get a chance to fuck up.  The assistants he was working with assured that outcome. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »
BTW, weasel...Gus Malzahn, in his presser today, stated that in his offense We'll be a run first-pass second type of offense and that We will be a physical Smash Mouth offense when need be....and that We'll throw it Vertical.  His offense will be ran out of the I, Pro Set, Shotgun, Singleback, No Back and Shotgun Five Wide, and the Wildtiger.
So either, Suck it up and get behind the Auburn Tigers or change your colors....I'm assuming you're an Auburn fan.
Constructive Criticism is a good thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »
BTW, weasel...Gus Malzahn, in his presser today, stated that in his offense We'll be a run first-pass second type of offense and that We will be a physical Smash Mouth offense when need be....and that We'll throw it Vertical.  His offense will be ran out of the I, Pro Set, Shotgun, Singleback, No Back and Shotgun Five Wide, and the Wildtiger.
So either, Suck it up and get behind the Auburn Tigers or change your colors....I'm assuming you're an Auburn fan.
Constructive Criticism is a good thing.

Whoa, dude, I promised the Weasel before I invited him here that there would be none of that "who's a true Auburn fan" stuff going on here.  That's what characterizes AUundercover.

From everything I've seen and read, Weez is a Tiger.  His colors are fine. 

There's no "approved" position on this site.  He can be just as pissed off and raging as me.  And he's pissed off at Jay Jacobs and those who pull the strings.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »
Then that was directed at you too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs